Chapter 2 : The Group

You, From My Past Life

 

- Seokmin POV -

I stared at the pretty petite girl in front of me and furrowed my brows, making her face turn to one of concern. She had rare powers? Rarer than mine?

“Rare powers too? What is it?”

“Oh...” she seemed to hesitate. “Umm I think our shift is almost over? We should finish up and go!” she began to walk off as she said that, making me scurry after her. Mingyu saw us coming out from around the dark corner and waggled his eyebrows suggestively. I groaned inwardly and shook my head, flipping my friend off as I followed Mia. She quickly showed me the rest of the library and then the clock struck 2pm, signalling the end of the shift. We all headed back to the staff room, where I gave Mingyu a punch on the arm for earlier. He playfully whined to Wonwoo, who just shook his head, already knowing what his best friend did without even needing to ask out loud.

I knew Mia could sense everyone’s powers but she didn’t say anything, just grabbed her bag and her friend’s arm. She gave us all a wave before they both skipped outside and walked away. Jeonghan walked over to our group as we exited the library.

“Josh, who was the cute one you were paired up with?” he asked.

“Yooa? She was super nice. Likes to hum as she works too,” Joshua said, smiling fondly. 

“Mia isn’t ordinary,” Wonwoo said. Seungkwan’s eyes widened.

“She has powers too?” he asked loudly, making people walking by us give a weird look. Jeonghan shook his head and sighed.

“Since you’re still young, you can’t sense powers as strongly as we can but yes, she does have powers,” he said, throwing an arm over Joshua.

“Did she tell you what her powers were?” Mingyu asked.

“No, she changed the topic quickly and I didn’t wanna pry,” I shook my head. I turned to Wonwoo. “Were you able to read her mind when you shook her hand?”

“She had a block up,” he said. “It was weak but strong at the same time though? Even though it was weak, I couldn’t break it.”

“That’s interesting,” Seungkwan mused. “What could they be that she didn’t wanna tell you?”

 

- Mia POV -

“They all had powers!” I scream whispered to Yooa, whose big eyes went even bigger as we walked to the cafe I worked at.

“You’re joking right?” she asked, keeping her voice low.

“All six of them. How is that possible? I could sense they all had it as soon as they walked through the door. The one I was paired up with can heal. I wonder what else they’ve got in their little group.”

We walked into the cafe to find ourselves face to face with seven new part timers. The manager was organising them at different areas of the cafe to train but stopped when he saw me come in. Yooa snickered, muttering a quick “you’re on your own today” before taking her leave. I sighed and grabbed my apron, throwing it on and walking over to my manager.

“Mia! Perfect timing! Meet our newbies,” he waved a hand over to the group, who all waved nervously. I immediately sensed their powers too and slightly narrowed my eyes. The entire group’s eyes widened when I got closer, their nervousness increasing. They quickly introduced themselves and we got to work quietly. I was showing two of them how to clean certain machines, hoping they wouldn’t ask me about my powers. They stayed quiet, doing their respective tasks and I did the same. The shift went by uneventfully and as we were finishing up the short shift and letting the dinner team take over, I spotted a familiar face outside when I hung up my apron.

“Seokmin?” I asked, tapping the taller male on the shoulder. He turned around and smiled.

“Mia? What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I could ask the same of you. I work here too,” I laughed.

“Oh!” he exclaimed. “My friends just started here too, that’s the rest of my crew.”

I saw the rest of the library staff from his group walk over, surprise and confusion laced on their handsome faces as they spotted me. I explained that I worked two jobs and asked how they knew each other.

“Our families are all close so when we were all born, we were pretty much raised together as brothers,” the one called Seungcheol said, looking fondly at his family. I watched them all interact, seeing their strong bond made me feel warm too. I saw my family car pull up at the sidewalk and my butler stepped out of the driver’s seat, walking over to the back door and stood against it, waiting patiently for me to finish talking with the boys. 

I chatted with each of them a bit more and learned that Seungcheol was their oldest, Chan was the youngest, hence the oldest’s tendency to head count the large group, or the youngest’s constant whining about his older brothers babying him. 

Seokmin stopped me from leaving after I finished chatting with Chan and looked at the rest of the group nervously, who gave him a nod, before asking me one last question.

“What are your powers?”