Strangers

How Rin Met Him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Saerin entered the same hotel lobby she entered when she first came to Japan. It was the hotel that Jae stayed in. Saerin followed Chanyeol and stared at his back. Actually, who is he? She followed him into the elevator and hesitantly opened , "You live here?" 

"I've been living here for over a month." 

Saerin dropped her jaw. She immediately calculated the cost of lodging at the five-star hotel. He must be very rich. She imagined the jobs he did or his parents were so rich that he was confused about how to spend it. 

They reached the 29th floor and there were only two doors on that floor. She looked into the right lane and followed Chanyeol who was walking into the left lane. 

Chanyeol tapped his card and went inside. "Come in." He said briefly. 

The light automatically and Saerin hesitantly went inside and stood at the door. The room was very spacious. There was a TV room, workroom, bar, even a playroom. There's even a Jacuzzi in the room. Saerin couldn't say anything but awestruck. 

"You sleep on the couch. I'm sleeping inside." 

Saerin turned to him and responded slowly. "Y..yes."

Chanyeol went to the fridge and took out two water bottles. "I only have this. If you want to eat you can look at the menu there and call to order." Chanyeol shifted the water bottle on the bar table towards her and pointed to the menu on the TV room table. 

Saerin controlled herself not to overact. She walked over to the bar and grabbed a water bottle. "Thanks."

Chanyeol just peeked at her from behind his bottle drink. Saerin dared to speak more, "I thought your place wouldn't be... this great. The money I have now I will pay as the initial payment and I will pay the rest later."

Chanyeol didn't say anything. "The bathroom is over there. You can clean up first."

Saerin considers that an agreement. She pursed her lips and concluded a small smile. She took some clothes out of her suitcase and went to take a shower. 

Chanyeol watched her leave until she disappeared from behind the door. He smiled a little at the corners of his lips with no reason. He sighed and looked around the room. He went to turn on the TV and sat on the sofa. The sound of the phone vibrating made him turn around looking for the source of the sound. He found Saerin's cell phone in the corner of the sofa and noticed the initial J appeared on the screen. He glanced at the bathroom door and her cell phone. He took a few seconds to think about picking it up but he didn't want to. That's none of his business. 

After half an hour, Saerin came out of the bathroom already wearing her nightclothes and wrapped her hair in a towel. She looked awkward standing there looking at Chanyeol who was sitting in the living room. They stared at each other for a moment. Saerin doesn't wear much makeup so she doesn't feel shy when she shows her bare face. It's just that it's a bit clunky. Chanyeol felt she was quite cute. She has clear eyes and a charming smile. She looks different when her hair was in a ponytail and loose. 

"Your cell phone was ringing." Chanyeol finally told her.

"Ah, yes." Saerin goes to get her cell phone and her face changes when she sees the three calls from Jae. She turned off her phone and glanced at Chanyeol. "You can use your bathroom now." 

Chanyeol stretched his body and walked away. He stopped and turned his head, "Someone will ring the bell. So, open it. I ordered dinner." 

Saerin nodded. She sat on the couch after Chanyeol entered the bathroom. She felt awkward and strange. Even though they had talked a bit more, but being alone after knowing each other for a few hours, was very awkward. 

The large window that surrounded the wall attracted Saerin to come closer. Her eyes sparkled at the unfamiliar city. She couldn't believe she was in Japan. "I must be crazy." She muttered to herself.

The sight before her calmed her down. She enjoys things like that. Even so, that didn't stop Jae from coming to her mind. Her eyes softened, her chest was still tight. 

The sound of the bell startled her a little. She turned to the door and immediately came to open it. Two hotel staffs smiled at her while bringing a trolley full of food. Saerin gave space for them to enter and arrange about six plates on the table and also a bucket containing a bottle of wine. She looked at the whole dish in amazement. It's not her first time because Jae likes to do it but this is Japan and authentic. 

"Oh, have food come?" 

Chanyeol came out of the bathroom right after the two hotel staff came out. 

"You really ordered all of this?" Saerin couldn't hold her smile. She likes to eat. 

Chanyeol glanced at her and smirked. "You don't look awkward when it comes to eating." He walked over her shoulder and sat in front of her. Saerin was still standing, looking at him. "What do you see? sit down." 

Saerin was smiling and sat down on the left of him. "You told me to order food but you ordered it instead." 

"You looked worried when you saw the menu." 

Saerin pouted. "The price is really almost the same as staying here." 

"Do not worry. It's me who treats." 

Saerin looked at him full of emotion. "Whoa. I really have great luck!" 

They began to taste the food in front of them. Saerin couldn't hide her pleasure, she felt the sushi melt in . While Chanyeol ate quietly, she secretly glanced at him and remembered the sad look on his face. Actually, she had a lot of questions but it sounded personal, after all, they wouldn't be seeing each other again. Seeing him living in a place like this, he was a figure out of reach. 

They finished their meal without speaking. "Do you want to drink with me?" Chanyeol finally spoke up.

Saerin looked at the wine on the bucket and nodded. Actually, her tolerance for alcohol was low but her current emotions fit perfectly with drinking. 

They sat on the sofa with their legs crossed. Saerin watched Chanyeol pouring wine into her glass with attitude. Saerin complimented him, "You are good." 

Chanyeol handed her a glass of blood liquid and smiled. "I never drink with strangers but I'm not in a good mood." 

Saerin smelled the wine on her glass. 

"You know how to drink it?" Chanyeol asked.

Saerin smiled in dazed. "Someone taught me." 

"That sounds special." 

"Hm." She responded. "But not anymore." 

They sat at each corner of the couch and faced each other. Chanyeol raised his glass to her for a cheer and Saerin did the same. She frowned for a while after drinking it then felt a burning sensation in . She nodded in approval, "This is not bad." 

Chanyeol seems satisfied. He took the bottle again and wanted to pour it again into Saerin's glass but she held out her palm towards him to stop. 

"I'll go crazy if it's more than one glass." 

Chanyeol noticed her face got red and her gaze changed. 

She was being honest, "I'm not good at drinking." She pursed her lips and placed her glass on the table. 

Chanyeol was staring at her and slowly she got sad on her face. "If you know you're a troublesome type when you drink, you shouldn't drink at all." 

"I know right.." She muttered and took the bottle of wine from him. "I will pour this for you then."

He didn't refuse but he didn't drink it right away either. They fell silent at each other and were overwhelmed with their thoughts. 

"Do you think we will meet again?" Saerin suddenly asked. 

"I don't know." He replied. "But this meeting is enough for me." 

Saerin was nodding. "I think so. There's no reason for us to meet again anyway." 

"I have no intention of seeing you again. You were quite troubled at the first day we met." He quips but smiles warmly.

Saerin chuckled. "If we meet again, I promise I won't bother you. Let's just be strangers." 

Chanyeol has not replied but he seems to agree.

The silence led Saerin to raise her own topic. "Actually...I went to Japan to meet my boyfriend." 

He wasn't surprised, he was just looking at her and feel wanted to listen to her story. "We've been dating for 7 years and have known each other for 9 years." She said. "He's my first boyfriend. We met in middle school and became friends until we finally confessed our feelings for each other. We went through our teenage years together and did a lot of crazy things. Even though we were dating, we were sometimes like friends. Maybe that's why we last." 

"But... we've been fighting a lot these past two years. Everything gets quite difficult and complicated but we always find a way to make up. However, the relationship itself turned cold." She told the story as she reminisced. "But, our fight yesterday was enough to make me uneasy. I thought I couldn't wait for him to come back to Seoul, so I sacrificed my semester's tuition and my savings to go here and see him. I think it will make him happy and we can have fun here. But he said he was tired and wanted to break up." There was a smirk on the corner of her lips and a glint in her eyes. "As I looked into his face and reached into his eyes, I realized a few things. He just doesn't love me anymore so without arguing I agreed." 

Saerin took a deep breath. "I'm not crying right now but it hurts a lot. It hurt me so much because I thought he would never say goodbye and I realized that I love him that much."

That feeling of pain, Chanyeol felt hers. 

"You'll forget him easier," Chanyeol said. "You've been happy with him, you've also been sick because of him. So you've got all those emotions. You'll be fine without him. Trust me..." 

Saerin looked at him and knew that those words were sincere. She became curious, "You often date?"

"I dated a few times and I went through a few things but in the end, it's just an experience you have to go through." Chanyeol's face changes suddenly. "But, it hurts more when you lose someone before you can experience all those emotions with them." 

Saerin tried to understand his words. She remembered her sad face again and realized that he had just lost someone. 

"Whatever that is. Isn't the pain experienced because we love that person, we trust that person and we are expecting that person, right? Dating, getting married, or just liking each other. If the person who was always with us left, it would be just as painful." 

Chanyeol accepted those words in his mind. He suppressed his emotions so as not to trigger the tears. He gulped down the liquid in his glass then he glanced at her who suddenly poured wine into her glass. 

"Cha...I think I can drink this one more time." Saerin raised her glass with a bright and excited smile. "I'll get through this!" She quickly took a sip of her drink and wrinkled her face for a long time while looking at him.

Chanyeol laughed softly at her and took her glass from her then put it down on the table. "When drinking you don't have to rush to add your glass. You should enjoy the sensation of being dizzy and floating in your head."

Saerin nodded and pointed at her head. "I feel it now." Then suddenly she was smiling widely, toothly. She held her cheeks and said cutely, "Do you think I'm not as beautiful as the female idols out there?" She got up and stood with one hand on her waist. "Am I not y enough?" 

Chanyeol looked over at her. "I think you should shrink your waist a bit." 

Saerin hid her stomach with her hands. "Oho! What are you thinking right now!"

"Tsk." He put down his glass and looked at her. "You're not my type." 

Saerin looked at him deeply then came over and sat next to him. She held his face and brought it closer to hers. Chanyeol still looks relaxed. "You're drunk." 

"I thought of this when I was with you..." She said with concerned eyes. "Why are you so handsome and pretty at the same time?" 

"You'll regret saying this." Chanyeol seemed unaffected by the distance between their faces. He could see her caramel eyes and little freckles on her cheeks. 

He was a man who just lost his love but he was just the man who can't deny his instincts even so he was a man who can control himself moreover he has no interest in the girl in front of him. 

Saerin was still staring at his eyes. She smoothly her gaze and becomes calm. "May I kiss you?" 

The question was enough to leave him blank for a moment and then he answered. "Not." 

Saerin was blinking. Suddenly tears fell from her eyes. She started crying loudly which made him shocked and confused. "H..hey." 

"Why?" Saerin took off her hands and shifted away from him. "Why you don't want to kiss me?" She bent her knees and whimpered. "Is it because I'm not your type? Because I'm not pretty?" 

"H..hey.. you're drunk." Chanyeol cautiously tried to approach her with bewilderment. "You'll regret it later." 

She kept crying without caring about him. Then all of a sudden he became soft when he heard her cry, it was like she let out all her pain. 

He sat next to her then hesitantly patted her on the back then she suddenly fell into his arms. At first, he was a little stiff then slowly he grabbed her arm and pulled her closer to his chest. He patted her gently and said, "It's okay." 

That night, for the first time, his normal days became very noisy again. Then slowly, the crying sound muffled, changed to snoring. She fell asleep. 

Carefully he laid her head on the couch. He went to get a pillow and a blanket for her, then help her to get a good position. After covering her with a blanket, he looked at her for a moment. There was a smile on his face. He didn't expect to be comforted by the girl he'd only met for less than a day. He felt grateful.

Chanyeol turned off the room light and replaced it with a warm lamp. He went to his bedroom and lay there. He closed his eyes but did not sleep at all. Yumi's shadow appeared in his head. Tears were flowing from the corners of his eyes but his lips were in a small smile. 

He missed her again.

The sound of Saerin's breathing deep in her sleep made him open his eyes and look at the tiny body curled up on his couch. 

He remembered her story and felt sympathy for her. Then slowly his eyes began to heavy and he fell asleep. 

-------

Slowly, Saerin opened her eyelids. She closed her eyes as felt her head was a bit heavy and her stomach was bloated. Then finally she was really open her eyes. She was still dazed and stared blankly. 

Saerin looked at the pillow and the blanket that covered her. It was so comfortable that it made her lazy to get up. She thought that he must have done it. And in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter