Northern Lights: Winter Solstice

Colours of my 은하 (Galaxy)

The earth was silent on it's soulful longest night. While the Christmas star shines the brightest from above, this cold winter breeze just suit perfectly for a warm night bath and a hot coffee morning talk.


It would be nice to have a kind of soothing moment for that day, but not for this gorgeous lady named Sowon and her adorable room mate Umji.


5 o'clock in the morning when they heard uncanny noises from the room next door and woke up untimely from a deep night sleep, brought by few bottles of beer.


"Arrgg, my head hurts" Sowon complains in annoyance while massaging her temple. Her disappointment increases when she checks out the time and it was only 5 o'clock.


"Unnie, is there an earthquake on the room next door? Can you please knock them down so I can have a peaceful dream?" Umji's dazzling vision shuts her down back to bed after giving a quick order.


"Did you loss your manners?" Sowon can just sigh in disbelief after seeing the younger one being on a deep sleep mode in just a span of 3 seconds.


"I won't let you get away this this"


After giving a light kick on the younger's , she makes her way off the bed. Still wearing her pajama's and walking like a morning zombie, she was decided to give a small talk with their neighbor room.


As she unlocks the door and have it open, her senses scatters on the floor. A small figure who was supposed to knock was there, standing right in front of her.


"Eu-Eunha" She stutter while trying to pick up the senses she just dropped.


"H-Hi, Goodmorning!" Eunha greeted with a bright yet awkward smile. While waiting for Sowon's greet, the smell of alcohol greets her first and she noticed the latter's messy hair and pajamas with a see through underwear.


It was not too long when Sowon realized and shuts the door in front of her eyes to save herself from embarrassment.


"I'm sorry Eunha! Wait for a second, I'll change first!" She shouted and  rushed back to the bedroom and pushes Umji to wake up by shaking her body.


"Umji, please help me clean the room. Eunha is waiting outside"


"I'm still sleepy~ Did you invite her this early?" Although she felt obligated, she woke up half asleep.


"I didn't, but she's already there. Let's clean up a bit faster!"
Both hurriedly picks up the broomstick, the bottles they left and a huge plastic bag to demolish everything. They finished in just three minutes and get themselves changed in a speed of light.


"All done!"


"When it comes to Eunha-unnie, she's really faster than the cheetah" 


Umji let out a heavy breath after a fast cleaning and went straight to the kitchen for a coffee to relieve her headache. While Sowon went back to let Eunha get inside their unit.


While having a sip of her favorite latte and embracing the scent of it's aroma, she heard Sowon calling for her help again.


"What is it again" Being a kind and caring friend she is, she immediately go to check her out. 


The door of their unit was left open and In her surprise, she saw Sowon helping Eunha to get back on her knees and a bento was scattered on the floor.


"What happened? Are you just fine unnie?" She worriedly asks and helps Eunha to walk inside the room and settle her on a sofa while Sowon cleans up the mess outside their room.


"It's nothing to be worried about, I'm just surprised when two ladies from the next door suddenly ran out of their room. I didn't have good reflexes and was not able to move out of their way that's why we accidentally bumped on each other" Eunha explains.


"It's not your fault, they were not supposed to be so careless and It's my fault for not letting you in earlier." Sowon interfere after she finished cleaning.


"Thank you for helping me out"


Being modest is what makes Eunha more attractive in Sowon's eyes. When she's sorry, grateful, surprised and even doing nothing, her cheeks always carry this light pink blush in which Sowon always thought was cute.


"By the way, is this your phone? I found it while cleaning on the floor outside" Sowon asks curiously.


"Wait, but I have my phone here" Eunha checks her pocket and shows her phone.


"Maybe it belongs to one of those girls earlier" Eunha added.


"Maybe" Sowon shrugged off her shoulders "I'll hand this later to the lobby" Then she kept the phone at the countertop.


"But unnie, why did you pack so much food? I saw it all scattered on the floor, such a waste" Umji suddenly felt bad while asking.


"Didn't Sowon told you? She messaged me last night to congratulate her for finally passing the subject that she used to fail. And as a congratulatory gift, she actually asks me for a home cooked breakfast here." Eunha explains further.


Umji accidentlly splashed out the coffee she was drinking at the moment after hearing those kind of absurd requests from Sowon. While Sowon was there in complete shock and embarrassment.


And after checking out her phone, she finally realized how shameless of a human being she is.


*11pm


"Eunha, are you still awake?"
"The night is still young, I can't sleep~"
"Is that so? Wanna come by?"
"My parents won't allow~"
"Aww, too bad cause I wanna celebrate with you tonight"
"Your birthday already passed, what is there to celebrate?"
"I finally passed our basic psychology exam!"
"Woah, after two years. I'm proud of you! congratulations Kim So Jung!"
"Why don't you come over by tomorrow for a breakfast? It's already Christmas break, we can hang out all day"
"Sure! But if we have to hang out all day, you're required to gain a kilo or two"
"Then cook for me some decent meals, I really like you"
"What!?"
"I mean I really like your home cooked meals"
"Okay, be sure to finish everything. See you tomorrow!"


Her face turned chilli pepper red and gave herself a well deserved slap on her left and right cheeks after reading the proof of their conversation.


But after feeling bad for Eunha's wasted home cooked breakfast, she invites the two for a barbeque party on a restaurant. And after spending few hours on a karaoke, they went straight to a night market.


As a token of appreciation for Umji's hardwork that day, third wheeling them, and giving her a good scolding the other night, Sowon gave her a bracelet that suits her kindness and trustworthiness.


Although she's still unsure of trustworthiness, she unconsciously taught herself that having a friend to depend on can help her in understanding her personal growth as a person and her emotional growth begin to deepen.