You, Me & Ice Skates (2016) ❄

A Christmas Love Story

Summary: Taemin suggests you go on a date to the local ice skating rink. Only problem? He can’t ice skate!


 

2016

Taemin’s hands desperately cling onto your arm as you guide him to the ice. Soft whimpers hum against his lips as he stops on the edge of the rubber floor. His eyes gaze behind you at the ice rink; people of all ages smile as they skate around the rink while holiday music blasts from the speakers overhead. Light projectors project shapes of snowflakes, Christmas trees, stars, and snowmen on the ice in colors of red, green, and gold while star-shaped lights hang from the ceiling above.

His face tightens as he watches a young child glide by him. “I can’t do this.”

“You can do it Tae,” you smile. “Just hold my hands and don’t let go.”

Despite worry flashing across his face, Taemin takes hold of your hands, gripping them tightly as you guide him onto the ice. His grip tightens when he wobbles on the ice. His cheeks begin to turn a pinkish hue when you wrap your arms around his body to hold him up until he gets his footing. The scent of warm hot chocolate lingers on his jacket while the scent of candy cane tickles your nose.

“The trick,” you begin, guiding Taemin to the nearest wall, “is to have even pressure on both feet and just move them like this.”

Taemin’s eyes closely watch your feet before he attempts to copy your moves. One hand tightly holds onto the top of the half-wall as he, shakily, moves forward. A triumphant smile spreads across his face as he skates towards you with his body stiff and arms stretched in front of him.

“You’re doing it, Tae!” You exclaim. You open your arms and encourage Taemin to keep going as you slowly skate backward.

“I got it, I got it, I -” Taemin’s words fall short as he begins to uncontrollably wobble. Unable to get his footing, he falls on his back, his feet flying in the air.

As his body lands on the ice with a thud, his face winces at the quick pain. Your hands clamp around your mouth as you gasp. You hurry to Taemin’s side and kneel beside him. You place a careful hand on his chest that rises and falls as he tries to catch his breath.

“Are you okay?”

Taemin nods and manages to whisper a “yes”.

A moment goes by before you burst into laughter. You lean forward until your forehead is pressed against his chest, hiding your face with his scarf. Taemin’s hand rests against your back as he takes a deep enough breath to laugh along with you. His laughter rumbles in his chest and vibrates against your face; his melodious laughter makes you snuggle closer to his chest before leaning up.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” You ask, gently helping him sit up. Your fingers push his bangs to the side.

“I think I need a hot chocolate,” he groans. He grabs hold of your hands and shakily rises to his feet. “I hate ice skating.”

“But you’re the one who wanted to ice skate!”

Taemin flashes a smile with a wink. “Only because you enjoy it so much.”

His kind gesture makes you look down before looking back up at him. His kind eyes warmly gaze down at you while the tip of his nose turns a pinkish hue. The tip of his tongue pokes out to moisten his lips while his body inches closer to yours. Your fingers intertwine with his, sending a swarm of butterflies in your stomach. The warmth of his body wraps around you as he pulls you closer until your lips meet.

The taste of peppermint on his soft lips intoxicates you. Your lips slowly move against his, savoring each time your lips meet. The moment your arms wrap around his shoulders, you feel yourself fall forward until you land on Taemin’s chest. Stunned, you look down at Taemin with worried eyes and find him laughing to himself. Shaking your head, you try to suppress your chuckle and lean up enough for Taemin to comfortably breathe.

“Okay,” you chuckle with your hand on your chest. “Let’s really get you off the ice.”