Rollercoaster

OffSet

Luhan stood on his balcony the next morning, watching a few groups of birds float across the sky as the sun's outer edge touched the darkness and turned it into a light pink. It was very early, but how early, Luhan didn't know. Still, military training for the day would begin soon and carry on until just before dinner time where everyone would be dismissed after. They always had to be prepared in case an attack happened; peasants during a rebellion, an attack from the Mongolians...there were many threats the military had to be ready for.

But that wasn't what Luhan was interested in today. Was it ever? That was the real question he should've been asking himself. It didn't help that Sehun was always the one who he could see best since he was guiding everyone through their drills.

And last night. Oh, how lovely it was! Sehun stayed for two cups of tea, and while he was still a little on the stiff side, Luhan could see he was warming up to the idea of them as a couple. His dark eyes lightened only a shade when he left Luhan with another kiss, returning to his quarters for the night. And until dawn, the older man couldn't stop thinking about him.

His soft hands grasped the red wood of his banister as he heard the familiar shouts of Sehun who commanded everyone to stand in their rows and formations so he could check that everyone was here. And if someone was sleeping in, he gave them hell for it. Even though they didn't see him as their leader due to his different birthplace, they still had no choice but to respect him due to his high ranking.
Luhan felt his cheeks turn pink with the cold wind that pinched them, and he breathed in a deep sigh as his eyes twinkled and imaginary birds flapped around his head the more he thought about just how far him and Sehun could make it if they did all of this correctly. They'd always have to look over their shoulders to make sure no servants or maidens were nearby, and they had to ensure Sehun didn't come around too much and make himself seem suspicious. Luhan couldn't go down to the military house - no nobility ever went there - so they could only meet here in Luhan's bedroom, and maybe down in the inner compound...but that was dangerous. Anyone could strut by and listen to their conversation and mask that by using the excuse they were delivering something to someone. Or Luhan and Sehun could be caught doing things they weren't supposed to be doing. There were many risks, but Luhan was ready to take them on; this was the first time he had fallen in love, and he was already twenty five years old.

He turned away from the banister to begin getting ready for the day; in about an hour, when the sun greeted all the flowers and trees entirely, it would be breakfast time. Everyone in the compound ate at the same time (breakfast, lunch, dinner), and if someone missed the opportunity, then they would have to skip that meal and wait for the next one. The rules here were strict, and everyone knew it.
The noble family was in one area - the pretty one with flowers, precious vases, ceramic bowls and cups and servants waiting on their every word - and the rest (militia, maidens, servants) all had their own house in which they ate. This was the more rundown area, and food wasn't distributed evenly as it was supposed to be. Every man for himself in there. If the fish was finished, then no more would be cooked; this was the opposite for the emperor's family. If they required more fish, then more would be cooked and prepared immediately.

Yifan was in a good mood today, but he seemed like his mind was elsewhere.
“You are not hungry, father?” Luhan asked as he watched his father inspect the food rather than eat it. All eyes in the room turned to the emperor.
“Hm? Not in the slightest,” He replied, and his wife placed her tea down. She had sharp features - angular jaw, angular nose, cat eyes - and it was obvious why Yifan chose her for his wife.
“Perhaps we should call in a doctor,” She suggested, but her smile was stiff. Luhan imagined it was because of the heavy headpiece she wore every morning; to be underdressed for the day was something punishable in the royal family. Not a hair could be out of place.
“The family doctor. Yes. At once,” Yifan nodded once, but his wife seemed opposed to this idea. Surprisingly, since everyone knew there was a reason why the family doctor was...well, the family doctor. They were the best someone could find.
“I think we should be finding a new doctor. I do not think the family doctor is doing his job correctly anymore,” She said before she pressed her lips together, and Tao, the oldest son, glanced up from his plate of wokked greens and fish.
“Really? But just yesterday he fixed this cough I had,” He nodded, and all eyes were now trained on the empress. She squirmed uncomfortably in her seat. There was certainly a reason why she didn't want the family doctor around, but no one could begin to think why.
“Stop with your outlandish ideas. There is nothing wrong with the doctor,” Yifan said this to his wife, then turned to the servants, “bring Suho in immediately,”
Luhan was almost jealous at how quickly they scurried around to find the family doctor - why couldn't they just listen to him like that? Why did they only listen to the emperor like that?
“You called, emperor?” Suho questioned after giving a courteous bow, careful not to look into anyone's eyes at the table; it would be disrespectful to do so, and with the empress on his case, he had to tread lightly.
“I have lost my appetite since early this morning. I do not suppose you have some kind of remedy for such a thing? It does not take the greatest scholar to know skipping breakfast is asking for ill health,” Yifan said, and everyone returned to their breakfast as the servants were dismissed to their own house to begin eating. At least a separate portion was saved for them since they couldn't be around to grab some right away.
“Uh...” Suho looked at Yifan unsurely for a split second, then dropped his eyes again when he felt the heated glare steaming off of the empress, “I suppose I could find a tea to help this problem, emperor,”
“At once,” Yifan nodded once, and then stood from the table.
“Well, I will just have your food thrown to the dogs then!” The empress exclaimed angrily - her sons glanced at her curiously as she huffed and puffed to herself, then Luhan and Tao exchanged a glance between one another.
“Then do so. I am sure the cook will have no problem cooking another bowl,” Yifan said, but he was already on his way out with the doctor to the teahouse.
“Do not treat me like a concubine! I have given you two sons and yet you are so dismissive with me? I am not a servant. I am your wife!” The empress suddenly yelled in a screech that hurt everyone's ears. Everyone, except Yifan's. He was used to her emotional outbursts.
“Why do you try to create such a scene? The servants will hear and gossip will spread. Please rethink your behavior before I return,” He only turned around at the end to give her a glance which let her know he was serious about his words. She didn't reply.

Luhan returned to his room after breakfast to dress himself in clothes suitable for out of the palace; he couldn't be wandering around outside near the military with his long robe. That just wouldn't do. But a simpler robe - without so many accessories that added detail to the outfit - would be perfect.
He decided on a plain white one, and he allowed the servants to redo the bun on his head, placing only a small pin in it to keep it in place while the rest of his hair was left in a long straight waterfall down his back. As expected, no one asked about where Luhan was planning on going - the servants weren't allowed to. If they did something so disrespectful, they'd be whipped, or thrown out of the palace if their position was easily replaceable.
He dismissed them afterwards, then smiled to himself as he eyed the tea table in his room; he wasn't supposed to have one (since they had a teahouse), and especially not in his bedroom, but he was the one in his family that was fond of tea more than most, so Yifan arranged to have a simple tea table set up in Luhan's room. Needless to say, his mother wasn't happy about this - “how will it look, having one of our sons constantly cooped up in his room with his own tea?” she would ask. But Yifan shook it off. As long as their youngest son met them every morning for their family meals, be presentable each time it was expected, and not cause the family any embarrassment, then Luhan could have a tiny delicacy like this. It wasn't anything bad, and the family doctor assured the parents it would be healthier for him to drink so much tea in the long run.
Plus, Luhan was a good son. At least until he discovered Sehun.

He watched from the banister again for a few minutes, staring at only one person once more, and then felt butterflies in his stomach at the sight. He hoped Sehun wouldn't mind if he came to watch; he'd be as quiet as a mouse, not saying a word of judgement or encouragement, and just observe the general's magic. Luhan only wanted to spend some time with him, even if it wasn't very special or they couldn't talk much.
He knew the servants wouldn't bother him when he marched out right now, and that made him even more excited to see his favorite general. But there was one thing still in his way - the empress.

“Where are you going?” She stood in front of Luhan's door now, as if she was barricading it with her body.
“Just to observe how the military training is going,” He answered, his excitement dampened into glumness. She wouldn't let him go down so easily; he was a scholar, she said. Not a soldier, she said. He was too small and frail for war, even Yifan said it, and now the empress barely let Luhan out of his room unless it was to eat. He had no business with the outside world - he could read up about everything in journals they had here. That was what she believed...but one couldn't read about love and understand the feeling without experiencing it firsthand.

“Military training? You have no business there. You should be studying,” She said in a sneer; he didn't fault her for feeling angry or annoyed. He knew something was going on with his father, but Luhan was naive, and he didn't think Yifan could ever do wrong. The only thing his son could think of was that the emperor really was ill...when in truth there was absolutely nothing wrong with him.
“Mother, please. I would just like to sit through the drills for one day to experience it up close. Why is that wrong?” He asked with a quiet sigh, allowing himself to be taken away by the shouts of commands outside.
“You know why it is wrong. You are not training to be a soldier, so what is the interest you have with the drills? There is no need for you to be wandering around blades and armor if you will never use them,” She said with a jut of her chin; no matter how jarring her words were or how upset she was, she always looked beautiful. Maybe it was because Luhan had gotten used to her scowls and glares and twisted expressions. Or maybe it was because she had a soft spot for him and had spent more time with him than Yifan had. Tao was meant to be the next emperor, so it wasn't surprising that he was the apple of Yifan's eye.

“Please,” Luhan stepped up to his mother now and took her one soft hand in his own, “it is a simple wish, mother. I will not practice bouting away with swords or archery, I only wish to observe everything,”
She still seemed opposed to the idea, but his doe eyes made her cold demeanor towards the idea melt.
“Fine. But do not stray too close to the drills or soldiers,” She said sternly, and like a kid in a candy store, he darted off with a loud “thank you”.

A warm cup of tea was placed down in front of Yifan as he relaxed in the teahouse. The sun shined through the thin paper walls while he took the small cup in his large hands and watched the doctor sit down in front of him. The trees rustled gently as the wind danced around them, birds chirped now and then, and the scent of jasmine tea perfumed the air around the emperor.
“The empress will get suspicious if this continues, Yifan,” He said as he poured some tea for himself, and the older one waved a dismissive hand.
“She is already suspicious. You have seen how she acted this morning. It is only a matter of time before she finds the evidence she is looking for,” He sipped his warm tea then, and soon smiled as he placed his large hand over Suho's smaller one.
“You need not worry, Junmyeon. If she tries to find ways to get you out of the palace, I will not let her. You are safe here with me,” He smiled.
Suho was the doctor's Chinese name. The only person who called him by his Korean birth name - Junmyeon - was Yifan.

Junmyeon turned his hand over to hold Yifan's as he smiled back softly, his cheeks flushing a light red when he pulled away to bring out breakfast.
“I am sure you have not really lost your appetite, so I have cooked you dumplings,” He offered as he put the bowl on the side of the table, and Yifan fished one out with his chopsticks to press against the doctor's lips almost immediately.
“Yet you have not eaten breakfast. Or at least, not a suitable one. Why do you not let the servants bring a bowl?” He questioned curiously as he watched the younger man eat the dumpling obediently.
“I do not want the empress to find out servants are serving me food. When the time is right - I trust you will make that decision - we will act accordingly,” Just as with Luhan and Sehun, there were the same problems. Nobility and someone of lower class, the different races, and of course the inability to provide sons. But Yifan and Junmyeon's relationship was nothing ual (at least, most of the time it wasn't) and instead, they provided company to one another by drinking tea and reading literature and poetry together. They preferred a mental stimulation with one another instead of a physical one.
“As with everything else, I will consult you first before making such a heavy decision,” Yifan smiled as he gave the doctor's one hand an affectionate squeeze.

This was the one place they were never bothered or eavesdropped on; the teahouse had a lot of privacy, surprisingly, and it would be their secret meeting place for a long time to come. Or until the empress discovered it.

The military drills were only a little ways out of the compound where there was a lot of space to swing spears and swords and pikes around.
Needless to say, Sehun was surprised to see the emperor's son coming to watch. His eyes lit up, and his mouth popped open just enough to show surprise - and happiness - but he regained his composure before anyone else could notice it.

He continued instructing as usual, everyone moving back to the compound to eat lunch, and then carry on their daily practice.
Just before dinner, the soldiers were dismissed, and Luhan waited for them to leave before he stepped off of his horse with Sehun's help.
“I am surprised you came today. From morning until sunset, you have managed to stay,” The general said as he took off his arm guards - all this armor was heavy, but maybe that's why he had so much muscle now.
“I do not think my mother will be happy, but right now, I do not mind that. It has been entertaining seeing why you have the title of general,” Luhan smiled as they walked slowly across the field together; they wouldn't stray too far since they had to be back for dinner soon, but they also didn't want anyone to spy on them. They were always paranoid of such things, but who could blame them? They could never let their guard down, not with how easy it was for them to be exposed.

Sehun smiled at Luhan's comment.
“I am especially impressed by your archery skills,” The shorter one continued, and it was Sehun's turn to speak now.
“Really? Well, we have a few minutes to spare, so why don't I give you some lessons?” He offered, and Luhan had to laugh now.
“I do not have much experience in archery. I will simply be an amusement to you,” He shook his head, and Sehun picked up his bow with a few arrows.
“Do not worry. I was once like you. It just takes some practice, and while I am here, we can do so often...if your mother allows it,” Sehun knew Luhan's mother was strict, but they could work around her if they had to.

They walked to the target which wasn't too far away, and Sehun stood behind Luhan to position his body correctly. The older one felt his body quiver when the strong armor pressed against his back, but he shook it off and raised the bow and arrow.
Sehun corrected his posture, setting his arms correctly, making sure the bow was held the right way, and then gave Luhan a few hints as to what he could do to ensure his arrow hit the target.
“Let us make it into a game. If I hit the target, you come see me tonight,” The shorter man said once he was ready, and he waited for Sehun to speak.
“And if you miss?” The general asked, amused, as he folded his arms. He'd play along.
“Then we would only meet tomorrow again...but would you really let that happen?” Luhan asked with a cheeky smile at the general, and when Sehun simply kept silent with a tiny smile, the older one knew the general wouldn't be able to stay away for long.

Luhan remembered everything Sehun said as he held the bow tighter, then pulled back the arrow to release it, and while it didn't hit the middle, it still hit the target.
“Well, I guess this means I will be seeing you later after dinner,” Luhan said with yet another cheeky grin, then set the bow and arrow in the general's hands before he took off for his horse; he still had to get ready for dinner, and he was left with very little time to do so.
As he watched the horse carry Luhan back to the palace, Sehun couldn't help but smile as he closed his eyes, allowing the citrus perfumed scent from Luhan to consume him for a few minutes until it left with the emperor's son once more like the wind.

 

A/N - for the empress I had Gong Li in mind, just to help make the imagination easier. ifykyk why Gong Li is perfect for it. ;)