The ride is bumpy, but we'll run it smooth

A-Team
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi knew that her age was catching up to her when she pulled a hamstring while trying to kick the ball during practice. But at the same time, Irene was still flying around the field and the playmaker was a year older than the forward, so it irked Seulgi a bit to be deteriorating already. If that was what you could call it. Or more accurately, it was irksome that Yuri kept wiggling her eyebrows at Seulgi whenever the latter grumbled about not having enough breaks.

“Ya know, you’re never too young to retire and be a coach.” Yuri sat next to Seulgi on the bench and stared out at the players on the field. Seulgi huffed and lightly shoved the older woman, prompting her to laugh boisterously. “Hey, you can give me that face all you want, but let me tell you that thirty is a great time to settle down, especially when you're a top five ranking player in the world for woman’s soccer and make millions from advertisements alone.” The assistant coach hummed as her eyes landed on a one particular blur streaking across the opposition’s half of the field with a vicious dribbling technique that was a tad too aggressive to appear in a warm up game with teammates. “And your girlfriend looks like she’ll last a while, so you won’t have to worry about running out of funding.”

“I’m not gonna tell her to pay for everything.”

“Ah, so you finally do admit to living together.”

Seulgi scowled. “No offense, coach, but kindly off.”

Yuri laughed. “See, you’re already embodying Hyoyeon’s spirit. You wouldn’t say that if you were just a player.”

“I may have pulled my hamstring, but that doesn’t mean I can’t use my fists,” Seulgi stated threateningly. Coach be damned, she had been on the team for twelve years now, and Yuri was more of a sister than an assistant coach. Plus, she was easy to pick on thanks to Hyoyeon’s lead.

A whistle blew and Seulgi pouted at the tongue Yuri stuck out before jogging over to the groaning athletes. A few of Seulgi’s teammates, including some new additions, waved at the resting center forward as Irene made her way to the benches.

“I feel like I’ve experienced this scene six years ago.”

Seulgi crinkled her nose but smiled. “Yeah but back then, the US was kicking our in the Olympics and we fought.”

“We don’t talk about that in this family,” Irene said while sitting down next to Seulgi.

Seulgi lifted an eyebrow in surprise at the casual mention of her and Irene being a family despite them having been together for four years. She blinked a few times before leaning back playfully.

“Ew, you stink.”

Irene threw her arms around her girlfriend and rubbed her face in Seulgi’s neck. “I’m just hydrating you.”

“That’s not how sweat works!”

Nevertheless, she relaxed and allowed Irene to hold her as they watched their teammates fool around on the field. Seulgi shifted slightly, pulling Irene into her lap, and set her chin on her girlfriend’s shoulder before sighing.

“Wanna be on the field?”

Seulgi shook her head. “I mean, yes, but I was thinking about something else.

“I sure hope it isn’t about me,” Irene jested. “We haven’t met long enough for you to be tired of me yet.”

Seulgi poked her stomach. “Honey, I’ve been tired of you since you were the only recruit to clap back at me six years ago.”

“You act like Joy and Yeri haven’t tortured you every single day since we started dating.”

“Okay, but I didn’t think they’d find out about us so quickly!”

Irene laughed loudly before glancing over her shoulder at Seulgi. “It would be hard not to with the way you kept smiling at me a bit too widely.”

“Psh, says the one who got caught cornering me in the locker room for a makeout session.”

“I was sure the door was locked.” Irene shuddered at the memory. “I had no idea coach passed the key to Tzuyu to get her water bottle.”

“Poor girl was traumatized.” They nodded in sync. “She didn’t look me in the eye for nearly two months.”

Irene hummed and turned completely to face Seulgi. She let her eyes roam over the Seulgi’s face before leaning in for a quick peck.

“What was that for?”

Irene shrugged. “Just felt like it.”

“Well, something always comes after your ‘just felt like it.’”

“You overthink too much.”

“I don’t think at all.” Seulgi paused. “Outside of a match, I mean.”

Irene let out a bark of laughter. “You’re so different when you’re not on the field.”

“I’m not sure if you say that in a good way or bad way.”

“Oh definitely the latter.” Irene tucked Seulgi’s hair behind her ears. “You lose all your charisma and whatever instinctive reflexes you have.”

“Why am I still dating you?”

“Because we’re each other’s pacemakers in this rapidly spinning world.”

“Ugh.”

“Hey, you’re the one who told me all that.”

“I can’t believe I was so cheesy.”

Irene pinched her cheek. “But I like cheesy Seulgi.”

“I don’t. She makes me wanna vomit.”

Irene opened to retort when Hyoyeon screamed a loud “Bae, stop making out and get your back on the field!” to the AM. Seulgi chuckled and stood Irene on her feet, patting her despite the cute sounds of protest that left Irene's mouth. She watched with adoration as Irene jogged back to the field where their teammates made exaggerated gagging motions, prompting the now-embarrassed team captain to slap their arms.

§

Seulgi wasn’t unused to fancy dinner dates with Irene, but there was a feeling deep down in the pit of her stomach that told her that Irene’s ‘just felt like it’ from earlier had something to do with the nervous smile Irene was giving her from across the table. The perceptive girl raised a cautious brow and slowly cut her steak as Irene finished off her wine in one go. Interesting.

“You okay? You seem a bit nervous.”

Irene cleared , shaking her head rapidly. “No, not at all. The steak’s especially good today, no?”

“Irene.” Seulgi’s voice was stern but gentle. “What are you thinking?”

Irene pressed her lips together but didn’t answer. Seulgi frowned and placed her utensils down to reach for Irene’s hands.

“Really, are you okay? If you’re not feeling well, we should head out.”

“No, I’m just full.” Irene smiled. “Should we order dessert? Maybe we can head home early and watch a movie.”

Seulgi squinted slightly but let it slide. “Okay. What are you gonna order?”

“Hmm, maybe pudding? I’d like something light.”

“Alright, then I’ll get the pudding too.”

“Um...why don’t you get the red velvet cake?”

Seulgi blinked. “Is there a particular reason you don’t want me to get the pudding?”

Irene laughed awkwardly. “Of course not! I just...wanted to share.”

“Then why don’t you get the cake and I’ll get the pudding?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter