A Christmas Proposal (2018) ❄

A Christmas Love Story

Summary: During a quiet night of helping Taemin decorate his Christmas tree, he ceases the moment to reveal his love for you through fond memories and proposing with his grandmother’s ring.


 

2018

Snow softly falls over the town, blanketing every surface with white powder. The clear night sky showcases a show of dancing stars, twinkling around the main character of the moon. Against the black canvas, they shine brightly as they put on an unforgettable performance before they leave the stage to make room for the sun.

The town, quiet yet full of life, resembles a holiday town you only see in the movies. Yards of garland, multi-colored lights, and thousands of Christmas decorations hang from every building while holiday music waltzes from overhead speakers.

As the early morning hours approach, the town rests peacefully except for you and Taemin, who is gathered around a brightly lit Christmas tree with unopened boxes in front of you.

“I can’t believe I’m actually getting my tree up before Christmas this year,” Taemin says while going through a box of ornaments.

“You did volunteer to host our secret Santa this year. You know Clara would have a fit if you didn’t have a tree up.”

The sound of Taemin’s nervous chuckle grabs your attention. Your eyes squint in his direction as you watch him silently mouth something to himself, his eyes darting from one corner of the box to the other as he taps his fingers against its side. He pauses for a moment when he feels your gaze firmly pressing into his flesh.

Looking up, Taemin gives you a small smile. “I thought I lost something,” he says while rubbing the back of his neck. “I found it.”

Digging into the box, he pulls out the candy cane ornament. A smile grows on your face as its stripes of red glitter shimmers against the tree’s lights. Standing to his feet, Taemin helps you to your feet before tightly holding your hand as he places the ornament near the top of the tree. Against the forest green of the tree, the ornament’s colors boldly stand out.

“Somehow,” Taemin begins, his eyes never leaving the ornament. “I knew you were the one when we first met.”

“How?”

Taemin pauses, silently mumbling to himself before smiling. Slowly, he turns to you as his thumb caresses the top of your hand.

“When you found the crooked carrot in the basket at the snowman making competition.”

You take a moment to allow the memory to dance its way back into your mind. The sweet nostalgia attached to it brings a sense of warmth as you give him a warm gentle smile.

“Your grandmother told you the story of the carrot,” you remember.

Taemin gulps nervously and nods. “She also told me that if she passes, I could give her ring to the girl I want to marry.”

Your eyebrows furrow in confusion before it melts into surprise as Taemin slowly drops to one knee. The Christmas lights make the tears welling in his eyes resemble jewels.

“For 6 years, you’ve been the one I dreamt of. The one I think about day and night. And I don’t want to spend another Christmas not being your husband.” Taemin pauses for a second, choking back his tears while one manages to slip away and slide down your cheek. “I don’t want to spend another year dreaming of marrying you. I want you. I need you. I love you. I love you, ___. I guess that’s a lot to say, will you marry me, ___?”

Tears flow down your face as you squeeze your fingers around Taemin’s hand. “Yes. Yes! A million times, yes!”

A wide smile spreads across Taemin’s face as he slips his grandmother’s vintage emerald ring on your finger. The gold band and emerald stone comfortably rest around your finger glisten under the tree’s lights.

Immediately after slipping the ring on your finger, Taemin wraps his arms around your waist and picks you up, spinning you around before placing you softly back on the ground. Your laughter overfills his heart with joy as he leans down and presses a quick, yet passionate kiss on your lips. Gently, he rests his forehead against yours before slowly breaking the kiss and giving you a bashful smile.

“Merry Christmas, my love.”