Chapter 4: The Autopsy

Namjoon and Jin vs the Constellation Killer : A Crime fanfiction

By the time they got back to the station, the list of missing females was ready on Jin’s desk. He picked it up as they headed straight to the lab. Doctor Kim, their pathologist was waiting for them. Jin said “Doctor, what you can tell us about the body?” “Meet your Jane Doe, a 16-year-old female who was killed twice”. Namjoon cocked his head to one side and said, “What do you mean killed twice?” “Let me report my findings first” Detective Doctor Kim said bemusedly.  “From the liver mortis, I was able to determine that this poor girl died exactly two months ago from drowning and poison and blunt force trauma. The occipital bone and hyoid bone were completely crushed, and her lung was pierced at the ribcage. There was no evidence of ual assault. I have tested her blood and had some interesting findings. Through an ABG, I found her blood oxygen to be extremely high and traces of rocuronium bromide. Rocuronium bromide is generally used as an anesthesia. Namjoon interrupted” But if she drowned, why were her oxygen levels high instead of low?” Doctor Kim glared and continued “Jane here actually survived being drowned with a broken hyoid bone and immobile because she was treated afterwards. High oxygen levels are not possible in the average person unless supplementary oxygen was provided which combats hypoxia, one of the symptoms of asphyxiation. However, we also found atropine in her blood. As you are aware, the only source of atropine is belladonna, a plant that goes by a more common name”. Namjoon’s and Jin’s eyes widen and Jin said quietly “It’s other name is Nightshade. She was poisoned to death”. Doctor nodded and said “After the poison entered her bloodstream, the criminal shattered her skull and then transported her body to the secondary site where it was dumped in the water. From her stomach contents, it is possible to assume she was a prisoner as only bread was found. I did find trace amounts of a certain particle in her nasal cavity”. He picked up a small petri dish and said “This substance is aluminum oxide, a byproduct from welding aluminum. It is more commonly found at shipyards and is said to be poisonous”. “Doctor”, Jin said “But none of the other victims had this dust on them”. “Actually, they did” Doctor Kim said. Both Namjoon and Jin looked completely surprised. “After identifying the particle, I double checked the evidence from the other victims and found a match from both victims. The person who did the first two autopsies did not include the particle in their reports. I shouldn’t have trusted an outsider to do my job while I was on vacation” he said with a sigh. Namjoon and Jin share a glance. Jin said “Can you tell us more about the pathologist who took over while you were gone? Doctor Kim nodded and said “I first meet him a month ago at another symposium. He was a pathology professor at a university and expressed interest in my work. There was nothing remarkable about him except for a scar on his face. He told me he got it from being in a car accident as a child. We got together for coffee a few times after and when I told him I was thinking of going on vacation, he offered to cover for me. I thought nothing of it as he was an advisor for another police station and told the chief he would cover for me while I was gone. I should have known better”. Doctor Kim signed and changed out of the black scrubs. “Do you remember his name by any chance” Jin asked? “Yeah, it was… Let me check my phone”. Doctor Kim pulled out his phone and looked at his contacts. “His name was Professor Seo Kwang from Daegu University”. Namjoon nodded and said, “We’ll look into it.” “Good luck,” Doctor Kim said and went into another room to do another autopsy. When they got back to their desks, Jin scanned through the list while Namjoon called the university. “Is there a professor by the name of Professor Seo Kwang in your pathology department? “No sir, the secretary on the other line said” We only have a Professor Henry Soh. Would you like to talk to him?” “No, thank you” Namjoon replied and hung up. He looked at Jin and said, “There isn’t a professor by that name at the university which means we are delivering with a ghost”. Jin scowled and said “I found four missing girls that match our victim’s profile who both went missing four months. Ara Soo, a gifted 18-year-old ballet dancer, Eui Dasom, a 16-year-old student from Geum High School, Bong Cha, a 17-year-old student from Hue High School and Goo Park, 15-year-old student from Boko High School”. They divided up the task and started calling the girls’ guardians.