SETTLING IN. I AM TO LEARN WHAT?

PROUD TO BE

With that, I enthusiasticly make my way to the departure gate without turning back. Korea, here I come.


 

While strolling around for food after hauling all my luggages, a hand casually hug around my neck. A very thin yet sturdy arm.

" Hey shorty". I turn around to hug my cousin who last I see looks like a  nerd but now looks like a haggard old man eventhough he is still in his thirties.

 

"Oppa, why you look so old?" He makes face while taking my trolley from me.

" I have to make sure my students are well-prepared for the univerisity test coming soon" I nodded. Sungmin oppa co- owns a private tuition centre in Korea.  He pulls me towards a big van.

" Why do you bring this montrous thing?"

"Because I am afraid that you will bring lots of luggages. from what I can see, yes you sure pack heavily sister" I only stick my tongue out at him. He laugh out loud and starts to pile my luggages into the back of the van.

" We will go see halmae and harabeoji first. After dinner, you wll go back to my apartment"

"eh? Appa said I can stay in my own apartment" He shakes his head while taking his seat besides me in the van. His driver already starting to pull out from the parking.

 

"No, stay with me until you enroll in university. I also already enroll you into my korean class because your Korean . 

 

How are you going to survive in university later on?" His face is expresionless but his tones show otherwise. I punch him jokingly and agree. Why making a fuss when the money for the apartment can be used for different things. Plus I have someone I can order around for couple of months before university starts.

 

"Aigoo, dear Hyeri. Look how big you've become" Halmae hugging me and tugging my hand into the house. Both my grandparents were waiting outside when we arrived. 

"Halmae, you need to do some eye checkup if you say she is big. She is so tiny like a middle school" Sangmin oppa makes fun of me and suddenly harabeoji walking stick land on his head and everyone burst into laughter. 

 

This is the athmosphere that I feel comfortable with. Where you can laugh, eat and making jokes at your own family member. I wish appa can retain my absence from mother long enough. 

 

____________________________________________________________

 

"Hyeri, your Korean class will start next week" Sangmin oppa hands me a time table and few books. He enrolls me in a basic Korean class.

 

"But basic? I can speak korean, oppa" I said sound dejected.

"Just for preparation. After test, you can move on to other level. " He pushed my feet away from the sofa and began changing the movie I've been watching. There is a map with 

different coloured roots. It makes me wonder why it was like that. I know his tuition centre. He showed me around already the day we change my phone number. I shoved the map in front of him.

 

"Aaaaah this?. Dis you notice our apartment surrounding is super secured yet there are few people lingers around outside the gate? Same as outside of my tution centre?" When he mentioned it like that, I suddenly remembered few girls like to hang out outside of our apartment gate and same as Sangmin oppa tuition centre. Some of them are holding a very big camera. 

 

"Who are they? Are they stalking you? Are you famous, somehow?" Sangmin oppa almost spit out his Coke when I utter those questions.

"If I say I am famous. Would you believe it?"

"Hell no. How come you are super famous when the only time you see a sun is on your way to the car. You so pale like a vampire. hahahahahaha." oppa making a disbelief's face

"Hello pot, This is kettle" pointing his finger at me. Yes, we are pale and my mother always get angry at me for not putting any makeup of lipstick at home or going out because without makeup, I look even paler like a sick person.

 

"Our apartment complex is famous with idol dormitories and my tuition centre kind of providing private lesson to those idols"

"Idol? Like singer? Like the only reason my mother is not talking to me for a year?" He nodded. 

"That fight story is never old. I never know that you could punch someone" Sangmin oppa smirks

"I did not. How many times I already told you that I was wrongly accused and because of that, mother forbids me from coming t korea at all?" I reply hotly.

"I know, I know. Just kidding little sister. I don't have little sister, so, this is only experience i had in making you annoyed" I sigh. What a fate having older brothers.

"But why are the routes coloured and there a more than one route?" Now it is his turn to sigh.

"This idols, they may sound super privilaged love by their fans so much. But among the fans that they love,there are few fas that borderline creepy and tend to stalk these idols."

"Why it has anyhing to do with me?"

"Because you live in the same apartment complex, go to the same tuition centre and also a girl. This will raise suspicion and make you a target for this sasaeng fans"

"I have no general idea who are they and no intend to do so. I think that much will save from this crazed-fan" Sangmin oppa shakes his head.

"saseng fans are those people who somehow can't see the truth and clearly obsessed with their idols. These routes are alternative routes for you to choose if somehow there are too many of them. " He pats my head with pained look. 

"I dont want you to get hurt, Hyeri" his tone is soft. I nod my head. 

"Don't worry opps. I will stay away from this people. Afterall I need to be the best student in the academy to make you proud and then I can enjoy my campus life" I smile at him cheerfully. he nods and hand me back the maps.