Chapter Six

y, Free and Single

While heading back to his dorm Junmyeon pondered the odd day he’d been having and planned on searching the pet adoption site before Sehun came home when his phone chimed. It was just a message from Baekhyun asking him to pick up some milk and drop it off at the dorm but he also had several new notifications from the dating app. One was to notify him that Galaxy_fanman was now listed as ‘Unavailable’, several were Heechul’s attempts to be flirty and the last was a message from Kai_88, he was interested and would like to get together. In Kai_88’s profile he had silver hair which looked cool against his golden skin, pouty lips and enough eye makeup that it looked like Baekhyun may have had something to do with it while wearing a simple white shirt. The photo that he sent with the message showed he’d changed his hair to a brunette color and he was smiling shyly at the camera. A polar opposite to the previous brain melting pose he'd posted earlier. The new picture somehow reminded Junmyeon of 'sleepy library boy’ but that would be expecting too much especially after the whole Eunkwang experience.

Junmyeon typed out what he'd hoped was a subtly flirty text and hit the send button before he'd reread what he'd sent. 

Within a few minutes he received a response back.

“Maybe it would be better if we didn't meet up. I'm not really into that type of thing.” The message read.

Junmyeon knew he was a little out of practice with flirting but what did he say that was so bad? He checked his previous text only to see that the autocorrect had changed his innocently worded message into an obscene proposition. 

“I am so, so, sooooooo sorry!!!!! That's not what I was trying to say! I didn't check the message before I sent it. I was trying to play on the fact that you like dogs and I love cats. I wasn't suggesting anything weird, I swear!” Junmyeon hastily texted back, carefully checking for any mistakes before hitting the send button.

“It's okay but don't be surprised if I try to convince you to join the dog side.” Kai_88 texted back.

After reading and rereading the text several times Junmyeon still couldn't decide if it was a typo or a play on words so he chose to ignore that part and go with his second chance. 

“Guess we’ll have to wait and see, won’t we? ;-)” Junmyeon texted carefully. Deleting and retyping the message several times before hitting the send button.

Kai_88 suggested they meet up at the fundraising fair the school put on every year. He’d be performing a dance routine for the show but suggested dinner afterwards would be nice or they could just stroll around and check out what the fair had to offer. It turns out Kai_88 or who’s real name was Jongin, volunteers at the community center as a part-time dance instructor.

Seeing that Junmyeon was glad he hadn’t let Baekhyun talk him into signing up for a turn in the kissing booth. Yixing had signed up for it but Baekhyun didn’t think having Sehun scowl at everyone who might dare to approach would help raise any money.

“Could we do both?” Junmyeon texted, being very careful to check his message before hitting the send button.

“Sure. But just so we're clear, I don't intend to compromise your virtue. At least not yet. ;-)” Jongin replied, causing even more confusion for Junmyeon.

In his effort to compose a proper reply Junmyeon wasn't watching where he was walking and tripped over the sidewalk curb. He would have crashed gracelessly to the ground except for a pair of arms catching him. There was a strange sense of Deja Vu about this whole situation which only was reinforced when Junmyeon heard the voice of his rescuer. 

“Didn't anyone ever tell you not to text while walking?” That y voice that had been haunting Junmyeon’s thoughts more than they should have, purred in his ear. 

“I…” Junmyeon started to defend himself but promptly forgot what he'd been about to say as he turned his head and met the warmest pair of brown eyes he'd ever seen. There was a distinctive twinkle of mischief in those eyes as well as something else but Junmyeon didn't have time to decipher what it was before the moment was interrupted.

“Junmyeon hyung! Do you have the milk Baekhyun asked you to pick up?” Chanyeol’s booming voice made the pair jump apart guiltily.

“No Yeol. I…. I was….” Junmyeon shot a quick glance at ‘cute mall guy’ before looking at his phone and finally meeting his friend’s expectant look. “No, I've been ... busy. Why can't you just get the milk?” He tried to keep the whine out of his voice but was pretty sure he wasn't successful.  

Chanyeol didn't get a chance to answer before a smallish body launched itself onto his back.

“Hey guys! What's up?” Baekhyun chirped as he dangled off his boyfriend’s back. “Where's the milk, bro? Dinner is going to be ruined!” Baekhyun rambled in between nuzzling his lover's neck. 

“You two are both out and about, why didn't you just buy your own groceries?” Junmyeon said, inwardly cringing at the pronounced whine in his tone.

“Chennie, please explain things to Mr Clueless.” Baekhyun pleaded as he paused in his assault on his boyfriend's tender skin.

“Hey. Don't get me in the middle of this.” Cute mall guy, now known as Chennie, replied holding his hands up in surrender. 

“Are you guys together?” Chanyeol asked out of the blue after observing his two friends shoot side eyed glances at each other when they thought no one was looking. 

“Pssst…. What???.... Pssst….. No…..” Junmyeon scoffed awkwardly, refusing to meet anyone's gaze. What he'd missed seeing was Jongdae brilliant smile dimmed to a slightly forced shadow of its former self. Baekhyun slid to the ground and he and Chanyeol exchanged a knowing look as they took in Junmyeon and Jongdae’s reactions. 

“Just take Chen with you to get the milk so my baby doesn’t end up starving to death because you get sidetracked again.” Baekhyun offered. “You don’t want my poor angel to suffer needlessly do you?” He asked as he Chanyeol’s cheek, the taller boy gave Junmyeon his saddest puppy eye expression.

“Alright. I’ll go but this is the last time.” Junmyeon conceded. 

“Oh and while you're there get some ice cream, too. The good stuff, not the healthy kind you like. Channie and I are going to be burning off some calories later.” Baekhyun called over his shoulder as he linked arms and made flirty eyes with his boyfriend. 

Even though he tried to hide it Junmyeon was pretty sure the beautiful man standing next to him heard him mutter “Gross.” under his breath. 

“I can get their groceries if you have somewhere to be.” Jongdae offered with his best attempt at a normal smile in place. Even though he knew Jongin had shown interest in Junmyeon he couldn’t help his fluttering heart at being in the other’s presents. 

“Really? That would be great.” Junmyeon smiled momentarily, frying Jongdae’s brain cells. “I was kind of in the middle of something and you may have noticed I’m not good at texting and walking.” Junmyeon finished with a sheepish smile and a heightened color in his cheeks. 

Oh my God he’s beautiful! Jongdae thought to himself, lost in the world of sparkling rainbows where only he and Junmyeon existed. 

“Are you okay?” Junmyeon asked, leaning a little more into Jongdae’s personal space.

Not really knowing what he was agreeing to Jongdae nodded his head, only to receive another brilliant smile from Junmyeon in response.  

“Alright. Baekhyun wanted me to buy them some milk and now he added ice cream so if you hurry the list won’t get any longer.” Junmyeon said as he handed several bills to cover the cost of the food. “I really appreciate this. Jongin is going to think I changed my mind about our date with how long it’s taking for me to reply back to him.” He said with a soft giggle.

The words “date” and “Jongin” were all Jongdae needed to come back to earth with a thud. That’s right, this vision of loveliness wasn’t his to worship, Jongin had made a move and it was apparently well received.

“Right. I’ll be seeing you around then sometime maybe. Have fun.” But not too much. Jongdae couldn’t help but wish that he was the one to make Junmyeon blush and smile. Life seemed too unfair sometimes.

As Junmyeon wandered off he gave Chen a cheerful wave. He glanced back over his shoulder to see the other boy still frozen in the spot he’d been in as they talked, but now a sad expression had taken over the boy’s face and it felt like Junmyeon had made a huge mistake. For some reason he had to fight the urge to turn around and hug Chen until the cute dimples reappeared. Before Junmyeon gave in to his need to fix whatever he’d done wrong, Chen turned and started walking in the opposite direction. Junmyeon sighed and tried to focus on what he should say in response to Jongin’s text.