State of grace

Awake at Night, I'll Be Singing to the Birds

 

     Seulgi wakes to a different script in the same scene. Her ears are greeted with the soft clanging of pots and pans instead of birds chirping or the distant crow of a rooster. She lays in the same space she always does, but it feels odd; different in a way that she feels is good, but the change is slightly jarring. When she opened her eyes, there was not much of a difference. It’s dark and quiet, save for the rustling in her kitchen. The abrupt shift from waking when the sun was at its highest, sweltering heat contrasting the cold winds of winter, to the gentle hums of the night felt surreal. Instead of a cacophony of cattle, people, and myriads of songbirds whose call reached far and wide, she’s met with muffled and dulled murmurs of the small world around her.

     Noticing the lack of biting frost next to her, her small bed feels spacious. Seulgi’s naturally gotten used to Joohyun’s cold proximity. Her mind wanders off to reveries of her and Joohyun in the summer, how her cool presence could perfectly contrast and complement Seulgi’s susceptibility to heat. Her hugs would feel like a safe haven to the feeling of melting outdoors. A grin crawls on her face that immediately fades away as quickly as it came. Seulgi chastises herself for forgetting the very obvious fact that Joohyun is a vampire. She bites her lip and waves off the slight disappointment she feels. She needn’t spend the summer with Joohyun. The night was enough. Joohyun is enough. 

     Seulgi brings herself back to reality and gets up from bed. The smell of food was what roused her from slumber. Her home smelled sweet along with the usual savory scent from Joohyun’s meat and vegetable dishes. Seulgi especially loved it when she cooked soups. She reckoned it was Joohyun’s specialty. The act of drinking soup from her bowl made her feel closer to Joohyun, strangely enough. Doing the same actions during the rare times they shared meals together, although blood was in Joohyun’s cup, felt domestic. She silently sits at the table and watches Joohyun’s back, her hair tied up showing the tendons of her neck flexing and relaxing, soft shadows cast by the fire she was using to cook. The scar of a bite is dissonant on her skin. Seulgi feels a tug to kiss her there, and on her jaw, her cheek, her nose, the corner of her lips… 

     “Seulgi, you’re up,” Joohyun turns and greets in pleasant surprise. The smile on her face is lopsided, rising slightly higher on the right. Her ears seem to just jut out and frame her face so… adorably? Seulgi wants and wants. She wants to get closer, wants to hold her, wants to tell her sweet nothings. 

     “Y-yeah,” she stutters idiotically. Seulgi sees Joohyun’s brow curl into a frown. She might’ve taken Seulgi’s awkward response as a remnant of their misunderstanding. However, Joohyun’s smile does not dim. She turns back around and prepares a plate for Seulgi before setting it in front of her.

     “Eat up. Your stomach’s been mad at you since you were asleep.” 

     Before Seulgi could get embarrassed at her stomach growling loud enough to wake the vampire, Joohyun is back to the stove, busy making something familiar, and it sends flutters up and down Seulgi’s spine. She cleans the plate in record time. Joohyun sets another plate on the table and sits next to Seulgi, pushing the food in her direction.

     “Dessert during breakfast? You’re spoiling me,” said Seulgi. “Is this a symbol of our friendship? You, making my own precious s’mores for me? Have I charmed you that easily?” she quips, subtly telling Joohyun that she had no trace of resentment for what had happened.

     “It’s nighttime. This hardly counts as breakfast.” Joohyun catches on and is delighted with the lighthearted atmosphere surrounding them. The smile on her face morphs into a more deliberate smirk. 

     “It’s my first meal of the day!” Seulgi rebuts.

     “Day,” mocks Joohyun in an exaggerated low voice.

     “First meal of the night,” Seulgi corrects herself. “And why s’mores? We don’t have marshmallows--does that mean you went to Wendy’s?” She looks at Joohyun with wide eyes. 

     “Mhm,” Joohyun looks conflicted for a split second, and Seulgi worries. What Joohyun says next makes her feel a little foolish for being so concerned.

     In her most stoic voice and serious expression, Joohyun tells Seulgi “I made these for you. They’re not s’mores. They’re… re’mores.” 

     May the Gods and her neighbors have mercy on her soul because Seulgi just burst out laughing. Tears well up in her eyes as she clutches her stomach. 

     “You,” Seulgi rasped out in between laughs, “are an absolute loser, Joohyun!”

     “What?!” Joohyun responds in lighthearted offense. “I thought that was pretty clever.”

     “Re’mores? Remorse? Joohyun if you’re going to apologize with your lame puns, you have to make me mad more often.” Seulgi guffaws. “I’ll accept every apology.”

     Joohyun snorts and sharply turns her whole body to face Seulgi. She claps her hands against Seulgi’s cheeks and wipes her tears of joy with her thumbs. Slowly standing up, her hands still cupping Seulgi’s cheeks, she leans her face closer. Seulgi’s breath hitches as Joohyun’s cold breaths hit her lips. 

     “Just eat,” she says teasingly. Joohyun walks away after speaking. Her words felt tangible on Seulgi’s lips. The moment was too short-lived. It was too intimate to be glossed over, yet Joohyun had picked up the dishes to wash them as if she didn’t just give Seulgi a near heart attack. 

     The wide smile across Joohyun’s face eases Seulgi’s woes of the vampire being indifferent and unaffected. Seulgi realized her fleeting actions overflowing with affection and pure love, romantic or not, was how Joohyun showed her care. They lasted no longer than a few seconds, but those small infinities could go on for lifetimes if it was up to Seulgi. There were no grand gestures, just small mundane actions that would have gone unseen if Seulgi was not looking closely. 

 

 

***

 

 

     “Joohyun.”

 

     “Joohyun.”

 

     “Hyun.”

 

     “What?” she asks exasperated. Seulgi has been chanting her name like a mantra at random times throughout the week. Because of her new work schedule, Seulgi only had to be gone for four hours during the afternoon. Spending 20 hours with Seulgi was a lot. Honestly, she did not mind it one bit. But she wasn’t going to tell Seulgi that. it would inflate her already huge ego. 

     “Nothing,” Seulgi replies the same every time. She calls for Joohyun and asks nothing in response. Joohyun finds it odd but doesn’t question it. It does not irk her. The way her name rolls off of Seulgi’s tongue is unlike how she says ‘Irene.’ ‘Irene’ sounded eager and peppy in her voice, but the way Seulgi says ‘Joohyun’… She feels it more than hears it. A sense of pining, yet undemanding, Seulgi calls her name like a divine hymn. She calls out to her as if Joohyun’s response would be a blessing bestowed upon her, and not a quest for her to claim.

     It’s a bizarre way of communicating. Joohyun asks ‘what’ and Seulgi replies ‘nothing’ more times than both of them could count. It’s barely a conversation. Yet both of them understand more in those few words than the lengthy talks they’ve had with nameless people in crowds. 

     “Joohyun,” calls Seulgi when she watches her cook or does the laundry.

     “Joohyun~ Joohyun~” hums Seulgi with random melodies as she makes art, carrying on even when she works at the morgue. 

     “Hyun,” beckons Seulgi as she pats the space beside her on her bed.

     They go by Joohyun’s pace. Seulgi no longer overanalyzes her in order to provide unneeded aid. She no longer pushes on her intent to help but is always open. In turn, Joohyun initiates more. She tries to actively seek help when she needs it. She opens up to Seulgi on her own volition, no longer needing to be prodded. 

     It’s unavoidable that fears strike Joohyun at times when her emotions surge, and everything feels uncertain. Nevertheless, she keeps steady. With Seulgi becoming her pillar, Joohyun feels as if the strongest winds could not tear her down. Oceans could reclaim the land, and Joohyun would stay firm and anchored so long as she had Seulgi by her side.

 

 

***

 

 

     Months pass and the blanket of ice cast over the town gives way to blossoms of green and yellow, tulips blooming across the fields. Creatures in their burrows sprout with the flowers. 

     Seulgi seems to glow differently, her aura of friendliness flourishing as she walks around town. Travelers and bards would pass by and play music from around the world. She sees people in Townsquare holding hands, dancing. This doesn’t deter her, but further spurs Seulgi to be with Joohyun and celebrate with her. She wants to bring the spring festivities to Joohyun in their humble abode. 

     Seulgi doesn’t know when it started. The change of seasons brings a change between the two. 

     “Joohyun,” Seulgi cooed as she watched Joohyun dry her hands on a towel. They had just eaten dinner, which Seulgi thought was particularly delicious as more spices were traveling in and out of their town. She stands and walks up to the vampire, holding her hands as she sets down the towel on the kitchen counter. 

     Weeks ago, Joohyun’s eyes would grow wide and she’d be a flustered mess, internalizing all her reactions. Seulgi would revel in the way Joohyun would try to act nonchalant, yet unable to maintain eye contact and fidgeting.

     Now, she smiles; one so sweet it could give you toothaches. The way Joohyun’s fangs lightly pressed on her bottom lip made Seulgi want to just cup her cheeks and squeeze. Joohyun was too adorable in Seulgi’s eyes. She thought of Joohyun’s immortality as a divine sanction to the living on earth--a blessing she’s allowed to bear witness to. It was a selfish thought, so she kept it to herself. 

     Seulgi begins to hum a tune she heard from a traveler that morning. She sways Joohyuns hands from side to side, pulling her to the space between the bed and the dinner table, slowly spinning into place.

     “Dance with me?” Seulgi sways Joohyun in her arms.

     “What brought this on?” asks Joohyun, wrapping her hands around Seulgi’s neck, playing with her hair. 

     “Am I not allowed to want to dance with you?”

     Joohyun moves her right hand to lightly pinch Seulgi’s ear, and it drags across her tan skin to rest at her collarbone. They giggle while dancing slowly in the small space of their home. Joohyun starts to hum a song. 

     “...honey you’re familiar like my mirror years ago~” Seulgi sings the lyrics after recognizing the tune and it elicits a laugh from Joohyun. “Idealism~ sits in prison, chivalry fell on its sword!” She sings the next lyrics exaggeratedly, rocking the woman in her arms around. Lifting Joohyun up, Seulgi breaks into laughter as Joohyun’s shriek pierces her ears while they twirl in circles. 

     They dance for a few minutes longer with Joohyun being thrown around spun like a ragdoll. Laughter fills their home and their hearts as they bask in each other’s presence.

     Panting, they lay on the bed, legs hanging off the edge and Joohyun’s feet just barely touching the floor. Joohyun turns her head to face Seulgi. Her eyes closed and a satisfied grin on her face, Seulgi looks enchanting despite sweat sticking strands of hair to her forehead. The human props herself up on her elbows and turns to her side to look at Joohyun.

     Joohyun watches a drop of sweat trail down from her sideburns, down her jaw, and ever so teasingly down that bobbed up and down as Seulgi swallowed. Her neck was tense from the heavy breathing and the sight of muscles flexing had Joohyun involuntarily leaning in. 

     Seulgi is shocked seeing the unabashed desire in Joohyun’s eyes. The vampire was in a daze, the red of her irises glowing brightly. As butterflies start to swarm in Seulgi’s stomach, the palms of her hands tingling with anticipation, she goes against the instinct to close the gap and instead places her hand on Joohyun’s jaw. 

     “Hyun,” she whispers, “are you sure?” 

     Joohyun exhales heavily, a whine on the tip of her tongue. She opens ready to say yes, please but comes to her senses. She was just hungry, right? Seulgi’s blood was enticing. That’s what she wanted. Nothing else. Not Seulgi’s soft lips just inches away. It was bloodlust stirring a fire at the pit of her stomach. It had to be.

     The vampire lowers her head, clutching the sheets. She buries her head into the crook of Seulgi’s neck in embarrassment. Seulgi chuckles and it grows into soft laughter as Joohyun playfully punches her in the gut.

     “I’m sorry,” Joohyun mumbles and her lips move against Seulgi’s bare skin. 

     “What for?” Seulgi asks, genuinely confused. 

     “I looked at you… weirdly. I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I think I wanted to f-feed since it’s been a long time--not that I would! I wouldn’t want to hurt you.” Joohyun stammers. “I don’t know what came over me. I swear, I never--I would never…”

     “Oh, Hyun,” Seulgi simpers as she slowly pries Joohyun off of her. She finds amusement at Joohyun’s naïvety. Simultaneously, she feels bittersweet at the realization that Joohyun’s so unaware and confused about her own desires after being alone and withdrawn for so long. No matter. She was here now, and she planned on giving Joohyun as much love as she needed. 

     Gently pushing her down onto her back, Seulgi hovers over Joohyun with her hands on either side of the vampire’s head. She sees the same desire from moments ago wash over Joohyun’s expression. Joohyun chastises herself and looks away from Seulgi’s intense gaze. A laugh rumbles in Seulgi’s throat and Joohyun can feel it as the space between them gets smaller. 

     “May I hold you?” requests Seulgi. Joohyun nods as the words get stuck in . She shudders when Seulgi moves to straddle her. “This isn’t bloodlust, Hyunnie,” Seulgi sighs into her ear.

     “Tell me then… what it is,” Irene mutters weakly, her thoughts muddled with thoughts of Seulgi, Seulgi’s touch, Seulgi’s body against her, Seulgi’s eyes pooled with honey. 

     “May I show you instead?” Seulgi teases, breathless. She was falling as if love was chasing her down, her heartbeats fast and erratic. At the confirmation of Joohyun’s drunken nods, she leans closer. “Close your eyes.”

     At the instance their lips touch, Joohyun made a vow of divine devotion. Seulgi tastes like a cure that soothes the soul and does so impossibly. All meaning is gone from her mind, yet all she knows is clarity. She feels a rush and arches into Seulgi, wanting to feel more of her. Tangling her fingers in Seulgi’s hair, she kisses back with passion. 

     When they part, the spell is broken. Seulgi flutters her eyes open whilst Joohyun keeps hers shut, savoring the kiss. Seulgi sees Joohyun’s brows start to knit together and tenderly caresses her face.

     “Hey, hey, it’s okay.” Seulgi reminds her. “It’s alright. I’m here. Don’t let your mind wander. Happy thoughts.”

     “Sorry.”

     “Don’t be.” Seulgi smiles reassuringly. 

     “Then, um, thank... you?” Joohyun corrects herself awkwardly. 

     Seulgi leans back and laughs, ethereal in the fading moonlight bathing the room through the window. She steadies herself by placing her hands on Joohyun’s stomach and the vampire shivers. 

     “Cold?”

     Joohyun opens to object, the cause of her shivers entirely due to the woman on top of her, but sighs in defeat. “Yeah.” 

     Seulgi scrambles off of her and hurriedly pulls the curtains to cover the window. Joohyun lies down more comfortably on the bed. 

     “Wee! Hehe,” Seulgi adorably exclaims as she hops into bed jostling Joohyun from her position. 

      They lie down face to face as Seulgi drapes her arm over Joohyun as the smaller wraps her hands around her waist. Were they lovers now? Joohyun was unsure. However; she was certain of her fondness of Seulgi. Is it love? She doesn’t know yet. And that’s alright. One step at a time.

     “Seulgi, catch me when I fall,” Joohyun asks as she stared into Seulgi’s eyes. 

     “You don’t have to fall, Hyun. I’ll be walking with you. We’ll do this together,” Seulgi asserts with conviction. “I’m choosing to love you. You needn’t worry about me leaving.”