EP7: The One Where No One Really Knows (1)

Itaewon Class Drama Fillers

“A fight is all about the first punch,” Saeroyi said.  “And you throw the first punch behind the back”  


Yiseo studied his features as he stared ahead of him, his face painted with grit, eyes b with tenacity. Between Jangga and Saeroyi exists an ill-connection she doesn’t know of. Feeling like she’s at the frontrow of an ongoing fight, she felt the frustration washing over her. She’s useless and she hated it. She hated not knowing. Like how she stood beside him when Chairman Jang paid their pub an unannounced visit that morning, she wanted to stand beside him through this fight he has against them.


She wanted him to win. But she wanted to be with him when he does. 


How could she? She doesn’t even know him. She knows nothing. His past, his struggles, his pain, she doesn’t know him at all. Her eyes roaming at his hardened face, she felt a strong need building from within her. A need to know more about this man standing beside her. His wounds, his scars, everything. She wanted to know him better. See him in a different light.


“Why are you looking at me like that?” 


She didn’t realize he’d already been looking at her until his voice pulled her out of her thoughts. Meeting his eyes, she didn’t answer. She remained staring at him. Watching his features crease in confusion, probably because of the way her eyes are fixated on him, she thought about how she wanted to know what goes on in his mind. What bothers him, what he’s thinking about, how he came to be the kind of person that he is now; she wanted to solve the puzzle that is his life. Uncover him as if he’s a mystery. 


“Hey,” he called. “Yiseo”


“Hmm?” 


“I just asked you a question” 


“What question?” she asked, feigning ignorance for she heard him loud and clear. She wanted to stare at him more. An excuse, she thought. She just wanted to continue looking straight into his eyes especially when he’s standing there looking abashed over hers. 


“Why are you looking at me like that?” 


“Like what.. exactly?” her tone intentionally nonchalant. Shifting her body to look at him squarely, she squinted her eyes a little at him. A smirk almost formed on her lips when she saw him lean his head back a bit as he blinked repeatedly. He exhaled as subtly as he can and Yiseo loved the look on his face. She was making him uncomfortable and there’s something in that fact she liked. 


Deciding it’s enough, Yiseo let out a chuckle just as when Saeroyi opened his mouth, beating him into breaking his confused state. “I’m just kidding. I heard you. I’m just thinking about... Well, not exactly—I guess I’m trying to figure you out.” 


“Figure me out?” 


“Yup” she answered, popping her lips. She turned away from him and leaned her arms on the balcony railing, locking her fingers as her eyes gaze far ahead of her. If you think about it we don’t know each other at all, she thought to herself. Opening to spill the words in her mind, she lowered her head and pursed her lips. Deciding against it, she turned her head sideways, meeting Saeroyi’s probing eyes. 


“So that’s how you fight? You prefer throwing the first punch?” she asked, stirring the conversation away before she could spill her thoughts, exerting a huge effort in making her tone light. “Right when your enemy isn’t aware of it, at their most complacent state, that very moment they’re not expecting you, that’s when you hit them.” 


Pursing his lips, Saeroyi momentarily paused as he thought about it. He doubted that it’s the reason behind the intense gaze she’s giving him earlier but he settled the thought at the farthest part of his mind. He’s resolved to ride along. Putting his hands at the pocket of his cargo jogger pants, he leaned his back on the railing, so close to her his side’s brushing Yiseo’s arms. 


“You should always be one step ahead when you’re fighting with someone who doesn’t play fair. When you know the odds could be manipulated against your favor, I think it’s best you plan your steps carefully. Hit before you get hit cause if you let them get the first punch, it could be over for you.”


She nodded her head but didn’t answer. Saeroyi glanced sideways and noticed how she’s staring vacantly on the night view before them. She appeared to be contemplating what he said. As if she’s considering his words and perspective. Seconds later, though it felt like a full minute to him, she turned and held his eyes. 


“Not when you let them have it anyway,” she said and shrugged her shoulders. 


Let them?” 


She nodded. “Yes. And when they do, they’d certainly think they have the upperhand, right? That’s when you hit them back twice as hard” 


“Is that how you fight?” he asked and she just pursed her lips. 


He tilted his head a bit as he trailed back to the time he first met Yiseo. On the way back to the pub, he heard people fighting and to no one’s surprise, he jumped in and held a woman’s hand that was about to slap her. Dumbfounded at the realization, his eyes were pricked both with shock and awe. “You knew that lady was gonna slap you,” he said, surprise etched in his voice. “And you’re just gonna let her” 


Catching on what he was talking about, Yiseo wore that neutral-almost-bored look on her face, as if this surprising fact he just learned is no big deal, and shook her head. “I wasn’t really gonna. She had slapped me already before you came and she isn’t lucky enough to land her hand on my face twice. No one is.” 


Amazed, the edge of his lips lifted. She sounded tough and his head perked at her tone. He hadn’t expect that. “Ooh,” he cooed. “You’re kinda cool, Yiseo.” 


“Kinda?” she asked, arching an eyebrow at him. Her tone playful and teasing that he fought the urge to smirk. 


“Okay, okay. You’re cool” 


“I’m surprised you can still remember that” 


“Are you kidding? There’s no way I’m forgetting meeting you, Yiseo.” he replied and she could hear the suppressed laughter in his voice. “Not once did I ever encounter someone the way I did when I first saw you. And to think that you made up a story to make me let go of you? How cunning that girl must be, I thought at the time.” 


“Neither do I. What, with you being nosy and all” 


“Nosy, yeah yeah.” he mimicked and Yiseo just playfully rolled her eyes at him. Shaking his head, Saeroyi sniggered as he turned and mirrored her position. Resting his overlapping arms on the balcony railing, his elbow brushed against hers. Releasing a breath, he scanned the view ahead of the pub. The sight before them was simply mesmerizing, with the city lights glinting against the darkness hovering above it. 


“You’re right, though,” Yiseo said, cutting the comfortable silence between them. “That’s how I fight. No one can hit me unless I allow them to. It’s easier that way. You let them think they’re stronger than you, like you’re such an easy prey they can toy with and devour right after. If it feeds their ego, then so be it. I let them enjoy that feeling cause once I hit them back..” 


“It’s over for them?” 


“There’s no stopping me unless I think it’s enough” 


He tittered, eyes now roaming around the street beneath them though he’s hardly focusing on it. He’s more like staring vacantly at people who’s either taking a late night stroll or already drunk enough to stagger their way home. 


“Why did that woman slap you anyway? And don’t you make up that story again, I’m not gonna fall for it now” he said, hearing his chuckle fused with the sound of hers. 


“Well, you’re a total idiot if you still do.” 


The sound of her soft laugh faded and she glanced sideways at Saeroyi and caught him looking at her expectantly, as if he’s waiting for something. Realizing she hadn’t answered him yet, Yiseo shrugged her shoulders. “It was making me uncomfortable” She eyed him and added, “Her daughter was” 
 

“For days, her daughter, who I won’t even bother recalling the name, and her friends were making me uncomfortable. I don’t usually meddle with other people’s lives as I don’t like others meddling with mine—and I gotta say it’s the only reason what they’re doing went on for a few days—but I finally had the excuse so I grabbed it right then and there.” 


“Excuse to.. meddle?” she nodded. “What excuse?”


“My pen,” Yiseo laughed as if she knows some kind of an inside joke he doesn’t. “Remember the time I told you that someone who’s holding grudges against me was the one who reported your pub? That’s the very one. Apparently, she’s a borough chief’s daughter”


Propping an elbow on the railing, she rested her chin on her palm. With a snicker, she muttered lowly, her words seemingly more to herself, “As if I’d care who she is. She could be the president’s daughter for all I care” 


She glanced at him before fixating her eyes at the street below. Pride flickered in Saeroyi’s eyes as he studied Yiseo. At first glance, nothing except her stoic expression could give away that she’s someone who could send one fleeing in fear. For such a small person, she’s tougher than how he had perceived in the beginning. She’s immensely independent and talented. Now, he learned she’s a tough one to crack. She’s fearless.


Tonight, he learned, Yiseo is no damsel in distress. 


“Still,” Saeroyi started, nudging Yiseo at the side to make her look at him. “You shouldn’t let anyone hurt you. Even though you can fight back, you have to be careful. What if you encounter someone who have no problem in fighting dirty? You can’t just let anyone tou—” His eyes widened with the sudden realization, his mouth hanging open. “Hey don’t tell me you let that guy hit you?” 


Yiseo’s forehead puckered with the way how Saeroyi looked close to being mad. “W—”


“Remember that one night when you ran inside the men’s room and a man was running after you? You were hit then, your face was so swollen, don’t tell me you let that guy hit you?” he asked, holding her arm. “Well? Did you?” he probed when she didn’t answer. 


“Oh, that” she said when she finally recalled the one he’s talking about. “Of course not. He’s just some guy wanting to get laid.” 


He flinched and recoiled a bit with her words and how blunt they are. It was late at night, he remembered. What was she doing with a guy like that? It’s dangerous. The crease in Saeroyi’s forehead deepened because of that thought and Yiseo saw it that she waved her hand off like it’s no big deal. “That’s nothing” she said, finding it funny. 


“Did he force you to go with him? Why did he hit you?” 


“I hurt his ego, big time, that’s why” she chuckled. “I only did it though cause he just won’t back off. I already said no but he kept on coming at me and it was annoying as hell, really. When he asked me what I don’t like about him, I took my chance and enumerated all his features I didn’t like and it pissed him.” 


“And that’s when he hit you?” 


“Nope. He slapped me after I threw money at him. Wha—He said I drank a lot and it cost him so much as if that’s enough of a reason for me to go with him.” Yiseo shook her head. “That was the last straw, apparently. He slapped me then. But it’s nothing. I just didn’t expect to get slapped at New Year’s that’s why he managed to land a hit on me. Otherwise, his fingers would be broken before it even landed on my face.”


“He’s still a guy, Yiseo. You talk like it’s nothing” 


“Because it is. I know how to fight and defend myself, I was just really caught off-guard. Besides, I threw him on the ground and managed to kick him on the ribs so I got back at him just well” 


He was silent for a moment as he considered it. With a nod he replied, “It’s good then” 


“That I threw him on the ground?” 


“That and the fact that you’re not crazy enough to let a guy hit you” They looked at each other, their eyes filled with amusement. Light air covering the atmosphere again, they found themselves exchanging small smiles. 


“Who would’ve known I’d see you again that night,” Yiseo said. “What a coincidence” 


“I know,”


“I must say,” she looked at him teasingly. “You were pretty cute” 


“C-cute? What?” 


“You know,” she playfully eyed his crotch beckoning on it. “When you were zipping up in panic, I’m just saying you looked cute then” 


In shock, Saeroyi mumbled incoherent words, as if he suddenly lost the ability to talk. He was so flustered and Yiseo didn’t even try hiding the fun she’s having with teasing him. She was cracking up, her eyes in a half-shaped moon, obviously entertained at his expense. Enjoying his embarassment. Saeroyi, flustered as he is, was able to disguise his laughter with an exhale as he patted his head, averting his eyes from her. 


“Oh sajangnim, don’t be shy. It’s just me” 


“Stop it” 


“Oooh, you’re red” 


“Yiseo” 


“Alright, alright. I’m done laughing now I promise” Yiseo replied in between her laughs, making a gesture of zipping her lips.


Releasing a shaky breath for the second time to suppress his laughter, Saeroyi nodded and finally lifted his head. The moment their eyes met, both bursted in laughter, failing miserably at keeping it in. None of them had a clue of how long the teasing went on but the laughter turned into soft chuckles that eventually became constrained smiles. They stood side by side, watching the view ahead and around them. 


Saeroyi fished his phone from his pocket when it beeped and his face hardened when he read the message he received. It didn’t slip from Yiseo’s sight. She was observing him. Subtly letting out a sigh, she knew whatever it was, Saeroyi would never tell her. 


The playful atmosphere phased out, that she knew. Fingers snapped and they were pulled back in reality. Both their demeanors changed and smiles were replaced with hardened features. 


“Is everything alright?” she asked, knowing all too well the answer she’d get.


He took a deep breath to steady his voice before answering. “Yes. I’m just gonna head out for a bit” There it was. Exactly the words she expected to hear. Without even a glance at her, Saeroyi took a step but Yiseo blocked his way, stepping in front of him. 


“Where are you going?”


“I just have to meet someone” 


“Are you coming back?” 


“I don’t think so. You can close the pub when yo—” 


“I’ll wait here, then” she shrugged, ignoring his reply. Putting her hands in the pocket of her coat, she said, “You know, if in case it goes well, we’ll be drinking to celebrate” 


Shifting his weight to the other foot, he released a breath and decided to ride along, “If it doesn’t?” 


“Then we’ll be drinking to death” she smirked and he let out a small smile. 


Yiseo was left at the rooftop. Eyebrows deeply furrowed, her eyes freely roaming on the street below her, she kept on thinking about Saeroyi and how he doesn’t tell her anything. Chairman Jang ate at their pub, something that he does with pubs he sees as his competitor, which in no way they were. They’re way too far from being called Jangga’s competitor. They still have a long way to go. Yiseo knew of that. She, at least, is sure of that.


It’s because of Saeroyi’s investment in Jangga Co., she figured. He bought their stocks eight years ago and something in that fact made the Chairman Jang step foot in their small pub. Now, Saeroyi went out to meet with somebody. 


Whoever it was he’s meeting with, she’s sure it has something to do with what happened today. He’s planning something and it’s frustrating how she isn’t a part of it. She doesn’t know anything and it’s irritating her. She can feel her patience slowly slipping out. Her strong desire to know everything, she realized, was nothing compared to how she wants to help him. She’s smart and she could help him in everything. If only she knew. 


“You know you could burn a pub down with your eyes like that” 


Yiseo turned abruptly and see Hyunyi sitting, her legs propped on the table, both hands behind her head. “What’s bothering you?” 


She sighed and sat on the chair across Hyunyi, “Nothing” 


“If you’re gonna frown like that, you should just tell the truth. You’d save a breath that way” Hyunyi smirked and Yiseo took in a deep breath. Folding an arm across her chest, and the other propped on it, she bit her index finger as she thought of ways she could find out what Danbam pub’s connection is with Jangga. Or better yet his connection with the Jang family. 


Hyunyi, amused with how deeply concentrated she is, just sat in silence, watching her with amusement in her eyes. 


In a snap, she almost fell off her chair when Yiseo suddenly slammed her hand down in the table, hard, her eyes wide. 


“What the fu—Yiseo!” she shouted. “Are you trying to kill me?” She held tight on the table as she almost fell over in shock. Yiseo, on the other hand, as if she hadn’t heard Hyunyi, looked at her with anticipating eyes. Like she’s the answer she’d been looking for. Her eyes were almost twinkling, so bright, a huge contrast to how it were just seconds ago. 


“How long have you known sajangnim?” 


“What? Why?” 


“Just answer it please, I really, really need to know” she pleaded, rounding her eyes. “You’ve known him for a few years now, right?” 


“Yes,” Hyunyi answered hesitantly with an urge to recoil from Yiseo’s sudden change. Just moments ago, her frown was so deep it could leave marks on her face but now she’s suddenly bright and hyperactive, it’s scaring her. “What are you on, Yiseo?” 


“Then you must know what’s between him and Jangga, right?” 


There it is. Just as she expected. Snickering, she leaned back, leg over the other. Hyunyi, since the beginning, have been watching Yiseo closely and she thinks she knows something about her that the others probably have no idea about. Yet. 


It’s too early to tell though, she thought, but she’s a hundred and one percent sure that it’s where Yiseo’s heading off with the rate she’s going. Those stolen glances, the hard stares, she’s incredibly aware of all those. 


Shaking her head, she sighed, “As much as I want to help ease your frustrations Yiseo, I could never tell you anything you don’t already know” 


“What?” 


“You heard me,” she said, shrugging. “I’m just as shock as everyone else were when I heard that boss invested in Jangga. I didn’t even know he has that kind of money. I may have been with him longer than you do, but I don’t know more than you know. Not even Seungkwon. You could ask him and he’d tell you things you’re already aware of.” 


Yiseo shut her eyes tight when she realized it’s a dead-end. If this is how things are gonna be, she’d end up with no choice but to ask Saeroyi himself. Just the thought of it alone is already making her feel defeated. 


“Don’t get yourself worked out too much because of it,” Hyunyi said, resting a hand over her arm. She opened her eyes and sighed. 


“But if it could make you feel a bit at ease, I must tell you,” her words slow, Hyunyi has this unreadable look on her face. There’s a mixture of amusement and certainty in her eyes and it baffled Yiseo. “If Saeroyi would open up about his past to someone, I’m sure it’s with you” 


Sighing, Yiseo thought of how overreaching her words are. 


“I’m serious,” Hyunyi stressed. “I know it sounds way out of a possibility but I’m serious, Yiseo. I mean, Seungkwon and I have asked him, countless times, as casual as we can but we never got past anything beyond what we now know. But I have this feeling it won’t be the case if you’re gonna ask him.” 


“He never tells me anything” 


“Not yet” Hyunyi pointed out. “If time’s all boss needs to open up, then... just wait” 


Unnie,” she called, leaning on the table. “Do you know me at all?” 


Getting her point, Hyunyi chuckled, shaking her head. “Oh yeah, you’re impatient as ” she muttered and Yiseo scoffed at her playfully. “But what else can you do? You’re out of options here” 


“Should I just squeeze it out of him?” she asked, finding her dilemma a bit ridiculous.


“You know what?” Hyunyi arched an eyebrow at her, looking so confident, like she got the brightest idea in the world. 


“What?” 


“You just do you” she answered with a smirk.