The Dark Path

In My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Moon Chaewon watched in mild exasperation as Lee Joongi waved at the cleaning lady that they met at the canteen entrance. Their two minute walk from the studio to the canteen at Namoo had turned into a fifteen minute meet and greet session instead.

"Ahjumma," Joongi greeted kindly, "how have you been doing?" 

Chaewon bowed politely at the woman, resisting the urge to roll her eyes when Joongi proceeded to introduce Chaewon as his wife. The lady merely laughed at his silliness and promised the handsome actor that she will definitely support their drama when it airs. 

Chaewon knew it would be like this, that their short walk to the canteen would be so prolonged because Joongi had the habit of stopping to speak to staff or celebrities whom he knew along the way. He did that on the set of Criminal Minds, and during the filming of Flower of Evil too, cheerfully asking after their staff members, and could even remember the names of their pets or children. 

Chaewon quietly marvelled at the man's social aptitude and energy as she followed him and his broad shoulders around this afternoon, despite the loud protests of her stomach. He was lucky that she was never the hangry type. Instead, Chaewon actually enjoyed feeding off his bright energy.

She knew herself well - she was quiet where he was chatty, and oftentimes, she just did not feel like socialising. Still, Joongi had this amazing ability to draw her out of her shell. Anyone out of their shells. 

Finally, they reached the counter where they could order their food. It was past 2pm and the lunch crowd had already come and gone, leaving behind a quiet canteen with scattered customers. Before Chaewon could even tell him that she would like to go dutch, Joongi had gone ahead to order for them both. 

"Jinwoo-ah, one Kimchi stew, extra kimchi and no green onions for the pretty lady. And one jjampong for me. Thank you!"

Chaewon's eyes widened. "Omo Oppa, are you a psychic? Or a worm in my stomach?"

She knew that she should not be surprised about this by now. This was the extent of Lee Joongi's attention to others' needs.

"Hmm," Joongi considered jokingly, tapping his finger against his sharp chin. "If I could, Chaewon-ah, I would like to be a worm in your stomach. Then I could be with you allllll day long."

Their orders were ready very quickly, and Joongi scooped up their tray. 

Chaewon followed him as he got the side dishes from the Banchan counter, making sure to get extra tofu and yellow pickle, before leading them to a corner booth by the window.

"This is excellent service, Oppa." Chaewon teased as he placed the bowls and plates neatly on the table, arranging the side dishes so that the one closest to her was the tofu. "You remember what I like, and even made sure to get more of my favourite tofu. You're spoiling me." 

"I don't do this for just anyone, Chaewon-ah." Joongi responded with a wink. "You should feel really special, understand?" He placed the metal spoon in her hand. "Eat up" 

Chaewon shook her head as she dipped her spoon into the bubbling little stone bowl. "Yeah right. That's a lie and you know it. Everyone knows that Lee Joongi pay attention to everyone's likes and dislikes."

She blew lightly on her filled spoon, already salivating in anticipation. She took a sip gingerly, careful not to burn her lips on the piping hot soup. The savoury hot broth tasted like heaven on her tongue, the sour and spicy taste of kimchi exploding in .

Chaewon let out a satisfied sigh.

"Mmm, this really hits the spot, Oppa." 

She looked up when he remained unmoving, and was startled to see him just sitting there watching her with a gentle smile, an unreadable expression in his eyes.

Her heart started to flutter as she quickly redirected her gaze back to her food. 

Recently, Chaewon noticed that Joongi had been looking at her, like so. His usual powerful gaze would turn into a tender smoulder, as he spent more time with her during the filming set. She wasn't sure what to make of it.

"Eat, Oppa." She said softly. "Quit staring at me."

She could hear the amusement in his voice when he responded, "You know I can't, Chaewon-ah. I've tried but I can't." 

Chaewon tried not to overthink it. It was probably Do Hyunsoo's residual feelings for Cha Jiwon.

"Eat," she said firmly. "Otherwise your noodles will get all soggy."

Joongi chuckled as he picked up his metal chopsticks, letting out a little sigh that sent a pang to Chaewon's heart.

"Yes, mam. But you do know I have no issue with that, right?" He said as he scooped up a large mouthful of noodles. "You're the one who's so particular about the texture of the noodles. I am happy to eat soggy noodles if that means I could watch you more, Chaewon-ah." 

Chaewon darted her eyes around them, relieved to discover that the canteen was empty now and they were the only customers left. 

"Stop with all your honeyed words, Oppa. They don't work on me. And soggy noodles taste horrible and you know it!"

"I'm sure they would work if you just allow me to keep trying, Chaewon-ah. How about a date with Oppa?" He waggled his eyebrows comically, "Clubbing tonight? Oppa will show you a good time."

He gave her his best sleazy-ahjussi smile.

Chaewon only chuckled and rolled her eyes. "Clubbing, again eh?"

Joongi had been trying to get her to go clubbing with him for the longest time, since their work together at Criminal Minds. Chaewon had always turned him down, knowing that he would most probably be dancing through the night. It had turned into a little running gag between them.

"Oppa, when will you stop trying?" 

"With you, Chaewon-ie? Never!" Joongi exclaimed vehemently, thumping his fist on his solid-sounding chest as he shook his head.

"Well, too bad for you," Chaewon shrugged. "I legit have something on. I'm meeting up with the cast of Nice Guy tonight."

"Oh." Joongi looked genuinely startled. "I didn't realise that you guys were still close." 

"We were... "

Chaewon was unsure if Joongi knew anything about her history with Song Joongki. It was a long time ago, and even then, they were very careful and only a trusted few knew about them.

"But then we slowly drifted, and you know, Life happens." She explained nonchalantly. "But I'm still in regular contact with Lee Kwangsoo Oppa though." 

"Ah," Joongi nodded lightly. "I do hope that we will continue to be a part of each others' lives, Chaewon-ah." He placed a piece of tofu in spoon and added in a gentle voice. "Oppa would be very sad if we drifted apart."

Chaewon looked up, expecting to see mirth in his eyes, only to find them earnest and sincere.

Was Joongi being his usual teasing self or was he actually flirting with her? Was he still stuck in Do Hyunsoo mode?

Her heart started to hammer in her chest and a strange tightness clutched the pit of her belly.

Chaewon really could not tell. 

"Aish Oppa, quit teasing me."

"I'm being serious here." He actually sounded a little hurt. 

Chaewon didn't know how to respond, her tongue seemed heavy as she tried to change the topic.

"Are you seriously going clubbing tonight? We have to come back here for the interview and games tomorrow."

Joongi merely shrugged, "You, Moon Chaewon, you don't stay out too late. We all know what a little grouch you become when you don't get enough sleep." 

"Speak for yourself Oppa." She scoffed. "You better make sure you get enough sleep too - otherwise you'll turn into the Energizer bunny and jump off the walls when we're playing games tomorrow." 

"Okay, okay." Joongi soothed. "I know I shouldn't worry about our ever responsible Chaewon-ie."

She found it strange that he didn't continue teasing her, like he would before. 

"Now eat up before your stew turns cold

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter