An Interruption

In My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The orange cove lighting cast a warm glow in the living room. It made the area look inviting and cosy, perfect for winding down on the plush leather couch after a long day at work.

But the stilted atmostphere in the air now was anything but relaxing to Moon Chaewon.

Song Joongki had showed up at her doorstep, with a bottle of wine in hand.

He claimed that he was in the neighbourhood, and remembered that she lived here. He had asked if he could come in to have a chat. The actress was so caught by surprise, and did not know how else to respond to his abrupt request other than acquiescing. 

"Do you want me to leave?"

Lee Joongi had asked quietly after she had pressed the buzzer to allow the younger actor up to her apartment. Chaewon had looked up to find Joongi frowning, but his eyes were sincere. She knew he would leave if she asked for privacy.

She knew he would respect anything she asked for. 

It was strange, Chaewon had noticed that a part of her was strongly insisting that she made sure that the man did not misunderstand the situation. 

That he did not think that there was anything going on between her and one Song Joongki. 

Chaewon could not bring herself to explain herself, or the situation, to him. There was nothing, really, to explain. 

"Please stay, Oppa," was all she could muster, avoiding his searching eyes as she fled back to the safety of her kitchen.

Chaewon had to double check that the dishwasher was on the correct setting, yes. And triple check it, just to be sure.

Her limited imagination gave her zero clue on why her ex, ex-colleague, was calling on her at this late hour. 

Joongki must have remembered what a private person Chaewon was, and how she was never one to invite work colleagues over to her place. She could hear the shock in his voice when Joongi opened the door for him. 

"Oh! Lee Joongi Sunbae-nim. I didn't expect... I- I thought... I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

"No, of course not. Good to see you, Joongki." Joongi had responded, his tone light and friendly. "I've always wanted to meet you in person. Come on in." 

She knew it was her cue to greet Joongki and welcome him in. Adrenaline was rushing through Chaewon's veins as her heart thumped loudly in her ears, leaving her with shaky fingers and fluttering butterflies in her belly. It was a long time since he last came over. Her uncooperative brain was flashing her images of their time together at her place, both happy and painful memories. Chaewon tried to brush them away. 

She instinctively sought shelter behind Joongi, who had his charms and ushered her old friend in as if he was an occupant instead of a fellow guest. 

"Welcome, Oppa." 

She waved uselessly from behind the tall, muscular man.

"Go have a seat with Joongi Oppa. Let me go grab some glasses and I'll join you guys." Her voice had come out in a squeak and she winced internally.

She ducked back into the kitchen to buy herself some time. 

The two men were now seated at either end of the grey leather couch, making inaudible small talk. Chaewon momentarily forgot where she kept her wine bottle opener, and searched high and low for it. From the corner of her eye, she kept tabs on them. 

Chaewon had never once imagined that she would find two of the hottest actors in South Korea waiting for her in her living room. It was a surreal moment. Their faces, distinctly attractive in their own ways, were similarly schooled into a mild expression, with their long legs both crossed and angled courteously towards each other.

She in what she hoped was a calming breath and tried to collect herself. 

Until she caught sight of Joongi's bare calf.

Her too-tight pink lounge pants had ridden almost halfway up his long legs, revealing a smattering of dark curly hair against his fair skin. He looked ridiculous. It made him look way more uncool when seated next to Joongki in his branded tracksuit, but to Chaewon, endearing. 

A chuckle escaped her lips, and instantly loosened the tightly coiled tension in her body. 

"What are you doing, Chaewon-ah? Come, join us if you're ready." Joongi called out. 

Chaewon finally found her owl-shaped bottle opener in its usual drawer. Tucking it under her arm, she picked up three crystal wine glasses between the fingers of her uninjured hand. She shuffled away from the safety of her kitchen, unsure of what else to expect from this eventful day. 

Joongi's smile when she set the glasses on her coffee table was wide and infectious, and her lips were tugging up in response when he reached over to take the wine opener from her. 

"Here, I'll do it."

He tore the wrapper of the bottle of Merlot that Joongki had brought over, and started uncorking it.

"What happened to your wrist?" Joongki's voice was sharp and concerned. He waved her over to his side of the couch, and patted the plush ottoman stool next to him. When Chaewon shuffled obediently closer to him, she could smell the alcohol in his breath. 

"Did someone hurt you?" He asked as he reached for her bandaged wrist, bringing her arm to his lap in order to examine it. Chaewon drew away, startled by the sudden physical contact. 

In her peripheral vision, Joongi stilled his actions.

"I- I fell dow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter