EP6: The One Night at the Bridge and The Morning After It (1)

Itaewon Class Drama Fillers

 

Tonight was different. It was different but he wasn’t sure why or what was. Saeroyi jogged, something that he always does since he was of young age, around Itaewon as he take in the wondrous place that captured both his heart and soul. He stepped into this place right after he was released from prison and he knew right away that he belonged here. In this place, he centered all his goals in life and planted his feet firmly as he build his way up, fulfilling every plan he made. It’s here where he started his own pub.


At dawn of every day, he jogged as his mind busied itself with techniques and strategies he could make up to help his pub obtain patrons and maybe even get known. His mind at its own pace, it always took him farther than where his feet can. It’s something that he does not only out of a habit, though it did start that way, but more of something that enables him to have a clearer perception about things. Not only at dawn, he also jogs at night. It’s when he freely lets go and allows his mind to run over the things that occured at everyday, run about every detail, and maybe even plan for the next day. He always does that. 


But tonight’s different. He squinted his eyes and tilted his head a bit when someone’s name popped into his mind without a forewarning. 


Jo Yi Seo. 


A strong-willed girl he just met. Stubborn, passionate, and unpredictable. A kind of person he’d never encountered before. She has this cool and strong persona that could easily intimidate everyone she’d cross paths with. When you look at her face, you wouldn’t know what she’s thinking or what goes on in her mind, and it made her somewhat mysterious yet she sometimes seems to be an open book. You could tell when she’s annoyed or happy. Sad or dissatisfied. But there’s really no way of knowing what exactly her thoughts are. 


She came into his life like a runway train. She came in the most disastrous way. His pub was suspended for two months because they let in a minor and one of them is her. It’s funny how she didn’t really appear to be remorseful about it, she didn’t even look guilty, that it bewildered him that night when she told him she’d help him with his pub. As if she’d gain something from it. 


Saeroyi felt a tight smile form at the corner of his lips when he thought of that. A girl like Yiseo isn’t someone that is in need of money. She’s well-rounded and skillful in every way and she’s doing really well in her life. Obviously, his pub isn’t essential for her but she stepped in as if working for him is something great or life-fulfilling. 


Then it hit him. The reason why tonight’s different. 


It’s her. 


It’s Jo Yi Seo. 


He stopped and let out a soft laugh when the realization hit him and caught him off-guard. Planting his hands on his hips, he shifted his gaze and looked around him. This was what’s different: the way he looked around him. 


The nights before Yiseo came, he jogged as his mind swam with worries and frustrations brought upon the current state of his pub. To be honest, he had no idea what’s so wrong with it that people would only come at their pub by accident and then never come back to try their place again. He jogged as he went on with questions and everytime he stopped, he always got nothing. He always ended up with nothing but more questions left unanswered. Always a dead-end. His pub was dead, only a blind person wouldn’t see that fact, but he masked his frustrations with indifference and feigned confidence, in hopes that he wouldn’t affect his staff’s mood and resolution. 


With a constrained smile, he patted his head. Tonight was different because he’s jogging with ease. His heart filled with ease knowing that his pub finally took a leap out of the muddy state it was in. He wasn’t looking around at other pubs and feel pressured anymore. Danbam pub already does well in its own, thanks to someone. 


Releasing a breath in an attempt to mask the grin that’s forming on his lips, he shook his head and went back to jogging. Just as it always had been, Itaewon was full of life. The place has been and always have been alive. The loud chatters and deafening shrills of laughter hit his ears and the blinding colors of warm blinking lights fed his eyes. The unfamiliar faces each painted with varying emotions took no notice of him as everyone never minded anyone’s business. The smell of delicacies, the sound of grilling meats, the clanking of glasses accompanied with people’s cheers, and the smell of whiskey and alcohol overwhelmed him. Everything about Itaewon intoxicated Saeroyi. Not once did it fail at alluring and enticing him with its beauty. 


Only now could he truly see and experience this things with a light heart and genuine interest. Only now could he truly let himself indulge and swim in the beauty of Itaewon. And that was why tonight was different. He was at peace and a bit free of worry. Like everything is in its right place. Yet again, her name popped in his mind and again, he constrained the tight smile on his lips. 


Shaking his head, he diverted his attention to every establishments he came across with. A foot over the other, he maintained his pace. As he jogged his way up the overpass and turned to his right, he tilted his head a bit and slowed down as he caught sight of a familiar figure. He walked over, his head leaning in to see if his eyes aren’t playing some tricks on him. 


“Manager” he called and he was right. A bit startled as he pulled her out of her daze, Yiseo turned and removed the mask covering her face. It appeared that she’s in deep thought and was genuinely startled when he called her. 


“You got off work a while ago, what are you doing here?” he asked, a bit amazed with how she appeared just when he thought of her. Well, not actually thought of her, Saeroyi pointed out to himself. She merely just popped into his mind and it’s not as if he’s thinking of her.


“I was thinking about you” she said with no hesitation, amazement glinting in her eyes. It stunned him and he leaned his head back with how blunt she was. “What?” he asked and Yiseo just smirked, evidently pleased with how he reacted. 


She then changed the subject yet the playfulness in her eyes didn’t fade. “What about you? Why are you jogging here all of  a sudden?” 


“Jogging is my hobby” he answered. “This is a great course to jog” he looked down and saw the luggage sitting beside Yiseo. He looked back at her and on her luggage as his mind slowly came up with assumptions, putting the pieces together on why she’s still out at this time of the night. “Did something happen?” 


“I made my mom cry” 


He wasn’t expecting her answer and it made him lean back, feeling a mixture of surprise and curiosity, “Why?”


“Because I refused to live the way she wanted me to live. She wanted me to go to a good university, get a job at a big firm and marry a guy from a decent family. I guess she didn’t like what I was doing.” she answered in nonchalance and his mind took him back at the moment where he learned that Yiseo chose to work in his pub instead of pursuing her enrollment in a university. 


They were preparing the pub for its opening that time when Geunsoo approached him and made him rethink of his decision in hiring Yiseo, saying how she was supposed to be entering college. He remembered she was busy double-checking their inventory that time, a clipboard in her hand. He stared at her, fully aware of the look Geunsoo was giving him, expectant that Saeroyi would agree with him, that he’d refuse to hire Yiseo so she could go to college. He remembered how he thinned his lips and with the same nonchalance Yiseo was giving him now, he tapped Geunsoo on his shoulders and walked away, leaving him shocked at the wordless answer he’d given.


“Geun-soo did tell me that you’re working at the pub instead of going to university” he said. 


Yiseo turned to him in surprise, the hint of amusement in her eyes was replaced with curiosity. “Why didn’t you stop me?” 


Saeroyi paused to think of a reason. Something that he himself isn’t even sure if he has. To be perfectly honest, even he was surprised that he didn’t stop her from working at the pub. He thought he already knew himself, that he’s not someone with the tendency to be selfish, that he’d always think of the other person’s well-being and merits more than his own. Well, he really was like that, everybody knows that.


But he kept her with him. He let her do what she wants even while being perfectly aware that her other option could be a more wiser decision she could take. A better path than where he’s leading her onto. Saeroyi didn’t stop her from working at a small pub, his pub that’s more lifeless than a dead body, something that could possibly hinder her from a much better life and  future like the one her mother had planned out for her. 


Now that he’s being asked for a reason, he didn’t know what to say. Why did he do that? He was never like that to other people. Everybody that knows him knows perfectly well how extremely considerate he was with others. So extreme that he’d been called, countless times, a pushover. 


“Let me guess. You wanted to respect my choice because it’s my life?” he obviously took too long in answering her that she ended up blurting out her assumption and he was shocked with what he heard. 


“No.” he answered much too fast for his liking that Yiseo turned, obviously not expecting his answer. “Because I need you” he added.


It sounded selfish even to his ears but looking at Yiseo, she didn’t appear to be bothered by it. He doesn’t think she even cares. She just stood there, looking so amused at him and he felt like an idiot for not having any idea why. It was the total opposite of how he felt. He felt really selfish and it’s the first time he’s feeling that way. He was never like that with Hyunyi or Seungkwon. Not even with Sooah. He’s always been, and is still is, overly considerate of them. But with her, it's different. And he didn't know why. He had no answers. Nothing. Yiseo’s guess of his intentions might’ve been true if it were them but with Yiseo.. he didn’t know he could be selfish for once. 


But that isn’t even the worst part. 


The worst part is he didn’t feel guilty. Not even for a bit. He didn’t feel shameful or remorseful. He tried to search for those kind of feelings but all those are nonexistent. 


He only knows that he meant it. He meant every word. He needs her. 


“If your mother wants you to get a job at a big firm, maybe DanBam could eventually grow into one.” he said and he looked at her, trying to make out of what she thinks. Nothing. He got nothing. She just has this smirk etched on her lips as her eyes are glinting with amusement in them. Just as he said, Yiseo could be hard to read. She’s just too unpredictable for one to fully comprehend what goes on in her mind. “Am I being too selfish?” Saeroyi asked and she just smirked at him. 


He patted his head, confused of why she’s reacting the way that she is, making him wonder if he’s doing the right way of consoling her. “I haven’t really consoled anyone before.”


Yiseo let out a small smile and looked down, her tone light and relieved at the same time. “That just consoled me more than anything.” She then lets out a small laugh as she said, “But I’m a little surprised I didn’t know you’d be brazen enough to say something like that” and it was so contagious Saeroyi felt himself fighting the urge to grin for the nth time that night. 


“Well, I have you.” he answered, trying to keep his lips tight. He was all but fully unaware of how he failed at concealing the hint of happiness b in his eyes. Yiseo saw it though and she smiled at him in return. 


“During our team dinner, you said you want DanBam to grow into a bigger franchise than Jangga Co.” she said.


“Yes” 


“That means you want to be the best in the food business.”


He nodded his head and answered, “I’ll make it happen.” 


Letting out a chuckle, Yiseo turned and looked ahead of her, “They say, ‘The bigger you dream, the bigger you’ll grow‘” she replied. Shifting her gaze back at him, her tone was filled with amusement and there’s a ring of playfulness in it as she asked, “You’re a man of your word, right? You’re not full of bull, right?”


Saeroyi, so close at grinning, scrunched his face, his eyes meeting the amused ones of Yiseo as she’s now outright smiling at him. “What? Bull... what?” 


Yiseo laughed but her words were as genuine as her eyes appeared to be “Let’s make it happen together” she said.


“Okay” He just nodded his head and the corner of his lips lifted up as he finally failed himself at concealing a smile. His answer was brief and it didn’t measure up to what he’s feeling inside. There’s a surge of warmth within him and he isn’t sure if his eyes gave him away but he knew the feeling was much too strong for it to be masked upon. Yiseo’s words, her saying that they should make it happen together, was the first time he’d heard anyone say to him. And to think that it came from someone he had just met, someone who barely even knows him, he had this feeling in his chest that he couldn’t name. 


Is it gratitude? Perhaps, but he doesn’t really know. He’s sure of one thing though, together. Occassionally stealing glances of her, Saeroyi let himself enjoy the word and he’d be lying if he’d say it doesn’t have a nice ring to it. They stayed where they were, their feet planted on that bridge, looking ahead of them, their minds wandering off somewhere. There was silence ringing out loud between them but Saeroyi had never felt more at peace. He’d catch himself thinning his lips into a smile and his head looking sideways to steal a glance of her. Yiseo’s been silent for the most part but she too appeared to be perfectly free of worries than probably how she had been before he arrived. 


Together, she said. It honestly does sound a thousand times better than his version of I will... 

 

--
Hours passed with neither of them being aware of it. They had a few small talks and before they know it, the sky was finally beginning to have colors painted in it. The sun’s about to rise and their day’s about to begin. 


“Let’s go?” Saeroyi asked, turning to look at Yiseo.


“What?” 


“I mean if you’d like you could wash yourself at...” he scratched his temple and averted his eyes from her. “You could wash and change at my place. Then, we could go at the pub together” 


Yiseo wasn’t responding for seconds and it made him flicker his eyes on her. She had her head tilted as she looked at her with friskiness glinting in her eyes. Unconsciously patting his head, he thinned his lips and averted his gaze once more. 


“Okay” Yiseo finally said after a full minute of studying him. He swore he could feel her eyes burning a hole in his face and he didn’t have the heart to meet such strong gaze that he forced himself to look elsewhere. 


He just nodded his head and without looking at her, he grabbed her luggage and began to walk. Hearing Yiseo chuckling for an unknown reason, he didn’t slow down. 


“Wait for me,” her tone bright and cheerful, he heard her hurried footsteps before he felt her arm clinging onto his. 


As planned, they cleaned themselves and he prepared a small breakfast for her before they went along and strolled their way to the pub. He still had Yiseo’s luggage in his hands as she refused to let it sit at his place even though he insisted. She said she’d get her own place in no time and Saeroyi knew better than to try and reason with her. 


“Why?” she asked when he first offered his place for her to stay. 


“Why what?” he asked, confused. 


“Why are you offering for me to stay here?” she asked and he opened his mouth to say something when she beat him into it. “Let me guess, because you feel responsible of me?” 


“You’re the manager of the pub, I just can’t” 


“You don’t have to take responsibility of me,” he remembered Yiseo say. “Especially not with that reason. I may be the pub’s manager but I’m still my own person. You don’t always have to be responsible for everyone around you, you know” That was the last words she utter before she finished her breakfast in a hurried manner, he might add. 


As they’re walking towards the pub, he stole a quick sideway glance at her and noticed how she’s deep in thought. He was a bit surprised with her tone when she said that. Maybe it was something that he said that offended her, or the tone he used? He’s not really sure. 


“Boss” Yiseo called and he was surprised but more of relieved when he turned and see her giving him a small smile. 


“Hmm?” he urged, leaning in a bit. 


“Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it really” she said and he just nodded his head. 


They had a few small talks between them before they eventually arrived at the pub, seeing that Geunsoo and Seungkwon had finally arrived. Seungkwon was shocked to see them enter the pub together but not with the way Geunsoo had been. He was eyeing them with surprise but there’s a hint of emotion there that Saeroyi couldn’t define. He greeted them before patting Yiseo on the shoulders, putting her luggage down beside her and left to attend their cash register. He heard Geunsoo asking Yiseo what happened and all she gave was a brief and vague answer. 


The day went by as usual, though not for the most part. Hyunyi changed her hair color to black and it definitely looked good on her. They went ahead with the hiring process as they look for a new staff; with Yiseo being strict and all and Saeroyi agreeing to every decision Yiseo makes. He may not have the same gut she had—he’s still unsure why she refused to hire the girl that used to work at Seok-cheon’s pub though she's very suitable for the role—but Yiseo's the one he trusts the most. Whatever she says, as long as it’s acceptable for him as well, goes.


Finally, after a long list of rejected candidates, all thanks to the high standards Yiseo has set, on that very same day, the Danbam crew had a new family member: Tony