OffSet

OffSet

“Bring the general in. I would like to have tea with him,” Luhan ordered, but his servants didn't immediately leave, so he raised his head, “please. We have things to discuss,”
He wasn't supposed to ask them so nicely. They were supposed to do as they were told as quickly as possible, just as they did when it came to his father, Yifan. He was the emperor, but a kind and generous one...when the mood struck him. He was serious most of the time, definitely impatient, and had no time for his sons' laziness. He had only two - Tao and Luhan, but he was happy with them nonetheless. After all, two sons were better than two daughters in that day and age.

Luhan waited patiently, fiddling with the silk of his robe, rubbing his thumb over the dragon stitched on it. His mother did it herself to guard him from evil spirits; all his clothes either had dragons or tigers on them since they were seen as guardian animals.
The general came, looking as serious as always, and sat in front of the small tea table where the older man sat once Luhan had nodded.
The servants poured their tea, and with a flick of the emperor's son's wrist, they were gone again.

“You wanted to see me, your highness?” Sehun started when Luhan was quietly sipping his tea; he was extremely thrilled to finally have the general of their army alone with him. No servants, no maidens, no father or mother. Just them alone.

“Don't look so worried. Nothing is wrong,” He smiled softly, and Sehun relaxed just a little at the sight. Luhan was very small, very petite, maybe even pretty to an extent. He certainly looked more feminine than the rest of his family, fitting in more with his mother's side.
“Are they treating you well?” He said afterwards, and Sehun stiffened once again. He was the only Korean in the army of 100 000 Chinese men, and he wasn't just a simple private, he was the highest rank there could be. There was racism from every corner of the house he stayed in with his section of men, and that had steeled his emotions. He had learnt to stop listening to them, to lock his heart up to avoid the hail of arrows of insecurity he felt because he knew he deserved the position he was in right now. He worked hard to get where he was - he had experience in archery, swordfighting, wielding a pike and spear, and even archery and swordfighting on a horse. No one else had so many distinctions to their name, and he was sure that was why they were so sour about his high status.

“Yes,” He replied simply, his thumb sliding over the dark blue curls and crescents on the white teacup in his hand. It was ceramic, definitely expensive, and it felt weird to have something so delicate in his hand. He idly wondered if Luhan felt as fragile as the cup.
“Are you sure?” The older man pressed, and the general looked at him before sipping the warm tea. It was chrysanthemum; they only had simple green tea back at the military house.
“Why does it matter? Forgive me for saying so, but I do not understand why you care about the life of the general...your highness,” He said, and the golden metal etched with the curls of a dragon's body in it clinked against the armor on his thigh as he set his cup down once again. He wasn't used to speaking to someone about his feelings - no man was. It was frowned upon, especially if said man was in the military.
“Is it a crime to care?” Luhan commented, and since Sehun didn't have a reply to this, he sipped his tea once more.
“You have many men to lead. Is it so hard to imagine that I want to hear about your feelings about said men? Knowing your background, I can imagine it is not easy being around them all without someone you can find solace in,” At least he could mask his interest in Sehun by using the excuse of thinking of his wellbeing due to him being the head of the military.
He was quiet again as he stared down at the half empty cup, then glanced up at Luhan who peered at him curiously. The older one had long hair that cascaded down his spine, a careful bun on his head and a few strands of black hair that tickled his forehead now and then. Not much like Sehun. As an act of rebellion to everyone around him, he cut his hair just a few months prior. But that had gotten him whipped a few times - it didn't leave scars thankfully, but it definitely taught him that such things were bad. Of course, he'd do it again if he really wanted to, because what were a few whippings if he wanted to be rebellious against the system?

“If you have something specific you want to say, then go ahead. There is no need to hesitate with me,” Sehun knew he wasn't supposed to talk so informally with someone of the noble family, but he also knew Luhan wouldn't do anything about it. Everyone knew he was the softie of the family, and the general knew he liked Sehun more than the rest. Maybe too much.

“What do you mean?” Luhan asked with burning cheeks; he looked a lot like a child at that moment. He fiddled with his robe that hugged his small frame, then took a flustered sip of his tea that had since cooled.

All the windows - curled bronze that were bent into several squares intertwining with one another - let in a cool breeze, and since they couldn't be closed, the winter air also came in when that season was around. But Luhan never got cold since he had many quilts and blankets covering him every night.
“You speak to me as if you only care about me as a general when I know it is more than that,” Sehun said, “I can see it in your eyes,”
He had an uncanny ability to see the emotions hidden behind the curtains in people's eyes, and Luhan was easy to read. A perfect pair.
The shorter man looked away again, feeling very exposed.

“So what if I care about you more than I should?” He said after a little while, and this time, his voice was hushed. The walls here always had ears, and he never knew when a pesky, tattletale of a servant was trying to listen in. He didn't need them running off to his father saying his son had fallen in love with a Korean general.
“Do not try justifying it as something simple. This is not a game. This is not just a boy liking another boy - we are not villagers who will not be looked down upon. We both are of high social status, you know just as well as I do it will be our social death to try something odd together,” Despite popular belief, homouality wasn't that strange in ancient times. In fact, it was as normal as heterouality. Maybe even expected. But while that was okay, a nobleman marrying someone who wasn't a scholar wasn't something that was a common occurence, and Luhan knew his father would never agree to such a romance. If anything, it would turn out to be something terrible - Sehun would be blamed for it all, even if it was Luhan's idea. He'd maybe even be banished, if that's what Yifan would want. And if they kept their romance a secret, they would probably never get married. There was just no happy ending.

“Why do you label it as something odd? Is it that difficult to imagine something between you and me?” Luhan grimaced, and Sehun lowered his eyes. The older man seemed hellbent on getting what he wanted, but there were just so many rules against such things.
“Yes. Not because I do not want it, or because I think it is wrong...just because of how many things barricade us from doing such things. I am not of royal blood, nor am I a scholar. Yes, a general is a good man, but nothing near what the noble family expects in a husband. Of course, we cannot forget that I am not Chinese...and you probably have an arranged marriage awaiting you as we speak,” Sehun said, but as he spoke, he couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to fall in love with Luhan. He liked him, sure, but he didn't let it go too far since he never thought they'd even be in the same room together on personal terms like this.
“I do not have an arranged marriage! No one has said anything about one!” Luhan exclaimed, then calmed himself with a gulp of tea. He wasn't sure if anyone had heard his little outburst, but he hoped not. He didn't want an arranged marriage; ending up with someone he didn't like was a real possibility, and a very negative one at that. He'd have to spend the rest of his life with someone he didn't know or love. It didn't sound very appealing to him, even when he was a young boy being educated about these things. Maybe it was due to the fact that his mother and father didn't seem too happy together, and they had had an arranged marriage. All Luhan's mother did was embroidery, drink tea, and provide sons. Or try to, at least. It didn't seem like a lot of fun to her son.

“Why do you think of the negative things only? I know you are not always like this,” He continued anyway, but Sehun was quick to answer.
“Do not act like you know me when you do not even know the reasons for what I do!” He snapped, then sighed. He didn't mean to sound so harsh, but he knew the reality, and it was that he would be punished for everything if it went awry. Luhan would get off with a slap on the wrist, and whether he knew that or not, Sehun wasn't sure.
“I must go, your highness. Forgive me for speaking out of turn as I have,” He stood then to bow before he turned for the door, and Luhan stood as well with a streak of panic in his bones. He wasn't worried that the general would say anything about this, he was just scared of letting such an opportunity go. This wasn't a simple crush - he had been admiring the younger man for some time now, always watching him during the military training. He never hesitated when it came to shooting arrows or slashing his sword, and that decisiveness and deadliness was something that made Luhan's heart race each time he saw it.

“Wait!” He exclaimed to the golden back of armor that faced him, and the general pressed his lips together as he stopped. He was, after all, still someone that had to listen to the emperor's son.
“I just...” Luhan didn't know what to see when Sehun turned to him again, “don't go, Sehun,”
“I must. I am sure the servants are wondering where I am. They will call your father soon if I do not lea-”
But Luhan couldn't take it anymore (the uneasiness, the anxiety, the ray of delight slipping away so quickly like sand through his fingers), and he took a few steps to the tall general to press their lips together in a chaste but desperate kiss.

Sehun stayed still, not daring to move a single muscle, until Luhan pulled away.
The general's brows then dipped at the insides as the outer edges raised in a unique frown while he stared at Luhan; he couldn't think what to say, mainly because he was feeling mixed up inside. He wanted this, even if they had to hide it, but he didn't want the trouble that would come with it.
And, being the socially awkward man he was, simply walked out of Luhan's bedroom.

That night, the older man took a walk around the inner compound, watching the koi fish wade around in the dark waters only lit up by the full moon. The plum tree's leaves rustled with the gentle breeze that tickled the strands of Luhan's dark hair and caressed his cheeks as he walked upon the cobblestone. He was about to turn back and go back to his bedroom when he saw a familiar shadow looming over him from the stairway, and it was none other than Sehun.
“I would like to further our discussions earlier, your highness, if you are willing,” He bowed respectfully, knowing servants were watching, and Luhan tried his best to seem calm as he nodded once to let Sehun know it was okay, and to also let the servants know they were dismissed for the night.

Soon enough, Sehun and Luhan were in his spacious gold and red bedroom again.
The general removed his heavy helmet, and Luhan took in his short hair once more. It was odd seeing it, but unique. He liked it.
“I apologize for leaving so suddenly earlier. I hope you did not take offence to it, your highness,” Sehun said, and Luhan held his one hand reassuringly, “you don't have to call me that. Just call me Luhan,”
This was something unheard of, but somewhat expected considering what had happened a few hours earlier.
“What are you here for?” He then said as he peered up at Sehun's undefining eyes that was the darkest shade of a midnight blue. They studied Luhan's every movement, like a tiger stalking a deer. Still, he knew the taller man would never hurt him. He had never been afraid of Sehun, and it would never be the case either.

The nighttime wind sent wisps of Luhan's long hair around his arms like fingers trying to grasp his body, and distant sounds of servant maidens cackling amongst themselves for some reason or another rode the wind through the windows as the two men stared at each other. Sehun, the man hardened by war and hatred, and Luhan, the sheltered son of the emperor who had never experienced rejection before, faced one another. There was much Luhan still needed to learn about the world, and Sehun was willing to teach him those things in the most gentlest way possible. If not him, then who? A woman Luhan wouldn't even love one day? It was selfish of Sehun to want him, but the general didn't care.

He placed his helmet down, then brought his rough hands up to touch Luhan's cold but soft cheeks - it felt like porcelain beneath his fingertips whereas Sehun's fingers felt like splintered wood, mainly because Luhan was always used to soft things touching his face - and then leaned in to connect their lips for a second time, this one being softer and more controlled than the last.
No words needed to be said, because it was obvious from Sehun's actions that he wanted exactly what Luhan did, and that was to pursue their romance...however troublesome it may have seemed.