Ch 3

General's Lady: to the Other Side of The Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Being a military man, Chu Xiuming was getting used to get up early in the morning. As for today, he didn’t have the heart to leave his wife, not that he wanted it too. Shen Jin curled next to him with her arm on his waist and head on his chest. He just stared at the mosquito nett covering their bed while caressing his wife’s hair. He reminiscent the first time he met his wife, how he treated her, trying to push her and drive her away. Looking about it now when he almost lost her and their unborn child taught him an important thing.

He shouldn’t take everything for granted.

He thought he could keep her safe by keeping her in the dark about his missions from his family and imperial court.

He thought he could keep her safe by not telling her everything.

He was wrong.

And Chu Xiuming vowed to make everything right since this moment.

He promised to tell Shen Jin everything.

He would do that.

His mind wandered when he reported to His Majesty in the palace the day before.

“Cane to death.”

The Emperor nodded thoughtfully while his uncle only stood in silence.

“I agree with you. Everyone involved in this matter will be sentenced to death, including their families,” His Majesty decreed.

The general gave his respect. “Thank you for considering my advice, Your Majesty.”

The Emperor watched him closely. “And how about you, Earl of Yongning? Will you return to the border after this?”

Xiuming took a deep breath before answering, “I’m afraid I have to go against your order, Your Majesty. My wife needs me and I will be there for her. I’ll return to the border when everything is cleared.”

“Everything is cleared now.”

“Your Majesty, please consider my plea. My family has been loyal to you and I also prove it until this moment. But, Your Majesty, I also loyal to my wife. A man who can’t protect his wife, how can he qualified to protect his country?”

The Emperor blinked while the Eight Prince nodded in agreement.

His Majesty blew a breath. “About this matter, you have no objection at all? About your wife?”

The general shook his head. “It’s a blessing for me to meet my wife and a gift to marry her. Even though unintentionally, Tian has favoured me with a person who I will protect and love all of my life.” He stared at the Emperor. “If Your Majesty meant with the person behind it,” he gritted his teeth, “I will deal with this matter. I’ve been too soft since the beginning because I respect them as Jin’er’s family. But now, they hurt my wife. I vowed not to let everyone who hurt my wife go.”

The Emperor pursed his lips. “What will you do, then? Sentence them to death too?”

“No,” the general answered, his eyes glinted. “They haven’t met the General Demon yet.”

A slight move alerted the general, realising his wife was beginning to stir.

Shen Jin slowly opened her eyes, realising she was still on her husband’s arm and she furrowed her eyebrows when she saw the day was already bright. Her husband usually already went to the court. Why was he still here?

She slowly looked up and met with her husband’s loving eyes.

“My dear?”

“Jin’er, you’re awake. How do you feel?”

The lady blinked and tried to get up with the help of her husband. “Slightly better.” And, she looked at her husband. “My dear, why are you still here? Don’t you suppose to go to the court?”

Xiuming smirked. “Why? You don’t want me here?”

Shen Jin gave him an incredulous look.

The general chuckled and kissed her forehead. “His Majesty gave me permission to stay with you until you’re feeling better.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter