Déjà Vu

Dancing With Your Ghost
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

It’s funny how even after all these years of no contact, there’s this woman who manages to take Sakura into a whirl of emotions. Eunbi didn’t change much. Except, she seems a lot more mature with short blonde hair and a red lip gloss. Sakura had to admit, despite their history, she couldn’t resist staring. Sakura height-wise had grown a lot in the three years apart. Yet it wasn’t time to reminisce. They didn’t want to meet again and certainly, not in this way.

 

“Ms. Miyawaki?”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“Do you understand better now what you must work on?”

 

Sakura raised her head slowly and met Eunbi’s gaze with her own. Eunbi immediately drifted her gaze as she swallowed her saliva.

 

“Respect. Noted.”

 

“Well, then. Settle it out and leave my office.”

 

Sakura made a half-hearted bow and met Eunbi’s gaze again, “Sorry. Forgive me.” Her voice did not quiver one bit which meant that she put no emotions into it. Eunbi wasn’t satisfied but she forced a nod, “Forgiven.”

 

They both headed for the door and reached for the knob. Eunbi’s hand landed on Sakura’s and she flinched as if her touch burned against her own skin. Sakura didn’t bother looking at the girl next to her and left, trying to seem as composed.

 

“Three years later, you’re still the same.”

 

“You too. Always hiding behind your father’s back.”

 

Eunbi’s steps covered more distance in order for her to pull Sakura’s shoulder in her direction. The younger whipped around and squinted her eyes in annoyance.

 

“So you still hate me. Fine. You picked up a fight and my dad, who is the president of this school, happened to hear. Why are you acting like it’s my fault that you got yourself into trouble?” Eunbi spat in disbelief. She wanted nothing to do with Sakura, even if that was cowardly. She lived three years without closure, it was just right to keep living.

 

Sakura lightly swatted away Eunbi’s fingertips on her shoulder and used her height to her advantage, looking down at her.

 

“You’re wrong. You got me into trouble. You simply existing… drives me insane.”

 

Eunbi opened but nothing came out. Sakura waited a few seconds before walking in the opposite direction. She bit her lip and clenched her fist, “... And I hate how that’s the case.” She mumbled under her breath.


 

… 

 

“I just don’t get her. She shows up again and tells me my existence drives her insane? She’s the one who started to avoid me! Then she left without a word. Shouldn’t it be me who’s angry at her?” Eunbi whined to her two close friends, Yena and Hyewon. She laid on her bed while the two were seated against the edge of her bed, focused on the game playing on the monitor.

 

“Guys! Anyone wanna comfort the owner of that TV?”

 

“Ah . I lost. Anyway…” Yena sighed and turned around, still seated with her legs crossed. Hyewon followed suit but remained silent as she always did when it came to emotional deep talks.

 

“... Did you ever wonder why she avoided you?”

 

Eunbi stared into empty space and her eyebrows began to meet in the middle. 

 

“Maybe before you say that you don’t get her, you should try to understand. Some people just need someone to ask. I know you’re the type to speak your mind without a fear in the world, but there are people who struggle with that.”

 

Hyewon chuckled to the side, “Seems like me and this Sakura girl would get along well.” 

 

Eunbi sighed, “I just… what if I don’t want to know? What if I did something wrong… Am I prepared for that?”

 

“If you really care about your friendship, fear of the past is nothing. Why be afraid of the past if you can redeem yourself in the present and future?” Hyewon added. 

 

Yena smirked, “You’ve got two wise friends who are younger than you, unnie. Disappointing!” She joked and Eunbi threw a pillow at her.

 

“Whatever. I do care, it’s just that… I don’t know if she does anymore.” 

 

“And if she doesn’t?” Yena asked.

 

“Then why should I…” Eunbi sighed and went on her phone to distract herself from her negativity. Yena and Hyewon exchanged worried glances but didn’t say anything else. 

 

… 

 

The next day Eunbi arrived late to a school event hosted by a speaker from a graduate school program. At the door, she noticed that Yena and Hyewon didn’t save her a seat. Heat rushed to her cheeks out of disbelief and worry. She felt embarrassed as she saw all eyes on her. Yena snickered to the side, receiving a glare from the older girl. 


“Sorry, forgot that we have a speaker today.” Eunbi silently apologized to the teacher at the door. 


Ms. Kang nodded, “Well, Eunbi. Because you arrived late, you’re more than welcome to take the empty seat you see. Front row.”

 

Eunbi usually sat in the back, but she didn’t mind sitting in the front row. What she did mind was who she would be sitting next to.

 

She walked over in hesitation and glanced at Yena and Hyewon, who were tried their hardest to keep their laughter in. The person she was approaching was no other than her ex-best friend.

 

Sakura’s expression did not change one bit as she kept her gaze on the speaker. She listened intently and even had a small note pad. Feeling Eunbi’s presence to her left, she subconsciously started to lean to her right where her notepad was.

 

“H-Hey… why are you taking notes?” Eunbi whispered. Her lips were closer to Sakura than she intended, causing a ticklish feeling to the younger girl. Of course, Sakura tried her best to hide that feeling.

 

“If you came on time, you would know,” Sakura muttered under her breath, refusing to glance in her direction.

 

The speaker continued to talk about possible graduate school programs and Eunbi would sneakily read Sakura’s notes. Luckily she had a pen. She only lacked something to write on. She bit her lip, trying not to let her pride get the best of her.

 

“Can I borrow a piece of paper?”

 

Sakura ripped a sheet and held it up in the air before letting it fall, “You can’t borrow paper, just f.y.i.” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter