Chapter 1

If we're ever reborn (let's meet again)

“Set the timer.”

“Yes, ojou-sama.”

The woman cracks her neck, eyes unwavering from the man making a call, his hands vaguely trembling. She loosens her necktie, before carefully rolling the sleeves of her sleek black suit. A man donning a similar attire but with shades on, takes a step forward when she casts a glance on him; a small black baton is presented with a slight bow.

With a swift swing of her hand, the baton elongated while her heels clack dauntingly closer to the trembling man. He shouts into the phone, mumbling foreign words to the other end, only for the call to end abruptly. The woman stands before him, hand swinging the baton in a rather laidback manner.

 

TICK

 

“So?”

He jumped from the menacing sultry voice, cold sweats dripping down his forehead.

“I’ve told you before! It’s not my–”

“You have seven minutes, Mr Wong.” She points to the stopwatch on the coffee table. “I presume you know how to count, considering your job as the accountant.”

“Listen, I don’t have the money!”

 

TICK

 

“Time’s running.” She remarked, expressionless.

“I already said–”

“I’m not deaf.” She cut him off, “And so do you.”

The man glanced to the ticking stopwatch, before kneeling down, hands and head on the ground.

“Please, spare me! I-I have a family and a newborn at home! P-please…”

The girl keeps mum, eyes forlornly watching the man with disinterest. She pokes the end of the baton on his head, nudging him for his attention.

 

TICK

 

“Get up.”

“But–”

 

SMACK!

 

“Ughh!” The man cried aloud from the sudden hit, cradling his bruised head. “Please, don’t hit – YAARGHH!”

“Stop acting.” The woman jabs the swollen mark with force, before kicking him off to the wall. She tilts her head to the side, pointing her baton to the dark entrance. “I don’t deal with cowards, Chen.”

The sound of claps filled the empty warehouse as a man with a top hat and white beard appeared. He takes out a rectangular container from his jacket, pulling out a roll of cigar before lighting it up. Taking in a few puffs, he lets out a loud sigh as grey smoke covered his face.

 

TICK

 

“Tsk.” He points the cigar towards the ticking sound, “Always impatient, aren’t we?”

“I don’t like wasting time.”

“Of course. Time is money, they said.” He lets out a snort, unamused. “But you wasted seven minutes on my guy. How foolish, eh?”

She keeps her glare at him, warily calculating his moves. “Why is that?”

He shrugs indignantly, “Because my men,” The cigar slipped from his fingers, a sneer growing on his face. “Are already here.”

 

TICK

 

As soon as the burning cigar touched the ground, a flock of men appeared from every corner and surrounded the woman and her henchmen. They quickly take cover at the sound of shots being released, the woman being protected by one of her guards. She calmly stands behind the pillar, silently counting in her head with eyes closed.

The gunshots suddenly ceased, prompting the woman to open her eyes.

“What irony. Didn’t you call me a coward just now? Look who’s hiding!”

The place echoed with laughter, an unpleasant sound to her ears. The woman steps away from the pillar, exposing herself in plain light as she signals for her men to stand down. She boldly approaches the bearded man with her chin raised, despite the countless of barrels pointing at her.

“It’s called strategy, Chen.”

“Strategy?” The man loudly cackles from her reply. “You’re like sitting ducks right now, Myoui!”

“Are you sure?”

The sneer on his face falters as she an eyebrow, her stoic face cracking into a smirk.

 

KRINGG!

 

All heads turn to the source of the sound blaring on the coffee table, unaware of a masked figure jumping down from the roof of the warehouse, landing perfectly in front of the woman.

“Finish the others.”

“As you wish.”

A ninjato unsheathed from its scabbard, the image of its incoming victims visibly reflected on the shining surface. Within seconds, all of the enemies standing before the figure had been slain to their death without a single drop of blood staining the weapon, leaving the man with top hat standing by himself.  

“What the – URK!”

Without warning, a cold steel was pressed on his neck, rendering him stupefied by the unknown presence. He struggles to break free, only to feel the steel pressed deeper into his skin, inflicting pain and a flow of liquid down his neck.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

“Y-You! What’s the meaning of this?”

The woman gets closer, her soft locks of long brown hair tied in a low ponytail swaying gently with each step. But it isn’t so with her face, the demeanor is as cold as ice that might freeze a person just by her stare alone.

“We asked nicely, Chen. It’s already written in the contract.” She stated, her voice void of the tenderness a woman supposed, expected, to have. “But you can’t read properly, it seems.”

“Heh, if you kill me, you won’t get the money.” He tried to reason, bursting into a desperate laugh. “You still need me, right?”

The woman inched closer, the calm orbs glaring deep into his trembling ones.

“Did you know why I wasted seven minutes just now?”

“Ha! You’re obviously expecting me. What else?”

“That’s really condescending, but no.” She snorted, the first humorous reaction he ever heard coming from the poker-faced woman. “I was waiting for her.”

She directs her eyes to the person on his back, the man loudly gulping as realization soon fell on him.

“What? Y-You mean…”

A paper was presented to him which he knew fairly well of the content; the agreement he made with the Myoui clan.

“Once you break the agreement,” She tears the paper into half, “Your fate was already decided.”  

“No… N-No! But the money –”

“Is already taken care of.” She deadpanned, throwing the papers to his face before turning on her heels. 

“He’s yours, Momo.”

“Yes, Myoui-sama.”

 

*

 

15 years ago…

 

"Are you sure you can protect me?" 

Little Mina blurted the question as they head outside for a quick game of hide and seek, the other girl with bangs had just finished bragging about her newly-learned skill of hiding in plain sight.

"Of course! I'm training for that sole purpose, Mi-tan!"

"But you don't look like a ninja to me, Momo-rin."

"Eh? How come?"

"Well," Little Mina made a pondering face, before a grin etched on her face. "You look more like a raccoon!"

"Ahh, why are you teasing me?" She whined, only to receive a hearty chuckle from the girl that resembles a penguin. Of course, she wouldn't dare say that to her face.

"Fine. If you can find me within 10 minutes, I'll acknowledge you as my protector." 

"10 minutes?” Momo pondered, before showing her small fingers. “Make it seven!"

Mina frowned, "Why seven?"

"Because it's your favourite number, Mi-tan!"

Little Momo giggled at her flustered playmate before facing the tree with her eyes closed. 

"Ready or not, here I come!"

 

*

 

“Seven, huh?”

Mina mused to herself, leaning against the cold, tiled wall of the dining room with her arms crossed. She looks over to the long, rectangle dining table in front of her with distaste, the huge presence brought no meaning to the dim room; more like a sore thumb to the non-existent occupant it had.

“Myoui-sama?”

She turns her head to the voice, a woman of her age clad in a maid attire is bowing deeply to her, causing an annoyed breath to be released from her nose.

“Sana, how many times do I have to tell you?”

The woman raised her head with a playful smile. “What? You want to have me beheaded for calling your name instead?”

Mina rolled her eyes with a snort, “No head is going to be decapitated in this household.”

“Tell that to your uncle.” 

She heard the small mumble, but paid no heed. Just by the mention of his name alone brings such wrath in her; she doesn’t want to have a bad mood when facing him later. She taps the wooden cabinet, catching Sana’s attention.

“May I trouble you with a request?”

Sana nods, knowing exactly what the head of the house wants. “Won’t she throw a tantrum, though?”

“Why?”

“You promised her your own homemade dinner for the mission, not mine.”

Mina bit her lip out of guilt, knowing she’s going to break another promise. It poses less importance than the previous she had broken, but to her, a promise is a promise. Sana giggled to herself seeing the ruthless woman mulling over a childish promise she made, the sound snapping Mina out of her own thoughts.

“I’m sure she would understand. It’s obvious to everyone how whipped she is for you.” Mina frowns, earning another joyous laughter from the head main. “The usual?”

“Yes, please?” Mina gives her a pleading smile, a rare one that only a few have the privilege to see. 

“Sure, sure. Anything for my ojou-sama!”

“As compensation, I’ll give you the same day off with Chou next week.”

“Eh? W-Wait! What are you –”

But Mina had already ran off to the door with a small chortle, leaving Sana in a blushing mess at the thought of the tall, young bodyguard. She shakes her head to rid off the flutter in her chest, before occupying herself to prepare the requested dish for a certain ninja.

 

~

 

As Mina neared the meeting room, she feels her nerve budding with each step. She greets the tall woman waiting patiently by the door with a nod, the latter responding with a small bow.

“He’s inside?”

“Yes, ojou-sama. However,” She paused, eyes glancing to the door. “He seems to be on the edge.”

Mina exhaled through her nose; this old man with his mood swings is worse than a girl on her period. She knocks twice before stepping inside, her personal bodyguard adorning all black following suit. 

“Finally, you’re here.” He exclaimed with an air of arrogance and vexation while slamming a folder on the table. “What the hell did you just do?”

“Performing my assignment, as requested.” She calmly answered, only to hear a loud bang from the hand hitting the surface of the mahogany table.

“What nonsense are you saying?!” He approached her with flaring nostrils, “Don’t you know how important Chen is to our funds?”

Funds, or more like his personal slush funds coming from the smuggled drugs and firearms. Mina finds it funny how they said these funds benefit the clan, when it's the other way around. They already have a fortune, what can a few more million won do for them?

A never-ending greed for wealth, unfortunately.

She wants to make a change, and to prune off the bad branch is the first thing to do. Well, in this case, a parasite in the form of a despicable excuse of a human.

“I merely did what’s best under my fair jurisdiction, and in this situation, was to annihilate him for good.”

 

PAK!

 

A hand met her cheek; the loud slap caused her skin to sting. Her bodyguard had already took a step forward to constrain the old man, but a hand raised halts her action.

“Chou.”

The latter contemplates, before backing down after a glimpse of the harden face of her master.

“You do know you’re in my property right now, uncle.” 

She warned, voice calm but filled with malice. The old man lets out a loud annoyed huff before retreating back to his seat. Even if the elderly act like they rule the clan, Mina is still the next in line as a successor. Her late father had already made arrangements with her grandfathers that Mina is the one, and only person suited for the position, as proven by her unmatched prowess and reliability compared to her other cousins. 

She knows she has the upper hand in the Myoui clan, and she will make use of it as she wills. 

 

~

 

The long walk along the dim corridor seems eerie for outsiders, but not for a certain Myoui. Her heels clicked against the tiled shining floor, only for her to stop by the open window, an apparent nerve pulsating on her forehead.

"I know you're there..." She growled into the darkness to no one, except a figure suddenly jumps up the windowsill, adorning a kitsune mask.

"Myoui-sama!" The girl greeted as she pulled the mask over her head, exposing her fang-protruding grin. "What do you need me for?"

It really fascinates Mina how the ninja in front of her has such duality in her personality. She is a formidable, monstrous assassin in the dark, void of any emotions that can be called humane. But whenever her sight falls on the sole owner of the house, the dull pair of eyes lit up with a life of its own; her forlorn face brightens up with a smile so wide, it puts the blinding sun to shame.

"Your plate." Mina stated dryly, a hand on her waist. "Why is it untouched?"

The girl sheepishly rubs her nape, eyes avoiding the cold pair before her. "You know I can’t, Myoui-sama."

The sight was endearing; too adorable for the future head of the yakuza clan to endure. Myoui Mina is known to be a notorious leader and young successor of the Myoui family, but not so much when it comes to the female ninja serving her family for the past 20 years. She knows Momo is merely messing with her from the small smirk ghosting on the ninja’s face, probably to get back at Mina for not bringing the promised dinner in person. She clears , hoping it will ease the heat rising up her face.

"So you'd rather starve to death?"

"If that is your wish, Myoui-sama." 

The woman blinks, before averting her gaze to the floor. It was supposed to be a joke, but the glint of vain in the ninja’s eyes showed otherwise. How foolish, she thought, that someone is binded by the pretext of status and loyalty, to the extent of disregarding self-care or sacrificing their life. She hates, loathes the notion so much, it pains her to accept the reality that she’s a part of that depressing life.

Mina feels eyes on her, noticing how the woman before her is scrutinizing the growing swell on her cheek with furrowed eyebrows. She clears , before walking to the direction of the dining room.

"Come."

"Eh? Where to?"

"Eat." Mina paused, casting a glance over her shoulder, "With me."

She marches forward, hiding the small smile playing on her lips at the sound of excited squeal. "Of course, Myoui-sama!"

Her pride is at stake for being too lenient with the servant who owes her whole life to her, but Mina wouldn't have it any other way. She owns her, anyway. She’ll do whatever she can to make things better for her, for them, hoping one day she can get rid of the overwhelming guilt devouring her already tainted soul. Even if it cost Mina her rationality and sentiment that had been buried deeply in the abyss of her cold heart.

That night, however, a tear dropped from the sight of an ointment laid by her window, courtesy of the kind-hearted assassin. How ironic, but it's the sad truth that links Mina and Momo together. Of how they have grown out of love, when it's love that they desire.

 

“To know how much a person cares for you, is not by words, but through their actions.”

 

Mina still remembers those words dearly, holding onto it desperately as her last resort of sanity in this wretched world where she is wanted for nothing, but only death.

 

*

 

10 years ago…

 

Young Mina squeezed her eyes shut at the carcass of a bunny lying lifeless on the gravel road. She was just playing with the cute creature yesterday when one of the men brought in a pair of them, only to see her favourite being slaughtered cold-heartedly by her father in plain sight. 

“Here.” A blade was given to Mina, her shaky hands struggling to hold the weapon. “Your turn, Mina.”

She snapped her head towards her father, his face lacks the empathy she was used to. He folded his arms together, standing beside his trembling daughter with an air of authority in his stance. Mina looked at her father again, but the man isn’t showing any sign of letting her resign from the task in hand, like she usually did before.

“You’ve grown, Mina. It’s time for you to embrace the honor of a Myoui blood.”

Despite the tears flowing down her eyes like a broken tap, the man ignores her silent plea. She closed the gap with the brown rabbit; this one unofficially belongs to her playmate. They had made a secret agreement last night to take care of each, if her father permits. She didn’t expect the fate of the cute animals were already doomed once they step into this household.

“Father…”

“Do it.” His deep voice commanded, “Or should I call Momo to kill it in your stead?”

Her eyes widen at that name. She can’t let Momo kill it; the latter loves the fluffy animal so much, she sacrificed her precious snack for the bunny to eat. No, Momo had suffered enough loss to have another.

But her hands were paralysed; they don’t seem to follow her orders. Her feet were glued to the ground, her mind blank from the surrounding except for the poor creature about to face its end.

However, her sight was suddenly filled with red. 

Mina woke up from her trance, eyes trembling at the sight of the unresponsive animal covered in its own blood, a blade stabbed on its body. She traced the hand holding it, meeting the back side of a familiar figure. 

The girl rose to her feet, pulling along the blade before turning around to face her master for a deep bow. The man grunted, his sharp eyes directing his disappointment to her daughter before ordering his men to clean the scene.

Mina looks up to her friend, expecting a similar expression like her father. However, she was met with Momo’s smile, a pained one, while holding the blade dripping with blood.

“I told you I’d protect you, didn’t I?”

  

 ~

 

Mina almost throw a tantrum after finding out Momo was prohibited from entering the house; the excuse given was because it’s part of her training. She ran outside, finding her friend practicing her morning routine of martial arts in this cold weather. Snow had just fallen a few days back, the temperature had significantly dropped a few degrees. She was surprised to see Momo wearing a rather light outer layer, as compared to her own thick garment. 

“Momo-rin!”

“Mi-tan?” Momo stopped her action, facing the panting girl trying to catch her breath. “W-What are you doing here?”

She didn’t receive an answer, only a hard push on her chest, causing Momo to stumble a few steps backwards.

“E-Eh? What’s going on?”

“Why?” Mina punched her on the chest, a deep frown on her reddish face. “Why do they have to do this to you?”

Momo’s face softened, slowly pulling the girl closer before wrapping her arms over Mina’s small built.

“It’s part of training, Mi-tan.” She patted the young master’s head gently, “So I can protect you.”

“Why do you have to protect me?”

“Because Myoui-dono cares for you.”

“How do you know that?” Mina pouted, “He never said anything to me.”

Momo scratched her unitchy head, trying to come up with a believable reason. “Well, sometimes love can be shown in different ways.”

Mina looks up at her friend grinning innocently back at her, “What’s that?”

“Like how he chose me out of the many men he has to protect you,” She bops Mina’s red nose with a finger, “Because he knows how much I love you.”

“Really?” Mina gave her an expectant look, the young ninja gently smiling back while swaying them back and forth followed by a kiss on her crown.

“To know how much a person cares for you, is not by words, but through their actions.”

Mina didn’t understand it back then what the words meant, only regarding it as a means for Momo to stop her from questioning anymore of her father’s orders. It worked for a while, but when she questioned the ninja in-training of the place she’s living in, Mina was bewildered.

“The shack?” She screeched, “You mean, the old worn down storehouse in the backyard?”

“Yeah, exactly what I said.” Momo shrugged, idly breaking a twig. “The shack.”

“Momo, we store firewood in that place!”

“I know.” She nodded, a wide smile etched on her face. “They’re really handy, especially right now. I don’t have to find my own wood to make fire. Saves up the time I need for hunting and –”

“Hold it – hunting?!”

Momo sheepishly scratched her cheek from the slip up of her current state, which she never wanted to reveal considering the worrywart nature of her friend.

For Mina though, she had enough.

She made a beeline to her father’s room, knocking at the door twice before barging in with an angry glare. Her rage didn’t last for a minute, because his father is known for his ways of manipulating words, and Mina is never an exception for his guilt trip roundabout.

"She wouldn't have to go through those harsh trainings if you would man up and do what I ordered you to."

Mina dipped her head, unrivalled with her father's intimidating stare.

"I only want the best for you, Mina. And that is to be a Myoui worthy of power and recognition." He stood up, rounding the table to approach his crestfallen daughter. "Imagine the power you would hold, having the clan under your control, the whole family… You can rule everyone – no, you can rule the world!"

He pulled her chin upwards, and Mina can see a glint of encouragement from his dull but sharp eyes. 

"Maybe, you can protect Momo too." He smiled, a bit forced. But it did its wonder, seeing how Mina’s eyes shone with determination at the mention of the clan’s future assassin.

"Be a worthy Myoui, my dear. Show them what our family – what my sole daughter can do."

Mina took his words to heart, and began accepting her father's advice to become a worthy Myoui. Because she wants to be the one to protect Momo, and nothing else.

 

~

 

Mina was enrolled in a special academy for 5 years, the only time she’s allowed to go back home was during summer vacation. The whole time she suppressed her emotions going through the torturous courses, she compensate it with seeing the young ninja. They mostly spend time doing nothing or just catching up, at times sparing together to test the other’s skills or engaged in their own rendition and upgraded version of violent hide and seek. 

However, that one fateful summer day Mina returned home, she can’t find the presence of her friend. She asked everyone, all of them evading her question with lame excuses or plain ignored her. She resorted to another person that had gained her trust after meeting for the first time last summer.

“Sana, have you seen Momo?”

The maid in training merely shook her head, but Mina can see the wavering in her eyes. 

“You’re lying.”

The girl bit her lower lip in trepidation, knowing Mina had seen through her lies. 

“Well, I shouldn’t tell you this but,” She hesitated, but the fierce look Mina gave her made the latter concede. “Myoui-dono locks her in the basement.”

Mina almost loses her calm, if not for Sana offering to help her rescue Momo. Using her lock-picking skill she had just mastered, Mina successfully broke through the bolted door. Her chest tightens at the sight of her broken friend; all weak and badly dehydrated. Her face sunken and pale, lips cracked and dry, but she also found traces of dried blood and bruises covering her cheeks and forehead. She wouldn’t dare see the damage hiding under Momo’s clothes. Mina almost cried from the sight, but stopped herself when Momo gave her a weak smile.

“H-hey… you’re here.”

Mina wrapped the girl in a tight hug, careful not to crush her already fragile state. She yelled for Sana to help her get Momo out of the basement and into her room, ignoring the perturbed look she received from her father’s men. She tried her best to tend to Momo’s wound, but it wasn’t enough to get the girl back on her feet.

Sana brought some food for the recuperating girl, but a hand prevented her from entering the room. Mina heard the commotion happening outside, bracing herself for the appearance of the most feared person in this household; her wretched father.

“What are you doing?” She heard his deep voice looming from her back.

Mina grits her teeth with so much remorse, she almost snapped at him, if not for the light squeeze of Momo’s hand on hers. She turns around, eyes glaring back at the stoic man who bears all the hatred building up from all those years of mistreatment she had to endure. 

“Why did you do this?!” She lashed out.

The man glowers over her, calmly facing the young woman who held so much fury in her. “She failed to finish her assignment.”

“Is this kind of treatment appropriate?”

“It’s the only way for her to learn from her mistakes,” He cast a glance to the sleeping girl on the bed, “If ever she dares to repeat the same blunder again... so, yes.”

Mina scoffed, her jaw clenching from his indifferent responses. “How can you be so cruel to Momo-rin?”

His expression distorted from the endearing name her daughter had given to the assassin assigned to protect the family. “If I was, I wouldn’t have saved the little girl dying on the cold street that night.” His gaze hardened, conveying the truth behind the girl he had rescued. “She’s nothing more than a servant who owes her life to us. She deserves this kind of treatment, Mina.”

“You’re despicable!”

The man raised his hand to slap some sense into his daughter, but Mina didn’t flinch; her gaze didn’t even waver as she stood her ground, challenging him back. His hand paused midair, his distant eyes glinting in amusement, a smirk slowly growing.

His daughter, for the first time, is bravely confronting him.

Mina watches his action with wary, terrified, as his hand retracts back, a proud grin etched on his face. He turns away without a word, only the subtle diminishing sound of laughter can be heard from the hallway.

A hand on her shoulder startled Mina from her stupor as she whipped her head to a pair of soft, gentle brown eyes.

“Are you okay, ojou-sama?”

The girl let out the breath she’s been holding, a hand on her chest to calm the wild thumping of her heart. Her father might mistook her rebellion as courage, but it wasn’t so. She was really scared, her hands were trembling so much, it wasn’t out of vexation, but rather from fear. 

Mina hates it, hates how weak she is right now that she can’t protect Momo from her father’s wrath. She made a promise to herself that she will do her best, she will be the best in the academy and return as a new person. Stronger, bolder than the person she currently is. 

But for now, she needs someone’s help to look after Momo for her absence once the holiday ends. Someone who understands the motive underlying Mina’s defiance, because she’s the same too; trapped under the pretense of loyalty to the clan.

“Sana, can you do me a favour?”

 

*

 

Instead of sleeping on her bed, Mina is sitting on the black chair behind the large maple table with white marble top. Her eyes roam the shelves of books consisting mostly of theories, strategies, and war history; a great decoration for a freak with a thirst for power. The medallions, trophies and emblems gracing the wall of fame added a sentiment to the extensive effort of expanding the clan’s empire over the years; Mina wonders if all of them are genuine, or merely tokens for their covered up graft. They never piqued her interest though, no doubt. 

 

Everything once belonged to her father; only a matter of time will soon be hers. She was expecting some kind of zeal, from knowing she’s next in line, but there’s none. She feels empty, muddled, uninterested even. Because these were not the things she desired; she’s never a materialistic girl growing up. All she yearns for was one thing; and it was thrown away into a faraway land, away from her heart that only knows of despair, and nothing else.

 

The door was knocked twice. 

 

She takes a deep breath with closed eyes, taking in the smell of lacquered wood and leather skin of the old furniture that didn't help in easing her mind.

 

She never was in this room.

 

"Enter."

 

Her favourite female bodyguard appeared behind the door, giving a bow with her usual straight face.

 

"They've found him, Myoui-sama."

 

The corner of her lips slightly dipped at the information. Behind the curtains, she can see the first lone ray of the morning sun slowly unveiling the empty dark sky, revealing hues of golden wonders to announce its presence to the world.

 

Perhaps, she will be his first visitor of the day too, and maybe the last.

 

“Let’s wake our friend from his short sleep, shall we?”

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

The security was disappointing.

 

Mina was slightly let down her personal bodyguard didn’t have to put up with too much fight breaking into the mansion of the well-known politician. Who was he again, the supreme judge? Not that Mina cares, because she only knows him for one thing; the one thing that made her divided between being grateful or plain upset.

 

The man who killed her father.

 

She looms over him in the dark room, his loud snoring makes him oblivious of the fate he’s about to face.

 

“Chou.”

 

Tzuyu presents her master a coil of silver-plated wire, before quietly making her way to the king-sized bed. Mina threads the end around her fists before pulling the wire in a tight stretch, the shining surface reflecting with every step she takes towards the sleeping man.

 

Mina gives a nod, a hard slap reverberates loudly inside the room.

 

“Huh? W-What… Ugh, what the hell…” He mumbled while rubbing his sore cheek, still half-asleep.

 

He rubs his eyes trying to take in the dark surrounding, only to have his eyes widen at the sight of the shining wire before his eyes.

 

“HURKK!”

 

Mina wounds the silver wire around his neck, putting enough force to cut his airway. The man struggled, his hand reaching for the bedside table to take out a gun he keeps inside. However, before he can reach it, Tzuyu slams her foot on the drawer, successfully crushing his fingers as he yowled in pain.

 

“W-Who… What do you–”

 

“Myoui.” She hissed, deliberately loosening the knot winding around his neck. “Does that ring a bell?”

 

“Y-You… his daughter?”

 

“Correct.”

 

She tightens the coil again, putting more strength as the man struggles to breathe.

 

“P-please…Spare me…”

 

“You know, I really despised my father that the only thing I want for him is death.” She whispered into his ears, “But you took him away from me, before I can end him with my own hands.”

 

“You took away my only salvation.” Mina seethed, “I shall take yours as compensation.”

 

With one last forceful tug, his air supply was cut off within seconds, instantly ending his life as the body went limp. Mina pushed the lifeless corpse off of her, passing the wire back to her bodyguard.

 

She should be satisfied, pleased, that she’s finally able to avenge her father’s death. Or rather, for her own selfish redemption of being drown in guilt for causing the death of the late Myoui, for not killing him sooner when she had the chance. Instead, here she is, still wallowing on her past because her present and future had already laid bare for her to see, to be acknowledged that she’s nothing more than a puppet of her father, even in his death.

 

“Should I arrange for clean up, Myoui-sama?”

 

“No need.” She glanced at the corpse one last time, before striding towards the door. “Let them see what it means to mess with the Myoui.”

 

~

 

As soon as she entered her room, Mina feels a presence in the corner. She slips her hand inside the pocket of her blazer, stealthily throwing a sharp needle to the intruder, only for the latter to catch it with her bare fingers.

 

“You could do better than that.”

 

Mina snorts at the recognizable nasal voice of the ninja. “I would, if it wasn’t you hiding in the corner.”

 

She gently plops down on the soft bed, taking off her pair of heels before sighing at the absence of those excruciating pair of attire.

 

“Are we supposed to play hide and seek today?”

 

Mina lightheartedly comments with a smile, expecting the ninja to respond with her usual witty comeback, but there was only silence. She turns to the dark corner, noticing the crestfallen face of her dearest guardian from the faint flicker of light coming from the curtains covering the closed windowpane.

 

“Mi-tan…” A pause; she could hear the small breath being released. “Why did you do it?”

 

Mina’s breath hitched. It’s been a while since she heard that name came from her, the only person privileged to.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

Another sighed, followed by inaudible footsteps getting closer. “Why did you kill him?”

 

“He deserved it.”

 

“That’s not what –”

 

“He killed my father, Momo!” She rebuked, fists tightly clenched. “I promised I would avenge his death.”

 

“Is that really the reason?”

 

Her voice is near, but Mina doesn’t dare to raise her head. She doesn’t dare to look up into those eyes that bear disappointment and sympathy for her. Instead, she scoffed with a small laugh, keeping her focus on the floor.

 

“What are you saying?”

 

But the woman didn't relent, only emphasizing on her previous ignored question. “Is that it, Mi-tan?”

 

A pair of black shoes appeared in her view, before a hand lands on her head.

 

“You promised me you would stop, Mi-tan.” She felt fingers threading through her hair; so gentle and soft, it didn’t bode well with the nature of Momo’s profession. “We’ve agreed to let me do it for you.”

 

“I’m not weak, Momo.” She leans forward, her forehead resting on Momo's abdomen as the latter cradles her head gently.

 

“No, I know you’re not. But you know fairly well why.” Mina squeezed her eyes shut, dreading the words about to come out of the ninja's mouth. “You’re slowly losing it, Mi-tan.”

 

That’s it.

 

A button had been pressed, pushing Mina’s limit to resist the dam of emotions about to burst from her wall of insecurities.

 

“Get out.” Mina harshly slapped the hand her head as she stand up, glaring back at the stunned woman clad in black.

 

“Mi-tan, listen to me–”

 

“Stop! You don’t have the right to call me that!”

 

Her shout made Momo winced as she takes a step back from the fuming woman. She had never raised a voice to Momo but something inside her snapped. She can’t turn back, can’t hold herself back; she didn’t know which demon possessed her this time.

 

“Stop crossing the boundary, assassin.”

 

Mina didn’t want to say it, but it slipped out of in a spur of the moment. She hates it; hates herself for hurting Momo, and for hurting her already defiled heart. But what she hates the most right now, is the dejected face of the most cherished person in her life as she vocalized those words always ringing in her head.

 

“You’re only a servant to me, and nothing else.”

 

 

*

 

 

The 25 years old Mina paced back and forth outside the door of her father’s bedroom, waiting anxiously for their personal physician to come out and bring her the news. She didn’t care if he’s badly injured, paralysed or comatose; she needs him to be alive. There are still so many things she need to achieve, and one of her life goal includes him.

 

She didn’t understand why Momo had to leave her side and had to be called inside, but the lack of the ninja’s presence just adds up the distress she’s feeling. She noticed the curious stare of her father’s men standing guard along the hallway, having exposed to this rare side of her for the first time.

 

Mina had gained reputation for the past five years as a worthy successor in line to receive the Myoui’s throne. Despite her young age, she’s feared by all, allies and enemies alike; her aptitude and knack of completing her job immaculately is considered a phenomenon in the yakuza world. They spoke of her name, not as just a Myoui, but a hitwoman capable of finalising their long overdue unsettled bounties, conquering turf and territories to be under her watch, involved in clan war and defeating every leader dare to go against her, or becoming the middleman for their illegal transactions.

 

The Myoui Mina can do it, will do it, as long as it brings benefit to her clan. 

 

However, she did everything under the pretense of orders given by her father. Her life belongs to no one, but that rotten man. As long as he lives, Mina will forever suffer a hellish life of being tied to the clan. But she had a plan, not properly devised, but is still a plan.

 

She might be a puppet in her father’s eyes, but she is also a puppet with a mind of her own.

 

Unfortunately, hearing the news of her father being kidnapped and badly battered up by a group of anonymous hit men was never in her plan. It was too soon; she still needs more time to devise a solid and proper plan to take the life of the vile man.

 

“Mi-tan?”

 

She snapped her head to the voice, the devastating images floating in her mind immediately shatters at the sight of her beloved person. She received a hug so warm and secure; it made her chest flutters in a pleasant way.

 

Only for the bliss to dissipate into thin air as she heard the regretting words being muttered.

 

“I’m sorry, Mi-tan.”

 

That was it.

 

Her heart dropped, her lungs constricted, her ears ringing a deafening buzz, her vision blinded by a bright white light, before everything out.

 

The only thing she remembered before losing consciousness was the face of her father; smirking back at her in his mocking triumph.

 

~

 

Mina wasn’t the same after his death.

 

She occupied herself with all the missions and bounties being offered, thinking it’s the only way she can redeem herself for his father’s death, when all she really did was tracking down the killer by forcing out information from the enemy’s lackeys or paying informants to do the dirty jobs. That’s when she found out the sickening truth behind her clan’s deceitful deeds that makes them the top among others. She despised her family, but she realized she's a part of the Myoui too. A killer machine shaped into perfection; exactly what her father wanted.

 

“Why are you still here?”

 

She questioned Momo currently casting bait on her fishing rod. The ninja decided it’s a good weather for a day out at the lake behind the house and she had dragged the unwilling Mina to tag along, just because she craves some company from the busy woman when the truth was they were already stuck side by side each time Mina leaves for a mission with the assassin trailing from the shadows.

 

“Huh?” She cast Mina a glance, an eyebrow raised. “What do you mean?”

 

“My father is already dead, Momo-rin.”

 

She throws a pebble into the water with disinterest, her chin resting on bent knees. It was a known tradition from her ancestors that whenever a master had passed away, the servant is free to their own demise; either to abide on their loyalty or become a betrayer on the run. Despite having been pointed out countless of times that she is to be Mina’s protector, Momo had never sworn her allegiance to Mina in front of the clan members in a formal ceremony.

 

She’s free to go, leave this horrid place for good...

 

Mina hears her loud hum, followed by a raised of her shoulders. “I wanted to.”

 

“Why?”

 

She picks another pebble off the ground, unaware of the woman slowly lowering her upper body towards her with a wide smile etched.

 

“Because I love you.”

 

Mina snapped her head upwards, only to feel a chaste kiss on her lips. She savoured the kiss with closed eyes, indulging on the softness and sparks emitted from the contact. Momo pulls away while her lips; the sight made Mina squirms in delight.

 

“Is that enough reason for you?”

 

Mina buried her face in her arms, hiding her heating face from the unexpected kiss while Momo grins as she goes in for another kiss. She pulls Mina’s face upwards, the kiss deepening as both of them clutch on each other, feeling one another in that one heated kiss, clinging on the erratic emotion of their deep desire to be loved, to be in love.

 

“I want to be with you, Mi-tan.”

 

“You won’t leave me?”

 

Momo shakes her head, eyes shining with determination and a glint of sincerity as she lands a peck on Mina’s forehead, as if sealing her promise to the woman who had unconsciously owns her heart.

 

“Never.”

 

 

 


A/N:

If it's not up to your expectation, please DM me personally and we will have a fight with Mina Ojou-sama as my representative. *whooping Mina's name while hiding cowardly in the corner*

Thank you for reading and take care!