Chapter Three

Goals not Obstacles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Miyeon leaned back on her seat and stretched her arms over her head. It had been a long tiring day as well, but she still had so much to do. She stood up from her seat to get herself a coffee. Some caffeine would keep her up a little more to finish her work.

She walked out of her office and through the already empty workplaces of her department into the staff kitchen on their floor. While the machine in front of her brewed the coffee she saw the clock on the wall right next to her. Again 2:48 am — as usual she was alone at this time in the office. She wasn’t even surprised anymore. Who in his right state of mind would work as long and as much her?

With a small sigh she took her filled cup from the machine and left the kitchen to return to her office. Slowly she walked in thoughts of she needed to do next. Should she watch the PowerPoint presentation Sohee had made for the heads of JYPE or work the statistics that- Suddenly she stopped as she saw the all black figure.

Those boots, jeans, large hoodie, snap back and even his backpack — all black. He lean on the wall next to her open office entrance door. He had his arms crossed over his chest as he was just looking at her.

Miyeon could not read what he thought and but she knew that she was not really in the mood to deal with him now. So she just wanted to walk by him into her office and not give him any attention.

Chan was still a little confused and dumbfounded about their encounter in the afternoon. But he wanted to clear things with her and not jump to conclusions. He was lucky that he had remembered the car that she drove and as he saw it still parking in the lot, he wanted to take a chance and talk to her.

As he arrived on the 7th floor he saw her walking into the kitchen. He decided just to wait in front of her office for her. He could see that she was a little shocked to see him, so he waited for her to start talking. But it seemed as if she would just walk by and didn’t even cast a glance towards him. So he spoke to her as she was right next to him, right about to enter her office.

“Are you going to let me in now?“

She stopped in her tracks for about a small second before she continued to go in to her office without any words towards him. She didn’t clearly say 'No' so he took it as a yes to just enter her office. He saw her taking her seat at her desk and beginning to work. In her large office there was also a table where eight people could sit. So he walked to that table, took his backpack off and sat down. He was willing to wait.

Miyeon was irritated to see him just enter her office and sit at the table. But she hadn’t told him otherwise, so it seemed ridiculous to say anything now. Even though she tried to work on a statistics report from the corner of her eyes, she only saw him. Chan leaned back to sit relaxed on his chair as he looked from his hands in his lap to the wall in front of him. He seemed at peace somehow, and it made her even more nervous.

At that moment she knew she couldn’t work anymore with him being near her. How could she just escape this situation? What should she do? Just talk to him and try to explain her behavior or just walk away?

Chan looked at the black and white photograph that hung on the wall in front of him. It was Seoul by night and it was really beautiful. While he watched the photograph he could see from the corner of his eyes that she packed her things and heard the sound of her laptop being turned off.

She stood up and put her bag onto her shoulder. Still not giving him one look, she just wanted to pass, but he grabbed her left wrist with his left hand before she could pass him by.

“Are you not going to talk to me?“ He asked calm while looking up at her still sitting in his seat.

Miyeon cursed at herself in her mind as she saw his hand around her wrist. How could those delicate fingers have grabbed her? She really was off the opinion that she had been out of his reach and could just leave her office. But unfortunately she was not.

She knew that he was stronger than her and fighting would use her nothing. And it was not like he really used force or his words were aggressive. He just kept her lightly in place. And he had a right to know what he wanted to know, but she really didn’t want to deal with him.

“What about?“ She asked and was still not looking at him, just at his hand on her wrist.

Chan wanted her to look at him. So he pushed the chair left next to him with his feet away from the table. Then her pulled her onto that chair to sit right in front of him.

“About today.“ Chan spoke as she finally looked at him but kept her wrist still in his hand.

Miyeon was surprised with his attitude. He was just so calm. It didn’t really leave any room for her to start a fight him with without looking like she was seriously insane. So she just sighed.

“What do you want to know?“

“What is your real name and age?“

“You already know...“ She rolled her eyes at his question. As if his stupid manager hadn’t told him everything.

“I want to hear it from you.“ Chan unknowingly pulled her wrist a little towards him while still trying to look deeply into her eyes.

“Kang Miyeon, I’m 27.“

“Why did you lie to me?“

“No reason.“ She just shrugged her shoulders once again looking away. She didn’t really want to explain to him what she thought. They weren’t even that close.

“People don’t tell fake names without a reason.“ Chan knew that she had to have a reason. The ‘Miyeon‘ everyone was talking about was no carefree person. She was someone with a strong will and knew what she wanted.

“As I said I haven’t had a reason.“

“I think you did...“ Chan smiled knowingly. “But just to clear things up: I am not romantically interested and was not hitting on you — so don’t worry. I have a girlfriend as you know…“ His hand left her wrist as he felt a little pain inside his chest as he said that.

He didn’t want her to lie to him, but was he now the one who was lying?

“Yeah that one… I know.“ Miyeon played along as she smiled now too. But it was forced because she felt so uncomfortable that he had those thoughts. She never thought of him in this way and was definitely not into him. So it wasn’t really her concern that he would be hitting on her, it was rather that she wasn’t of the opinion that they could match not even in a friendship. But she kept those thoughts to herself.

“If you want you can just excuse to me now, so we can be friendly colleagues with the same weird sleep cycle?“ He happily asked while showing his both thumbs up.

But she was taken aback. She didn’t want to apologize and even more not for something that he even guessed wrong. “What?! I won’t…“ She shook her head and Chan just nodded as if he completely understood.

“I have expected you are not willing to excuse so to me. So I have two options that you can choos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter