Coffee

Cake by the ocean


Sinb had good reasons to hate coffee, until she met Yerin. 

 


When Eunseo dumped her, she found her best branded shirt soaked in a bucket of black coffee, along with custard cream that she couldn't clean.


When Ryujin dumped her, She poured a big cup of hot coffee over Sinb's head in front of her colleagues dnd friends. 

 

Those reasons were enough to traumatize Sinb of coffee. She swore that she would never drink any kind of coffees for the rest of her life. 

That drink was hell. 

 

 

 

"Sinb, are you busy?” 

Her colleague, Eunha, approached her cubicle. The clock on the wall pointed to 2 PM, it was too late for lunch though. 


"Sort of,” Sinb answered briefly.


"Wanna go for a drink tonight?”


 "Yeah” Sinb gave a short response. 
 

"Okay” Eunha patted her shoulder. 


"Enough with your broken heart, let's find some chick out there” 

 

 


Sinb snorted, Eunha was a horrible playgirl. She had known the girl since forever and she could fulfill her notebook with all the girls. names that Eunha had slept with. Sinb hadn't participated in any Kind of drinking sessions when she was still together with Eunseo, because the women simply didn't like it when Sinb hung out with her friends. It had been a very long time since she joined Eunha's crazy plans. 

 

 

They walked side by side towards the place Eunha had mentioned.

It was located on one of the newly built shop avenues in Seoul. The place they were heading to mainly consisted of coffee shops: Eunha led their steps towards the second floor and entered a shop which was also a newly opened one. She thought Eunha would take her to the bar with beer and wine: this girl must have lost her mind. 

 


"Eunha Unnie, what's this place?” 


"A coffee shop” 


"what" Sinb shivered all of sudden, she didn't like the atmosphere here, it had turned her breathless.


"i'm going home” Sinb turned around, heading towards the exit. 


“Wait, wait” Eunha grabbed her elbow.


 "you'll regret it if you go home without drinking the coffee here" 


“Unnie, you Know how coffee had ruined my life, it's a nightmare” 

 

Eunha shook her head. She kept on dragging Sinb and forced her to sit down on the cafe's chair. 

 

Sinb sighed, grumbling to herself as Eunha pushed the button to call for the barista. The button didn't produce any sound, it blinked a few times and it wasn't very long before a young woman appeared. 

 

She wore a white shirt above a black apron around her waist. She smiled at Eunha and then at Sinb. The latter found something weird on this woman, she didn't speak her greeting. 

Sinb uncomfortably realized that the barista is deaf dnd mute. 

 

"Sinb, this is Yerin, she's the best barista in town" Midget introduced her to the young woman. Sinb wondered how Eunha met this girl, but she would save the question for later. 


Sinb formed a smile on her lips. She pitied and admired the women at the same time. She must have led a hard life to get an acceptable job as a barista. As far as Sinb knew, A barista needed a good ability in communicating, to make sure that their customers were satisfied with their works. A thousand questions appeared in the back of her head, but none of them justified her to drink coffee tonight.

No even with this young deaf pitiful girl before her. 

 

 

Eunha wrote her order and handed the paper to Sinb.

"i don't drink coffee anymore, I've told you many times” she said as she pushed back the paper.


Eunha rolled her eyes but didn't say anything: she took the paper back and handed it to Yerin, whose lips still formed a sincere smile. It made Sinb feel guilty, but she couldn't taste any coffee right now or she would throw up like crazy afterwards. 

 

 

“Where did you meet her?” Sinb asked Eunha after a few minutes.


She couldn't find any connections between Eunha and the girl and what kind of circumstances they had met at. 

 

"i often volunteered at the school for handicapped,” Eunha said briefly. 

 

“You? Volunteered?” She looked at Eunha as if it was the first time for her to see such creature. 


“You must be kidding me.” 


“Whatever,” Eunha sdid calmly.


"I met her there and she told me that she wanted to become a barista, so I helped her to find this job. She worked at the laundry before this, ironing a bunch of clothes every day, can you imagine it? She took courses for barista in the evening and reached her dream, life is hard, dont you think?” 

 

Sinb gulped, glancing at Yerin's tall figure. She couldn't give any answer to Eunha's statement right now. She is still trying to picture Eunha in that school. Talking to handicapped and comforting them. Was it a joke? Eunha was a playgirl after all; where did that other side come from? 

 

“Where did you learn sign language?” Sinb asked as Yerin approached them with Eunha's order. 

 

 

 


It was almost 9 PM when Sinb finished her work on that Friday night. She didn't feel like going back home this early: so, she decided to visit the cafe nearby her office. She wished Eunha were there with her, but Friday meant her hunting time for pretty young girls. 

 

She walked slowly, crossing the crowded street while fixing her scarf around her neck. She almost reached the bar when she noticed a figure in front of her. 


She was about to call the woman's name, but then she remembered that the girl is deaf. Sinb sped up and patted her shoulder. 

 

Yerin stopped and turned at her, she needed a few seconds before recognizing Sinb. She smiled and used her hand to sign something that Sinb didn't understand. 

 

“Are you going home?” Sinb asked slowly. She remembered Eunha had mentioned something about Yerin's ability in reading Lips.


Yerin nodded. 


“Finished work?” Sinb asked again. Yerin gave another nod. 


“Can we go for a drink?” Sinb invited the girl. She had just met this girl once and she didn't know a thing about her, maybe what she felt was a kind of sympathy towards Yerin due to her disability.


She regretted what she had just said. She shouldn't have invited the girl for something like having a drink. 


Yerin shook her head and gave Sinb a sign with her hand, but Sinb couldn't catch the meaning. The girl waved good bye at her and continued her steps forward. Sinb felt a weird loneliness slipped to her heart, she cancelled her plan to go for drink and headed home instead. 

 

 

 


’"Unnie, it's seven in the morning and it's Saturday” Sinb grumbled to her phone. 

 

"You said that you wanted to learn sign language” Eunha voice reached her ear.


Sinb barely opened her eyes, it wasn't the first time for Eunha to wake her up on her precious off day.


"Did I? But definitely not on Saturday morning” 


"I'm downstairs, i'll get there within two minutes" 


“You must be Kidding me” Sinb yawned, rising off of her bed with much effort. She walked towards her door and opened it. Eunha was approaching her room, her lips formed a smile.


"Hurry up, we're almost late"


"You should have called me yesterday" Sinb complained. 


“You would have declined my idea if I told you beforehand" Eunha shrugged. 

 

Sinb washed her face, brushed her teeth and changed her clothes as fast as she could She was ready in ten minutes. She didn't know where Eunha would take her, as long as it wasn't a boring fishing trip she wouldn't complain. 

 

 


"Where are we going?” 


"Yerin's place"


"Ye-Yerin's place?” Eunha nodded. 


“If you want to communicate with her, you have to learn sign language. Besides, you need a real partner to practice and Yerin is a perfect candidate” Eunha explained. 


“You're right" Sinb agreed. 

 


She had only met Yerin twice and she didn't know a thing about that barista. Her guilty feeling still remained inside her chest when she denied Yerin's coffee. Maybe that girl would have been happier if she ordered something that night. But the uninvited memories rushed into her head Eunseo's face when she poured her with a big cup of coffee floated like a big balloon above her. 


“You should try Yerin's creation. She's really a great barista, you can ask her to make a cute puppy or bear inside your cup” Eunha said as they waited for the train. 


"I met her yesterday, I invited her for drink, but she denied” Sinb said, leaning her head onto a pillar beside her. 


"She doesn't drink and she has to come back to her dormitory by ten every night" 


"Oh" Sinb felt another wave of guilty hit her. 


"do you like her?” Eunha asked, leading the way when their train had already come. 


"what kind of like do you mean?”


"it depends on you" 


"I don't know her that much, but I think I like her. Even though half of it is sympathy" Sinb sdid. They sat side by side on the almost empty train. 


"It's okay” Eunha smiled. They talked about work for the rest of the trip but it didn't last for very long, since their stop was approaching. Sinb followed Eunha's steps out from the station they kept on walking until they found a particular building. 

 


"Yerin's dormitory" Eunha said, pointing randomly. Sinb wondered why they needed to come this early to somebody's dormitory but her unspoken question had been answered as Yerin came out with a heavy rucksack on her back. 


"Sinb will accompany you today" Eunha shouted.


"What? Wait! You said that we will-"

 

"Yerin yah, please take care of her” Eunha said as she patted Sinb's shoulder lightly. 


"Where should I accompany her?” 


"Coffee hunting” Eunha winked.


"I have some business to do, have fun" Eunha gave Yerin a light pat as well as she walked away.


Sinb shook her head, she couldn't believe that Eunha would do something like this to her, it didn't mean it is horrible. It's just awkward. 

 

Yerin touched her elbow lightly and nodded as if telling her that everything would be okay. 


Sinb slid out her iPad from her bag and typed something. She showed it to Yerin who nodded understandingly. 

 

 

"I'm sorry I can't talk with sign language yet, is this iPad okay?"

 

 

If it wasn't for Yerin, Sinb would have never stepped foot in those coffee shops which provided the imported coffee from various countries. Yerin visited three shops.

 

Sinb guessed that she had dlready known the people, since they welcomed Yerin warmly and communicated with her without problem. 

 

She didn't think her presence was needed, but Yerin's sincere smile had melted her and she was glad to be here, even though she had to smell coffee all day. 

 

Yerin took a small amount of coffee from a plastic bag and extended her hand to Sinb, requesting her to smell it. Sinb looked at the girl with wide eyes, and she shook her head slowly. The girl gave her a curious gaze and bent her head as a sign that she didn't understand why Sinb declined his doing. 

 

“I don't like coffee” Sinb said. 

 

Yerin raised her eyebrows and smiled at Sinb, and clearly didn't mind her denial. Yerin packed the coffee and ended her purchasing. She set those plastic bags on her rucksack and swang it around her shoulder. 

 

"Let me carry it” Sinb offered help. 

 

Yerin hesitated, but Sinb moved faster, she grabbed the heavy rucksack from Yerin and shouldered it.

 

The girl signed "thank you" and led the way back. They went to the coffee shop near her office instead of the dormitory. Sinb was about to ask why they needed to go there on the off day, but her question was answered Yerin took her tools, she was here to practice. 

 

She created a cute cat on top of the coffee and showed it to Sinb. The latter grinned, not knowing what to do. Yerin took the iPad from Sinb's hand and typed something. 

 

 

"why do you hate coffee?"

 


Yerin sat down beside her, handing her the iPad. 


Sinb typed her reply quickly.


"something happened, coffee had given me bad memories"


"?"

 

"I got dumped"

 


Yerin covered , she laughed. Sinb didn't expect that Kind of reaction but she accidentally laughed with the girl.

 

Her smile is beautiful Sinb thought.

 

"i'll make a cup of delicious coffee for you, would you like to try?"

 

Sinb read what Yerin had written and she needed a few more minutes to reply. 

 

"Thanks, Yerin. But I can't drink coffee, not for a now"

 

 

 

It had been three weeks since she accompanied Yerin to those coffee shops and Sinb hadn't visited Yerin since then. Eunha didn't say anything about Yerin or her girl hunting. Oppositely she was quiet more than usual. 

 

"Unnie, have you visited Yerin recently?” Sinb asked. 


Eunha lifted her head and met Sinb's eyes, she nodded. 


“How is she?” 


"She's doing good” Eunha replied. 


“How about you?"


"Me?” 


"Your coffee things, have you overcome it?" Eunha glanced at her phone as she spoke. 


“Not really, I don't think I'll drink coffee again” Sinb shrugged. 


"At least, you should pay Yerin a visit. I think she missed you” 


Sinb held her breath as she heard Eunha's last sentence. She didn't feel like starting a special bond with anyone especially with Yerin because she thought that this feeling was nothing more than sympathy. She couldn't fall for Yerin, even though that girl's innocent smile had created a prickle in her stomach. 

 

She had finally come to the coffee shop. 

 


Yerin had changed her apron color. She wore a bright red apron this time. Her smile grew wider as she saw Sinb entered the shop. She was still serving a customer when Sinb arrived. Sinb took a seat and waited for Yerin.

 

She slid out her iPad, in case she needed it to communicate with her. 


"i thought that you hated coffee” 

 

A familiar voice was heard. Sinb craned her neck to the owner of that voice. Eunseo was sitting two chairs away from her and she was drinking half of her coffee. 

 

"Eunseo, since when did you come back to this town?” 


"i'm not coming back, I'm Just visiting someone” Eunseo answered. She had gdined some weight compared to the last time Sinb saw her and she had changed her hairstyle. 
She looked somewhat refreshed. Sinb was about to ask something else when Yerin touched her elbow, the kid smiled happily as she handed her a cup of coffee with rabbit shaped cream. 

 

Sinb locked down at the cup and moved her gaze to Eunseo who saluted her ironically. She took the cup holder and brought it closer to her lips, Sinb closed her eyes to welcome the drink she hated the most, but it didn't reach her tongue as Yerin held her hand and shook her head.

Yerin carried the cup away from her and gave her another cup with another shape this time with a little star pattern. 


Sinb finally understood what Yerin's intention was, she just wanted to entertain Sinb with her coffee cups. Maybe this cute barista had been thinking about it for these past three weeks. 

 

 

Yerin kept on doing that, until all of the customers including Eunseo left the coffee shop. Both of them locked at their surroundings.

 

Yerin covered as she realized that it was already past closing time. Sinb released a soft chuckle and Yerin glanced at Sinb. Latter replied with a weak grin. 


Sinb helped Yerin stuff her equipment away and close the shop afterwards. 

 


They walked side by side. It wds close to 10 PM. Sinb had offered to take Yerin home, but she declined. She wrote on Sinb's iPad, explaining that she had already gotten used to going home at this hour. 


However, when they separated around ten meters. Sinb chased the latter.


Yerin had been so kind to entertain her with those funny shapes on the coffeecups, even though she had dlready known that Sinb didn't drink it and it would be so rude if Sinb didn't show her gratitude. 

 

"I'll walk you home” She said. 


Yerin's face turned brighter as she gripped Sinb's  elbow, guiding her steps towards the station. The train was almost empty of people. It didn't need a long time for Yerin to fall asleep on Sinb's shoulder.


Heer bangs tickled her neck. Sinb smiled to herself as she Yerin's head and kept her steady on her shoulder. Luckily, she still remembered where Yerin's dormitory was.


She carried the girl on her back as the elder didn't show any sign of waking up. 


Yerin was surprisingly lighter than what she thought. She carried the sleeping barista to the dormitory. Searching for her key and trying hard not to wake her up. 


Sinb laid her down on her bed and covered her with the blanket. It was almost midnight. The last train had departed at 11 so she had no choice other than taking a cab. 


"Good night, Yerin” Sinb fixed the blanket and tiptoed towards the door. She closed it as carefully as she could and left the dormitory.

 


Somehow, she felt lighter as if Yerin had withdrawn something that embedded into her head. 

 

 


"Sinb-ya” Eunha approached her desk and grinned.


"Do you have a  minute?” 


“Yeah, what is it now?” 

 

"I want to purchase a bracelet online, but I'm hopeless in choosing, I need your help" Eunha said as she handed her Phone with so many accessories pictures. 

 

"Do you want to go to Yerin's coffee shop tonight?” 

 

"I guess so,” Sinb answered without any concentrations as she pdid attention on the pictures.

 

"Can I say that your coffee drama has ended?” 
Eunha pulled a chair and sat down beside her. 

 

“Not yet" Sinb replied firmly. 

 


It had been three months and nothing had changed, except that she and Yerin grew closer since that night. The night when Sinb walked her home or carried her home would be a better phrase. 


She went to Yerin's coffee shop twice in a week and to her dormitory every Sunday morning, just to accompany her choosing coffee powder. 

 

Sinb couldn't name what kind of relationship they had, all she knew was she liked seeing Yerin's sincere smile every time. The girt asked her to smell the coffee. Maybe it was time to end her trauma. There was no reason to stay away from it. 

 


"i think this one" Sinb pointed at the silver bracelet with stylish pattern and handed it back to the girl's hand. 


She glanced at her watch and rose off of her seat, she mumbled to Eunha that she needed to go home earlier. 

 

 


She walked quickly to the coffee shop. It was nearly 6 PM. She hoped that there would be fewer people at the shop. 


Yerin was busily serving her customer when she got there, but she caught Sinb's figure quickly and waved at her.


Sinb felt the butterflies in her stomach had flown everywhere. It had been so long since she experienced this sensation. She stayed at the cafe like what she had always done, waiting for Yerin to finish her work. 


She slid out his iPad and wrote something with trembling hands. She planned to show it to Yerin right when the Kid finished. 


When the clock’s hand pointed to ten Yerin approached her. She looked particularly tired tonight, but her smile didn't change a bit. 

 


"Can I order a cup of coffee?"

 

Sinb handed the iPad to Yerin whose eyes grew wider as she read the sentence. She gave Sinb a wide smile with confirming nod. The latter gave her a little smile.


Yerin was more than happy as she walked to the machine and created a cup of coffee for Sinb. She came back five minutes later with a big cup. 

 

 

"Welcome back, Eunbi-yah" was written there. 

 

 

 

 

Sinb look at the barista and at the cup. She took it and smelled it. The memories of her broken heart with Eunseo and Ryujin had disappeared.

 

It was replaced by Yerin's smile and it overwhelmed her. She took Yerin's hand and placed it on the other side of the cup. 

 

 

“You drink first" Sinb said. 

 

 

Yerin gave her a questioning gaze, but she brought the cup closer to her lips. She sipped the coffee slowly. Sinb watched her and when Yerin finished, she leaned closer and kissed the barista’s lips.


It tasted like coffee, and it blew happiness to Sinb's heart. She felt warm and content as her lips touched Yerin's. The girl was taken aback, but she didn't pull away, letting Sinb kiss her. 


Sinb pulled further and smiled at Yerin whose face had turned red. 

 


"Would you like to make me a cup of coffee every day, from now on?” Sinb asked. 

 

Yerin read her lips and she nodded excitingly, letting Sinb pull her into a hug. 

 

Coffee had given her bad memories and trauma, but it led her to someone special as well. She had found the answer of her hesitation that what she felt for Yerin wasn't sympathy, but it was more than that. Sinb tightened her embrace, feeling warmth rushed into her. 

 


“Thank you, Yerin” she whispered. She didn't care about the fact that Yerin couldn't hear her.

 

 


This one is really my favourite! Hope you also like this.