two

Best Friend

"They say whoever you think of first in the morning, and the last at night before you sleep is someone you love," Seulgi, one of my colleagues chirped as she gazed lovingly at her phone. "Yeri, I think I'm in love!"

It took me a while to register her words, before I scoffed, "No, it's just whose text you happen to see first. What if I see Medical Director's message to all of us first? Is he my soulmate?"

Seulgi rolled her eyes. "Get real, I mean who you THINK of. I bet you don't think of MD when you wake up in the morning, but your boyfriend."

"Nah, Taehyung wakes up way earlier than me to go to work." I shrugged, and then suddenly our consultant walked into the clinic, dispersing our little morning gathering instantly.

Later in the night, after I got back on my bed, I scrolled through my messages.

Taehyung: Dear I'm still at work, go to sleep first.

I shook my head. My boyfriend was an overworked surgical trainee and due to both enthusiasm and a strong sense of duty, he always stayed back to join in the operating theatres to help out even when he was not scheduled to go for it. I should be supportive of him, but of course, I feel lonely. I've raised it up to him, but he doesn't really have a choice if he wants to be considered for residency.

Me: Okay, goodnight take care and go home soon.

I'm already past the point of hoping that he's going to reply it, so I scroll through my other messages and find myself smiling when I open my chat with Seokjin.