Bae Jungyeon, 6 December 2020

In a Snap
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"She wouldn't sleep." Minseok said as he arrived at the Captain's deck where I decided to stay for the night. We transferred Jessica just a room adjacent to this one, though.

"What did you do?" I interrogated.

"Nothing, really."

I looked at him boringly. "Spill it, Minseok."

"Fine." He sighed deeply. "I told her there's already a sequel to the Frozen movie and that kept her mind alive for plot theories she had come up with. She's now occupied talking about it with her Rachel Dictaphone. I didn't realize she's a Disney Princess fan, though, you know."

"You idiot. Every single girl in this World loves Disney Princesses."

"Really? Even you?"

"Yeah. Even me."

"Who's your favorite?"

"Mulan."

"Oh. She's a Disney Princess?"

"Yes. Idiot. Just stop talking to me, will ya. I'm busy here." I continued to watch the CCTV footage of the past months.

Minseok sat beside me, "What are you doing? Creepily watching her videos and see if she got something nasty?"

"No. I'm trying to figure out how did she manage to survive for 853 days in here alone. I mean, look, man. The freezers at the bottom deck were so full of food supplies and I could see in some videos here she eats a lot. Like so much a lot. Then, I saw this one video at the top deck and figured it out. She's shooting birds. She even built thin antennas and equipped them with electricity. She's killing the birds with electricity, man. So freaking cool." I then navigated to another video. "Oh and look at this. She even sewed volleyball nets together and created a pulley out of broken things around for her mass fish catching. She's so freaking resourceful, man. And so talented."

He then laughed, "Dude. Are you freaking switching bias now?"

I looked at him in confusion, "What?"

"Sounds to me you're starting to admire Jessica."

"I do admire Jessica but I just didn't realize she's this good. Look at that pile." I pointed at the desk full of electronic devices. "She dismantled all the available laptops around and took all the hard drives to create a big storage system right there."

"So?"

"It means there's no deleted video in this CCTV system. She had all the 853 days fully backed up. Don't you realize it? She wanted everything saved up for her legacy in case she wouldn't survive. She's leaving all the trace. She's like imparting all the knowledge she learned on being stranded here alone for more than two years. She's going to be written in history with all of these, man. I swear."

I looked at him and continued, "And you know what came into my mind? It's the question of how she ended up knowing all of this stuff." I played another video. "Books. There's a gigantic library on the 3rd-floor deck. She read all the available books, one by one, every day. She studied all the manuals on running this ship. Even VBA for dummies, man. Look at that."

"I see. I see. Hmm." He animatedly rubbed his chin as if thinking of something intently.

"What is it this time, Minseok?"

"The knowledge could have gotten her crazy."

"Crazy? Really? I thought you like her. Now, you're insulting her?"

"I am not insulting her, okay. I am just voicing out my opinion. I think the screws in her head have loosened. She has gone crazy, I swear."

"It could be due to loneliness, man. Her situation can really kill someone emotionally in an instant. If I'm in her place, I wouldn't even survive this long. I might have quit already even just for a hundred days."

"I supposed you're right. I think not only the loneliness too. Look at this storm, man. This could kill anyone."

"Yeah..."

"Dude."

"What?"

He then smiled goofily, "Why are you smiling so weirdly? Are you really falling for her, huh?"

"What? No. Shut up."

"I am pretty sure her boyfriend blipped too, so she's available, man."

"Jessica Jung is straight."

"We all thought half doomsday would never come yet here we are. So, nothing's impossible anymore. Besides..." He started to wiggle his eyebrows so ing irritatingly. "She's calling you Deadpool, man. Isn't that sweet?"

"She's calling me Deadpool because of my ugly burned face. What's sweet on that?"

"She's calling you Deadpool because she sees you as her Hero. Come on, man."

"I admire her. She's cool. But that's it. I am loyal to Taeyeon, man."

"Why? Because you think Taeyeon is gay?"

"What the , man? Taeyeon isn't gay. She dated Baekhyun before, you know."

"Okay, fine. She's Bi, maybe. Don't argue with me on that. She was gay for Tiffany. But Tiffany blipped, even Baekhyun. So, you got a better chance now." Then, he sighed deeply. "Man, I envy you. You got a lunch date with Taeyeon and you are Jessica's Deadpool. I bet Hyoyeon would fall for you too."

"It's not a lunch date, idiot. And I bet Hyoyeon and Taeyeon would become so horrified once they see my face. So whatever you are thinking, stop it. You're ridiculous."

"I am not. Come on, dude. Can you give yourself a break? You earned this. If it wasn't for your stupidity, you wouldn't get to save the precious Jessica Jung. THE Jessica Jung. She's crazy now, though."

"Shut the up, man. Now, be useful and copy all the remaining contents to a spare drive. We're gonna take all those hard drives with us. We'll just tell everyone the CCTV in the ship stopped working too."

"Ooooh. Why are we taking them? Did you find some vids, man?"

"You are damn creepy, Minseok! Have respect for Jessica Jung!" I quickly looked away, though. I don't want him to notice my blush. Wait. He won't notice. My face is completely scarred, anyway.

"Dude. I know body language and I could see you're lying. You did find something."

"Yes. And I don't want the authorities to get a hand over these videos. They might invade her privacy from then on. I mean. 853 days alone. Everyone is definitely curious about what she had done for hundreds of days. And we're not taking these for us to keep. We're taking these to Taeyeon and Hyoyeon. They have the better right to handle this stuff, you know. I'm sure they will both protect Jessica."

"But, dude... Do you think they are all still on good terms?"

"What are you talking about?"

He looked at me boringly, "The 9-30 incident, man."

"Do you think that 9-30 incident would still matter now? Five out of nine blipped. There are only four of them left and one is even in a comatose condition for more than two years now. Technically, it's just the three of them now."

"I see your point. But, I am just worried, man."

"I know. But, that's not something we should be worried about. We're not in the right position. The important thing is, Taeyeon and Hyoyeon accepted and would like to help Jessica out when she gets back to our country."

He sighed loudly, "Okay. I'll just follow what you believe."

"You should be. Now, do what I asked you to do. After you copied, make sure to wipe out the CCTV internal storage, alright?"

"Fine, boss."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter