Chapter 6

I don't hate you too
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: there's only 18 people who participated on the poll, and yet almost a hundred views on my update that wasn't an update??! yeah.. I'm sulking.. sorta 😒 so obviously, Option #4 won the poll (icydk 😒). I was supposed to post this tonight but the longer I proofread, the longer it keeps getting. as promised, there's development on Kkubi's relationship in this chapter. oh, and lemme know your guesses from how the chapter ends. 🤭 thanks for your interest in my story! ❤ (tho not with the poll 😒)

p.s: if my fonts ever changed, it's because whenever I update, I keep forgetting which one I decided on from the start 😅

As the days continue to pass by without Chaeyeon’s presence, Eunbi and Sakura also find themselves spending time with each other. Yet all this hidden in the guise of spending more time working beyond their shifts. To their friends, it looked appropriate how they were using work as a distraction. But somehow both Eunbi and Sakura know there is a newfound understanding between them; a feeling that only they both experience–the absence and longing for the one person they both like–inevitably making them stick together and sympathize with each other. At least, that's how they see them, for now. Nevertheless, so many of the walls they have set up between them before have each been taken down slowly, but surely.

 

Eunbi walks over to Sakura’s desk and sees a laid-out notebook. Unaware that it was Sakura’s journal, she mutters the only two lines written on the current page.

 

“Misery does love company.

Even rivals can be friends when neither wins the same competition.”

 

“Chaeyeon was spot on. You are quite the poet.”

 

Sakura is startled and covers the journal with her hands. Sulking she says, “You started it, unnie.”

 

“Wha- what does that have to do with me now??”

 

“Aren’t you sending her notes too?”

 

“No, I’m not!”

 

“Really now?”

 

“Neverrr!” Eunbi finally exclaims while she stands with both hands on her hips. "You made sure I couldn't. I already lost the fight, so I threw in the towel before I could even enter the ring. Chaeyeon and I unanimously gave you the title, Sha-Kkura-speare, and you're undefeated."

 

“O-kay..?” Sakura mumbles in confusion. Then her eyes widened. Suddenly she's holding on to Eunbi for dear life. "Wa- wait! Chaeyeon already knows?!"

 

"Oh!" Eunbi places a hand over Sakura's shoulder. "Calm down! Uhm... Come to think of it.. Uh.. I don't think- I'm not sure? Does she?" Her eyes shoot upwards as if that will help her remember.

 

"But aren't you sending Chaeyeon the notes to let her know how you feel?"

 

"You're not wrong but-"

 

"So why would it be such a bad thing if she already knew it was you?"

 

"Unnie, the magic is in the mystery."

 

"What now?" Eunbi snorted but she successfully stopped a chortle.

 

"You know.. ‘The Grand Reveal’? If I remain unknown until I tell her so–hopefully, in a not so predictable way, wouldn't it be more romantic?"

 

"Oh my, Kkura. What have you been reading or watching to conclude that that's the only way to be romantic? You know, I once asked her what she felt about the notes and do you want to know what she said?"

 

"Yes, unnie. Please tell me."

 

"Well, she said she's impressed and she appreciates your effort."

 

"That's a good sign, right?"

 

"Wrong! Kkura, literally everyone in ENOZI knows Chaeyeon appreciates everything. The girl is an angel herself! She could break down and cry at the smallest act of kindness."

 

"What should I do then?" Sakura’s big eyes are begging at Eunbi, almost looking exactly like Puss in Boots.

 

Omo, Eunbi is awestruck at Sakura’s cuteness. She suddenly takes the sticky notepad from Sakura’s desk and somehow tries to avert that aggressively cute gaze. "Some people just want it plain and simple. Even a note that straight up says…” After writing, she takes the note and sticks it onto Sakura's forehead–another poor attempt at avoiding that cute sight. But Sakura swiftly took it as soon as it was stuck on her.

 

“ ‘I like you. Can I take you out on a date?'? But that’s so blunt and artless.”

 

“Wrong again! Kkura, that’s called being bold and unpretentious! And that's romantic too. Also, I think Chaeyeon may actually be that type."

 

Sakura's face slightly contorts into a look that says she is unconvinced. "If she is, and like you said it's that plain and simple, then why didn't you do it?"

 

Eunbi purses her lips and she nods in silence. "Touché." She then slowly walks back to her own desk, and prepares to pack up and head out. There is a brief moment of silence while Sakura does the same.

 

"So anyways, are you heading straight home?"

 

"I guess." Sakura answers, but it sounded more like a question. Under normal circumstances, she would totally surrender to her introversion, and not let anyone–not even Chaeyeon, keep her from heading home. Though Chaeyeon knows her too well and would be too considerate to just let her be. However, lately, even being home alone doesn't seem to lift her spirits.

 

"I was thinking about dining out and using one of our gift coupons..." Perks of having a restaurateur for a CEO. But unlike Eunbi, that aspect of dining was something Sakura, the introverted homebody, actually doesn't enjoy much.

 

"..and having soft tofu stew for dinner. Maybe.. you uhm.. you want to come with?"

 

Sakura was stunned for a second. However, she suddenly turns back to her desk.

 

Oh.. of course, Eunbi thinks. "I'll get going then."

 

"Wait!"

 

"I thought-”


"I was searching for my coupons. Scratches her head. "Glad I haven't given them away yet." Sakura shows the coupons and waves them, grinning sheepishly.

 

 

At the restaurant…

 

"And what will you be having for your drinks?" The waiter asks.

 

(Eunbi and Sakura) "Pepsi Zero."

 

"That’s for both of you?"

 

(Eunbi and Sakura) "Yes."

 

"Okay. Please wait a few minutes for your orders to be served." The waiter then bows and leaves them.

 

Remembering the conversation they had back at the office made Eunbi curious now, and she can't help but ask, "Did Chaeyeon ever talk about me though?" Her voice somehow sounded smaller as she finished her query.

 

"She did. But I don't think you would really want to know."

 

"Why? I already said my piece earlier at the office, so why couldn't you?"

 

"Alright." Sakura straightens her back and places her clasped hands over the table. "Then, I'm going to give it to you plain and simple, unnie."

 

"Cool." Eunbi says, sounding like she's fully gained back her confidence.

 

"Well, unnie... Basically, she.. uhm..."

 

"Come on. Shoot!" The demand now is more evident from the tone of Eunbi's voice.

 

Sakura dramatically inhales and in one breath she says, "Chaeyeon looks up to you like an older sister."

 

Gasp! Eunbi places both hands over her chest as if she was actually shot, and heaves a few deep breaths. "Ouch."

 

Sakura nervously lets out a nervous laugh. "I'm.. sorry?" She tries to smile but her eyebrows are bunched together in worry.

 

"How did she.."

 

"First off, no offense. But I wasn't really paying that much attention because she was talking about you."

 

"None taken."

 

"But then she kept on, and pointed out how she finally has an older sister she can rely on– now that! That, I kept in mind."

 

"Oh." Eunbi pouts. And before the rest of her face falls into a frown, she realizes something and blurts out, "But hey! You're older than her too!"

 

"Yes, but Chaeyeon and I talk on casual terms. She doesn't even call me, unnie. To be quite honest, I don't want her to do it either. And because we're… best.."

 

(Eunbi and Sakura) "Friends."

 

After a brief moment of silence, they both sigh deeply.

 

"You know what... Let's forget about Chaeyeon for a moment.” Eunbi tries to look around, hoping to change the subject. Her eyes eventually honed in on the coupons placed in the middle of the table. “Uhm… So, I see you have barely used the coupons?"

 

"Ah, yes. Well, I used all the few ones valid for delivery. And since most can only be used for dining in, I usually would give them away to Yena, Yuri or Chaewon. That is most probably the reason why those three eat out a lot. I rarely eat out–in fact, I rarely go out. Besides, I don't have that many friends to eat out with.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter