Remind of You

OffSet

It was at dinner that Luhan got the fateful news.

“We have finally decided on a match for you,” Yifan was the one who spoke first, and both of his sons looked at him, not knowing who he was addressing.
“Luhan, you will be meeting him in a few days. He is a well-known scholar, maybe even the best we have seen in years. A Zhang Yixing,” Of course the sons had heard of him. He was the only child in a long, long, 𝑙𝑜𝑛𝑔 generational line of scholars, so he was known even before he could read. There were a lot of expectations placed on him, but he didn't let anyone down - he could play the zither and erhu, a little bit of the flute, and he was a good person to go to in case someone needed a poetry lesson. He could write, read, decipher and even recite poems if needed, and he studied for years to write the imperial exams. Now, though, it didn't seem that he would need to do so.
“We are meant to get married? Him and I?” Luhan had to confirm as he pointed his spoon at himself with furrowed brows.
“Yes,” Yifan said dismissively as he continued eating, and Luhan felt worry settle in his stomach. He knew he was silly for thinking he would never have an arranged marriage; maybe it was because he wasn't the crown prince. He was the second son, not the one that would become emperor one day, but it was still foolish to think his parents wouldn't organize his future.
“And Tao?” Luhan knew he shouldn't have been asking so many questions (one of the simple rules were to not question the emperor or empress or parents in general) but it was the empress who answered this time.
“We are in discussion with a royal family to the north. They have a single daughter, and Tao has to bear sons to continue on the family name as well as provide an emperor, so he will be taking a wife,” She explained, but Luhan knew all of that already. It was just unnecessary information by now. All he really cared about was if his older brother was thought of as well, but hearing he was arranged to marry someone already, Luhan couldn't try twisting their parents' arm for Tao to marry Yixing instead.
“The north?” Tao asked now.
“Yes. The Mongolians. It is not the best option, and I did not think it was a good idea considering the current tension we have with them, but your father has said his advisors consider it a favorable decision. It will cement ties with the Mongolians - however weak they may be - and prevent them from causing trouble. It can be seen as a...political marriage, I suppose,” Their mother said, and Luhan stared at his food glumly. So his was...what? A marriage for reputation? Probably. But it was expected. Such things always were.

When Luhan returned to his bedroom, he had completely forgotten he was waiting for Sehun's arrival. His thoughts were consumed by the beast of the arranged marriage he had been told about tonight, and so he idly flipped through a few pages of the plays he had learnt to love over the years. Sometimes, Yifan would have a play organized for his sons and wife, knowing they enjoyed it; he was strict, but he was still a loving family man.
Sehun - being the physically strong man he was - found a way to scale the wall up to Luhan's balcony, climbing over the banister quietly. From where he stood, he could see only the emperor's son was in the bedroom, but he wasn't sure if the servants were stationed outside of his room as they were supposed to be.
Luhan noticed a movement on his balcony, and he glanced up to see Sehun - instead of butterflies, he felt worms of guilt in his stomach. He didn't know how or when to tell the general of the marriage; he didn't want to do it at all, really. He just wanted to sink into his bed and never come out...unless it was for Sehun. Then he'd consider it.

He called out to the servants for them to leave their stations in front of his room, then Sehun came in.
“I had never thought you were one for plays,” He said as he sat down in front of the tea table, noticing the books scattered around on the floor. Luhan shut the one he was reading, and poured some tea for them.
“It is a delicacy I like to enjoy now and then,” He murmured as he kept his eyes down on the teacups, but Sehun could see something was wrong. He wasn't just perceptive about it, but the shorter man made it quite obvious he was upset. He didn't mean to, he just wasn't used to hiding his emotions. How could he be when there hadn't been any reason for him to he unhappy?
“A delicacy...to bring a smile to your face that should be there all the time?” Sehun brought his cup up to his lips as he studied Luhan who continued staring down at his own tea for some time.
“You have a way with words. Why is it that you decided to go into the military? With your phrases, you could have become a poet,” He said to change the subject.
𝑀𝑎𝑦𝑏𝑒 𝑖𝑡 𝑤𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 ℎ𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑏𝑒𝑒𝑛 𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑖𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑤𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑎 𝑝𝑜𝑒𝑡, He thought to himself.
“I suppose so. But back when I moved here, the military was considered more prosperous than poetry. I did not know Mandarin, so...” The general didn't have to explain further for Luhan to understand. What was a poet that couldn't phrase things? No poet at all.
“You are not happy. I will not pry, but if you have anything you are willing to talk about, then I am here to listen,” The general said after a little bit, but Luhan didn't budge. He had just gotten what he wanted - Sehun - and he didn't know how the younger one would react to his marriage news. So he didn't say anything about it until Yixing arrived a week later.

As per custom, Yixing arrived with many gifts. These were gifts for the emperor's family, as well as gifts in preparation for the wedding. These were things like silk, gold, tea, cakes in the shape of dragons and tigers, poultry and sweet meats. It was a lot, and Yixing's family made sure to provide an abundance of each to show their delight that their son would be marrying an emperor's son.
A feast was to be held to welcome Yixing, and everyone near the palace watched as the carriage was followed by trusted servants with the many gifts. It was like one big parade, many people walking in neat rows behind the carriage towards the large palace.

Sehun was at the gate to greet the carriage and to ensure no trouble came along with it (peasants trying to sneak into the palace, servants trying to run off with food, etc) but he didn't know this marriage was for Luhan. He thought it was for 𝑇𝑎𝑜. It didn't really make much sense to him since Tao was supposed to be having heirs, and how would he do that without a woman? But Luhan had never mentioned the arranged marriage, so Sehun didn't think it could be for him.

Zhang Yixing stepped from the carriage, and all soldiers silently marveled at him. It was 𝑡ℎ𝑒 scholar, the one coming from the greatest lineage of knowledgeable men in China at the time. It truly was an honor to be in the presence of someone this great. Even Sehun was struck by awe; while he was probably the greatest general of that time, Yixing was on the opposite path filled with books and calligraphy whereas the younger one was on the path of spears and arrows. Two men at the top of their respective fields; two men coming for the same hand in marriage. Except, neither of them knew it.

Luhan stared at himself in the mirror with hard eyes; it didn't matter whether he liked Yixing or not, they would ultimately be married in the end. Even though his heart already belonged to Sehun, it wasn't a concern. It never would be. Reputation was held much higher than simple love, and to refuse a marriage set by one's parents was enough grounds to be thrown out of the house. Luhan shuddered internally thinking of how angry his own parents would be, what with the noble heritage and all.

The maidens brought their combs through Luhan's smooth hair to detangle any knots in their way, then tied his hair up neatly so he would be appropriately prepared for the banquet. It wasn't something for Yixing and him to get to know each other, more like a celebration of engagement.
With a few minutes to spare, the servants left Luhan's bedroom, and he stood from in front of the mirror to gather some fresh air on the balcony. Except, who was waiting for him down below, wasn't someone he expected to see.

Sehun had heard the whispers of his fellow soldiers about the scholar. He wasn't here to marry Tao, but to marry the second son - Luhan - instead. Of course, it was a shock, but then the general realized it was obvious from the start. Tao was probably set to marry a woman to continue on the family line since he was going to be emperor eventually.
But while that hurt, it hurt more that Luhan hadn't mentioned any of it to Sehun. He was confused, frustrated, and rather angry about it.

“What are you doing here?” Luhan asked as he looked down at the general, and Sehun's eyebrows turned down.
“Why didn't you tell me?” It was all he could ask. Everyone else was busy finishing up the banquet and all the decorations, so the soldiers had some time until they had to be back in their positions. Of course, there were two guards always stationed at the front gate, but now that the gate was closed and Yixing was safely inside with no unwanted visitors, everyone could breathe a little easier.
“Tell you what?” Luhan grimaced. He could play dumb all he wanted, but they both knew what Sehun was talking about.
“About Yixing. You said you were not set to have an arranged marriage yet. How long have you known?” The general asked, and as much as he tried to mask it, his sadness peered through his voice like a slit in a curtain.
“A while,” The older one eventually answered, and they were silent once again. Sehun didn't know what to say. He didn't want to say anything at all, really. He felt used, in a way, even though they hadn't done much except meet for tea. Still, those were a lot of rules broken already.
“Why did you never tell me?” Sehun questioned now, and Luhan breathed out a light, airy sigh.
“I did not have the heart to do so. I do not want to get married like...this. You have had some time to learn more about me, you know this is not something I have wanted for my life,” Luhan clutched at the banister, as if he could make Sehun appear right beside him. But it was too risky to do something like that.
“It does not change the fact that you kept this a secret from me!” Sehun almost exclaimed now, and Luhan looked down at the wood beneath his small hands instead.
“When you marry him, you will not stay in the palace. He has approached you to marry, not the other way around. Therefore, you will leave to stay with him and his family instead. Do you understand what that means?” The general asked.
“Of course I know! You ask me this as if I have not been raised for this one moment!” It was Luhan's turn to fight to keep his voice low, and he huffed out another sigh, “I apologize for not telling you, but I did not want to see you hurt,”
“Did you think I would not be hurt when the banquet came? Did you think it would be easier for me to accept we will never be together if I only realized it at the last minute?” The younger man asked, and the emperor's son drew small dragons with his finger on the smooth banister, trying anything and everything to avoid Sehun's eyes.
“I do not know what you want me to tell you. You know this is something that cannot be changed. Even if I had told you earlier, there was nothing that would force a different outcome,” He eventually mused, and the general looked up at him again.
“I would have gotten you out of here,” He answered. Luhan glanced up with a bewildered expression, his hands suddenly beginning to feel tingly at the sound of Sehun's plan.
“W-what?” He sputtered, “no, it would be impossible,”
“I am the general. You are the emperor's son. You would have ways to get out of the palace, and I would be your . No one would think twice,” Sehun explained it in such a way that made it sound simple and easily done - it could be done, but that didn't mean Luhan didn't feel odd about it.
“You say it as if it is still possible,”
“It is until you leave for good,” Sehun his lips now.
Luhan sighed once more.
“Where would we go?”
“Korea. I still have a home there, I am sure. Or I will find a way to get one for us,”
“We cannot just run off! If they catch you, the-”
“Why would they think I would be responsible? Yes, I am the general. And a good one at that, I am told. But who am I against ten or fifteen bandits?”
“What are you trying to say...? That they will think we have been captured by bandits and killed?”
“Yes. Or, we could make it seem that way. Just until we leave China,”
“What if they come looking for us in Korea?”
“Then they will not find us. I will make sure of it,”
Luhan lowered his eyes once more as he thought about it. To leave everything he's learned and grew up with for love? It was an idea that seemed like more than just crazy.
“This is something that takes great thought,” He wondered how long the general had been considering such things, “but it cannot be done overnight. And certainly not tonight,”
“Then so be it. But do not come down to drills and expect me to welcome you with open arms,” Sehun's warm voice that could melt honey suddenly turned cold, and he then walked off without another word.

Luhan felt a flurry of emotions; sadness about this all and hurting Sehun, angry that he couldn't find the courage to change it, and excitement about the thought of really running away. But the general was angry now, and Luhan knew to try speaking to him again would be a waste. So he left for the banquet.

In the great hall, a long table was filled with all sorts of foods and treats. Shaoxing rice wine was placed at even intervals in between large plates of rice, noodles, meat, and other things that made Luhan realize just how grand this marriage was meant to be.
Everything on the table was arranged in such a way that there was something of each taste - sweet, sour, bitter, savory - within everyone's reach of who would be sitting at the table. It was the emperor's family, the advisors, and Yixing and his family.

Luhan took his seat, and everything seemed to take off from there. There was loud chattering in the hall as everyone spoke to one another, eating pork with sweet plum sauce, endless grains of rice, braised chicken in a sweet and sour sauce, and drinking the Shaoxing wine until Luhan wondered if people would be staggering out of here instead of walking.
He ate as much as he could, but not nearly as much as everyone else. He observed Yixing for the most part; he was handsome, that was for sure. And he seemed to be very charismatic too, considering all he did was sit in a library all day. He met Luhan's glance now and then, and he never hesitated to smile, even when his cheeks were a reddish color from the wine. He reminded Luhan of Sehun since they were both passionate about what they did...and the emperor's son felt sad thinking about the general.
But the emperor's son wasn't concerned with the man in front of him, and luckily, no one else seemed to be too focused on Luhan's behavior. It was a refreshing change. Maybe that was because the families were friends instead of strangers, so this banquet was somewhat like old friends catching up instead of a simple engagement one.
But Luhan wasn't the only quiet, surly one in the room; his mother was too. Except, for an entirely different reason.

By the end of the banquet, Luhan had decided Yixing wasn't all that bad...but he came nowhere near to taking up a large space in the older one's heart like Sehun did. In the future? Probably not then either. He just wasn't the man Luhan had fallen in love with.
That night when he returned to his bedroom, he expected to find Sehun by his balcony again, trying to twist his arm to run away, but there was no one there. Luhan supposed he was still mad, then. And so, he went to bed unhappy, which wasn't so rare these days.

As Yifan laid asleep, his wife placed down her calligraphy pen after finishing her letter.
She stood from the table, her cat-like eyes sending a glare his way before she stepped up to the window to roll up the letter and place it carefully on the awaiting pigeon's ankle.
This letter would be the ruin of the emperor's family as they knew it, but she didn't care. She had to do something about the situation at hand - she couldn't sit idly by and watch while her husband messed around with the family doctor. Oh yes, she knew. She suspected it for a long time. It was just the other day that she found them drinking tea together that she realized their relationship was more serious than she had originally thought. But Yifan nor Junmyeon had noticed her, luckily, and now she would be getting her revenge.

The empress sent the pigeon out of the window with the letter, then felt a type of fiendish delight spreading through her veins at the thought of what would be happening in the next few days. This would teach Yifan that she wasn't a woman that appreciated being used, even if it meant taking herself down in the process.