One more kiss, dear

Awake at Night, I'll Be Singing to the Birds

 

 

 

 

     Seulgi hears of a night market festival at the fishing village the next town over. Elated at the possibility of experiencing something new with Joohyun, she bounds into their home greeting the vampire with a tight hug that makes them lose their balance. The edge of Seulgi’s desk digs into Joohyun’s lower back but she barely notices the discomfort when Seulgi smiles wide, beaming like she wants Joohyun to count her teeth. 

     “Have you ever gone on a vacation, Hyun?”

     Joohyun ponders for a few seconds. “No, actually. I haven’t really traveled anywhere for the sake of enjoying things.”

     “Well then, I believe I have an offer you can’t resist,” Seulgi hints at her plans.

     “Why are you blinking like that? Are you alright?”

     “That was supposed to be a wink!” Seulgi huffs as Joohyun laughs at her failed attempt. “Anyway,” she clears , “would you like to go on a short trip with me? There’s a night market event at the lakeside village near here. We can go by carriage. You don’t have to agree if you don’t want to.” Seulgi adds the last part hastily, not wanting to seem like she’s pressuring Joohyun.

     “I’d love to,” Joohyun replies.

     “What?”

     “I said I’d love to,” she reiterates. “Have you so little faith in me, bear?” 

     “Oh…” The nickname sinks in. “That’s new”

     “You don’t like it?”

     “No! I mean, I don’t mind. I-I like it.” Seulgi’s cheeks turn rosy and it makes Joohyun giggle.

     The vampire’s laughter quietens and she reaches forward to intertwine her fingers with Seulgi’s. “So, when do we leave?” 

 

 

***

 

 

     Just as they arrive at the night market, fireworks start illuminating the sky, causing Joohyun to jump. The sound was deafening to Joohyun’s sensitive hearing.

     “It’s loud.” Joohyun pulls Seulgi by the lapels of her jacket and hides in Seulgi’s arms.

     “I’m sorry, Hyun. Just bear with it for a little longer. Do you want me to cover your ears?.”

     “No. But please keep talking. It helps me focus.”

     “Okay. Is there anything else I could do?”

     Joohyun pauses and brings Seulgi’s hand to the middle of her chest, drawing it in slow circles. Seulgi follows the action and does it on her own whilst talking about the weather until Joohyun signals that she’s feeling better. The light show ends and the crowd disperses. 

     The sea of people moves around them and before they follow, Joohyun tugs on Seulgi’s sleeve. “Hold my hand,” she says. “Please.”

     They walk around the lakeside village hand-in-hand, buying items from merchants here and there. Joohyun notices Seulgi eyeing the food stalls they pass by, but the bear doesn’t say anything. 

     “Do you want to head over there?” Joohyun points to a stall selling grilled seafood.

     “No, it’s fine.” 

     “I insist, Seulgi. It’s alright. It’s not like I could get hungry from watching you eat food anyway.”

     Seulgi hesitates and looks at Joohyun with a pout. “Okay… But it’s so unfair! I feel bad that you can’t enjoy the food. I guess I should’ve expected this from a market whose main industry is fishing.” 

     “You are fighting a one-sided battle, Seul. I enjoy watching you eat.”

     “I still feel guilty though. I wish we could enjoy this together.” 

     “We do! You enjoy the food, and I enjoy seeing you happy. Don’t worry about it”

     They approach the stall, and Joohyun elbows her and points at the food. Seulgi is excited despite her slight guilt and heartily orders several skewers of fish, crab, and shrimp. 

     Seulgi looks tantalizing under the warm light of the hanging lanterns. Her cheeks bunch up in joy as she receives the food, and Joohyun feels as if the sight before her is too wholesome to be viewed by the likes of her. She does not deserve any of the time she spends with Seulgi, but she is forever thankful. Joohyun grins from ear to ear in wonder as she watches Seulgi enjoy herself. They sit on a bench overlooking the waters next to the stall. 

     Seulgi notices Joohyun boring holes on the side of her face with her stare and swallows her food. “Hyunnie?”

     “Hm?” Joohyun watches the way Seulgi’s lips glisten red, the sauce leaving a stain. 

     “I have the feeling that you’re trying really hard not to kiss me right now. And I give you permission to just do so.”

     Joohyun looks away abashed, lightly hitting Seulgi on her arm. “Seulgi!”

     The woman laughs at the embarrassed vampire. Oh, how she wishes she could see Joohyun blush. The sight of it would make her melt.

     “Am I wrong?”

     “Just… shut up,” Joohyun utters before kissing her.

 

 

***

 

 

     “Hyun, it’s almost time!” Seulgi hops around in glee, dragging Joohyun by her hand to the pier. She buys two paper lanterns and asks Joohyun to hold them as she pays to borrow a small wooden boat. 

     “Welcome to Seulgi’s party boat! Hop in.” Seulgi turns in the small boat with her arms spread wide, making the boat sway as if it was about to turn over.

     “Seulgi!” Joohyun gasps in shock. “Be careful. You’re going to fall!”

     “Nah, don’t worry. This boat and I have bonded already. She won’t let me fall.”

     “It’s a boat, not a horse, you bear.” Joohyun sighs exasperatedly as she cautiously steps in. Seulgi holds her hands and guides her to sit, taking the lanterns and setting them down. 

     Grabbing the oars, Seulgi rows them out to the middle of the lake. Joohyun keeps her eyes on Seulgi or the sky. Her hands tremble on her lap amidst the warm breeze and a thick jacket on her shoulders. Seulgi stops rowing and gently holds Joohyun’s hands, playing with her fingers until they stop shaking.

     Joohyun dismisses Seulgi’s worry. “This is beautiful,” she says instead. Looking up at the sky and the faraway lights from the festival. 

     “Just you wait,” Seulgi smirks as she takes the two lanterns from the floor of the boat, passing one to Joohyun, and lights them up.

     Just then, Joohyun sees the pier gleam even brighter, the lights blinding. The scene mirrors on the surface of the water and it’s the manifestation of heaven and hell converging into one. She gapes at the view and is taken back to reality by Seulgi’s giggles.

     “Are you ready?” Seulgi asks with a cheeky smile.

     “For?”

     “Let go of the lanterns,” Seulgi bids as she pushes Joohyun’s hands upward, letting go of her own lantern.

     As Joohyun stares at the paper lantern floating into the distance, Seulgi tenderly cups her face, guiding her to look at the pier once more. 

     Joohyun is speechless as she watches hundreds of lanterns fly, like tangible stars. The waters looked celestial as they warped the reflecting light. The beauty of what she sees has her heart flooding with love at the thought that Seulgi had brought her here. Seulgi had thought of Joohyun and none other when she heard of this rapturous celebration of the heavens and she feels so loved.

     “Seul…” she whispers with tears in her eyes, a smile never leaving her face. “Thank you. Thank you so much.”

     “Anything for you, Hyun.”

     Joohyun lunges forward and hugs her. She kisses her all over muttering “thank you” in-between each kiss.

 

 

***

 

 

     “You’re afraid of water, Hyun?” asks Seulgi as she watches Joohyun’s tense shoulders go slack once they’re back on land. They’re strolling somewhere farther from the crowd, overlooking the festivities as they walk amongst the cicadas’ symphony.

     “Yeah. We don’t really have a good history together.” Joohyun scrunches her nose playfully. “But that’s in the past. You’re my present now and… you’ve made some bitter memories sweet again. I wouldn’t mind water if it’s with you.”

     “May I ask what happened?”

     “Oh,” Joohyun drags out the word and hums a short melody. “I trusted a group of people I shouldn’t have.” She smiles, but it doesn’t reach her eyes. “They found out I was a vampire by accident and lied to me saying they wouldn’t tell. Fast forward a week later,” Joohyun stops walking, and so does Seulgi. She looks out to the horizon, past the waters. “They and a few others ambushed me, lured me into false safety, and tied me down to a large stone.” Her forced smile had thinned out into a straight line. “Those ropes must have been made from the strongest Godforsaken fibers known to man.” 

     Seulgi puts her free hand on Joohyun’s chest. She was starting to breathe erratically, an involuntary action. “You don’t have to tell me more if it hurts.”

     Joohyun shakes her head. She had to get this off of her psyche. She couldn’t bear to keep it all to herself anymore. 

     “T-They threw me into the lake.” Joohyun s her arms under Seulgi’s and clutched at the back of her shirt, pulling her in. “I-I couldn’t breathe… the water was cold-- I was drowning and--” Joohyun hiccups. Seulgi the back of her head as a way to ease the pain. “I c-couldn’t get out. It hurt. It hurt so much for so long. I was stuck there for days… a week? I don’t know.” 

     Joohyun’s legs gave way and her entire weight was being supported by Seulgi. “I wanted to die. , I wanted to die. I couldn’t. I g-got out eventually. I had to--” 

     Her mind is flooded with nightmares of her thrashing against the sharp rocks at the lake’s floor to cut the ropes, mangling her own body in the process. Tearing her flesh apart and painting the surrounding water red. The stone she was tied to crushed her legs. The sunlight barely reached the bottom of the deep lake. Hitting her just enough to be excruciating, but not ending her misery. She had to crawl out, agonizing with deep cuts all over. The days of exposure to sunlight and not feeding prevented her wounds from healing quickly. The anguish didn’t end when she was back on land. Her body expelled all the water in her lungs at once, and it felt like fire. Like she was being burned from the inside out. There, she lied, mind empty and numb as her body went through harrowing pain under the scorching sun. Unable to cry out, she suffered endlessly on the rocks by the lake, the water clawing at her feet and wetting her cheek as the moon rose. Her spirit was utterly broken.

     Joohyun started scratching at her arms again and hitting her head in Seulgi’s hold. “Hey, hey, it’s alright. You’re with me. It’s Seulgi right here beside you. Focus on me, Joohyun.” 

     Joohyun had her eyes screwed shut and she could barely hear what Seulgi was saying. Seulgi gently took Joohyun’s hands and placed them on her chest, resting her right hand atop Joohyun’s chest. “Breathe with me, Hyun.” She inhales. “In,” Joohyun copies a few seconds later. “And out.” 

     Seulgi helps Joohyun until her breaths no longer shake. Remembering to keep her touches on Joohyun's hands and chest and nowhere else. She talks throughout it all, just like Joohyun had told her before.

     For several minutes, all that could be heard was the sound of leaves rustling lightly in the breeze. If the full moon could speak, she would be singing a lullaby. A blanket of solitude across them, but not lonely. Simply the feeling of the world around them existing with them in it.

     “I’m sorry for ruining tonight,” Joohyun mumbles when she finally relaxes. Her eyes are glued to the tiny pebbles on the dirt path. 

     “Don’t be. You didn’t ruin anything.” Seulgi brings Joohyun’s hand towards her lips and places a tender kiss. “Thank you for trusting me. And I’m sorry you had to go through that.” Seulgi’s eyes reflected pure sorrow. 

     Joohyun wrapped her arms around Seulgi’s neck and rested her head against her collarbone. “Let’s go home, Seul.” 

     Yet they stay still for a few minutes more, knowing home was no longer a place, but each other. 

 

 

***

 

 

     A week later, Seulgi’s hair is tied into a bun on the top of her head. She sits on a stool behind their home, sketchbook in hand, as she watches Joohyun draw images of the stars above with her hands frantically waving. Pointing to the heavens, she tells Seulgi of the myths behind each star and constellation. 

     It started off as a request from Irene to stargaze with her. Apparently, the moon was special that day, bigger and brighter than ever. They sat in the dark, a small lamp lighting Seulgi’s sketches.

     “Seulgi, um,” Joohyun fiddles with the hem of her shirt, “Can you draw something for me.”

     “Of course! Hell, I’ve been waiting for the day you’d ask.”

     So here they were, Joohyun waving her hands like a mad conductor as she tells stories about the stars, cheeks raised and eyes crinkling as she speaks. And Seulgi jots down every detail, listening attentively to every word and drawing them to perfection. Her bangs get in the way as she draws, long enough to veil her vision but too short to tie.

     “You’re so cute,” Seulgi blurts out as Joohyun takes a pause from her monologue about stars. 

     “Huh?” Joohyun looks at Seulgi incredulously. “Am not!”

     “You are! You love the stars so much I can almost see stars in your eyes.”

     “You’re so…” Joohyun lightly punches her on the shoulder.

     “So what?”

     “Nothing.” Joohyun playfully tsks and swings her attention to the pages in Seulgi’s sketchbook. Leaning closer against the woman, almost resting her head against Seulgi’s chest. “Wow,” she gasps, astonished.

     “I only drew what you told me to.” Seulgi gets shy and looks away. Her eyes wander until they land on Joohyun right next to her. The lavender scent of her hair was mild and saccharine. Joohyun was so close. Seulgi could see every blemish, every mole. She could count the soft hairs framing the sides of Joohyun’s face as she tucks her hair behind her ear to see the drawings better.

     “What are you talking about?! These are incredible!” Joohyun cheers in awe while facing Seulgi to emphasize her sincerity.

     “And I told you already. The beauty of my art is dependent on your vivid descriptions.” Seulgi delicately places her hand on Joohyun’s head, petting her softly. “Art gains its beauty from the passion that fuels it.”

     Joohyun looks down, back to the sketchbook on Seulgi’s lap. “I just like the sky, is all. It’s pretty.” She rests her head against Seulgi as she continues to her hair. “I used to try and wake up before the first crow of the roosters. The sky is beautiful, even more so at dusk and dawn.” 

     “Each sky is different. No clouds are the same at any time of the day. Some skies are ruddy, others a bright royal blue. The same sky could be as clear and vast as still ocean waters one moment, and a dark grey obscuring the surroundings in shadows the next. Despite all that, we are still under the same sky. It’s comforting knowing that someone else across the sea could be looking up, and we’d be seeing two vastly different sights of one sky.” Joohyun holds the hand on her head and guides it around her shoulders. She hooks her pinkie with Seulgi’s before continuing.

     “I loved the sunrise especially. There’s something so precious about witnessing a scene that most let pass without a second thought. The world is barely awake, and everything feels so tranquil. I often missed the sunrise, though. I’d sleep late the night before and wake up late as a result. The rare times I would witness the sunrise felt like visiting an old friend. The sun doesn’t leave, no matter how long I’ve been gone. Sometimes, I miss the sun’s warmth like an old lover.” Her grip on Seulgi’s hand tightens.

     “The sky stays. All the people I’ve met. All the loved ones I’ve lost. They’ve seen the same sky we look at in the present. In turn, the sky has seen every first love, every heartbreak.” Joohyun looks up at the full moon. “I wonder what stories the sky would tell if it spoke. Perhaps the sky stays silent by choice. To witness the lives of so many, It’s a colossal burden.” 

     They stay silent as Joohyun’s words sink in. An orchestra of crickets and cicadas accompanying their thoughts. 

     “Hyunnie.”

     “Hm?” Joohyun moves away slightly to face Seulgi. 

     “Hyunnie, you look like sunshine,” says Seulgi as if it was the only thing she knew to be true. In the dark of the night, to her, Joohyun was the sun--warm, ageless as truth, steadfast, and omnipresent. She was a bloom of brilliance in Seulgi’s mundane world. Her presence alone was exhilarating. Joohyun was never one for thrills and danger, yet Seulgi’s heart constantly felt like she was falling off of cliffs. 

     Joohyun leans forward and kisses Seulgi. It’s sudden and fervent before the emotions start to ebb away into something more delicate. Their mouths move slowly against each other. Joohyun hopes this is enough for Seulgi to understand. All the words she couldn’t say, all the feelings she couldn’t describe, all the affection, happiness, and love, she pours it all into the kiss. 

     It’s as if Seulgi just knew the right things to do, the right things to say. Seulgi would go on tangents about the most random topics, talking about everything and saying nothing at all. Yet she could convey so much with a few simple words. Joohyun had never felt so much color in her life of monochrome shades of red.

     Joohyun breaks the kiss. As much as she wanted to give Seulgi more, to love Seulgi as she deserved, she couldn’t. Not yet. The slightly distraught expression on Joohyun’s features only fans the flames of Seulgi’s yearning. 

     “Loving is not a weakness, you know?” 

     “I know. It’s just easier said than done.” Joohyun stares into Seulgi’s soul, searching for answers. “Do you not fear the inevitable? That one day love will stop? One day, you’ll no longer be here to keep your promises?”

     “Even if forever with you is just a minute, I’ll spend forever repeating in moments we’re together.” Seulgi smiles. “And I’m glad you know even though I have not told you yet.”

     “I love you, Joohyun.”

     Her tongue is tied, conflicted on what to say, so she settles with a quick peck and hugs Seulgi with as much love as she has in her tiny body. 

 

 

***

 

 

     Because of her grown-out hair, Seulgi constantly has to push it back. And every time it gives Joohyun palpitations. How could one be so attractive doing something as mundane and mindless as Seulgi running her fingers through her own hair? Joohyun’s starting to get annoyed with the odd warmth that builds whenever Seulgi does that, so she insists on giving her a haircut.

     They sit outside in Seulgi's tiny front yard--if it could even be called that. There was only a small patch of grass leading up to the gravel path connecting the house to the rest of the village. Joohyun bites her lip in concentration as she brandishes the scissors on her hand.

     “How should we do this?” Joohyun mutters to herself.

     “I don’t know. You’re the one who suggested this,” responds Seulgi.

     “I know, I know. I just don’t want you to strangle me in my sleep if I mess this up.”

     “Oh, it’s whatever. Anything by you is beautiful anyway. I trust you to make me pretty.”

     Joohyun stays quiet at Seulgi’s cheesy words and focuses on cutting her hair. Seulgi laughs silently at her own greasiness. They fall into a comfortable silence before Seulgi suddenly speaks.

     “We can be defined by the things we want,” says Seulgi. Her eyes are closed as the scissors move near her fringe. Joohyun pauses for a second and steps back to look at Seulgi, and she meets her stare. 

     Seulgi steels her voice, full of conviction, she says “You’re not just a vampire or a girl who met misfortune. You’re not a monster.” 

     Joohyun stays silent and continues with cutting Seulgi’s hair. Her expression doesn’t fall, and Seulgi takes this as Joohyun trying to believe her words. “What do you want, Seulgi?”

     Seulgi hums with her eyes closed once more while Irene gives her short, choppy bangs. “I want--no--I’ll be a life of free haircuts from the one that I love.” She finishes her words with her eyes opening and looking up at Joohyun, an honest smile on her lips and pure innocence in pools of dark brown. 

     Irene steps back and sees her work, sees the genuineness in Seulgi’s eyes, and she finds herself believing Seulgi’s every word. The only doubt swirling in her mind is the possibility of her hands not breaking something so beautiful, someone so precious. Seulgi is magnetic with her new haircut. And Joohyun did that with her own hands.

     “How do I look?”

     Joohyun swoops down and kisses her tenderly. She wraps her arms around Seulgi’s shoulders, pulling her impossibly closer, then sits on her lap. Joohyun halts their kiss for a second, barely pulling away, to say what her heart yearns to say.

     “Beautiful,” is what leaves in ragged breaths. I love you stuck in .

     “I love you too,” Seulgi responds. 

 

 


A/N

some fluff and a lil angst for yall. i hope youre all doing well <3

sorry for the wait! i hope you enjoyed reading

im also sorry if the inconsistent updates feel like im about to abandon this story. i do have an outline for it and am planning on finishing it. were already 1/4 done! i'm just very bad at managing my time and i've been very busy

thank you again! <3