Chapter One

y, Free and Single

The thought of spending another Valentine's Day alone makes Junmyeon reconsider the idea of adopting a pet. Even if they technically weren't allowed to have pets in their dorms the notion of a nice cat to keep him company sounded good. At least when someone would ask why he wasn't going to this party or that event he could claim that he needed to be with his new feline friend. He'd just gotten to the local shelter’s web page and was scrolling through the available cats when his bedroom door flew open, banging against the wall with unnecessary force.

“Junmyeon are you free tomorrow night? We're going to a party Yixing’s friend Kris is throwing. Wear something nice.” Sehun said all in one breath. “Are you watching ?” He questioned as Junmyeon tried to quickly hide what he was viewing on his laptop.

“NO!” Junmyeon shrieked in an almost manly manner, continuing to try to shield the screen while wrestling to close the uncooperative computer. His tall friend ambled over to Junmyeon’s desk, easily peeking over at the screen of the still open laptop. Sehun wrinkled his nose at what he saw.

“You’re not getting a cat.” He stated flatly. It wasn’t the first time they’d had this discussion but this time Junmyeon was determined to sway the other boy’s view.

“But how can you say you don’t want to cuddle with this guy? Look he’s got little deer antlers on and look at that angelic face! Or what about this one? He’s dressed up like a unicorn!” Junmyeon could sense Sehun’s heart softening at the sight of the adorable cats, especially when Junmyeon clicked on the video of them playing together, minus their Halloween costumes. He was positive that he’d won the war when Sehun pulled up a chair and started laughing and cooing at the video, but Sehun’s expression quickly returned to it’s normal poker face when the clip ended.

“Still ‘No.’” Sehun stated as he rose from his chair.

“But what about this one?” Junmyeon pleaded. “His name is Mr Noodle.” After a few taps on the keyboard a picture of a cat with an almost judging expression on its face popped up. Poor ‘Mr Noodle’ had been painted in the colors of the rainbow for some event or other at the shelter. Sehun stared at the screen for such a long time Junmyeon had his finger hovering over the “adopt now” icon until his friend snapped out of his cuteness daze and turned to walk out of the room.

“Still ‘No.'” Sehun sing songed not bothering to close the bedroom door after he departed.

“But they dressed one up as Yoda, one as a baozi and one as a panda!” Junmyeon shouted after his disappearing friend.

“Still ‘Noooo.” Came back before he heard the door of their dorm room close.

“Who does that kid think he is? I’m older than he is! I can do whatever I want!” Junmyeon grumbled out loud as he went back to typing away at the computer. He knew Sehun was right but that didn’t mean he had to like it. His phone buzzed breaking him out of his pouting and nearly making him fall off his chair with his startled flailing. It was a message from Sehun.

“Still ‘No.’ but go buy yourself a nice new outfit for Kris’ party or else.” Or else what? Junmyeon thought spitefully. Only to have the phone buzz again. “Or else I’ll have Baekhyun take you shopping.”

Junmyeon stared at the evil device in his hand. Maybe he could pretend he’d never received the message…. “If you aren’t at the mall in half an hour I will send Baekhyun to drag you out.” Oh why did he have to be so predictable? He wailed internally.

“Why do I need a new outfit? I can wear that cute kitty sweater vest Chanyeol bought me for Christmas last year and my ‘special occasion’ khakis.” Junmyeon prayed breaking out his party pants would be enough to convince Sehun that he didn't need to take time away from his studies (of cute cats) to spend hours at the mall looking for the perfect outfit.

“Chanyeol’s grandmother made that atrocity for him. Didn't you wonder why it was so large? Anyway you're going to have to go shopping with Baekhyun if you don't leave right now and he will have you spending hours in the cosmetic department looking for just the right shade of eyeliner to best compliment your skin tone. I’d send Yixing with you but you'd probably end up getting arrested.” Sehun scolded.

“That was one time! Can’t you just leave it in the past?” Junmyeon was glad his embarrassed face couldn't be seen through the text message.

“Kris has someone he wants us to meet, so maybe he's found someone to fix you up with.” His friend replied completely ignoring Junmyeon's plea.

Junmyeon cringed at the thought of Kris’ last attempt at matchmaking. It was supposed to be a casual group thing so Junmyeon convinced his good friend Minseok to go with them only to have his ‘date’ fall under the spell of the baozi at first sight. It was an instant and mutual attraction, painfully obvious for everyone to see. The cute Chinese boy tried to pay attention to Junmyeon only to find himself laughing at Minseok’s jokes and stories about being a soccer team’s captain, leaving both Kris and Junmyeon bored and confused. Kris was no help smoothing over the awkwardness either, he was busy trying to hit on Yixing every chance he got. Yixing had to finally tell the slow witted giant he liked Sehun (much to Sehun’s joy). A smirk was seen on the tall blonde’s usually expressionless face and “Yehet” was heard before Yixing pulled his new boyfriend off to discuss ‘couple stuff’. Kris soon found an excuse to leave, stranding Junmyeon as a third wheel on MinHan’s first date.

“FINE! I’ll go but it's not going to be skinny jeans and a graphic tee only a male model would wear. It's going to be something I like!” Junmyeon typed angrily, hitting the send button before he realized what he'd sent. “Noooooo!” Junmyeon shrieked while frantically searching for the nonexistent ‘Undo’ button. Sehun would know Junmyeon’s idea of high fashion would be something with kittens on or as Sehun would say “Grandpa attire”. He was sure to hear Baekhyun knocking or in Baekhyun’s case, the dorm room door crashing open without bothering to knock. When his phone eventually lit up indicating he’d received a new message, he debated if he should read it or not. He knew what it would say. Sehun was not going to take any chances with Junmyeon’s fashion choices. He was sending Baekhyun. As he reached for his phone where he’d flung it onto his bed at receiving the message, Junmyeon heard “Ready to go?” spoken right next to his ear eliciting a very unmanly scream to leave his lips. His startled jump and defensive flailing made him lose his balance and tumble to the floor. The sound of Chanyeol’s laughter joining Baekhyun’s only increased Junmyeon’s embarrassment. For a very brief moment last summer Junmyeon had a teeny, tiny crush on the giant only to have his dreams of happily ever after crushed when he realized Chanyeol had eyes only for Baekhyun and vice versa. It didn’t take very long to get over his heartbreak when he got to witness waaaaayyyy too many public displays of affection from the pair. Junmyeon was more of a private person and would probably die of embarrassment if anyone caught him even kissing anyone else.

“Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you but Sehun said you needed help shopping for something nice for Kris’ party. I'm thinking a cropped jacket with a nice button down and skinny jeans with rips to give glimpses of what you got. Also a quick trip to the salon for a fresh new do.” Chanyeol just nodded along to Baekhyun’s shopping list as Junmyeon stared at his friend in shock. There was NO way Junmyeon was going along with any of Baekhyun's plans but as he opened his mouth to tell him, he heard himself say “Okay.” WHAT?! NO! Danger! Abort, undo, someone call the Dr. because he needs to go back in time!

Once they reached the mall, the pout never left Junmyeon's face as he grudgingly allowed Baekhyun to swamp him with options.

“It will be okay hyung.” Chanyeol tried to console the other man. “Baekhyun picks out all my clothes for me.”

“That's different Yeol! I have you buy what I like so I can ‘borrow’ all your tops. Your pants though would be too long for me so I choose ones that won't have other people looking at what's mine.” Baekhyun chuckled with an eyebrow waggle at the end of the statement that Junmyeon had wished he'd missed seeing.

“Baekhyun these jeans are too tight! I don't think I'll be able to sit down in them.” Junmyeon grumbled as he waddled out of the changing room.

“They're fine! Just don't sit too long or you might pass out. Now spin for me.” Baekhyun said, making a circular motion with his finger. “I need to see if they highlight your assets.”

It was Chanyeol’s turn to pout. “You never check to see if the jeans highlight my assets!”

“It could be because you have no , or it could be because I don't want your assets on display for the rest of the world to ogle.” Baekhyun said offhandedly as he continued to circle Junmyeon. “They’ll do but we should see them in a lighter color to make your short legs appear longer.” He finally declared before abruptly kissing the pout off his boyfriend’s lips.

“Fine, I’ll try more pants on as long as I don’t have to witness anymore of the Baekyeol love fest.” Junmyeon grumbled as he wobbled back to the dressing rooms. His friends paid no attention to him as they continued to dwell in their own world populated by only each other. Junmyeon heard them whispering to each other as they traded pecks and nose nuzzles, so he wasn’t paying too much attention to where he was walking when he crashed into a fellow shopper. The impact sent Junmyeon, with his limited mobility, sprawling onto the floor at the feet of the (handsome) stranger. Could this day get any worse, Junmyeon wonders to himself as he contemplates how to get off the floor without popping a seam in his skin tight pants. He glanced up to offer an apology for his clumsiness to be struck speechless by the vision of beauty leaning down to offer him a hand up. “I….. Errrrrr….. You…..” Junmyeon stammered.

“Chennie, Chen, ChenChen!” Was all the warning they received as a whirlwind blew in and whisked the stranger away.

“What about your friend? Shouldn't we see if he’s okay?” The stranger said as he’s being lead away by Yixing.

“He’s fine and besides Baekhyun will have Chanyeol take care of that mess.” Yixing said as he waved merrily to his friends. Junmyeon was unsure but he thought he saw a conspiratorial wink pass between Yixing and Baekhyun before the latter disappeared with the mystery man. Needless to say it wasn't the best shopping trip ever but on the other hand it wasn't the worst. At least it ended without police involvement.