Meet the Team

A-Team
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I don't know if this will be a one-shot or multishot, but I did a truckload of research for this, so I might as well present my findings. Please excuse any inaccuracies if you are a well-educated soccer fan; I'm only a casual observer of the World Cup, and these descriptions are purely based on general stats and ideal players for the respective roles. Without further ado, I present the fictional team of this story, which I spent hours putting together based on the best physical qualities and skills for each position:

 

Squad positions:

1: Goalkeeper [GK, defense] → Kim Doyeon (173 cm)

The goalkeeper must have exceptional leadership skills, because they have the widest view of the field and are the ones giving instructions to the team. While they do not necessarily need to have great technique, goalkeepers must maintain great reflexes and execute long passes. Generally the tallest and heaviest player.

2: Right fullback/right wingback [RB/RWB, defense] → Choi Yuna, a.k.a. Yuju (173 cm)

3: Left fullback/left wingback [LB/LWB, defense] → Bae Yoobin, a.k.a. Binnie (161 cm)

Fullbacks and wingbacks are defense players who must be fast and have great stamina. They have the qualities of defenders and attackers; fullbacks differ from wingbacks, however, in that despite both positions playing wide on the sides of the field, fullbacks often assist with defense in the center, and wingbacks tend to take on more offensive positions as they run up and down the length of the field.

4: Center back [CB, defense] → Chou Tzuyu (172 cm)

5: Center back [CB, defense] → Kim Sojung, a.k.a. Sowon (173 cm)

Center backs are another position, much like the GK, where the players must be tall, heavy, and even imposing. While CB players are not always the fastest due to their tall height, they must be well-acquainted with defense techniques, such as slide tackles, and be able to handle aerial shots, as they defend the center of the field. They do not need to have great technique, as they rely on precise passes. Center backs start the plays and act as the link between defense and midfield.

6: Defending/holding midfielder [DM, midfield] → Kim Yerim, a.k.a. Yeri (160 cm)

Defending midfielders come in a variety of shapes and sizes to accommodate for different styles of play, but their main role is to stand at the front line of defense and try to keep the ball on the opponent’s side of the field, out of their own team’s defensive zone. They are known for having elegant technique with the ball and require great stamina and speed, because they cover a wide area of the field. Depending on the body type of the player and the formation of the game, they may be more aggressive or passive.

7: Right midfielder/right wingers [RM/RW, midfield] → Son Chaeyoung (159 cm)

Outside midfielders and wingers generally use one-on-one tactics to keep the opponent’s defense to the sides of the field so that their team’s offense can more easily pass through. They are fast, often on the shorter side, and have great stamina, as they are often running in the sidelines. These players must be great dribblers, have the ability to transition to defense when needed, and be good at crosses for assists. Wingers differ from outside midfielders in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter