Home

Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

T-minus 8 days, Rosie noted in her mind, staring at herself on the mirror of a private restroom at YG. She felt overwhelmed with the incessant ringing of her phone along with the beeping of messages and emails. Gripping her shoulder, she felt the soreness of her left arm and began to rotate it mildly, resenting the way she’s constantly pulled to different directions by the staff, always with a sense of urgency. She is running out of gas, really close to empty level and it’s evident on her irritability the whole day.

She stared at herself and her bleached blonde hair, lamenting at how dry and damaged it had become. If she stayed in Melbourne, the torturous summers there would’ve done damage anyway, she guessed. Rosie shut her eyes as a sudden wave of nausea took over her as soon as an avalanche of notifications arrived again, unconsciously clenching her jaws and hands as a response. “Okay, okay, I got this,” she murmured without making a move to reach for her phone.

“I got this,” she repeated with conviction. Rosie bowed her head and let out a cry caused by fatigue, 5 minutes she told herself; 5 minutes to breakdown and recover. And as a last-ditch effort, she inhaled as deeply as possible and held it for a few seconds then exhaled all the stress out of her body. “Okay, yes. We’re good,” she said as she dried her eyes carefully. The soon to be solo artist eyed her phone in disdain before picking it up and grimacing at the number of notifications. She scrolled through it mindlessly promising herself she will address them in another 5 minutes, wasting no time in calling a number.

Rosie wanted to cry again, this time in relief, upon hearing the soothing voice of Jennie. She steeled herself however because she didn’t want to cause worry, not when she felt she had no valid reason to even complain.

Rosie? Are you there?

“Yes, sorry…I just got distracted.”

Everything okay? Where are you?

“I’m here at YG, just done rehearsing. I have a meeting in a few minutes and I just…I just wanted to hear your voice—if I’m starting to creep you out—”

I’ve been wanting to call you, too. So, let’s just creep each other out. You sure you’re okay?

“I’m…tired.”

There was a pregnant pause on the other end of the line, before Rosie shed a silent tear of relief from the two words uttered by Jennie. I know.

Because Jennie did know. She was there first. Rosie remembered the time when Jennie was hauled into a frenzy of campaigns, show after show, photoshoots, interviews; rehearsal upon rehearsal, meetings after meetings. The memory of Jennie throwing up caused by sheer exhaustion will forever be etched in her mind. “Is it really worth it?” she asked, settling down in Jennie’s bed. “I will always say yes,” Jennie mumbled, in fetal position while squirming her way to Rosie’s hug. “You’ll also understand once it’s your time to go alone. It’s worth it.”

“Thank you,” Rosie sighed, grateful that somebody fully understood without her even explaining. “I…have to go. Uhm…”

Do you wanna come over later? I can make some Kimchi pancakes.

Rosie broke into a genuine smile for the first time that day. “yeah…yeah I would love to.”

Rosie knew how embarrassing it was to be gobbling up all the food laid out in front of her while Jennie’s mother looked on with her cup of tea. She was famished and all sense of dignity left her body as soon as the smell of ramyun hit her nose. The whole kitchen was silent and the only sound you can hear would be her grunts of approval and satisfaction every time she stuffed her face with tteokbokki followed by the pancake Jennie promised to make.

She can see the outline of Jennie’s face, watching her with a mixture of delight and sympathy. “Do you want more pancake?”

“Mhmphuumph”

Jennie stood up and ruffled Rosie’s hair, understanding clearly what the Australian needed, much to her mother’s amusement. Of course, the older of the two Kim women could sense a great shift that happened with these two girls, but it’s not as if this very domestic interaction happened the first time.

The Australian grabbed the glass of water from Jennie’s hand and thumped her chest after glugging it down. “Ahhhh,” she said with eyes closed, “this is amazing, you’re amazing babe, you really are. I’m so lucky. Marry me, just tell me the time and—uhm.”

And it was that moment, Mrs. Kim confirmed her suspicions as Rosie immediately turned beet red, realizing the company present. With her nostrils flaring, the younger of the girls decided it was wiser to stop talking and fill with more food, while her daughter pushed her tongue against her cheek in an effort not to laugh. She caught Jennie glancing at her with a blush strongly growing, silently begging not to torture her and Rosie. It must’ve been obvious, the slightly devious expression on her face, realizing how much has changed in over a week. She suffered through her daughter’s pining, miserable pining, she needed some form of retribution.

“Roseanne.”

“Mom,” Jennie groaned. Mrs. Kim looked at her daughter and smirked.

“Y-yes?” Rosie gulped.

“What exactly is your intention with my only child?”

“Mooom, oh my god, can you—”

“I…I…uhm…in—intentions…I—”

“Rosie, don’t mind her, she’s just joking. Go eat some more,” Jennie said with a certain affection Mrs. Kim has never heard her daughter speak with the others who caught her eye. Her daughter then glared at her. “Mom, you’re scaring her and if she chokes—”

“ I, uhm, I have no bad intentions.”

The two Kims simultaneously looked at Rosie, who in return looked ready to faint.

 “I’ve…cared…I’ve cared about Jennie since…for a very long time. I just...want to always make her happy.”

Mrs. Kim stopped herself from chuckling at her daughter sputtering to say something coherent in response, not expecting Rosie to admit her feelings out loud. She stood up and kissed Jennie’s head before putting her cup near the sink. “Oh, I’ve always known that, Rosie,” Mrs. Kim remarked with a warm smile before placing her hand on Rosie’s shoulder and mock whispered, “but no more sleepovers.”

Rosie’s eyes widened and Jennie protested. “Are you kidding me? We’re adults!”

“Who are under my roof, yes?” Mrs. Kim said smugly as she pointed to the ceiling.

Jennie pouted and grumbled, “I paid a part of it”, earning a hearty laugh from her mother. Patting Rosie’s shoulder, she conceded that it was a joke though that didn’t seem to snap the younger girl from her petrified state. “You broke her. You and your sense of humor broke her,” Jennie whined as her mother walked out of the kitchen, waving them goodnight.

“Your mother thinks we’re…doing stuff.” Rosie finally said in a whisper after a period of silence, while they cleaned up.  “This is super embarrassing.”

Jennie turned to face Rosie with a look of incredulity written all over her as the other girl acted all innocent. Rosie cackled in response, “I’m so wholesome, what’s that look for?”

Jennie points to her ear recalling Rosie’s new found obsession, “this body part begs to differ.”

Rosie scanned the room

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter