Family

Dancing With Your Ghost
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“You did amazing, Eunbi unnie.” Sakura’s gaze on Eunbi made the latter melt inside. 

 

She accepted the bouquet, “Thank you for watching me.”

 

Just as Eunbi was about to lean in Sakura’s open arms, a taller figure approached them and playfully started Eunbi from behind.

 

“Ah!”

 

“Eunbi unnie! You did so well.” Sian grinned and Eunbi leaned in to hug her, “Thanks Sian~ I owe it to you since you taught me so well.”

 

Sakura’s eyes shifted from both of them and she just felt happy seeing Eunbi relieved. Her arms slowly went down and were replaced with a bittersweet smile. She remained standing where she was, not bothering to greet Sian or anything. It’s not that she disliked Sian. She simply kept it professional and didn’t force any friendships she didn’t need in her life.

 

“Oh, Sakura right?” Sian spoke after the many glances she had thrown in her direction. It seemed like she hesitated a lot in acknowledging her presence.

 

“Yes. Nice to see you again, Sian-ssi.” Sakura politely responded. Eunbi clung onto her like a koala all of a sudden, “She’s my number one fan. My favorite baby,” She flashed her gummy smile. Sian stared at them and her smile felt less genuine as she felt Sakura’s eyes on her.

 

“Wait, are you two together? Like… dating?”

 

Sakura didn’t expect that. The question thrown at her immediately confirmed her suspicions. Sian did have feelings for her friend. 

 

“Oh, no! We’re childhood friends from almost a decade back. She’s like family to me.”

 

Family.

 

Sakura nodded along, but she wondered why that word didn’t sit well with her. She thinks about her own little brother and doesn’t know if he sees Eunbi like that. Definitely not, she concludes less than a minute of pondering it. She looks at Eunbi’s side profile and her gaze goes down to her lips. 

 

“That’s… good. Whew.” Sian laughed awkwardly, gaining a weird look from both Sakura and Eunbi.

 

“A-Anyway! I have to go now. Parents want to eat out. Eunbi, I’ll text you later okay?” She grinned and waved them goodbye.

 

Eunbi chuckled, “Cute.”

 

Sakura pouted, “Are you disappointed to be left with me?”

 

“Yah, you’ve been sulking a lot lately. Something wrong?”

 

Sakura felt caught off guard. Eunbi notices small details a lot and she felt bare in front of her. It’s happening again. The weird feeling of wanting to hide. Hide what? Sakura didn’t understand herself lately. She felt like her words were always stuck in . Whenever she stared at Eunbi, she felt like she could lose her at any moment.

 

“N-Nothing.”

 

She herself knew how much of a lie that was. Eunbi leaned closer to the point that Sakura could smell her perfume. She doesn’t know where the courage rose within her but she suddenly darted her eyes directly towards her best friend’s eyes. Behind all that eye makeup, all she could see was those beautiful brown orbs staring back into her own.

 

“I just… miss you.”

 

Eunbi’s eyes immediately softened. It seemed like before Sakura said those words, even she felt some things she couldn’t describe at the moment. She softly smiled along with those eyes and cupped Sakura’s face, “I’m sorry. Since the dance recital just ended, I’ll have more time for you.”


 

… 

Lies.

 

Even now, Sakura’s eyes are full of nothing but longing. She sees Sian in Chaeyeon. Except, this time around she sees Sian in everyone surrounding Eunbi, her ex-best friend. Everyone loves you Eunbi and because of that, perhaps my insecurities will never let me get close to you again. I’d rather admire you from afar.

 

(... Wait, what?)

 

Sakura physically shakes her head and sighs. When Chaeyeon appears in front of her, she immediately puts on her actress face, eyes shining as if nothing happened. She noticed everyone was already in positions for the group dance. Her ears blushed red and she went over to her position. They ran over the dance and her foot missed a step, colliding with Eunbi as they went onto a new formation. Eunbi’s hand instinctively handed around her waist to support her back and unable to control her strength, it also pulled Sakura close. Their faces were the closest they’ve been in three years.

 

“S-Sorry,” Sakura immediately pulled away and the girls just nodded. Chaeyeon observed the two and went over to the speakers to get the music ready again. Eunbi continued to spare glances at Sakura but said nothing more.

 

By the end of practice, Chaeyeon asked Eunbi and Sakura to wait until the rest of the girls left.

 

“So, Sakura I remember you performed Monster really well during auditions. Eunbi, you also performed it last year when you first joined our team. I was wondering if you two want to perform it as a part of our upcoming campus-wide event in three weeks?”

 

Eunbi froze and Sakura also didn’t know what to say.

 

“How about you Chaeyeon? You learn choreography pretty well. Probably better than me.” Eunbi gave her a knowing look. Sakura mentally thanked Eunbi for being the one to refuse.



“O-Oh, really? But, I just… your image suits the song so well.”

 

“It’s fine, Chae. Kkura, what do you think?”

 

“I’m good with that.” She forced the words out of . Eunbi glanced at her for a split second before looking away and readjusting the backpack strap on her shoulder, “Great, do well you two.”

 

Chaeyeon squeezed Eunbi’s upper arm, earning a smile from the latter.

 

(She smiled because finally, she was letting go.)


 

FeatherChae: Unnie, thank you! ^-^ I didn’t expect you’d help me so soon.

 

GodEunbi: Of course, perfect opportunity I must say :)

 

FeatherChae: We don’t disappoint! Hehe.


 

From the back of her mind, her own voice bounces back at her.

 

“Nooo. I want you here too. You’ll be my dance partner and… more time with me.” 

 

I’m sure Sakura wants this too. She never wanted this anyway. It was just me. 

 

She shuts off the light and turns on her side. 

 

… 

 

Before the recital, Sakura was shocked to get a long message in their dance crew group chat. 

 

FeatherChae: Hello Koreaboos, (Jk)

Hello guys, we’d like you all to answer the poll ASAP. We’re trying to plan a two day one night trip to Sokcho for some team bonding.

Answer by the 22nd pls :) 

 

KireiYena: Isn’t it like January and we’re going to the beach?

 

KwangbaeLovesFood: Even better. Punishment can be throwing people in the water! *Insert evil laugh*

 

Sakura stared at the incoming notifications. Eunbi hasn’t inserted any say in the suggestion, but she sees the poll gaining results. Her heart wouldn’t stop racing as she thought of spending the night with Eunbi. Well, perhaps they wouldn’t be sharing the same bed, but it was still nerve-wracking to think about.

 

There’s a knock on the door and Sakura bounces back, slightly hitting her head on the headboard of her bed.

 

“Come in,”

 

One of her suitemates, Nako came in and smiled, “Wanna go to the dining hall with us?” Hitomi appeared behind her back, getting her to smile along.

 

Sakura shyly curved her head inwards as her stomach grumbled. “I… haha, just kinda woke up. But you can both head first. When do your first classes start?”

 

“9:30. It’s 8:40 now.”

 

“Okay, you don’t have to wait for me, but I’ll be there!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter