Chapter 2

If we're ever reborn (let's meet again)

It was one of the coldest nights that winter, with no sighting of people walking down the abandoned street. A girl is rubbing her gloved hands together, some holes revealing her reddish fingers and palm. A waft of breeze made her tremble, her teeth chattering from the minus temperature going through her frail built. It has been three days since she had a nice decent meal, and the ramen shop across the street seems tempting enough to fill her growling stomach. But it will be a while before she can have one, considering the street void of any human; the stale and soiled leftover bread in the garbage can would suffice for tonight.

As she was digging through the garbage, she saw from the corner of her eyes a group of men walking down the road towards the ramen shop. Her eyes shone from their appearances; these guys may pack a million won in their wallet. She begins her act of begging for money, only to be roughly shoved aside. Her eyes fell on the man in the center; his clothes were a bit different than the others.

Jackpot.

She tried to approach him, slithering through the others clad in black, before reaching for the beige-colored long coat. A small tug managed to get his attention as the man turned to her, eyes as cold as the night's weather.

He didn’t say anything, only sizing her up and down before signaling for his men to give her some charity. She bowed many times, trying to convey her gratitude for the money given. When they walked away, a grin soon appeared as she took out a wallet hidden underneath her worn out robe. She crouches by the corner, away from intruding eyes, as she counts the bill inside the stolen wallet.

However, a shadow suddenly looms over. Before she can turn around, her small body was propelled forward towards the wall, a slight crunching sound can be heard. A hand grabbed her short hair, followed by a punch on her face. The girl shook her head to get rid of the shock and dizziness, quickly springing to her feet and ran away towards the alley. She heard them yelling, hot on her trail as she whizzed through the empty boxes and garbage can with practiced ease. It Is indeed her territory; she had survived years living through the dumps while making her own escape plan to avoid being captured by the villagers.

However, she didn’t expect to bump into someone after turning a corner. She stumbled backwards, falling on her bum as a tall man towers over her, his hand reaching for her collar. Punches and kicks landed on her body, before she loses consciousness.

When she woke up, it wasn’t the familiar dark starry sky that welcomed her. It was blinding; she had to squint her eyes to make out the small orb emanating bright  light on the ceiling. She tried to move, but her body felt sore all over. That’s when she noticed a pair of eyes watching her curiously from the side. She winced from the big dark irises looking back at her, a smile visible on her face.

“Are you alright?”

She didn’t answer, only giving the girl a wary look. More questions were given, but she’s still not answering any of them. The girl with shoulder-length brown hair sighed, before getting a bowl on the bedside table.

“Here, you should eat first. You’re hungry, right?”

Just in cue, her stomach rumbles aloud. She averts her eyes to the ceiling, while a merry chuckle fills her ears. She peeks at the girl, the latter looking at her patiently while still holding out the spoon filled with steaming porridge. At that time, she felt a weird sensation. Her chest constricts, her eyes stings while her sight turns blurry. It was the first time she had been offered food without being asked, the first time she was treated kindly too, like a human.

The girl panics from seeing her tear-stricken face, only to widen her eyes as the stranger chomps down the spoonful of porridge. She blinks a few times, before letting out a set of giggles. It makes the small beggar feel warm; like the sound of chirping birds happily singing as they fly freely in the blue sky when the first ray of sun welcomes the earth. It makes her feel light and floaty, and she wants to hear it for the rest of her life.

Suddenly, the door swung open, revealing a man with tall stature and slick hair. She recognized him; the owner of the wallet she stole. She should be afraid, terrified to see him, but she didn’t. In fact, she looked him straight in the eyes.

“What’s your name?” He started, his voice gruff.

She kept mum, trying to study his presence. There was a weird air surrounding him, of pride and authority, with a hint of intimidation in his stare.

“You really surprised me back then.” His voice softens, a slight mirth audible. “I was expecting a dead body when they brought you to me, but you were still alive and kicking, despite being on the brink of death.” He neared the bed, standing beside the small girl with a hand on her shoulder. “It’s a miracle we met tonight. Because I am indeed in need of a candidate with an aptitude like yours.”

Her eyes cautiously study the man before her, wondering what intention he has with a useless tramp like her. He seems to have caught on, a small smile ghosting his lips.

“I have a proposal for you.” Her ears perked up, “You can live here with us. We will provide all the necessities you need; food, clothes, even this room can be yours. But in return, you are to serve the family for the rest of your life.”

Her jaws clenched from the appealing offer; a generous bid in place of her freedom. She might be homeless, but she is street smart, surviving solely by observing and learning from her surroundings. She might be a naïve 7 years old kid, but she’s not that stupid. Serving the family means being bound by their rules, their ways, or suffer consequences.

The man sees the contemplation in her eyes, letting out a mocking hum. “It is fine for me if you refuse. Just so you know, I’m not forgiving your crime. You will be handed to the authorities and I’ve heard that the punishment for stealing is being imprisoned for life.”

Her eyes widened, the sound of prison seemed scary enough for a small kid like her. She had heard stories, and it wasn’t anything fun like those fairytales the kids around her age gushed about.

“If you do take my offer, I will assign you to my daughter, if you prefer.”

She turns to the silent girl, her presence had been forgotten. The girl gives her an expectant look, her dim eyes shining brightly causing that warm sensation to resurface again. She gulped; it’s a long shot, but she has nothing to lose anyway.

“I… I don’t know what my real name is.” She muttered, eyes slowly rising towards the man. “But they call me Momo.”

“Momo, huh…” He rubs his scruffy chin, before offering a handshake. She hesitated at first, but a short glance to the smiling girl made her concede. She accepted the firm handshake with a determined look, the man smiling back at her.

“Welcome to the Myoui family, Momo.”  

 

 *

 

The corner of her lips lifted at the memories. It has been more than 20 years now since she serves the family, exactly 5 years of indirectly serving the sole daughter after the death of Myoui-dono. She should have been glad, at the least, to be free from his reign. However, there’s this unsettling feeling gnawing at the back of her head from her master’s words before he took his last breath.

“They won’t hurt Mina, not when you’re around. Always watch your back…”

That man was always full of riddles. Sometimes she will catch the meaning in a snap, other times would take months to decode. It’s unfortunate that Momo was always the victim of his mind-blowing brain twister; he either conveyed them as hints in her mission or just for plain amusement.

 

“I’m not one to question your action, Myoui-dono. But why me?”

“Because you’re more quick-witted as compared to hundreds of my men.” He silently chuckled; a feat resembling his daughter, Momo noted. “They’re more brawn than the brain, I must say. But you,” He tilts his head to the side, a subtle smile on his face. “You possess a nimble physic and a bright mind, Momo.”

He never called her by name, but when he does, it usually denotes how much he meant it. Momo’s chest swelled as she bit her lip to stop the smile itching to take form on her face.

“Use them wisely.”

She takes pride in that simple praise as she lowers her head in respect. “I understand, Myoui-dono.”

 

Momo had a hunch it’s something related to her master’s brother-in-law. Myoui Takeru had been on the run from the police since his teenage years, but he has proven himself useful for having large connections with the other yakuza clans all over Japan. The elders trust him enough to establish a new network of reliable yakuza groups for the Myoui family here in South Korea. Momo admits, he surprisingly knows his job. Well, if only he would stick to his goal rather than meddling with the family’s affair.

He always crossed his boundaries, always questioning Myoui-dono’s motive for putting Mina as the successor when she’s just a woman, unworthy of such position. A leader should be a man, he argued, and a man is more appropriate and fitting to be at the top. Because women are born to be weak, to be led. Their true purpose is to serve, not to be served. Maybe, that’s one of the reasons Mina abhors him, which gave rise to her strict upbringing that made Mina the woman she is now.

A respected, feared, honourable woman, and most of all, worthy to replace her father as the head of the Myoui clan.

It was something to be proud of as her personal assassin, but not so much for Momo when the woman lost a piece of her that makes Mina the precious person she is to the ninja.

The diamond had been polished, but it had lost its shine.

Ever since her father’s death, she noticed the slight changes going on with Mina. She’s more strict, uptight, and rather aloof at times. She would make decisions on her own, as compared to before when Momo would be her confidant for those tough missions and deadly assignments. Just like what happened that day in the warehouse; Chen wasn’t supposed to be dead. The order given by Takeru was to retrieve the money from his accountant, and that’s it. Momo had foreseen some feuds were bound to happen, considering Chen’s psychotic approach to provoke his associate; just because he can.

Momo was baffled when she was summoned out of the blue, when Mina had already insisted that she can take care of the task in a jiffy. Seven minutes might be her best time to be by Mina's side, but it isn’t so when the ninja is needed somewhere else. Momo knows the young master has some tricks up her sleeves if the ninja can’t make it on time, but Momo wouldn’t forgive herself if Mina ever gets hurt in between.

She would rather get killed protecting Mina than find a small cut on her body.

That’s why she’s on the lookout tonight at the dock, despite not receiving an order to follow the young master and her team for an illegal transaction, as requested by Takeru. Whenever his name appeared, there’s bound to be trouble, the ninja acknowledged. Momo lay low on top of one of the cargos, leaning back with folded arms as she overlooks the arrangement taking place between Mina and the drug dealers.

Momo recognized them; these guys are total nuts in the head, despite providing the best stuff with highest quality for their clients. She inwardly cursed Takeru for the risk he took to expand his business legacy, or more like the risk he pushed to Mina for the sake of his selfish and cowardly self. Just as she had predicted, a commotion breaks out on the ground.

“It’s just an additional few billion won. It won’t hurt your bank account, right?”

“The paper clearly stated the amount agreed.” Mina argued back, her face not showing the reaction he expected. “It’s either you take it, or we’re breaking the deal, along with your association with the Myoui clan.”

“Heh, are you joking, woman?”

“Did you see me laugh?”

Momo’s trained eyes carefully observe the surrounding, taking in the people on the ground as well as the snipers and hit men taking cover in their hiding spot. That man has enough people to start up a ruse, a blood-shedding one.  However, Momo had learned of his weakness based on the positions of his men. He’s as much as a coward like Takeru is, the difference would be his cuckooed head.

“I’ll make sure Takeru hear about this!”

“Do as you feel fit. I’m only here to convey what’s stated on the paper.”

He suddenly cackles, showing his yellowish teeth. “You know how annoying you are right now?”

“I’ve heard worse.” Mina plainly shrugged with a straight face.

The man grits his jaw in anger, swiftly taking out a gun hidden under his bomber jacket. Almost everyone points a gun at each other; the only exception is the woman in suit standing in the middle of the commotion with crossed arms. Her expression hardens from the sight, glaring straight at the dealer.

“You’re dead meat, !”

“And so do you.”

There was never an indicator to show the time they’re counting in their heads, but each time they did, the seconds always fell in tandem, tallying perfectly with their silent count. As if it was her cue to appear, Momo propels herself into the dark sky, landing flawlessly behind the dealer with a gentle thud. The knife pointed to his neck dampers the dealer’s intention to start the ruse as planned; he was informed the assassin wouldn’t be around tonight.

“Damn it.”

“To damn with you too.” Mina bit back, before shoving the agreement paper on his face. “Ready to sign this?”

 

~

 

Momo already expected the cold treatment she would receive from the young master when they reached the Myoui mansion. They met by the entrance, usually a hushed “good work” or “thank you for today” would be exchanged between them, but Momo received none. She wasn’t spared a glance by Mina, their shoulders merely brushed together as the ninja bowed her head as formality.

There was no one greeting her by the window of that one hallway, except for the head maid bringing a plate of freshly-cooked jokbal. Sana noticed the down-casted look of the ninja.

“You’re a ninja assassin, for Kami-sama’s sake – stop frowning!”

“I’m not frowning.” Momo deepens her frown on purpose. “This is my usual “ninja” face, just so you know.”

“Ha! You can’t fool me, Momo. You look ugly, by the way.” The ninja stuck out her tongue to the head maid, taking the plate with a grateful smile.

“Thank you for the food!”

“I’m sorry you had to eat my cooking again.”

“No kidding, these are really bland. How did you manage to be picked by Myoui-dono, though? Did you put something in his food?”

Momo wiggles her eyebrows, receiving a slap from the fuming maid. But with her ninja moves, Momo evades the slap, causing a loud groan to escape Sana's mouth.

“I’m a head maid, not the cook! There’s a huge difference between the two?”

“Ah, really? Not that I care.”

“Oh god… Why do I have the company of weirdos in this household? One is a chatterbox who annoys me to no end, while the other is a blocked head who bluntly comments on everything I do like it’s their business.”

“Why do you sound a lot like my dead grandma?” Speak of the devil. Sana rolled her eyes as she turned around to face the tall bodyguard with black hair tied in a low pony-tail, expecting another blunt remark from her. “She died from mental illness, I hope you won’t suffer the same.”

Sana merely raised a brow, the other mirroring her. “Why are you here?”

Tzuyu gives her a look before pointing to the dining area at the end of the hallway. “I’m thirsty so a drink?”

“Are you expecting to be served by me, then?” Sana folded her arms with an annoyed expression, but the younger woman simply stared back with her stoic face.

“That wouldn’t be necessary.” Her long legs take a step forward, her tall built towers over Sana. “But you’re blocking the way.”

Sana let out a small squeal before pushing through the tall body, a hand on her thumping chest. She heard giggle coming from the ninja perched on the windowsill, still chewing on her meal. Momo was met with a deadly glare, quickly returning her attention to the plate as she shoves a large chunk of meat into . As Tzuyu leaves, Sana turns back her attention to Momo, letting out a sigh from the couple's weird relationship.

“She’s still not talking to you?”

“Nope.” The ninja pops her lips.

“Don’t take it to heart. You know how Mina is, she has a lot on her plate right now. Ever since Myoui-dono left, the place had been a little disarrayed.”

Momo slowed her chewing, understanding the young master's stressful position. “Did she tell you anything?”

“No, she hasn’t shown her face in the dining area either.” The maid frowned, “But Tzuyu did mention she’s a bit off lately.”

Momo narrows her eyes when she heard the bodyguard's name being mentioned again. “Is something going on with you two?”

“W-What are you implying?”

She shrugs nonchalantly. “I would be careful if I were you. What if Mina finds out what’s going on with you and her personal bodyguard?”

“You’re clearly missing the point here. And could we stop talking about these kinds of things?” Sana loudly sigh while shaking her head, “If Myoui-dono was still alive, he would banish all of us onto a faraway island.”

Indeed, what Sana said didn’t stray from the truth even a bit. That man was strict about relationships among his men and staff, even more so if it was related to her daughter. She had once seen how a new recruit was beaten almost to death for laying his predatory eyes on Mina a tad too long for the master’s liking. There were only a few people allowed to communicate with his daughter, the ninja being one of them

But that benefit too, has its repercussion.

 

Momo had been kneeling on the cold floor for an hour now, her legs had started to tingle with the sensation of an army of ants crawling inside. The 20 years old was paralysed; not from the lack of blood supply to her lower limbs, but by the daunting gaze of her master.

“Have you caught on why you’re here?”

didn’t dare say a word, but she will still get a beating for replying too. She heard his footsteps getting closer, a tap on her crown had her snapped her head to him out of reflex.

“Tell me, what was your purpose here?”

She keeps her stare steady, because Myoui-dono is allergic to anything resembling cowardice. “To serve the Myoui family.”

She received a nod as the man started pacing before her. “Good.” He takes his time, walking back and forth in front of the kneeling ninja, “What about Mina?”

Her left eye twitched, her master stopped moving. Her breath hitched when the man crouched, staring deeply into her eyes with an unreadable expression.

“Answer me.”

“She…” Momo gulped, her eyes wavering. “I am to serve and protect Mina, Myoui-dono.”

“What’s that again?”

The ninja averts her gaze, already knowing the fate about to befall her from his repeated question. But she still answered, because there’s no in between for them; it’s either a yes or a no.

“I am to serve and protect Mina, Myoui-dono.” She said it while staring back at him, her voice a bit firm than before.

“Good,” A punch landed on her face, “But not good enough.”

Momo didn’t move, didn’t dare, to wipe her bleeding lips, only clamping her jaw tightly to endure the stinging pain and dizziness in her eyes. A few seconds later, a loud sigh can be heard, followed by a hard kick on her gut.

“Urk!” The ninja writhed on the floor, a hand suddenly pulled her chin upwards. “Get up.”

She slowly got to her feet while the master opened his door, revealing Mina with teary eyes. He calmly gestured his daughter to come inside, a hand roughly yanking the collar of Momo’s shirt to make her stand properly.

“From today onwards, you are to address my daughter as Ojou-sama, and nothing else.” He pats the ninja on her back, “You got that?”

“Yes, Myoui-dono.”

“Leave.” He pushed her towards the door, the girl almost tripping with her jelly-like legs. “I don’t want any disturbance when I’m talking with my daughter.”

 

~

 

The ninja went into hiding at her favourite spot; the tallest oak tree found on the Myoui’s land. She sat perched atop a branch, trying to sooth the bluish bruise on her belly by gently rubbing the sore spot with a relieving balm. A hiss escaped when she touched her left cheek. He really packed a punch on that hit; Myoui-dono was trying to really get his point across, no doubt.

She stares into the distance, thinking of the possibility that he might have caught on what’s going on between his daughter and the personal assassin. Her chest squeezed an indescribable feeling from the thought, of what will happen to Mina and her once the cat is out of the bag. She can’t bear to lose Mina, to be separated by her. She is her love, her savior from the madness going on in this household, the cruelty of her own hands that had taken countless lives. The angel of death, what they called her, when she’s only a human at heart. A weak human trying to survive through the insanity of this wicked family.

Only Mina can keep her sane from falling into the despair of her own guilt…

The sound of twig broke her reveries. She blends herself within the leaves, only her eyes peeking on the intruder on the ground. Her eyes soften at the familiar figure, but remain silent.

“Momo?”

Of course, it would be futile trying to hide from Mina when she practically memorized every hiding spot of the ninja.

“Momo-rin, I know you’re up there.”

Momo keeps shut, eagerly watching as the young woman began taking off her outer apparel before tying the sleeves around her waist.

“If you won’t come down,” She lowly grumbled, the ninja intently listening. “I’ll just go up there by myself.”

Momo panicked, remembering that one time Mina had fallen with a broken arm after trying out her luck to climb this very same tree. As soon as Mina touches the tree bark, a figure landed by her feet.

“Are you crazy?”

“Gotcha.” Mina smiled as she took Momo’s hand, ignoring the scowl on her face. “Come with me.”

Momo didn’t know how it happened, but she was suddenly inside the shack, with Mina tending to her injury. She cast a glance on the girl standing tall like a well-sculpted statue by the door. The newly-hired bodyguard, Chou Tzuyu she recalled, was suddenly assigned to be with Mina 24/7 since last month. She was confused with the prompt decision, but after putting two and two together after the incident today, Momo understood that it was mainly because of her.

“Where are you looking at?”

Momo turns to the voice, finding an adorable pout on Mina’s face. She wanted to chuckle from the cute sight, but refrained herself. Instead, she bumped their foreheads together as a silent apology. Mina reciprocated with a soft nuzzle on her nose, the latter quickly pulled away with concerned eyes.

“Won’t she…” Momo shot a glance at the motionless bodyguard, the young master silently giggled with a shake of her head.

“She won’t be bothered, Momo-rin.”

“But Myoui-dono will –”

“Hear nothing of this.” Mina gave her an assured smile, a hand her unharmed cheek. Momo wants to believe, but her trembling eyes were saying otherwise; she had suffered firsthand backlash by the master, she can’t imagine the consequences when he finds out the truth.

“Momo-rin…” A thumb her cheek, her eyes went back to the pair of gentle orbs.

“Hm?”

“It’s going to be fine.” Their foreheads met again, “Trust me.”

Momo closed her eyes with a soft hum, a peck landing on her lips. It was soft, an innocent touch, but she felt reassured by the simple gesture. They pulled away, only to reconnect again with more ardour, trying to convey their feelings with more fervor. But the sound of clearing throat broke the two apart, Momo snapping her eyes open to the sound of feet closing in on them in a rather fast motion.

“Ya~ho!” The door slammed open, revealing a maid with a wide grin on her face carrying a rather large, steaming plate on her hand. “Anyone’s hungry?”

 Mina let out a deep breath, while the ninja gave the newcomer a look, a finger pointing at the back of the door.

“Um, Sana…?”

“What?”

“Behind you.”

Sana turns around, followed by a loud gasp at the sight of an annoyed Tzuyu with a red spot on her forehead, a bump slowly growing by the seconds.

“Yah, what are you doing over there?”

“Standing watch.” She deadpanned with a scowl. “Ever heard of knocking first before walking into a room?”

Sana frowned at the tall woman discreetly mocking her, “How do I know you’re going to be there! Besides, it’s a shack, not a room!”

“There’s still a door to knock.”

Mina muffled a laugh from the small bantering, only to catch the far off look of her lover.

“Hey, you okay?”

The ninja gave a quick shake of her head to Mina before rising to her feet. She ignored the worried look of the young master, giving a small smile in return.

“I need to go, Ojou-sama.”

She saw how Mina’s eyebrows deeply furrowed from the way she was addressed, but Momo had to. She had to remind Mina the warning, of what the man did to her, forced her to do. There’s too much at stake here and one slip up might ruin everything.

“Where?”

“I won’t be long.” Momo blatantly disregards the question, not because she didn’t want Mina to know; even she herself is not sure where to go. It was a lame excuse, but she needed some time to herself to think through all of this.

“Sana, watch her for me?”

The maid exchanged looks with the bodyguard, before giving a slow nod. Without sparing Mina another glance, Momo strides out of the small building.

“Wait!” Her hand was snatched to a pause. “Why? Just – Tell me where you’re going? Please, Momo-rin…”

The ninja closed her eyes with a sigh, before tugging her hand away from Mina’s tight hold.

“Stop worrying about me.” She swallowed, coarse.

”You need to take care of yourself first…” Her fists tightly clenched, dreading the foreign words about to escape . “Ojou-sama.”

Her feet moved unconsciously, running with no destination in mind. She needs an escape, away from the house, away from the people, away from everything.

But most of all, away from her Mina.

 

That day was the stupidest decision she had made. It was still vivid, the image of Mina crying herself to sleep for the days Momo decided to disappear; except that she wasn’t. Her coward self had sneaked up the oak tree near the window of Mina’s room. It was her common spot to watch over the girl at night to keep her safe, only that night she was the cause of Mina’s pain. It hurt her too, but what else can she do? 

Something changed between them. Momo stopped calling Mina like she used to, addressing her the same as others. Mina understood her action, but she became distant, engrossing herself with more training and missions to do. The present Mina right now was partly her fault; long lost the girl with shy gummy smile always cheering her up, replaced with the enigmatic woman void of emotion. 

She was naïve back then, pushing the love of her life away when all they really needed was each other. She did that on the pretense of Mina’s sake, to protect the young master from her own father, from Momo’s selfish desire, and from the most painful feeling in the world; heartbreak.

They have grown more mature by now, and Momo will do anything she can to get her back, to reclaim Mina’s frozen heart as hers. She swore to herself she would be Mina’s guiding light, just like little Mina did when she was a lost and wild little girl. The ninja assassin decided there’s only one purpose in her life; to serve Mina for the rest of her life.

But first, she needs to watch out for any possible threat to the clan. Her attention falls on the old man staggering towards his car. Momo can already make out his drunken state based on his reddened face and staggered gait, probably wasting off the liquor collection of Myoui-dono in the living room. Despite being despised by everyone, he is still welcomed inside the household, courtesy of the late Myoui-dono’s request.

 

The rather aged man probably sensed Momo’s confusion from his peculiar demand, as he let out a laugh so loud, it echoed inside his room.

“He might be a disgrace to the clan, but he is still a Myoui.” The man stated, his small smile morphing into a frown. “Takeru became the man he is, probably because of me.”

Momo carefully listened with interest; it’s a rare occasion that the usually taciturn master is chatty about his life.

“That man might be foolish, but his greed and revenge makes him a formidable rival for the next successor. He is still considered the rightful heir because of his Myoui blood, but he’s lacking in many aspects, and that’s when Mina comes in. What Takeru lacks in becoming a virtuous leader, Mina will compensate, making her the best candidate to replace me.”

Momo noticed his sullen eyes as the man stood from his chair, cradling a thick book in his hand.

“My reign will end soon, and when the time comes, Takeru will be the first in line to fight for the throne. He is but a man full of trickery and scheme, being the coward and spoiled man he is. However, Takeru will be the cause of his own downfall, along with this family.”

He faced the mahogany bookshelves, filling the empty slot with the book in his hand. He slightly his head to the corner of the room, acknowledging the ninja blending with the shadow.

“When that day comes, I need you to keep Mina away from any harm, as best as you can. Will you honour this one last wish of an old man?” His eyes were begging, almost pleading to the woman who decided to step out of the shadow and kneeled before him.

“I will protect her with my life, Myoui-dono.”

 

Whatever the late master predicted that day, had finally come to light. It frightens her how much of a strategist that man is; even in his death, he can already foresee the future of the Myoui clan, as well as Mina and Momo’s fate. She finally understood his reasoning, why Momo was spared from being beaten to death after stealing his wallet. He already predicted what will become of their deep friendship, and he makes use of it to his advantage; that Momo will be the sound of reason for his daughter to see her worth as the future successor, all because of the sole reason to protect one another.

Momo shakes her head from the revelation, an amused smile on her face. All this while, she was only a mere puppet for his game of turf-war; the ninja acting as a sacrificial pawn for the main character to strive. But she wouldn’t have it any other way; not when the main character is Mina.

She will do anything in her power to keep Mina safe from harm, or rather, from her own self.

 

*

 

Over a plain field, two kids can be seen running around in a game of tag, one of them escaping from her evening combat lesson while the other is bored of being cooped up in her room all by herself. It was a normal routine for them to play together, and spend time at the usual place at the hilltop situated at the back of the mansion.

“Yah, wait up! I can’t run in these shoes!” The 14 years old Mina shouted while holding her favourite book, her white doll shoes now covered in specks of mud.

At the front, a slightly older girl by a year happily laughed as she easily outran the younger, having greater stamina and already used to running from her intense training. She glanced back at her friend, before turning around to give her a merong.

“Catch me if you can!”

Mina groans, trying her best to catch up since it is a part of her training too. She has to undergo a harsh regiment to enroll in that new academy and Mina is always up for a challenge with the ninja. Momo glanced over her shoulder, provoking the girl to catch her, unaware of the edge of the hill she’s about to approach. Mina saw this with widened eyes, quickly warning her friend to stop.

“Momo, watch out!”

“You can’t fool me – KYAHH!”

The ninja tumbled down the steep hill to the ground below. Mina rushes over, carefully sliding down the slope towards Momo with her worn out doll shoes.

“Momo! Are you okay?”

“Yeah!” The girl raised a thumb up with a wide grin plastered on her soil-stained face, still lying flat on her back. “I’m invincible, see?”

Mina shakes her head, towering over the girl for any injuries, only to be pulled down over Momo’s body.

“Yah! What was that for?”

Mina pushes herself up, but Momo holds the girl in her arms, trapping her in a hug.

“Pretty.”

“Huh?” Mina blushes, but Momo was quick to brush it off with a teasing smile.

“Not you. I’m talking about the sky.”

Mina pouts, her chubby cheeks puffed out as she forces herself off Momo’s comforting hug. The latter giggled, tugging the shirt of the sulking girl to look at her.

“Join me.” She pokes Mina’s cheek. “I’m not lying, the view over here is really pretty.”

With a roll of her eyes and a sigh, Mina relents as she plops down beside Momo, the latter’s arm acting as her cushion. They quietly stare at the sky, watching the clouds gently floating along the breeze as their cluttered mind and build up stress begins to dissipate with the wind.

“Nee…”

“Hm?”

“Tell me about that book again.”

Mina glanced at her book laid forgotten by her side, a smile etched on her face.

“You’ve been hearing the same thing every week. Aren’t you bored with the story?”

“Aren’t you?” Momo raised an eyebrow at the younger, “You read that book since we were seven! That’s a life dedication you got there, Mi-tan.”

She laughed, turning her attention back to the sky. “I don’t know, I just love this book. There’s this certain charm that attracts me to it, as if my life and the characters are connected, you know?”

“Ehh? What part of the story is related to you?” Momo frowns, “As far as I remember, the main characters are friends growing up together who became lovers, only to die and got reborn, as twins!”

Mina’s laughter raised a note, a hand covering . “You’re really missing the point here, Momo.”

“Ehh? Darn, now I’m confused! That’s why I can’t read those love novels.” She grumbled, earning another set of giggle from Mina.

“It’s not about the ending that matters, but what’s going on with the characters.” Momo rolled over with a curious look, eager to hear Mina’s explanation. “They love each other, but they can’t be together because of differences in status. However, they still fight for their love and overcome the obstacles. But destiny was never a choice of ours; the family separated them and moved away to another country.”

Momo nodded, prompting Mina to continue. “Before they parted, they went to a wishing well and made a wish. To be reborn and meet each other again, never to be separated. In the end, that wish does come true, even if it’s a bit of a plot twist and a letdown to many.”

“Such as me.” Momo intervenes, the other grinning back at her. “If it was me, I would ask for another wish though.”

Mina raised her brows from her statement. “What’s that?”

“I’ll wish for both of us to live a happy married life and be in love forever, be it in life and death.”

Mina blinks her eyes twice, stunned from Momo’s wish. Her heart skipped a beat, before a fluttering sensation filled her stomach. The sun’s ray is shining over Momo’s figure, showering her with a light that is so pure and innocent, it brings out the best version of Momo’s smile Mina has ever seen.

“Let’s do it.”

“Eh? W-What do you mean?”

Mina grabs her hand, further shocking the already startled ninja. “I want to marry you, Momo. Let’s do it right now.”

“W-Well,” Momo scratched her rosy cheek, “If we want to get married, we have to exchange rings and vows.”

“Hmmm.” The ninja hoped Mina would soon realize it’s impossible to get married at this moment. However, she forgot that Mina always has a way to get what she wants, eventually. “I know! I’ve read before that instead of rings, they kiss the place where the ring is supposed to be worn!”

Momo rubs her nape sheepishly, weighing the outcome of this spontaneous marriage they’re having. “I guess it’s fine like that.” She mumbles, “Do you remember the vows?”

“It goes something like to have and to cherish?” Mina’s forehead scrunched from her short term memory, “Or was it to hold and to love?”

“Hmm… how about till death do us part?”

The younger’s face lit up from the familiar phrase. “Oh, I’ve heard that one! Let’s go with that.”

They stand before each other, their faces filled with all sorts of emotion; one was elated and giddy, the other full of anxiety and uncertainty. But as their hands connected in a tight hold, the nerves they felt washed away, leaving them with light chest and a fuzzy feeling all over.

Momo crouched on one knee, gently holding Mina’s hand as she laid a kiss on her ring finger. “Till death do us part.”

Mina pulls the ninja to stand, raising the latter’s hand to her face, her lips meeting the soft skin of Momo’s ring finger. “Till death do us part.”

They faced one another, both letting out a relieved smile. As they were drowned in the other’s eyes, the distance separating them shortened too, their heart thumping a beat so loud, it deafened their ears from the surroundings. Heads tilting in tandem, their lips soon met, their hearts soaring up to the sky as they sealed the vow with an unspoken promise to each other.

 

 

To love the other with all their heart, until death do them part.