Chapter 1: "for now"

in love with the thought of you | michaeng

Mina is a member of a famous Kpop girl group called 6mix. She is a main vocalist and the "visual" of the group.

Chaeyoung is a trainee under the same company as Mina. She has been training for 3 years now and is the leader of an upcoming girl group that is set to debut in two months. Mina’s group was about to debut when Chaeyoung got signed as a trainee. The latter is a laidback person, yet every time she performs, she gets every person in the room drop their jaws in amazement. Since the beginning, she has been the one getting most of the trainers’ attention because of her great performance skills.

 

***

 

One day, Mina was in a meeting for her upcoming first solo mini album and little did she know that a surprise was waiting for her. The producer of her album enthusiastically told the singer that they have decided with whom she will be doing a duet with for one of her B-side tracks and that they will both be starring in the music video with the concept she suggested. Mina was very excited to hear this.

For the music video, Mina specifically suggested it to be a girl to girl love story line. This concept is uncommon in Korea and she wanted to be one of those artists who break out of the conventions. She feels lucky that the company that she’s in is considerate of their artists’ suggestions. Also, she had promised her fans that she will give them a present and this was that present. Around 60% of her (and 6mix’s) fans are members of the LGBTQ+ community and she wanted to pay them back as much as she can for their unending support. This song is specifically for this group of their fans. But most of all, she wanted it to be a hint of her true identity. She wrote the song figuratively.

The producer asked one of the staff to call the female trainee and tell her to come to the meeting room. After five minutes, someone knocked on the door and opened it. A pretty girl, with a bright smile, peeped through the narrowly opened door before she opened it more widely and entered the room. She greeted everyone “good morning”. Mina and the producer greeted her back.

“Chaeyoung-ssi, this is Mina. Mina, this is Chaeyoung.” Both girls said their hello’s to each other as they shook hands. Then, Chaeyoung said “OMG, it’s so nice to meet you. I’m a huge 6mix fan!" Chaeyoung said nervously.

“Aww! Thank you so much,” Mina replied. “I’ve heard so much about you from the trainers. It’s a pleasure to be able to work with you" the singer said as she glanced at the trainee.

“Omo. Thank you so much, it’s a pleasure to work with you, too”, Chaeyoung said and flashed a huge smile with a blush forming in her cheeks. She was flattered by what Mina just said.

After that brief introduction, the producer kindly gestured Chaeyoung to the chair across the singer sunbae.

“Mina, you will be collaborating with our trainee, Chaeyoung. Aside from singing together, you will also be in the music video.” The producer went on and looked at Chaeyoung before he continued, “It’s a strategy we make to help our upcoming artists be showcased and introduced to the public with the help of a senior group or singer. Your group will be debuting soon and your members are set to star in your other seniors’ music videos.”

The meeting went on for about 30 minutes.

“The recording will start in 2 days. Let’s work hard by then” the producer said. He turned to Mina and continued, “You’ve already learned the song, so I want you to teach her the song right after this meeting.”

“Yes, sir,” Mina said with a nod and a closed-lip smile.

“That ends our meeting. I’ll go ahead of you girls. See you in the studio on Monday,” the producer said and left the meeting room.

The two girls went to a studio to rehearse the song.

"Here. I’ll sing it for you first.” Mina handed Chaeyoung the lyrics sheet of the song.

“Okay, sunbae-nim,” the latter replied.

“You can call me unnie,” Mina said with a smile.

“Oh, okay, unnie”, the younger girl replied awkwardly.

The singer sat in front of the piano and began playing it as she sings the song. Chaeyoung felt butterflies in her stomach because she felt like the singer was literally saying the words to her as she kept making eye contact with the trainee. The latter would shyly smile and look down at times when their eyes meet.

The song is a contemporary R&B with lyrics that talk about two people being in a forbidden love but had to break up because the odds are too strong to beat. It starts with the first verse that has heart-fluttering lyrics and then it goes downhill from the pre-chorus.

“Wah~" Chaeyoung clapped. "Did you write it, unnie?”

“Yeah,” Mina said with a slight nod and a smile.

“It’s so sad, but it’s so good!” Chaeyoung said with admiration visible in her eyes.

“Thanks,” Mina chuckled.

Chaeyoung learned the song quickly. After rehearsing the song, she went back to practice with her group members and the sunbae singer went to another meeting for a reality show project.

 

***

 

The D-Day for the recording session finally came. The two singers were both very excited especially Chaeyoung because it will be the first song that she will be co-recording that will be released to the public. They started recording at 10 o’clock in the morning, took a 1-hour break from 12 noon and then resumed with no delays.

At lunch break, Mina and Chaeyoung ate together at the company’s cafeteria. The former would discreetly examine Chaeyoung’s face. She just noticed then that the latter has very beautiful eyes. “They’re like a cat’s eyes,” she thought to herself.

They resumed the recording. As they sang together, their chemistry became more visible and their stares at each other became more comfortable and frequent.

"That's a wrap! Thank you guys, you've worked hard!" The producer happily announced. It’s now 3 o’clock in the afternoon. Within those hours or work, the two singers became very comfortable with each other. They consider each other as friends now.

“Thank you so much!” The two singers thanked the people who worked hard with them. Everyone left the studio and went home. Some went to other schedules they had for that day. Meanwhile, Mina, with no further schedules for the day, was feeling like the day wouldn't be complete without a celebration. Everyone had left so she only has her duet partner to ask to go out and celebrate with her.

"Chaeyoung-yah, you're not doing anything tonight, right? Let's go have dinner together to celebrate our hard work. My treat! I'll buy soju, too!" she said as if she was already sure that the younger girl would say yes.

"Yes, I’m free tonight! But, you sure you wanna pay for everything? I'm a big eater, unnie," she said, raising an eyebrow. She is a big eater but she also works out a lot so she doesn't gain much weight, only her cheeks get a tiny bit chubbier.

"That's not a problem," the older girl said. She put her arm around the younger girl's shoulder, "Order whatever you want and how much you want," she said as she winked.

"I’ve seen that wink before!” Chaeyoung laughed. “You do that when you’re being cheesy with your members!" She found it a bit cringey, yet she was flattered.

“OMG, are you blushing?!" The older girl teased.

Chaeyoung touched her warm cheeks. “I’m not! It’s just-“. She paused and glared at Mina who is laughing hard. “You’re not even drunk yet and you’re acting like you already are!”

“I’m just kidding,” the older girl chuckled. “Come on, let’s go get changed and look for a place to eat.”

They went to an exclusive restaurant with private dining rooms.

 

***

 

At the restaurant…

Mina and Chaeyoung sat in front of each other in Indian sit style. They are separated by a small, short-legged table. Mina let Chaeyoung choose the foods for both of them. She wanted to eat Chaeyoung’s preferred foods. It took Chaeyoung 30 minutes to choose which ones to order. Mina didn’t mind it at all. It was still too early for dinner anyway. Finally, the orders had been decided and they added a bottle of soju.

“In our age, it’s not really a celebration unless there’s alcohol”, Mina said to which Chaeyoung agreed.

"Do you drink? Mina shook her head as she mentally erased her question. “I mean, are you allowed to drink?" Mina asked.

"Occasionally, yes. The company allows us to drink but only moderately. I don’t really like the taste of alcohol but I do drink" Chaeyoung chuckled.

 

They chatted away as they waited for their food.

After another 30 minutes or so, their orders were served and they started eating. They talked about anything to get to know each other more.

Mina poured soju in her shot glass and on Chaeyoung’s. "For your first song ever to be released!" She said as she held her glass in front of the latter.

Chaeyoung raised her glass. “And for your first solo album!” She said looking at Mina. Mina’s heart fluttered at the sight of the cute girl in front of her cheering for her first album.

They clunk their glasses as they said “cheers!” Then, they took the shot at the same time.

As they were eating, Mina noticed that Chaeyoung’s face got reddish and she looked sleepy. Both of them only had a shot of soju.

"Are you drunk already?" The older girl chuckled.

"I don’t know, unnie. I’ve never been drunk. Am I?" Chaeyoung chuckled. She felt her eyes have gotten heavy.

"Oh my gosh! You look so cute right now! Your cheeks got puffier!" The older girl said as she pinched Chaeyoung’s cheeks.

"Ah! Please don’t do that to my cheeks!” Chaeyoung exclaimed. She softly her cheeks up- and downwards with her fingers as she said, “My precious cheeks”. Her eyes narrowed angrily.

“Oh, sorry. They’re so soft.” Mina chuckled. “I’m gonna take a picture.” She took her phone out and snapped a picture of Chaeyoung who is still touching her own cheeks. Mina found it cute and funny. She stood up and sat beside Chaeyoung to take a picture of them together. Mina laughed and pointed at Chaeyoung before she tapped the shutter button on her phone.

Mina stayed in that seat. She pinched Chaeyoung’s cheek one more time, but this time, it was unintentionally stronger than before.

“Ouch! That hurt, unnie!" Chaeyoung bellowed in pain and pushed Mina’s shoulder.

Mina stopped pinching her and switched to serious mode instantly when she heard the younger girl say "it hurts" because, that day, she hurt too. For no apparent reason, Mina had been engulfed by the feeling of sadness and longing. It started when she was at the studio earlier, looking down from the window. It’s a sadness that she can’t describe and strangely, she feels extremely happy at the same time which made her chest hurt.

Something in her spoke, telling her that she likes the girl beside her. “But it’s too early to say that,” she thought to herself. They have only known each other for a few days. She’s scared of this feeling but she likes it. It’s been more than two years since her last heartbreak experience, and it wasn’t even with someone she was in a romantic relationship with. It was just a person she liked—the first girl she liked—but never pursued her because she was scared. After that experience, she told herself that she will not hold herself back if ever she falls for someone again. She plans to go for it this time. But, with Chaeyoung, she’s still scared. Perhaps she needs more time and to get to know her more.

For the past few days after their first meeting, Mina has been thinking about the younger girl. She had seen the trainee a few times before in the company, but was never attracted to her like that. Questions such as “What if she doesn’t like girls?” and “What if I get rejected?” have been lingering on her mind. She was always the one getting asked out and giving the rejections. She had never been on the receiving end, but now, the tables have turned, a switch has been made.

Chaeyoung didn’t notice the sudden mood switch in the other girl. After getting angry at the latter for pinching her, she just proceeded talking about her dog and how she misses him. Mina could not process what the other girl was saying.

Chaeyoung was facing her. Mina could feel the air coming out from the younger girl’s mouth. She, then, found herself slowly leaning in. She slightly parted her lips. She was mentally asking herself if it was the right time, but she didn’t care. She just continued leaning in.

Chaeyoung didn't move. She couldn’t. Her heart pounded so strong that she could hear it. "Unnie, what are you doing?" she whispered. She knew it was useless to ask and that she will not get a reply. She knew Mina was going to kiss her but she was dumbfounded. And she wanted to kiss her, too. She slowly closed her eyes as the older girl’s face got closer and closer to hers until their lips touched.

Mina kissed her but Chaeyoung didn’t return it. They stayed like that for 3 seconds until the older girl pulled back from the kiss. The two girls looked each other in the eyes. Mina quickly broke the stare and sat back to her original chair that is across Chaeyoung. The latter, taken aback and didn't know what to do or how to react, quickly grabbed the bottle of soju in front of her and chugged on it as the former watched her in shock.

Chaeyoung couldn't believe what just happened. She always imagined that her first kiss would be with her first boyfriend in a very romantic setting but it happened in a completely different way and it’s with a girl! But she didn't mind it. She has had confusing feelings with girls before and Mina’s kiss just confirmed that she does like girls. Although it wasn't in the "perfect" place as she wanted and imagined it to be, but it was with the perfect person. Mina felt the same way—that she gave her first kiss to the perfect person and in an unexpected way. She didn’t expect herself to be that bold.

After drinking the remaining half of the soju, Chaeyoung’s passed out. Fortunately, Mina’s reflex was fast enough to catch her face with her hands before it slams on the table. She watched Chaeyoung sleep. She imagines their kiss. She was hurt that Chaeyoung didn’t kiss her back but she was glad that the younger girl allowed her to.

Chaeyoung suddenly woke up that Mina wasn’t sure anymore whether Chaeyoung really passed out. Mina snickered. “She has such a low tolerance” she thought. The younger girl looked around, seemingly confused why she’s in that place but she didn’t say anything. Mina leaned in a bit closer to tap the drunk girl in the shoulder. “Hey, Chaeyoung-yah. I’ll get you home. Tell me where your address is.”

“I live at the JYPE dorms, unnie”, Chaeyoung replied then she chuckled and looked at Mina. “You kissed me, pabo-yah”, she said with a soft voice. Her eyes are half open.

Mina blushed. She felt embarrassed but she loved how Chaeyoung called her “pabo-yah”. She thought it was cute.

The older girl carried Chaeyoung on her back and to her surprise, the latter is lighter than she thought. She brought her to her dorm which is only a walking distance away. She took her time. She didn’t want to rush. Chaeyoung needed to be sober before she goes back to the dorm.

They reached the JYPE dormitory building. Mina asked Chaeyoung if she can manage herself from there. Chaeyoung shook her head and with a cute pout, she said “I don’t wanna go home yet.”  She pointed at a 7-Eleven nearby. “I wanna eat ice cream.”

Mina chuckled. “Okay, okay. I’ll get you some ice cream. Let’s go.”

They sat across each other at one of the tables outside the convenience store. Chaeyoung looked like a little girl, eating her ice cream with delight as if nothing happened earlier. Mina did the same. For a solid 5 minutes, they didn’t speak a word. They just focused on eating their ice cream.

Chaeyoung, then, broke the silence with a deep inhale before she said “Are we not going to talk about what happened earlier?”

Mina thought for a few seconds on how to respond to the question. “Hmm.” She her ice cream. “I’m in like with you”, she said casually as if it wasn’t a big deal but in reality, she was really nervous and that's the only thing she can think of. It's the only explanation the girl in front of her has to hear anyway.

Chaeyoung nodded as her brows furrowed. She took two bites of her ice cream cone before she opened to respond. “How could you, unnie?!” She snapped looking at Mina. She couldn’t help it. She’s pissed at the older girl for just casually saying such words that meant so much to her. Again, another item from her romantic fantasies was ruined. “How could you say you like me just like that?!”

Mina was taken aback. “I’m sorry, okay!? She replied, her voice softening. "It's the only way I know how to say it without feeling too embarrassed” 

Chaeyoung was too soft for Mina right now so she couldn’t be mad at her any longer. “I like you, too”, she answered back casually in revenge, noteven looking at her. She just focused his eyes on her ice cream.

Mina felt a sharp, painful kind of happiness in her chest. “You- oh-… you like me too?” She stuttered. She couldn’t help but smile like a fool.

But that smile was immediately replaced with a confused and disappointed frown because of Chaeyoung's reply.

“But unnie, we can’t. I’m about to debut and you’re about to release your first album”, Chaeyoung said with apologetic eyes. She held Mina’s hands as she continued. “As much as I want to be with you, I don’t wanna risk my future career for this, and yours. And it’s part of the contract. I'm not allowed to date for 2 years after debut.”

Mina nodded. “I understand.” She forced a smile and looked Chaeyoung in the eyes. “I’m sorry.”

“At least we can still be friends," Chaeyoung said who also a forced smile.

 “Of course!” Mina pulled her hands from Chaeyoung’s grip. “And when the time is right and we still like each other, then we can…maybe...”

“Yeah. When the time is right, ”Chaeyoung responded with a soft voice as she flashed a comforting smile to the older girl.

They agreed to just be friends for now and to act like how they normally do around each other.

 

As much as the two girls didn’t want it to, the night wasn’t getting young. They needed to go home and rest. They each have early schedules in the morning. They walked back toward Chaeyoung’s dorm.

"Goodbye, Chaeyoung," Mina said with a soft voice and a slight smile.

"Bye," Chaeyoung smiled back. "Thank you for tonight", she said softly, trying her best not show the sadness lingering in her.

"No problem. Thanks to you, too. Tonight was awesome.” Mina smiled and opened her arms as a signal for Chaeyoung to hug her which the younger girl complied to. They hugged each other tightly as if it was their last one. Well, it was their last “I like you” hug… for now... maybe.

Someone had to initiate to end the hug or else they might stay like that for an hour or so.

Mina finally pulled away.

They smiled at each other softly.

“Good night, Chaeyoung.”

“Good night, Mina.”

They both chuckled at Chaeyoung's sudden informality.

“I’ll call you Mina just for tonight. I promise, starting tomorrow, I’ll start calling you ‘unnie’ again”. They both chuckled.

“Alright. Go inside now Chaeyoung. It’s already late. I’ll go home now, too.”

They waved at each other goodbye. Mina started walking away. Chaeyoung opened the door to the building but immediately closed it again.  “Mina!” she called out. The older girl turned around to see the younger girl running towards her. She pulled Mina beside a tree where she knows the CCTVs won’t see them.

There are no people around.

Chaeyoung panted and with a yearning look on her face, she called the other girl’s name again, "Mina…” She intertwined her fingers with the puzzled girl's and she kissed her, deeply and passionately. She pulled back and said, “Sorry for not kissing you back earlier. I was so surprised that I didn’t-“ Mina’s lips against hers interrupted her speech. As their kiss deepened, Chaeyoung untwined her fingers from Mina’s and moved them up and wrapped her arms around the older girl’s neck while the latter transferred her hands to the younger girl’s waist, pulling her closer. They pulled back from the kiss and said their final good nights and goodbyes for the night.

"I'll see you tomorrow at the company, Chaeyoung-ah" Mina said, biting her lower lip and smiling brightly.

"Yeah. Get home safely, Mina" The younger girl smiled back.

Chaeyoung walked back to the dorm and Mina proceeded to walk away. Both biting their lower lips due to the elation they felt after the kiss.

 

end of chapter 1


 

Hi, thank you for reading! Did you like the story? I'd like to know your thoughts about this so feedbacks would be reeeally appreciated :)
This was a revision of my Yongsun x Chaneyeol one-shot. I added a lot of stuff and will add more.

if you want, you can hmu on twt: @namyoim
Have a nice day/night everyone!