Dear Santa (Yeorry)

A Christmas Month

2nd oneshot! Yerim and Yeojin centered, based on 'Dear Santa' by TTS! Listen to the song (KR version) while reading :)
Yerim and Yeojin are best friends, celebrating Christmas eve together!

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Dear Santa

Listen to my story

 

Smiling at the soft snowfall outside, Yeojin hums to herself. Behind her, her sister Haseul is wrapping some last-minute gifts. ‘Did you wrap all your gifts, Yeo?’ She turns to her sister and nods, walking over to the couch. ‘They’re all under the tree.’ She settles into the couch and swings her short legs back and forth above the floor. They’re not ALL under the tree. She has a special present stored under her bed for a special someone. Haseul hums and puts the final gifts under the tree before turning back to her sister. ‘I’ll be helping mom with the food, can you set the table and shovel the walkway? Don’t want our guests to slip.’

 

Yeojin jumps up with a sigh and heads towards the dining room. All the utensils and decorations she’d need are already laying on the closet on the side. Picking up the table cloth, she hums to herself as she sets the table. She takes her time to align the plates and cutlery, not wanting to be scolded by her mother or Haseul. Resting her hands on her hips, she nods contently at her work. ‘Perfect!’ She applauds herself for a moment before being interrupted by her dad. ‘Good job, kiddo. I’m going to prep the fire pit outside, you’re okay with shoveling the walkway, right?’ Yeojin nods and salutes her dad. ‘Leave it to me!’ Chuckling, he ruffles her hair as he passes her, tugging on his thick coat and gloves.

 

With her favourite orange winter coat, frog hat and matching scarf, and green gloves, she makes her way to the garage to pick up their snow shovel. Carelessly dragging it behind her, she looks at the layer of snow threatening to injure their guests. ‘Snow! Make way for Yeojin!’ She readies herself in front of their door, digging the shovel into the snow and pushes with all her might. ‘Well that didn’t work.’ The snow is stickier than she expects, so she frowns down at it with the shovel in hand. She takes a moment to look around before remembering they still have a bag of snow salt in the garage too. ‘Aha!’

 

Hauling the bag outside, she digs her gloved hands in and sprinkles it around the walkway happily. Once she’s sure she’s covered the whole walkway, she stares at the snow. ‘Shoo!’ Another frown settles on her face. The snow has indents in it from where the salt crystals hit it, but doesn’t seem to be disappearing as she was expecting. ‘Now what?’ She leans against the snow shovel, scoffing as it’s nearly her own height. ‘A bit of snow isn’t going to beat me!’ She drags the shovel and bag of salt back to the garage and looks around. Her eyes light up as she glances over at her father’s workbench. A mischievous smirk finds its way to her lips as she walks over.

 

‘HAHAHAHA, DIE SNOW, DIE!’ Yeojin laughs maniacally as she blow-torches the snow on the walkway with her father’s blowtorch. It melts almost instantly, the molten slow left in puddles on the walkway. Smirking at her brilliant idea, she bows to a non-existent audience and returns the blowtorch to its original place. Happy to be done, she walks back inside, kicking off her boots and hanging up her outerwear. ‘The walkway is clear!’ Her mother walks by from the kitchen to the living room. ‘Well done, dear. Care to give us a hand with setting the snacks and appetizers on the coffee table?’ She drags herself towards the kitchen to find Haseul coming out with 2 bowls of candy. She tries to reach for one but her sister quickly turns away. ‘Nuh-uh! Not until the guests get here.’ Yeojin grunts and picks up some of the plates, following behind her.

 

***

 

‘It looks beautiful, Yerim!’ She smiles at her sister’s compliment as they both look at her well-decorated christmas tree. ‘Thanks, Jinsol. Is Jungeun coming soon?’ Jinsol smiles happily at the mention of her girlfriend and wraps an arm around Yerim’s shoulder. ‘She’ll be here in a few minutes to help us with the cake.’ Yerim nods and leans into her sister’s hold. It’s just the 2 of us in their small apartment but every christmas, they manage to make it feel like home. Especially since Jinsol started dating Jungeun last year. They’re basically Yerim’s pseudo parents at this point.

 

‘You remembered to buy the green fondant, right?’ Jinsol chuckles and nods, patting Yerim’s head. ‘I did. Why’s Yeojin so obsessed with frogs anyway?’ Yerim shrugs with a smile. ‘Who knows. She just does so it has to be part of the cake.’ Jinsol nods and turns to check her phone. ‘Jungie’s here. I’ll go help her with the rest of the ingredients, be right back!’ The younger Jung chuckles as her sister rushes out to help her girlfriend who no doubt brought way too many utensils and ingredients, as per usual. Walking to their small kitchen, Yerim starts pulling out the basic ingredients and the decorations they have in the cupboards. She wants to make a cake for Yeojin and her family as thanks for inviting their little family to their christmas dinner.

 

A few minutes later, the front door opens and Jinsol loudly announces their presence. ‘I have returned with sweets! And Jungeun brought some candy too!’ Yerim shakes her head at her sister’s cheesy comment while Jungeun blushes and sets a bag of presents down in the living room. ‘Wow, you really outdid yourself, Yerim.’ She smiles at the Christmas tree in the corner, colourful and glittery, just like Yerim herself. ‘Thank you, Jungeun.’ The older girl walks over and hugs her tightly in greeting. ‘Ready to get baking?’ Yerim excitedly cheers and Jinsol hoots behind them before wrapping Jungeun into a back hug. ‘Chef Jungeun, please show us the way!’ Laughing together, the girls get to baking, with Yerim and Jungeun doing the most work. Jinsol helps by cleaning up around them and taste testing.

 

I’m wanting it desperately

For their heart to be the same as mine

 

***

 

Yeojin makes sure her room is somewhat presentable for when Yerim arrives. They’d made plans for her to stay over so Jinsol and Jungeun could spend Christmas eve together alone. Excited to have her best friend over, Yeojins sings and dances around her room, making sure all her plushies are neatly arranged on her big bed. Having Yerim over always ended in cuddling up between the plushies and pillows while watching movies and she hopes tonight won’t be much different. She kneels next to her bed and pulls a small box from underneath it, wrapped in glittery purple wrapping paper. Blushing, she sets it back carefully and moves to get dressed in her favourite christmas sweater. It’s green with a silly frog wearing a Christmas hat on the front.

 

What about us?

You and I made my heart flutter

 

‘Yeojin, can you get the door?’ Smiling widely, she hops over at her sister’s request and braces herself with a deep breath before opening the door widely. ‘YERIMMIE!’ Yerim’s smile lights up the place more than any of her mother’s decorations ever could. The older girl greets her with equal excitement and energy. ‘YEOJINNIE!’ The girls hug each other tightly, Jungeun and Jinsol smiling at them from the doorstep. ‘Mind if we come in?’ Yeojin quickly pulls away and blushes, letting them all into the warmth of their home. ‘Of course, sorry. Happy holidays, guys!’ The trio smiles widely and returns the sentiment. ‘Thanks, Yeojin. Happy holidays to you as well.’ Yeojin helps them hang their coats in the closet and leads them into the living room where Haseul and her mom have just finished setting down the last cups.

 

‘Welcome! Happy holidays.’ Everyone shares greetings and hugs, Haseul settling into one of the couches with Jinsol and Jungeun, catching up with them. Their mother goes to fetch their father from the garden and Yeojin takes a seat by the fireplace with Yerim. She grabs the older girl’s hands and rubs them between her own. ‘Did you forget your gloves again?’ Yerim blushes and nods, letting Yeojin warm her up. Yerim has a tendency of forgetting her gloves and scarf, which often leads to Yeojin lending hers to the older girl or warming her up. ‘Thanks, Yeo.’ It’s the younger’s turn to blush but she blames it on the heat of the fire near them. ‘You want some hot cocoa?’ Yerim smiles widely, the kind of smile that makes her eyes turn into crescent moons, the kind of smile that makes Yeojin’s heart skip a beat.

 

Hope we’ll be a bit closer

Come to me today

 

Yeojin makes sure Yerim gets her favourite cup. It has small purple bats all over it. Adding whipped cream and marshmallows to the hot chocolate milk, she carefully walks back to the living room, trying to not spill any of it. ‘Yeojin, omg that’s much too full!’ Her mother is worried about her carpet potentially getting stained by Yeojin’s concoction but she somehow manages to hand the cup over to Yerim safely, who chuckles and takes a bite from the whipped cream tower. Yeojin smiles happily and leans over, wiping some whipped cream off of Yerim’s nose. Jinsol and Haseul share a look before taking a sip from their own drinks. Jungeun shakes her head and leans against Jinsol, engaging in conversation with Haseul’s mother.

 

After finishing her hot chocolate, Yerim feels much warmer and she happily follows Yeojin to her room to set her backpack down and watch a movie before dinner. ‘What do you want to watch?’ Yerim shrugs and throws herself on Yeojin’s comfortable bed. She sinks into the numerous plushies underneath her and closes her eyes contently. ‘Yerim! C’mon, sleeping later, movie now!’ Yerim ignores her and smiles when Yeojin decides to jump on her back. ‘Hey, wake up!’ Yerim simply tries to hold back her laughter as Yeojin whines and shakes her around. Frowning, Yeojin thinks of her best course of action. Smirking, she leans down next to Yerim’s ear. Yerim blushes when she feels her soft breath against her skin. ‘Yerimmie, please wake up so we can watch a movie and cuddle?’ She can hear the pout in her voice and melts. Suddenly she’s flipped over and laughing loudly as Yeojin launches a tickle attack. ‘Or face the consequences!’

 

What about us?

For us to spend together

For a white Christmas to come,

I’m waiting

 

Smiling, the girls settle on the bed, Yerim snuggled up against Yeojin, her head on the smaller girl’s chest as they watch the third Harry Potter film, one of Yerim’s favourites. Yeojin lazily runs her hand through Yerim’s dark brown locks, barely focusing on the movie. She nuzzles her head against Yerim’s and simply enjoys their close proximity. Once the movie ends, Yerim stretches and looks up at Yeojin, who’s close to falling asleep. ‘Hey, you weren’t even watching, were you?’ Yeojin blushes and pushes Yerim off her. ‘Whatever, you’re comfy and warm, okay?’ She gets up out of bed. At that time, Haseul’s voice is heard from the bottom of the staircase.

 

‘Time for dinner! Let’s go! C’mon girls!’ Yerim and Yeojin shout down a ‘yes’ and Yeojin turns off her laptop before walking downstairs, Yerim in tow. Once downstairs, they find everyone already seated around the dining table, waiting for them. Yeojin slides out Yerim’s chair for her with a grin, and takes a seat next to her. Yeojin’s parents share a smile and quickly push the girls to eat to their heart’s content. Everyone digs in, chatting and smiling over the delicious meal. As per usual, Yerim and Yeojin end up trying to outdo each other, and eat way too much. Haseul and Jinsol suggest they take a walk together, to walk it off.

 

With a beating heart

Wearing white clothes

 

Yeojin helps Yerim into her white coat and makes sure to hand her some spare gloves, securing a scarf and hat on the older girl to keep her warm. Smiling softly, Yerim takes Yeojin’s hand in hers tightly, pulling her outside. Snow slowly twirls around them, being swayed by the wind until finally falling to the streets, sticking to the rests of snow. Walking close together to keep warm, they fall into a sweet silence. Yeojin clings tightly to Yerim, occasionally slipping on patches of ice along the sidewalk. ‘Just hold onto my arm, Yeo.’ Grateful, Yeojin wraps her arm around Yerim’s and locks their hands again.

 

Under the colourful tree lights

To the sparkling streets

Clean bell sounds by my ear,

smile with each step

 

They decide to take a small walk around the block, admiring the Christmas decorations on the streets and people’s front yards. ‘I really like how you decorated your tree by the way.’ Yerim blushes and sniffles at the cold air. She’d sent Yeojin a picture before they left to get to her house. ‘Thanks. I like it too.’ Smiling at each other, the pair look over at the park on the corner of the street. A few parents are out with their kids, letting them get their energy out before bed. Yeojin tugs Yerim along with a wide grin and the latter follows with a soft chuckle. They end up pushing each other on the swing set and Yeojin decides to show off by climbing around one of the climbing sets. ‘Look how high I got!’ Yeojin poses with a hand on her hip and sports a proud look on her face. Yerim shakes her head and takes a few pictures of her before ushering her to come back down. ‘Well done, Yeojin! Now get down here before you hurt yourself!’ Yeojin laughs and slowly starts descending, careful to stay in one piece.

 

I have a good feeling about today

Christmas time that makes my heart flutter

 

Yerim blushes as Yeojin jumps down in front of her, bowing and holding out her hand. ‘M’lady, apologies for the wait. Would you accompany me back home?’ Biting her lip, Yerim silently takes Yeojin’s gloved hand in hers and pulls her closer. ‘Why of course!’ Yeojin chuckles and wraps their arms around each other again, walking back towards her house. Yerim can’t help but feel happy as she’s walking against Yeojin. She has to keep her from slipping on ice a few more times, and they laugh it off every time. She’s happy as long as Yeojin is by her side.

 

Returning to Yeojin’s house, they find everyone getting their coats on. ‘Ah, you’re just in time! Your father is lighting up the fire pit out in the garden. Let’s all enjoy the rest of the evening on the terrace and watch the fireworks!’ Nodding happily, Yerim and Yeojin follow them to the back, smiling as the heat from the fire pit reaches them. They settle on one of the cushioned benches around it and take a cup of hot tea from Haseul gratefully. ‘Feeling better after your walk?’ Jinsol winks at the pair, causing Yerim to blush furiously. Yeojin laughs and nods. ‘Yeh, we ended up playing a bit at the park at the end of the street.’ The adults all laugh at their antics and fall into comfortable silence, just admiring the snowfall and fire.

 

Waiting for Santa all night

This feeling of greeting a young day

 

‘It’s beautiful, isn’t it?’ Everyone nods at Jungeun’s comment, Jinsol wrapping her arm around her tightly, leaning back on the bench. Turning her head, Yerim comes face to face with Yeojin, who had been staring at her. The younger blushes and takes a sip from her tea. ‘When will the fireworks start?’ Haseul checks her phone and turns to Yerim. ‘To avoid waking up the kids in the neighbourhood, it’ll be 10 pm until 10:15 pm. So, another 15 minutes, wow time goes fast when you’re having fun.’ Jinsol chuckles and agrees, patting Haseul on the back. ‘Hey, shall we take some pictures together to commemorate tonight?’ Everyone eagerly nods and Jungeun gets up. ‘I brought my camera and tripod in case. I’ll go get them from the car quickly.’ Jinsol smiles and moves to help her out.

 

I feel like you will secretly come to me

So I turned around to look

 

Smiling widely, they all look into Jungeun’s camera lens. ‘Alright, let’s take a few pictures! I’ve got a remote trigger.’ She shows the small device in her hand as she walks back to the fire pit once her camera is properly set up. Everyone huddles together as she joins and counts down. ‘3, 2, 1, Smile!’ They all take a few pictures together, with silly poses and simple smiling ones. Jungeun moves her tripod inside and holds her camera as the fireworks will start soon. She hopes to get some nice shots of them going off, having brought her night lens. ‘Look, there!’ A thread of light is seen shooting across the sky for a few moments before loudly exploding into thousands of small light particles. After that, more follow, in a range of colours and forming different shapes. They all watch in awe, eyes twinkling as their heads are tilted up at the colourful sky.

 

What I’ve been dreaming of every day,

I want to receive a confession tonight

 

Yeojin looks away for a moment, turning to Yerim, who’s hand is holding hers as they stand in the middle of the garden, watching the fireworks. The fireworks reflect in Yerim’s eyes, her grin lighting up her surroundings. Her nose is slightly red from the cold, as are her cheeks. Yeojin thinks she’s never seen anyone as beautiful. She takes a shaky breath and tightly holds Yerim’s hand, who pulls her closer against her side, without looking away from the fireworks. Yerim’s smile seems to grow even more with Yeojin stuck to her side tightly, warmth emanating from both of their bodies.

 

Once the fireworks are over, they all retreat inside. Her father takes a moment to clean up and make sure the fire pit is safely extinguished. Jinsol and Jungeun give everyone a tight hug, wishing them a good night and Merry Christmas before heading back home. After helping their mother clean up, Haseul retreats to her room. Yeojin and Yerim decide to watch more movies in Yeojin’s room before going to bed.

 

In that moment, if white snow falls

It’ll be the Christmas of my imagination

 

In their pyjamas, the girls are comfortably watching a movie, cuddled together on Yeojin’s bed, most of the stuffed toys having been thrown off already. After a while, Yeojin turns to look at her alarm clock, heart beating in her chest. She sits up, bringing Yerim up with her. ‘What’s up?’ Yerim frowns, as they’re only halfway through the movie. Yeojin moves forward to pause the film and push her laptop aside. Yerim notices Yeojin’s small hands shaking as she does so, her eyes nervously looking around. ‘Yeojin?’ She reaches out a hand, laying it on her shoulder in concern. She’s not used to seeing Yeojin so nervous.

 

Lovely sound of laughter,

slight melody on top

Night of dancing stars on the street

Unforgettable Christmas time

 

Yeojin gets off the bed slowly, and kneels beside it, reaching underneath. Yerim sits up on her knees and tries to look over the edge but Yeojin’s head quickly pops up again. Yeojin shoots her an awkward smile, her cheeks turning more and more red by the second. Before she can once again ask what’s wrong, Yeojin pushes a small present forward. ‘Merry Christmas, Yerim.’ Yerim smiles softly, noticing it indeed is officially Christmas day, the alarm clock on Yeojin’s nightstand indicating it’s 3 minutes past midnight. ‘Yeojin, aren’t we supposed to open the presents with everyone else in the morning?’ She appreciates the sweet gesture but they’d agreed that even Jungeun and Jinsol would come over in the morning so everyone could open their presents together.

 

You approach me secretly and sweetly

At the scent that grazes my shoulder

 

Yeojin shakes her head, looking down and clasping her hands together. They feel clammy and she can feel her cheeks heat up. ‘N-not this one. Just, open it, please?’ Yerim nods slowly, reaching out a hand to gently squeeze Yeojin’s hands in an effort to calm her down. ‘I will. Thank you, Yeo.’ She carefully pulls at the ribbon and starts peeling away the wrapping paper carefully. Yeojin waits, standing by her bed with bated breath. Yerim gets to the box, and takes the lid off slowly. For some reason, she’s starting to feel nervous. Inside the box, is a small key with a frog and bat keychain on it. Yerim takes it out and lays it in her palm looking at it in confusion. ‘Yeojinnie, what’s this key for?’

 

One person who I’ve been waiting for like a present

I can see you

 

Yeojin takes a deep breath and finally looks up to meet Yerim’s eyes. She reaches into her own shirt, pulling out a locket pendant in the shape of a heart. She leans forward, showing it to Yerim. The older girl frowns and leans in, noticing a small key hole on the side of the locket. ‘Can I?’ Yeojin nods and watches as Yerim gently takes the locket from her hands, putting the small key in and turning it. The locket springs open, revealing a picture of the both of them alongside a small inscription. ‘Home…’ Yerim tears up and looks at Yeojin, whose face is close due to her having to lean in to show the pendant.

 

The moment we shyly stand facing each other

The two hands you hold out

 

Yerim lets go of the pendant and Yeojin takes the opportunity to sit on the edge of the bed and take the older girl’s hands in hers bravely. With determination in her eyes, she speaks softly. ‘I remember when we first met. You had just moved into town with your sister, looking to move on from the past. You always smiled at everyone and cheered everyone up. But the first time we spoke, I found you at the park near school, crying under a tree.’ Yerim’s tears slowly slip down her cheeks, hands shaking in Yeojin’s hold. Yeojin scoots closer, running her thumbs along Yerim’s hand in comfort. ‘I couldn’t believe a girl so cheerful, beautiful, and kind could look so sad. But you’re only human, and we all have our demons. That day, we became best friends, and I vowed to protect you from whatever is bad in the world.’

 

Holding your warm hand

We walk together and look at the sky

 

‘At some point I realised, the one thing you were uncertain about anymore was home. It took you awhile to get through things with Jinsol, and I’m sure you can call your apartment home now, finally.’ She takes a deep breath and releases one of her hands from holding Yerim’s to cup her cheek gently, thumb wiping away tear streaks. ‘But I know the thought lingers in your heart. I know you have nightmares of Jinsol leaving like your parents did.’ Yerim whimpers and leans into Yeojin’s hold, heart feeling heavy at her best friend’s words. ‘And I don’t ever want you to be sad. At some point along the way, I realised I want to be your home, Yerim. I’ll always be your best friend no matter what, but I can’t deny the fact that along the way I’ve fallen for you. With this pendant and key, I want to show you you have the key to my heart, your home, if you’ll have it…’ Yeojin stares into Yerim’s teary eyes, waiting for an answer. Her heart is threatening to beat out of her chest.

 

Full in that sky

Full in my heart

 

Just as Yeojin is about to pull her hand back, taking the silence as an answer, Yerim leans forward and kisses her sweetly, arms moving up and wrapping around Yeojin. Yeojin startles but kisses back, caressing Yerim’s cheek. They both end up breaking the kiss because they’re smiling too widely, heads leaning against each other. ‘Yeojin, from the moment we met, I knew you were special. You’ve always been a troublemaker and mischievous, but I think the worst you’ve ever done is steal my heart.’ Yerim’s voice cracks with emotion and Yeojin is quick to pull her into a tight hug, tears springing in her own eyes. ‘Yerimmie, I love you. Will you be my girlfriend?’ Yerim laughs at the silly question and breaks out of the hug to look her in the eye, running a hand through Yeojin’s hair. ‘I would love nothing more.’ The pair cuddle up under the covers, a wide grin on their faces as they struggle to fall asleep.

 

White snow is falling

Dream-like Christmas time

 

The following morning, the duo walks downstairs hand in hand, and when Yerim and Yeojin share a kiss under the mistletoe her sister had so sneakily hung up at the living room entrance, with soft smiles and blushes on their faces, nobody commented. Everyone simply smiles, offering them breakfast and silently congratulating them for finally taking the step. Haseul and Jinsol share a high-five behind their back, Jungeun rolling her eyes and enjoying her coffee. They open their presents together, grateful for all they’ve received and those they’re with. Yerim however, looks over at Yeojin, a gentle look in her eyes. In her heart, Yeojin will always be the best present.

 

Oh, Christmas time