Chapter 9

Eight

Chan had been shaking none stop since the moment they had stepped into the glass like building with it’s polished floors and steel beams. He had barely managed to keep his small breakfast in his stomach because he was so scared of everything around him, despite knowing for an fact that nothing here was going to hurt him. Leeteuk was taking him to his pack, back to the loving arms that he had missed for so long and they’d all be together once again. It was something that Chan had been dreaming of ever since he got out of that hell hole of a ‘Games Arena’ that he had been thrown into for no reason other than The Others were a bunch of sick and twisted bastards who stole innocence and purity for their own glory.

That thought caused Chan to throw up but thankfully it seemed that Zhoumi was prepared for such an occurrence. As was the receptionist who had smiled and said in a good natured way that they always kept sick bags everywhere because it was a common side effect of entering the building, even for long term employees.

Chan was almost thankful that he couldn’t mention the fact that his was more due to something that he had done to himself but had thankfully been stopped for going down that rabbit hole of bad thoughts by Hyunjin. Though quite how the beta knew what to do in that situation was beyond the elder brothers understanding but he was very grateful for the rice paper snack that he was given by the younger. It really did help to settle his stomach down. “Ready to go?” Hyunjin asked after five minutes of just sitting on a cold seat in the lobby, patient and quiet as ever and Chan nodded.

“Hey, it’s okay to feel nervous, you know?” Hyunjin said softly, placing his hand gently on the side of his brothers face. “You haven’t seen them in a long while and there’s probably going to be changes but you know in your heart that you’re meant to be with them and this will be the best day ever for you.”

Chan swallowed, “How do you know that?”

“Cause my big brother,” Hyunjin smiled at saying those words to Chan, knowing that they always soothed him when he was having a rough day, “Doesn’t do anything unless he’s one thousand per cent sure of it.”

Blinking towards the younger, the omega smiled and rested his forehead against the betas, “Looks like something sunk in.”

“A lot of things sunk in, Pannie-Channie,” Hyunjin giggled, “I just never showed you. Now come on, I can practically smell the tension from here and I’m sure they’re further away than the end of the corridor.”

Zhoumi chuckled as he came back to help Chan up, knowing that this walk was going to be long and hard but it would have the best result. Lightly he took hold of part of the hoody that Chan wore and raised it to the omega’s nose, seeing the lights sparkle in the others eyes. “Not much further before they’re right in your arms, Channie.”

That spurred the omega on with much quicker steps and they set off as a much faster speed. Though they did have a stop a few more times as everything was just too emotional for Chan to cope with. He wanted so desperately to be back in his packs arms, he really did but the memories from that place kept on smashing against the forefront of his mind and made him really want to throw up time and time again. Though with nothing left on his stomach anymore, it was just painful dry heaving and that was not fun. Hyunjin was a godsend, providing water for the omega out of a bottle which he had apparently brought along with him – Chan did briefly note that it was the Leebit bottle which made his heart flutter just a little bit more – and all the hugs that he needed to get down that corridor. Zhoumi was also there, helping with scenting and soft words. Kris had been left at the front desk with Xiumin, as whilst both parents wanted to go with Chan, they had been advised that introducing an unknown alpha into the situation may cause issues.

Chan almost wished he did have his Ba there with him, with his strong distracting scent that could chase away the nightmares and the horrible thoughts that were plaguing his head at the moment. His legs felt weak, his brain an absolute mess of darkness and evil thoughts and no matter what the others tried it almost seemed like an impossible feat for him to walk much further. Even with the hoody and all the wonderful scents, Chan started to panic and slipped into a sub drop faster than anyone could have imagined possible.

His eyes glazed over lifelessly and his whole body dropped to the floor, his breathing swallow and so death like that for a moment it was almost as if death had claimed him.

Hyunjin gripped onto Chan, utterly confused and terrified as tears sprang to his eyes, “Chan!”

Zhoumi took one look at his friend and cursed, “Damn it! Should have known. Hyunjin, stay here with Chan and talk to him.”

“What?” Hyunjin half yelped as the other omega stood up.

“Talk to Chan. I know how to fix this but I need to grab someone first,” Zhoumi said, starting to rush off down the corridor, “Please, Hyunjin, just trust me and talk to him!”

Lost for a few seconds, Hyunjin turned towards Chan’s almost dead form when a strangled whimper came out of him and immediately he started babbling. “Chan, Channie, come on. You’re safe, you’re going to be okay. Your pack is coming, they’re going to look after you and make you feel so alive and special just like you’ve always deserved because you are the best ever in the entire world. Did you know that? I bet you’d deny it if you heard it cause I know you denied it when school voted you the best mother anyone could ask for and I know you’re going to be the best mother in the world when you have cubs. They’ll be so well behaved and wonderful, just like you and they’ll never misbehave or throw their toys at the TV or try to eat the cat…remember when Innie did that? Poor Tiddles never liked him after that did he? I wonder what happened to Tiddles anyway, I lost track of him and you’ll have to teach all of your cubs the ducky song just so we can embarrass you or sorry, correction, I’m going to teach them the ducky song cause the number of times that I had sing that with you and I still find myself doing it sometimes which is really annoying and….”

A panicked scent reached the beta which cut off his rambling and he looked up in surprise. Running towards him was Zhoumi with an tall, but slightly too thin alpha only a couple of steps behind him. A sharp jawline, hair that was too long and in desperate need of a cut but the most expressive brown eyes that had always made him easily a eye catcher even with all the brutality that had been inflicted upon him. The clothes the alpha wore were clearly not his own, or either the wrong size which allowed just a few glimpsed of the scarred and mutilated chest as he slumped down to the ground with tears rolling down his cheeks, “Chris!” the deep voice crept out of the very dry and cracked lips. “Baby, Chan…my Channie.”

For a second an irrational need to protect his elder brother took over Hyunjin and he pulled the omega close, letting out a low warning growl towards the alpha. The dark brown eyes rose up to meet his in irritation for just a second before they softened to a look of understanding. “Hello Jinnie,” Jackson spoke softly, “My you’ve grown.”

The anger went immediately out of Hyunjin’s mind and body as he shook his head and blushed, “Sorry, I don’t…make him wake up and by Odin look after him forever.”

The alpha smiled, reaching out to touch the beta’s cheek, “Have been since the day I met him.” Turning to the still figure still held in the beta’s arms, Jackson carefully pulled Chan out of the unresisting arms and held the omega lightly to his chest. Hyunjin thought that Jackson would start kissing Chan or speaking embarrassing words, but instead he seemed to just arrange the omega into his lap and embraced him in a slightly weird hug. Chan was practically rolled up into a ball and safely secluded in the entirety of Jackson’s body, looking so small and compact, like he was nothing more than a cub. Resting his head on top of Chan’s, Jackson started a low vibration hum that came from within the centre of his chest and echoed outward in a steady pattern that was hypnotic and just the most wonderous thing to hear. Hyunjin almost wanted to go and curl up with Jackson just to feel that vibration himself because it felt so soothing and tingly even though he wasn’t right next to it.

A sudden intake of air broke the spell and Jackson pulled himself backwards to smile wetly down at Chan who was staring up at him like he didn’t quite believe that the alpha was there. Slowly the omega reached out, touching the alpha’s cheek ever so carefully with his fingertips to which Jackson purred at. Actually purred, not an alpha intimidation of it. With a wail, Chan flung himself at the alpha and gripped tightly onto him which was returned just as much by the other.

Hyunjin blinked and looked towards Zhoumi who shrugged, “He’s been able to do that since he was a cub. They’ve always been able to calm each other down with it. I’m surprised he never used it on you guys.”

“I don’t think I’ve heard Chan growl, let alone purr,” Hyunjin jokingly pouted, knowing fine well that he had heard both many times and hoped that his big brother would take it as a light hearted joke.

Zhoumi laughed gently, “Yeah right.”

Oblivious to the comments coming from the two watchers, Jackson nuzzled lightly at Chan’s scent gland as he tried his best to get him to stop crying and placed a series of kisses there as well for good measure. Chan hiccupped and tapped the alpha’s shoulder, bringing their faces together so that they could kiss properly until both were pretty much breathless which didn’t take too long. Jackson smiled and chuckled, “Guess we’re both out of practice, huh?”

“Yeah,” Chan said, his voice tear laden but firmer than it had been in weeks. “I guess so, Jackson.”

The alpha’s eyes opened wide in shock before he was back to kissing the omega hard and as passionately as he had ever done in his entire life. He pulled back with tears in his eyes and rested his head against the love of his life with a contented little sigh. “You don’t know how good it is to hear you again, Channie.”

Instead of answering, Chan pressed his hand to the others chest where he knew his heartbeat was and allowed it to thump heavily against his palm. Gently he let out a shaky breath, trying to conserve some energy or he was never going to make it through seeing the rest of the pack in the slightest. Though a smile crossed his face as he felt an impatient tug on the pack bound and smiled as he nuzzled Jackson. “How did you get out here first?”

“Your cousin came to get me,” Jackson replied, lightly scenting his omega out of nothing more than habit, “Cause you did the thing you’re not supposed to do and Jaebeom would just panic and forget how to do the thing that gets you out.”

A fond smile crossed Chan’s lips at that, before he sighed and wrapped his arms around the alpha’s neck, “Take me home?”

“With pleasure,” Jackson replied, kissing the crown of Chan’s head once again before moving as though he was going to scoop Chan up bridal style.

“Whoa, hey, slow it down you two,” Zhoumi cut in, a smile on his face despite the reprimand. “I know it would be totally romantic for you to carry your omega back to your pack but you mister stupid alpha are still recovering and that leg of yours will not support our Channie’s weight even if he’s lighter than he should be.”

Chan blinked and turned his eyes to look at Jackson, whilst the alpha just pouted towards his long term friend who glared back. “And don’t try to be all cute with me either cause I’m resistant to your puppy eyes now. You can walk your mate back to the rest of them but if you dare carry him, you’ll both end up on the floor and back in the infirmary where you won’t be able to see anyone for a few days so be sensible for once in your life, yeah?”

The two mates looked to one another, Chan matching Zhoumi’s stern look which made Jackson pout all the more but he gave a big sigh that was a little too theatrical to be real, “You’re so mean to me Zhoumi! He’s going to end up on the floor when Bambam gets hold of him.”

“But minus a broken leg, which need I remind you….” Zhoumi was cut off by a huff from the alpha.

Chan was quick to interject and gave Jackson another kiss, “I’ll hold your hand the whole way there.”

“That’s bribery,” Jackson complained but then changed his look to a smouldering one, “but I like it.”

Hyunjin gagged, “How the hell you two hid this from not only the whole of school but Minho as well, I’ll never know.”

“They were sneaky,” Zhoumi said, getting up and helping the beta up to his feet as well.

Jackson chuckled as he very carefully stood up, “School was easy to sort out…Minho not quite so much.”

Chan blushed as he nodded, “Still don’t get where he got his protective streak from over me.”

Zhoumi chuckled, “He did once explain it but I’m not quite sure that I believe him.”

“Don’t really care to be honest,” Hyunjin cut in, “Since Channie did snag the school’s biggest heartthrob, I’ve got to meet the rest of the pack and see how good looking they actually are.”

Jackson looked confused as he started down the hallway with Chan’s hand firmly locked in his, “Wait, I was the school heartthrob?”

Both Chan and Zhoumi stared at the alpha to see if he was joking, though from the look he gave in return he wasn’t. The two omegas shook their heads and continued on down the corridor, opting not to try and explain a single thing to Jackson because it would take too long for starters and he still probably wouldn’t get it in the slightest. Or would get into such an inflated ego boost that he would annoy everyone for flipping days.

But all thoughts about correcting the alpha were immediately rejected when there came the sound of not one but two pairs of running feet. Chan didn’t even need a moments prompting to tear himself away from Jackson and quite literally threw himself at the two figures who let out a joint cry of his name. Tears were already falling down but for the first time in the long while they were tears of joy and Chan felt his heart sore.

Yugyeom was still gangly and not quite grown into his body, the malnutrition that they had been forced through did not help that in the slightest but to Chan it just made him feel all the more real. Plus the bright smile was filled with enough sparkles and sunshine that Chan knew it was his youngest mate without having even bothering to check. Sure he was older, by a month, but that didn’t matter at all. There was a scar over his eye that looked quite horrific but before Chan could comment he was being kissed so passionately by the tall beta that he really couldn’t focus on anything else.

Until Bambam, having decided that scenting wasn’t enough for him, rather unceremoniously shoved Yugyeom out of the way to get his own kiss in. Chan could easily imagine the pout that the other was sporting but was definitely a bit too caught up in his drift-beta who was kissing him like he was the most important thing in the world. Not that Chan cared of course, as he eagerly returned the kiss and ran his fingers lightly through the buzz cut that Bambam sported and felt just a little on the sad side that his glorious long locks were missing but figured that it would grow back of it’s own accord. Plus Bambam had the ability to make any style he wore look amazing so it wasn’t like it was going to ruin him or anything.

A gentle panting caught the omega’s attention and he pulled away, momentarily to see Mark standing a few feet away, looking as though he had ran a mile when in fact it had only been a few meters as Chan could just see the open door at the end of the corridor. Mark took a deep breath, “I tried…but they…were too…”

Wrestling his way, very gently, out of the arms of his pack mates, Chan raced towards Mark and engulfed him in a hug but was very mindful of the others ribs. Whilst Mark rarely complained about them, it was clearly very painful and Chan was more than happy to see him able to stand upright without the rotten smell of some kind of illegal drugs numbing the pain. There was a smell of some kind of medication on him but it was going to be the best stuff in the world. Lightly Chan kissed at Mark’s neck, almost grinning when he heard the joint whines of the other two but also the happy grumble from Jackson as he kept them in place. Sure grouping together in a big pile was going to be Chan’s ultimate goal but he also had seven mates who all individually needed their own kiss and cuddle and the omega was going to give them it.

“I’m glad you didn’t get hurt whilst trying to stop them,” he spoke towards Mark, loving the surprised reaction that he got out of the beta who let out a high pitched squeal before scooping Chan up into his arms and spinning around. Which ended up with them both sprawled on the floor but with happy giggles from the beta as Chan fussed over him.

Mark grabbed the wandering hands and yanked the omega down to his lips, kissing chastely but repeatedly before rubbing noses with the omega, “I never want you to loose your voice ever again Chan! Never! It’s the best sound ever!”

Jackson rolled his eyes and let the other two go as his arms were beginning to ache but thankfully they just moved to Mark’s side, “Let’s get you up and back to the shy ones, okay?”

Raising his head at that comment, Chan blinked his silently question. Jackson nodded his response and the omega was up and rushing towards the open door. The room beyond was quite plain looking with just a table and a chair but Chan figured that it was some kind of holding space with the clear windows that were next to the door. There was another door open to a larger room behind and standing in it, looking half terrified to death, was Youngjae. Feeling his breath catch in his throat, Chan took caughious steps towards the beta and reached out a tentative hand towards him. “Jae-Hyung?” he asked, keeping his voice neutral for reasons that were best not revisited at this time.

Youngjae looked concerned for a moment, ready to flee but then sniffed heavily and seemed to almost come to his sense, “Chrissie?”

Feeling his heart break, Chan took a few steps forward and let out as much of a happy scent as he could as he stared at the others eyes. They had always been pretty to look at, and sometimes Chan had just spent hours getting lost in them but now he could see the damage that had been done and knew that Youngjae’s sight was probably more affected than he had ever let on. However the beta’s grabby hands were no different, nor was the pressure of which he was yanked into a tight hug and immediately heavily scented by the overprotected beta. Chan hiccupped as he held tighter onto the other, only to be rewarded with more kissed to his head. “No, no, no more tears, Chrissy. I’m going to be okay. I’m still here and we’ve got you back! We’re a pack! Just like we promised and nothing is going to change that.”

Chan buried himself further into the familiar warmth and wished, once again, that he hadn’t been so stupid during that game. Youngjae should hate him, should want nothing to do with him but here he was, trying his best to comfort the omega when it should be the other way round. There again, Youngjae was always the one to look after them all, the biggest mother hen going that even henpecked Chan whenever he got the chance so really he should have expected it.

Especially when he received a light nip to his ear and looked up to find Jinyoung crying silent rivers next to him as he wrapped himself around the omega. Chan wasted no time in kissing him, before remembering the fact that he hadn’t kissed Youngjae so he did so which earned him a toothy grin before he returned his attention back to Jinyoung. The beta smiled and nuzzled him affectionately, sighing in content before disentangling him lightly from the other and hoisting him up into his arms. Chan immediately squeaked, wrapping his arms and legs tightly around the other in case he dropped him but of course Jinyoung would never do such a thing. “So good to have you back here, Chrissy,” Jinyoung said with a grin, “I’m going to just carry you around for the rest of my days now.”

“As if that’s going to work, dafty,” a deeper voice replied and Chan immediately purred loudly and affectionately as he felt himself being transferred carefully into another pair of arms though these were lower than what Jinyoung was standing. But none of that mattered as the pack alpha got his hands on his omega and nuzzled against him with all the calming love that he could ever give the youngest of his pack. The one who had help make the pack officially and was always going to be the light of his life. “Welcome home, Chan,” Jaebeom spoke almost reverently, just taking the time to soak up everything that was his omega and feeling the bound that had been so close to breaking so many times, strengthen immersible.

Chan tilted his head up to look at Jaebeom, finding more tears rolling down his face but these of pure joy. Silently he lent forward and kissed the other, allowing time to just slow down and come to a completely stop where all that existed was himself and Jaebeom. His alpha. His first mate and most importantly the rock that had been missing. Jackson had always been by Chan’s side, had guided and protected him and the omega genuinely loved him to the end of time itself, as he did with all his mates, but Jaebeom was special. He had given up everything for Chan, literally and figuratively and he would forever wear the scars of the life that he had deliberately left behind just for Chan. For the half formed pack that had been together in the darkness and had made it whole. Neither doubted that their full story would ever be told, there were some parts that even the pack could not know about but all that mattered was that right now, in this moment, they were back together, exactly where they were meant to be.

Jaebeom pulled back, gently placing his hands on either side of the omega’s face and smiled softly with tears in his eyes, “If I could go back in time, I would do just to kick my tail and never drag you into that mess.”

Chan pressed his hands over the ones on his cheeks, “We would have never met otherwise, Jaebeom. I don’t thank you for dragging me to that hell, I’ll never fully forgive you for that but…as I said the day I mated with you, I love you and if I had never met you then I would never know what it truly feels like to love someone with all of my heart.”

Gently the alpha pressed his forehead to Chan’s and let out a sigh, “You’re too good to me, did you know that?” Their lips touched once again and Chan let out a happy little sigh as he rested against Jaebeom’s chest on the large nest bed. Soon they would have one of their own and the omega could not wait for that to happen. He only lightly giggled when he felt eager hands pulling and tugging the pair of them into the centre of the bed, as the rest of the pack piled in to snuggle up together in a big tangled pile.

Standing just in the doorway, Hyunjin smiled to himself, dabbing at his own eyes as he stepped back and away from the scene. He clicked send on the pictures that he had managed to get, because he knew that there would be way to many questions for Chan to answer when everyone was introduced and he felt his heart sore. Clearly there was a lot of back story to this pack, something that maybe Hyunjin did not want to ever truly know but he knew that this was exactly where Chan was meant to be and that settled his heart down even more.

He glanced at Zhoumi, who let out a sigh, “They’ve all got a long road to recovery but they’ll be fine.”

Hyunjin nodded, “Indeed. They’re cute.”

“Aren’t they?” Zhoumi replied, turning away, “We best go tell your parents what’s going on, cause I’m pretty sure I can smell your Ba’s worried scent from here.”

Hyunjin snorted, “Yeah, the big lug. Though how yours keeps so calm all the time…”

Zhoumi shrugged, “He’s in work mode currently, he’ll have a break down later about it. Come on, let’s go get people sorted.”

Hyung nodded and followed behind, wondering once again if now was the time to go to his own pack. Though he already knew that answer in his heart and he chuckled as he mused quietly to himself, “I wonder how many heart attacks we can give Ba over the next week?”

 

 

authors babbling: yeah, thankfully I had lots of cute puppies to distract me from crying into my keyboard writing this chapter. I'm temporarily marking as completed because whilst I've opened a can of worms with some revalations, I need to have a good think and a plan for my next steps. I do want to write Minho and Hyunjin with their packs, as well as Chan and Got7 but I just need to figure out the five W's and how I do this. Plus the plot bunnies are being completely random with me so I just don't want to get myself caught up with too many things. Particualarly as I'll soon be going back to work which means I won't have as much time to write which will be a pain. 

However any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appricated or just things you wanna know more about as well. Do let me know in the comments and keep an eye out for updates on Twelve and Eleven as well.