one

Best Friend

Seokjin was a senior resident when I first met him- and that was when I first graduated from medical school and was at my first month of work.

There was no doubt that he was superior in more ways than one - he was on his way to becoming a consultant at such a young age, successful, good looking, charming and he knew it.

We were both attached, but there was no doubting the chemistry between us when we first got to know each other. Though we were never rotated on the same team, I was rostered to do a night shift with him and we got to know each other and then started the texts.

Work conversation extended into jokes and memes which he loved to share with me and our friendship steadily blossomed. We would find each other during work to play table tennis and air hockey at the staff lounge (where he thrashed me so badly, and he would laugh at my flailing self) and talk about inane things together. He had this special trait of always knowing how to make me laugh and although he teased me endlessly, I could never get angry at him.

I eventually rotated out of the posting and transferred to another hospital, but we continued to text each other everyday. He would wish me a good morning and on some days he would call me randomly on the way to work or back home from work to just chitchat about random things or his day and over time, I found myself looking forward to these calls.

I had a boyfriend, and he had a girlfriend so I told myself that he was just a friend- a best friend- and nothing more, and nothing should or would happen. After all, there was nothing romantic about us, except the occasional flirty banter.

However, things were soon to change.