Made in Taiwan

Her Love Line
Little Tzuyu lives alone with her grandma, but she never feels lonely.
Not when the girl next door always trespasses her house like she owns it.
 
TW: Mention of death (minor characters), bullying, racism
Asterisk (*): Time jump

 


 

Chou Tzuyu is one really precious kid. Her parents had been wishing for a child for five years of their marriage, and to be granted one daughter was all they could have asked for. She was cherished a lot by family and relatives alike, growing up to be an obedient and kind child who is intelligent and independent, even as a toddler. It is family tradition that the first born of the first son is to receive all the blessings of the ancestors and relatives, including wealth and status.

But greed is every man’s disease.

Misfortune befall little Tzuyu, resulting in the loss of both her parents at the young age of six, along with the pride she holds as a Chou. Perhaps, she wasn’t really blessed by the ancestors; a curse, as her aunty claimed. She was forsaken by the whole Chou like a plague, abandoned to her own streak of bad luck.

The girl didn’t understand anything from the mistreatment; she only knows she needed to smile. It was the last request from her mother before her parents went off for an errand in the city, to never return again.

 

“Zi Yu, you know what I love the most about you?”

She shook her head with a frown.

“It’s your smile, honey.” Her chubby cheeks lifted, mirroring her mother’s as the latter pokes the dimple on her left cheek. “And this lovely spot here.”

She lets out a giggle as it tickles. She was given a kiss on her forehead, longer than the usual.

“No matter what happens, Mom and Dad love you. Remember that, okay?”

“Okay, Mom.”

“Don’t forget to keep that smile on your face, Zi Yu.” Her father ruffled her hair playfully, earning a gleeful laughter from his child.

“I know.” She nodded, her grin never leaving her face. “I love both of you, too. Come back soon!”

 

The grin did leave her face, sadly. The warm feeling on her forehead from her mother’s kiss was still vivid, it almost felt like it was just yesterday when she bid them farewell for their journey. She didn’t mind the insult and name-calling from her cousins, along with the scornful look and cold treatment of her uncles and aunties. She smiled because that’s the only thing that makes her feel closer to her mother and father. The exploitation didn’t end there; they started calling her crazy. Her smile was not pretty, it was silly. Her speech was not proper, it was ludicrous. Her appearance was not prim, it was unkempt. These words keep getting provocative and offensive, Tzuyu wanted nothing more than to disappear. She preferred to be on her own, to the point she’s starting to feel the loneliness creeping in.

That’s when she received a visit from a stranger; an old lady from a land far away. The way she greet her, hug her, and kiss her, all of them reminds her of a familiar warmth. It was when she observed the similar smile on the old lady that she recalls; they resembled her mother.

“I’m sorry for not coming sooner.”

“It’s okay, grandma…”

Indeed, she really didn’t mind. Finally, someone is taking her away from this forsaken mansion of hell. Someone she can call, family. A mother of her mother, who wouldn’t judge her for being a curse, a pest, a stranger in the household. No questions were given to the woman when they pack her stuff and leave behind all the judging stares and emotionless farewell as they sneer in satisfaction. Tzuyu had sworn to herself she would follow her grandmother anywhere, even to the deepest of slums, as long as it’s out of this place she once called home. Surprisingly, she was glad she did that because for the first time in months after her parents’ death, her chest feels light and warm, like she can breathe, finally.

She didn’t know where South Korea was, or how far it is from her hometown. She agreed to live there with her grandmother without any objection. It sounds lovely to her ears, better than her previous home. They made a stop in a small town, to be met with her young uncle, the youngest brother of her mother she never met. He was nothing alike the many uncles of her father’s side; he is gentle, kind, loving, and most of all, he knows how to make her laugh. Tzuyu warms up to him immediately. He too, agreed to live in South Korea since he was all alone in this place too.

Tzuyu thought Korea would be similar as her hometown in Taiwan. She was definitely wrong. Everywhere she looked, everywhere she went, it was foreign. She didn’t understand a thing, only relying on her grandmother to relay what’s going on. She found out her uncle would be living in a dorm a town away from them soon. She was a bit saddened, already grown attached to her uncle with 12 years difference in age despite the short duration of time they spent. Tzuyu was afraid of being left, to be alone again because it was not a good feeling, she remembered.

That’s when she was met with her grandmother’s neighbour. She was warned earlier about the little kid of Minatozaki, somewhat rambunctious and mischievous, but a good kid, nonetheless. Her soon to be playmate, her grandma told, since she’s also alone in that house too. Tzuyu was nervous to meet her, but excitement overwhelms the lonely girl once they met. She was stunned to see the girl for the first time; dark brown hair cascading down her shoulders, with similar caramel eyes that shines brightly under the sun. A curious smile etched on her face, along with smudge of dirt painted on her left cheek. She can feel it somewhere deep in her heart, that despite being total opposites, they’re going to work things out somehow.

 

*

 

True to her instinct, they became inseparable despite the two years difference in age. They play together, eat together, study together, even having sleepover on weekends inside their small tree house. They’re like two peas in a pod, Sana’s mother had mentioned. The only downfall of their closeness is their grades. Tzuyu is a grade lower than Sana due to her late enrolment while attending special classes in another school. Knowing Sana, the latter had done her thorough research about new student registration for Tzuyu to join in her class. It was to the extent that she persuaded her mother and pestering Tzuyu’s grandmother every single day, which caused them to concede to her request. Sure enough, Sana was ecstatic to hear the eight years old Tzuyu is going to be in her school next week.

“Chewyyyy!”

Tzuyu jumps down the stairs two steps at a time, making a beeline to the kitchen before snatching her lunchbox and an apple for breakfast. Just as she was about to reach the front door, a figure blocks her way.

“Where do you think you’re going, young lady?”

She gulped, frozen on the spot. Her grandmother’s strictness is never to be mess with. She can be a loving Mother Theressa and a commanding officer at the same time.

“Umm, to school?” Tzuyu scratched her cheek nervously.

Her grandmother raised a brow, “Aren’t you forgetting something?”

Tzuyu checks her uniform and her bag; everything’s in place. Her eyes widen when a thought crossed her mind. Sana, who was peeking through the space between the old woman’s leg, watched curiously as her friend drops her bag to get back inside.

“Where is she going?”

“Follow her.”

The woman tilts her head to the direction Tzuyu disappeared to, Sana gladly complies. She followed Tzuyu’s trail and found her friend sitting in front of an altar with two portrait pictures perched atop. She watches silently, listening to the whispering words of prayers by her friend.

“Mom, Dad… I’m going to a new school today with Sana. Please watch over both of us.”

Ending her prayer with a bow, Tzuyu slowly gets on her feet, only to be startled with her friend’s presence, patiently waiting with a gentle smile. Sana reached out a hand, “Let’s go?”

Tzuyu was never one fond of skinship. It was awkward for her since she had void of the emotion of being held after her parents’ death. But here she is, swinging hands with a humming Sana as they make their way to her friend’s school.

Wait, scratch that. It’s her school now, too.

A smile unconsciously made its way to Tzuyu's face, which didn’t go unnoticed by her giddy friend.

“Are you that happy holding hands with me?”

Tzuyu turns to her, a teasing grin plastered on her chubby face. She avoids Sana’s big eyes, suddenly her shoes are more interesting than the morning view. “Not really. It’s a bit embarrassing.”

“Eh? You’re embarrassed walking with me, Chewy?” She panics when a frown replaced Sana’s cheeky smile. She quickly tightens her hold on her friend’s hand as she felt the latter was about to release.

“N-No! It’s not that.” Tzuyu sheepishly rubs her nape. “I like holding hands with you.”

She heard something like a muffled squeal coming from her side, followed by a happy giggle. “Really?”

Tzuyu bobs her head firmly. “Mm.”

“Then never let go, okay?”

“Okay.”

They shared a smile, before Sana realizing they’re going to be late if they’re not moving faster. They barely made it to the gate, the teacher shaking her head disapprovingly. But Sana already got her excuse planned as she mention of Tzuyu’s first day there. She was pardoned with a warning before they were escorted to their class by the teacher. Sana walks Tzuyu to her new class, sadly bidding her farewell and jumping into a good luck pose, before running to her own class on the other side of the building. Tzuyu takes a deep breath as she walks into her new class, hoping things will go well for the day.

“So? How was your first day at the new school?”

Her grandmother eagerly asked the girls as they each take a seat on the dining table. The sour look indicates it didn’t go too well for Tzuyu, that is, before Sana intervenes as she takes a sip of the orange juice on the table belonging to the old woman.

“A boy asked for her number.”

“WHAT?”

Tzuyu groans with palms on her face. She glares at her friend, who shrugs innocently before going to their fridge to rummage for snacks. The old woman is fanning herself with deep breaths, trying to calm down from exploding at this sudden shocking news.

“And then?”

Tzuyu frowns, “He ran away.”

Sana lets out a loud laugh as granny got more confused than she was before. She helps explained from her point of view, mentioning how Tzuyu’s face was so tense from surprise, the boy mistook her blank expression as a deadly glare. The girl in question just hides her heating face as her friend and grandmother cracks so hard from the embarrassing story.

“I think he actually pissed himself.”

“Sana, stop it…” Tzuyu whines but the old woman and her friend only slap their hands together in a high five.

After calming down, much from Tzuyu’s forced begging, the girl finally reveals her first day which didn’t differ much than her previous school. It might take some time for Tzuyu to warm up to her classmates, but so far, everyone had been kind and helpful to her. However, there is one single thing that had been bothering her.

“Saa-chan?”

The said girl, who is munching on her sandwich after forcing granny to make one for her, turns her attention to her friend.

“Hm?”

“Why is everyone asking me about you?”

“Well…” She ponders for a while, only to give a nonchalant shrug. “Beats me.”

Tzuyu found out the answer to her question after observing Sana in school, which was a different version of her friend when she’s at home. The rowdy and loud Sana that she knows, turns into a really prim and gentle person with a friendly aura surrounding her. It was the total opposite of who Sana is, and she was confused of this dual personality of hers.

“Eh? Is that so?” Tzuyu had told Sana of her concern, which the latter didn’t find it surprising at all. “I didn’t realize it, actually. That’s just how I normally act around people.”

“But you’re different when you’re with me.”

Sana tilts her head to the ceiling for a moment, before giving a wide smile to her friend. “I guess that’s the real side of me that only you know, Chewy!”

She frowns, not really understanding the meaning. “What does that mean?”

“Let’s just say, it is our little secret that only you have the privilege of!” Sana winks, before giggling to herself and leave her friend stunned from the new information.

The next few days went well for Tzuyu after coming to term with the reason behind Sana’s popularity, despite the unwanted attention she received for being close with “Sana-unnie” and getting questions about her, boys and girls alike. Being the well-mannered kid she is, Tzuyu politely refuse the letters and gifts they had requested to pass to her popular friend, who seems unbothered with the fame. Sana casually shooed Tzuyu’s classmates away during lunchbreak as she drags the younger to their favourite spot for lunch. They share their lunchbox together, mostly Sana stealing from Tzuyu’s with the sole reason that her mother is not a good cook. Of course, it was just an excuse by her silly friend to share their meal because Tzuyu actually likes aunty’s “exquisite” cooking.

“Should I start calling you “unnie”, too?”

“Eh? Why?”

“Everyone in class calls you Sana-unnie. I just thought that since I’m younger than you, I should do the same.”

Sana frowns from the reasons, “Are you uncomfortable with it?”

“Not really… It’s just –” Sana waits patiently, her gentle eyes prodding her friend that it’s fine to tell her. “Won’t it be kind of rude to you?”

“I don’t really mind.”

“Still…”

Sensing the dissatisfaction in her voice, Sana responds back. “What about you?”

“Hm?”

“What do you feel about this?”

Tzuyu kept mum, contemplating her answer. It wasn’t a big issue for her, but the fact that calling Sana with an “unnie” somehow sounds more appropriate and endearing after listening from the others just makes her uneasy. She just want to try it and to fulfil her curiosity.

“I… still feel like it’s better if I call you like that.”

“Try it.”

“What?”

“Call my name.”

Her tongue feels a bit weird as the word rolled out from her lips. “Sana… unnie?”

“Oh, come on… Do it properly, Tzuyu!”

“Sana-unnie?” She tried it faster this time, the words blend perfectly well together.

“Yes?” Sana answered back with a teasing smile.

“Sana-unnie.”

Sana doesn’t know how to explain it, but it has a nice feel to it. It’s pleasant to her ears along with some fuzzy feeling she can’t describe. She’s starting to like it; and Tzuyu does too. It’s something new for the younger girl, but she feels a sense of fondness when she said it out loud. A feeling only both of them understand.

“Alright, I approve!”

“Eh, that’s it?”

“What else do you want, my dear dongsaengieee~?” She nuzzles on Tzuyu’s neck while patting her head, the latter giggling from the ticklish sensation.

“Stop it, Sana-unnie!”

“What did you say?”

“I said, stop it unnieee!” She prolongs the last word, just to mess with Sana.

“Cute.” The older whispered to herself, but Tzuyu caught it nonetheless, her ears slowly getting red. She quickly changed the subject before she became the subject of ridicule.

“Ah, I forgot to tell you something the other day when we went to the park.”

“What, what?” Sana excitedly asked, her body jumping up and down.

“I saw a squirrel eating on a tree and felt something familiar about it.” Tzuyu smirks mischievously. “It was you, when you were stuffing the whole donut in one bite. You and the squirrel really look alike, unnie.”

“What?!” Sana cries out in disbelief with this newfound information.

“Wait, on second thought, whatever you do resembles a squirrel.”

Tzuyu suppressed a laugh about to bubble up from at the sight of the squirrel look-alike pouting with her protruding lips and chubby cheeks. Definitely a human squirrel, she thought.

“Oh yeah? Well…” Sana paused, eyes straying everywhere before they landed on Tzuyu’s face. “Ah! You have a hole on your cheek when you smile. Take that!”

She loudly laughs while clapping her hands in joy from her quick comeback, but soon stops when she see a frown appearing on Tzuyu’s face.

“W-What? What’s wrong?” She asked while trying to catch Tzuyu’s wandering eyes, the girl keeping her stares on her lap before glancing up with a dejected look.

“Is it weird?”

Weird was an understatement; it was the most amazing thing aside from Tzuyu’s smile. Taking her friend’s hand, Sana gives a warm encouraging smile to the sad girl.

“Yeah, it’s weird.” Sana squeezed their joined hands gently, poking the invisible spot of Tzuyu’s dimple. “Because it makes your smile prettier.”

Truth to be told, the pretty smile appeared along with red hues colouring the tan complexion of Tzuyu’s face. Sana can’t seem to get enough of the view, she wants to imprint her friend’s face in her mind. If only they can borrow her mother’s LG phone. But for now, this front seat live view is enough. They’re going to spend most of their time together anyway now that nothing is in the way of their friendship.

 

*

 

Except, bad things did get in the way when Sana noticed her friend was acting weird. Tzuyu wasn’t fond of skinship, she knew that. A few days back, she was rejected when she reached out for Tzuyu’s hand, the younger saying she has cooties. Not that Sana believed it, but she accepts anyway. However, refusing to walk together to school and having separate lunch is a bit too much. The main reason she requested for the transfer was so she could have Tzuyu as her partner, in like, literally everything. She asked many questions, whether she’s hating Sana or getting bored of Sana’s presence to having an unknown infectious disease with complicated names. Tzuyu merely shrugs it off, ignoring Sana for the whole day.

If only the older girl knows the truth, Tzuyu is sure she would be disappointed with her. A boy of Sana’s grade had confronted her the other day, confessing he likes Sana so Tzuyu should back off. The innocent girl didn’t pay any heed since she didn’t really understand what it meant. The next following day, he got his point across, stating that Tzuyu is a nuisance to the popular girl and since they’re always together, he didn’t get the chance to talk to Sana. Tzuyu was dumbfounded because she never meant to be a bother to anyone, let alone Sana. Because of her gullibility, Tzuyu listened to the boy, despite Sana’s whining and persistent forcing.

However, it wasn’t enough. The boy came searching for her again in class when everyone had left for PE session. Tzuyu quietly sits on her table, waiting anxiously what his intention is. It was horrible, and Tzuyu was almost close to crying.

“Yah, chinese girl. Are you stupid or something?”

Tzuyu kept mum, scared to say a word to the taller boy looming over her figure.

“Yeah, you’re definitely stupid. You’re just a nobody who came from a stinky country. No wonder your parents left you.”

Her eyes were wet but Tzuyu stopped the tears from falling.

“You just need to do one thing.” He scoffed, before getting his face closer, invading Tzuyu’s space. “Stay away from Sana. You’re not worthy of her time, so just disappear from here.”

He pushed Tzuyu’s shoulder roughly with a satisfied smirk.

“Or better yet, just die.”

Tzuyu quickly gets on her feet as the boy left, running to the washroom and locking herself inside a cubicle. She didn’t cry, she told herself not to but it was too painful to bear. It was the same hurtful feeling she felt when she was alone with the Chou family. The words were similar, but this time they cut deeper. She didn’t understand it before, because she was a kid. A kid who only knew how to smile despite the daily verbal abuse she received. She’s growing now and she’s grateful with what she has, with a loving family and caring friend, but some wounds do take time to heal.

Tzuyu took a day off as she reasoned with her grandmother that she’s not feeling well, which saddens Sana the most. The girl insists that she will take care of Tzuyu but failed after getting into an argument with granny. She was chased away with a pout. That day, Sana was a bit aloof which didn’t go unnoticed by her friends. She was surprised though when one of her classmates gave a note from a boy, stating he wanted to meet her during lunch.

“I like you.”

“Thank you.” Sana smiled apologetically, “But I don’t feel the same and I don’t know you.”

“Why not?” He grabs Sana’s wrist, causing the girl to wince in pain. “We can get to know each other, I know you’ll like me later.”

“I’m really sorry but can you please let go?” He was reluctant at first, but obeyed after seeing Sana’s discomfort. “Is it because of your friend? That chinese girl.”

“Eh? You mean, Tzuyu?” Sana deeply frowns with the way he addressed her friend. “What does Tzuyu have to do with this?”

Sana can see how he clenches his jaw in frustration, before turning around. “Nevermind.”

Sana was happy Tzuyu is finally back to school, despite the cold treatment she received. She figured the girl is still recovering. She keeps her distance from Tzuyu, not wanting to annoy her too much even though her hand is itching to have any kind of contact with her friend. Just as the bell rings for lunchbreak, Sana hurriedly made her way to Tzuyu’s class, only to find the latter already gone. She asked of Tzuyu’s whereabouts from her classmates, a girl suddenly squealing as she mentions Tzuyu meeting with a boy from higher grade. Remembering the boy who had confessed to her, Sana rushed to find her friend.

She was met with Tzuyu being bounded between the boy and a wall as he yells hurtful things to the poor girl. Feeling angered, Sana shouts at him before giving a strong push, causing the boy to fall on the ground. She pulls Tzuyu closer, wrapping the trembling girl in an embrace. The boy was whimpering in pain but a glare from Sana was enough to silenced him. Sana brought Tzuyu to the infirmary, not once letting go of their hands even when the school nurse is checking her friend for any injury. Thankfully she wasn’t hurt, but she was advised to rest anyway.

“I’m sorry…” Tzuyu voiced out after a moment of silence between them.

“Why are you apologizing?”

“I’m a bother to you, aren’t I?” She tried pulling way, but Sana added another hand to keep the girl closer.

“What? No! Why would you think like that?” Tzuyu kept mum but Sana recalls the scene earlier. He was shouting things, bad things that must have affected Tzuyu so much. “He said something, didn’t he?”

She slowly nods.

“What did he said?”

“That… That I’m a bother to you and everyone. That I don’t belong here.”

The crease forming on Tzuyu’s forehead showed how hard she’s trying to keep those thoughts away. Sana quickly engulfs her in a tight hug. “That’s not true, Tzuyu. You were never a bother, not to me, or granny, even Mama and Papa.”

“B-But…” Sana let go, holding Tzuyu’s sad face in her hands. Her chest squeezed in pain seeing Tzuyu trying hard to hold her tears.

“I love having you here, Tzuyu. You are my friend, my bestfriend, and I wouldn’t want you anywhere but here with me. Okay?”

Tears started flowing down her eyes as she buries her face on Sana’s chest. The latter holds her tighter, whispering words of comfort to console her crying friend. It was the first time she sees Tzuyu shed tears and being this devastated. Even when they conversed about Tzuyu’s late parents, the girl was always smiling despite the painful glint in her eyes. Sana had heard granny telling some stories of the mistreatment she received in Taiwan, all alone with no one to lean on. She was glad she was the one who caught Tzuyu in her devastating state this time.

“Never do that again…" Sana pulled away, a hand prodding Tzuyu's chin to look at her. "Never keep things from me again. Okay, Tzuyu-yah?”

“Okay.”

“Promise?” Sana asked, raising her hand for their secret signature handshake.

“Yeah.” Tzuyu chortles as she responded happily, “Promise.”

 

*

 

When her parents were still alive, Tzuyu was never lonely as all the Chou live in a big household consist mostly of her father’s siblings. She was surrounded by people almost every moment, no matter the ages. The place was lively and never quiet. Sometimes, she does miss the chaotic atmosphere of those people she once called family, but living with her grandmother was not so bad after all. Despite living with only one person, she never once felt lonely when a neighbour is always trespassing her home like she owns it.

“I live here longer than you did, Chewy!”

Was her reasoning, but everyone knows she’s just too smitten to part from Tzuyu even for a second. The latter doesn’t mind at all, the Minatozaki are almost like a second family to her and Sana’s presence brings wonder to her, things that Tzuyu never get to do when she was a little kid. Sometimes other people had mistaken them as sisters, the two girls always sticking together wherever they go.

Just like right now, where her grandmother is being bombarded by a few acquainted sellers of the street market with questions whether she’s taking care of another grandchild. Tzuyu glances to her side, the said girl happily skipping while browsing the goods inside a stall, oblivious with the whispers and curious stare. Her grandmother merely laughs, stating she’s just a neighbour’s daughter who likes to follow her around like a parasite. Truth to be told, Sana is indeed a parasite, with the way she’s requesting grandma to buy things for her without any shame. Instead of being bothered by the close relationship that was built before she came, Tzuyu actually enjoys the childish bantering of her friend and grandmother while she giggles on the side as their silent spectator.

Her friend was pouting after getting scolded for being so loud and jumpy, before pulling Tzuyu away from the glaring granny to another stall. They made a stop at a trinket shop; the adorable and shiny little charms and key chains caught their interests. Sana is the only one mostly fascinated, squealing at the sight of cute animal key chains on display. Tzuyu wasn’t much far behind too, except she was a bit more calm; only her eyes are twinkling in admiration of the little animals she adores.

“Nee, nee, Chewy!”

“Yeah?” She replied without taking her eyes off of the varieties of cow plushies hanging on the rack.

“Let’s buy one.”

She frowns, remembering her empty pocket. “But I don’t have any money with me right now.”

“It’s okay.” Sana waves her off. “I’ll just buy one for you as a gift for your birthday.”

She got surprised at the absurdity of Sana’s reason, her 12th birthday already forgotten. “But that was months ago.”

“Exactly!” She stated nonchalantly, “I didn’t get you a present yet, did I?”

“It’s fine, unnie. It's just a birthday, nothing important.”

“No, it’s not!” She picked one and shows it to the younger girl, “What about this?”

Tzuyu smiles at the black and white cow keychain, “It’s cute.”

Sana huffed, not satisfied with this kind of reaction. “You know what? I’ll just get one without you knowing so go away, Tzuyu!”

“Did you just chase me away?”

“Yes I did, now go!”

Tzuyu laughed while shaking her head, giving in as she relocates to a nearby stall. She peeks on her friend when an idea flies into her head. She quickly approaches her grandmother and asked for some money, which the latter gladly gives without any question, knowing Tzuyu never ask for something without a reason. The girl waits for Sana to finish her shopping before she shoves her towards her grandmother.

“Grandma asked you to carry her things.”

“Eh, why should I?”

“She’s buying you hotteok later.”

Her eyes widen at the mention of the sweet snack, “Granny, you want me to carry your things? I’ll carry you instead!”

Knowing her plan had worked, she returns to the trinket stall and takes one she was eyeing earlier. Perfect for her Sana-unnie, she thought. She hurriedly pays it before hiding the keychain in her pocket, walking back with a poker face to be met with a huffing Sana with both hands full while whining to her smirking grandmother.

“Yah, granny… are you trying to buy the whole market?”

“Who told you to follow me in the first place?”

“I wanted to follow Tzuyu, not to be your slave!”

Tzuyu snickers at her poor friend as she offers a hand, the girl gladly handing over some. With bags occupying their hands, Sana pouts again. She knows fully what that pout means; Sana is missing her hand to hold. She shrugs with an apologetic smile, before leading them to a stall selling wonderfully smell hotteok.

“Grandma, can we have some?”

Her grandma can never say no to those two, lovely pair of puppy eyes as she nods, motioning them to order some. They reached home with tired legs and numb fingers but smiles are still plastered on their faces. Sana’s ears perked up hearing her mother’s loud voice calling her name for dinner. She puts on her shoes but before she bids her friend goodbye, Sana hands out a small paper bag.

“It’s not much but I hope you will like it. Just to remind you of me, in case you miss your Sana-unnie.” Sana tehee’d while scratching her cheek with a finger sheepishly. Without warning, the older girl placed a kiss on Tzuyu’s dimple, leaving the girl frozen while she happily jumps on her feet with a red face.

“Happy belated birthday, Tzuyu-ah!”

It took a while for Tzuyu to snap out of her dazed state, touching her warm cheek with a dopey grin. She happily accepts the gift, a keychain with a small squirrel plushie attached that exactly resembles Sana munching with full. She giggles to herself, before patting her pocket for Sana’s gift. After dinner, she holes up in her room, busy writing a letter and wrapping Sana’s gift. She looks at her finished creation in satisfaction, placing it in a safe, hidden place as she waits for Sana’s 14th birthday which is just a few weeks away.

 

*

 

It is one in the morning, and it is Sana’s birthday today. Tzuyu takes out the nicely wrapped present, watching it solemnly before putting the squirrel keychain beside it. She mirrored the plushy’s appearance, puffing her cheeks out just for fun. A frown soon appeared as she pokes the squirrel’s cheek, wishing she’s poking the human version instead.

“Happy birthday, Sana-unnie.” She mumbles sleepily, rubbing her tired eyes as she waits by her bedroom window to see the dark house of her neighbour. She’s been doing the same thing every night, waiting patiently by the window while wishing for the presence of her bestfriend running through their backyard and screaming her name in happy jumps. It has been two weeks, but there was no one rushing to her house and annoys her sleeping grandma while yelling her name excitedly, and the noisy house next door had turned quiet since then.

“I miss you, Sana…”

 

 

 


A/N: No more satzu it seems... or is it? Kekeke. Can you guess what happened to Sana? Who do you think will be the characters appearing soon? *dundundunnn*

I'll try to update weekly if this gets more viewers and subscribers. Thank you and take care! ^^