i'm wondering where you would be without me

meet me at the bottom of the ocean where the time is frozen

Ever since Minji had uttered with so much confidence and a dangerous spark in her eyes “We’ll hide in The Cutthroat Lee’s ship”, Handong couldn’t stop thinking about how whatever crazy plan the princess came up with to achieve her goal would inevitably blow up in their faces. 

(Still, no matter how crazy or dangerous things got, Handong would always be by Minji’s side till the end of times).

If she really thought about it, it was actually a long time coming; ever since her engagement to Prince Yoongi was announced, Minji had been downright miserable. It didn’t help that her previously uncaring mother had taken a 180 personality shift and turned into an overbearing mother whose only focus was on the royal wedding.

Whenever she saw the Queen ignoring Minji, Handong had wanted to march right up to her and tell her some harsh truths -and a choice of colorful words- to her face; after all, Minji deserved the universe, and Handong would move heaven and hell to give it to her. 

(And if it weren’t for the small fact that the Queen would probably hang her for that, she’d have done it a million years ago.)

She always thought that Minji gave too much and expected too little, and it hurt Handong to see the light in the princess’s eyes die little by little whenever her parents ignored her.

From the first moment she had seen that happen, once they had become best friends, Handong had bowed to herself to do her best to put a smile on Minji’s face and try to lighten the other’s load with her love and friendship; even if that meant going along with Minji’s ridiculous plans.

(But well, she couldn’t exactly complain since she had gotten Yoohyeon and countless crazy stories to tell her grandchildren once she was old and grey out of it.)


Handong could never forget how Minji had convinced her to sneak out of the castle in the dead of the night to celebrate the handmaid’s twenty first birthday, if it hadn’t been for the fact that she had already been a little buzzed from the champagne bottle Minji had gifted her, Handong would have (probably) said no to the crazy idea of sneaking out of the castle, because:

 

  • Minji had never sneaked out of the castle before (much less stepped a foot into town) and they’d probably (mainly thanks to the princess) end up in some sort of mess.
  • If they were found out, Handong would probably be seen as a traitor that put the princess at risk and be put into jail, or worse, be hanged.

 

But Minji just had to pout and use those damned puppy eyes of hers for an already weak Handong to give in. So, after dressing Minji up so she would be unrecognizable by the townsfolk -by dressing her with some of the handmaid’s clothes and one of the Queen’s simpler wigs-, completing the feat of sneaking past the guards and managing to get out of the castle without being spotted, they had found themselves in one of the bars near the castle, drinking and dancing to their heart’s content. 

Handong had been on her way to the restroom when someone crashed against her and made her fall into another person’s lap; imagine her surprise when she looked up to apologize to the one she had fallen into only for it to turn out to be the pretty silver haired woman that had visited her cousin’s bakery a few days prior.

It seemed like liquid courage was all the other woman needed to not be a bumbling mess since she smoothly said, “Well, it seems like it’s your turn to fall for me now”, while tightening her hold on Handong’s waist.

Red faced, Handong mumbled out an apology and tried to get up from the other woman’s embrace, but it seemed like the other wasn’t having any of it, since she tightened her grip on her.

“I regretted not asking for your name that time at the bakery”, the silver haired woman then gave her a dopey grin, “You’ve not left my mind since that encounter”.

There were so many thoughts running through Handong’s mind, so many things she wanted to say but the feeling of being wrapped up in the other’s arm made her mind blank.

Seeing the other’s lack of answer, the silver haired woman then said, “I’m Yoohyeon, Kim Yoohyeon, at your service”, she finished with a bow of her head.

“Uh, my-my na-name is, uh, D-Dongie”, the usually composed handmaiden stuttered.

“Dongie. A beautiful name for a beautiful face”, Yoohyeon smiled softly at her, “Would you mind joining me for a drink?”

Handong wanted nothing more than to say yes to Yoohyeon, and if it had been any other day she would have agreed without a second thought, but there was a very drunk princess that she had to get back to before she got into some sort of mess.

“I can’t right now, there’s someone waiting for me”, Handong gave her an apologetic smile as she stood up from her place in the other’s lap.

“Oh”, Yoohyeon’s previously smiling face fell, she was foolish to think that the beautiful woman on top of her wasn’t taken by another.

Sensing the disappointment in Yoohyeon, Handong quickly said, “A friend! My best friend is waiting for me”

“A friend, you say?”

“Yes, nothing more than a friend”

After those words, Yoohyeon was back to her smiling self, it seemed like she had a chance after all, “Well, maybe we could hang out some other day?”

“Maybe...”, Handong’s eyes sparked with hope, “...you and I could take a stroll around town tomorrow, I have a free day”.

Yoohyeon’s smile was so bright that she could have lit up the whole place, Handong thought it was the most beautiful sight she had ever seen, “YES! I-I mean… it’d be my pleasure”.

“Meet me outside of the bakery where we first met at midday, right after the church’s bells ring for the twelfth time”, with a sudden burst of courage, Handong dropped a kiss on the other’s cheek, before heading to the restroom, leaving an astonished Yoohyeon behind.

Once she got back to her table and Minji asked her what had taken her so long, Handong could only sigh dreamily as she said the line had been long. It’s not like she didn’t want her friend to know about her encounter with Yoohyeon, she just wanted to be sure about where things would head to with the other woman before telling her hopeless romantic friend about it.

And when she met Yoohyeon the next day at the bakery, was the start of something special that neither woman had been expecting but welcomed with open arms, since every time they met after that both felt like they were finally coming home.

(Also, the hangover that the princess had the next day was enough to deter her from trying to sneak out of the castle in the near future. That, and during the construction of a new wing in the castle, the guards had found out the secret passage they had used to sneak out and sealed it with cement. 

It’d take more than a year of carefully going over every single inch of the castle and its grounds to find another way out of it).


So now, one week after the princess had the idea of running away, Handong and Minji had managed to sneak out of the castle to meet Yoohyeon at the back of Handong’s cousin’s bakery to tell her about the plan, and see if she was up to running away with them.

“And if she doesn’t, that means she and you deserve someone better”, Minji had said while munching on a donut, trying to hide how eager she was to meet the woman who had stolen her best friend’s heart.

(And she was eager to give Yoohyeon the shovel talk, even if Handong had strictly forbidden it. 

But what the handmaid didn’t know, wouldn’t hurt her).

Handong had just rolled her eyes at that, but deep inside she was nervous about what Yoohyeon was going to say, they had been seeing each other for almost ten months, and while she could surely say she loved the silver haired woman with all her heart, she wasn’t sure if the other’s feelings ran as deep. 

Sure, she and Yoohyeon had been trying to see each other whenever they had the chance -making time to see each other at least once a week during those months, and Handong had even taken to sneaking out of the castle a couple of times.

During each meeting, they had so much fun with each other, always feeling at ease and thoroughly enjoying the time they spent together, but they had never spoken about what they felt for the other nor bothered to put a label on their relationship, both content with how things had been going, taking it one step at the time.

But now that they were faced with this dilemma, would their relationship survive?

Before Handong’s thoughts could spiral to a dark place, Yoohyeon arrived at the bakery with that soft smile on her face that was reserved just for her and some flowers in her hand; and with that, all her worries washed away.

Minji almost choked on her muffin when she saw the woman her best friend was in love with. She is so beautiful, the princess thought, and she brought her flowers!!! No wonder Handong is so enamored with her.

Yoohyeon gave Handong the flowers and a soft kiss on her lips, unaware of the woman watching her with rapt eyes. For a moment, Handong also forgot about Minji’s presence, letting herself melt against Yoohyeon; that only lasted until the princess whistled at them, making the couple break apart.

“You shouldn’t eat bread in front of the poor”, Minji smirked.

Handong only rolled her eyes, accustomed to her friend’s antics, while Yoohyeon turned a deep shade of red.

“If the bread looks like this”, Handong ran her eyes all over Yoohyeon’s body, “you’d also eat it whenever you could”.

Minji let out a loud laugh, not expecting Handong to behave this way in front of her partner in public; that meant that she truly trusted Yoohyeon with all her being, since Handong rarely showed her sassy side in front of anyone else.

“Oh”, Yoohyeon wiped her sweaty hands on her pants before extending one hand out to the weirdly dressed woman in front of her, “You must be Dongie’s best friend? She has told me so much about you, nice to meet you”.

“Ah, the infamous Kim Yoohyeon”, Minji looked Yoohyeon up and down before taking her hand in hers, “We have so much to talk about”.

There was something about the other woman that made Yoohyeon gulp in fear, she didn’t know if it was the way the woman had dark striking makeup on and was dressed in a large black tunic with a hood covering her hair, or the way her eyes had pierced right through her.

It might have also been the scarily wide smile the other woman was wearing, as if she knew Yoohyeon’s deepest secrets already.

Handong pushed Minji away from Yoohyeon after the princess kept shaking the other’s hand without intentions of stopping.

“Please ignore her”, the handmaid glared at the princess, “She doesn’t know how to interact with people”.

Minji then stage whispered at Handong without taking her eyes off Yoohyeon, “If she can’t handle me at my worst, how do you expect her to go with us?”

“Go where?”, a clearly confused Yoohyeon asked.

Handong sighed in frustration; this was definitely not how they had planned this to go. They were supposed to butter Yoohyeon up first, and then explain their crazy plan; but it seemed like Minji, as always, just did whatever she wanted.

“Uh, why don’t we head inside the bakery first? My cousin told me we could use her little office to talk without interruption”.


Yoohyeon’s mind was running a mile a minute after she had finally processed everything she had heard. When Dongie had told her she worked in the castle, Yoohyeon had thought she was a mere servant, and that the best friend she raved about was nothing more than a coworker.

“Let me get this straight”, Yoohyeon clasped her hands together in front of her face and took a deep breath, “You”, she pointed at Handong, “not only work at the castle but you are the princess’s handmaiden, and you”, then she pointed at Minji, “are the princess, heir to this whole kingdom, set to marry the prince of TangBan. But! You hate with your whole heart the idea of it so much that you’d rather leave your life behind and try to sneak into The Cutthroat Lee’s ship, the most dangerous ship in the seven seas to escape your inevitable destiny? And you want me to go with you?”

Handong simply bit her lip, now that Yoohyeon put it like that, it sounded like a crazy proposal.

Minji just shrugged and said a simple, “Yeah, that’s it”.

Yoohyeon looked at her lover; when they had started seeing each other, the silver haired woman dreamt a lot about their future, she could really see herself leaving her old life behind and settling down with Dongie; she had only thought that they would leave a peaceful life right next to each other until they died together in their sleep while holding hands, not going into whatever this crazy adventure the duo were proposing.

“This is crazy”, she whispered while gazing into Handong’s worried eyes.

“I know”, Handong whispered back, she couldn’t hold Yoohyeon’s gaze anymore though and looked down at the floor, since she was afraid of what she would see reflected in there.

Minji was ready to throw hands if Yoohyeon broke her best friend's heart, but she was surprised when she saw the silver haired woman walk up to Handong and tenderly cupping her cheek, making her look at her.

“But I love crazy”, Yoohyeon whispered, her thumb caressing her lover’s cheek. “So I guess that also means I love you”.

Handong got teary eyed and whispered, “I love you too”, before kissing Yoohyeon softly.

“Awwww”, Minji cooed at the couple, “You guys are so cute”.

At the princess’s words, the couple broke the kiss with a chuckle.

“I guess that means you’re coming with us?”, Handong asked.

“Yes”, Yoohyeon said with a smile on her face. “Now, what’s the plan?”


And after hearing their plan, Yoohyeon had once again found herself stunned and wondering what she had gotten herself into. 


title taken from: the bastardss, the vultures, the wolves - the wonder years
hi i am finally back with a new chapter for this fic!! i hope you guys like it!!!

disclaimer: all mistakes are mine, and english is not my first language
you can also find me on 
tw: @anothershipper
cc:/anothershipper
☕: /anothershipper