bbbrdwngs82 (chenyeol)

Writer's Block Collection

“I’ve seen the way you look at me when you think I don’t notice.”

 

Silence, and a nervous gulp. Chanyeol looks around at all the people staring at him expectantly, waiting for him to give his line.

 

The director sighs and rubs at his temples with his thumb and index finger, his scribbled on copy of the script rolled tightly in his other hand. He lets out an annoyed breath and steps up into the stage lights.

 

“Chanyeol, opening night is in two days.” He slaps a hand across Chanyeol’s back and looks up at him, “You gotta get it together man.”

 

“I know. I know, I’m sorry.” He sighs and peeks quickly over at his costar, Jongdae, waiting with a patient smile for the scene to continue.

 

The director stares at Chanyeol for another moment in silent contemplation, then decides he’s had enough for the night; he needs to go home and relax with a glass, or a bottle, of wine lest his heart give out due to stress.

 

All the actors say their goodbyes and head their own ways, collecting their coats and bags from the seats before leaving. Chanyeol has one arm in his jacket, getting ready to slip the other sleeve on, when someone taps him on the shoulder.

 

He swings around and almost stumbles back upon seeing Jongdae standing so close, corners of his lips curled into a pleasant grin.

 

“I wanted to ask if you wanna stay for a bit and practice with me?”

 

Chanyeol nods dumbly. He pulls his jacket off and places it back on its chair, following Jongdae up the steps and onto the stage. He watches for a moment, as Jongdae flips through the pages of his script, going back and forth between a couple pages.

 

He hasn’t been alone with Jongdae since they were learning lines for Death of a Salesman, a play that went off without a hitch. Likely due to the many hours they spent together on this very stage practicing.

 

That’s when Chanyeol fell for Jongdae. During their many late nights reading lines, getting burgers on their way home at the 24 hour diner at the corner where they’d go their separate ways, to get to their separate dorms. He fell for the way Jongdae puts so much passion into every line he recites. The way he falls so effortlessly into every character he’s been given. He’s sweet and compassionate, and is the first to encourage anyone who shows even the slightest hint of disbelief in their acting skills.

 

But, that was a year ago, and he never made his move. He’s just sat by and continued acting alongside Jongdae, keeping his little crush a secret all to himself, and his best friend.

 

He knows that’s why he’s having trouble with his lines now. How can he stand and look someone as beautiful as Jongdae in the face, and not lose his place when hearing such sweet words aimed at him? Even if they are just written words from some long-dead playwright.

 

“So, should we start where we left off?”

 

Chanyeol nods, flipping to the page in the script he’s looked over so many times because he keeps ing up in the same spot. He watches Jongdae morph into character.

 

“You know you can tell me anything.”

 

“It’s not that easy. There are some things I can’t bring myself to say. Not to you.”

 

Jongdae crosses the stage, steps graceful, head held high. He stops inches away from Chanyeol and gazes up into his eyes, places his hand on his shoulder.

 

Chanyeol’s heart skips a beat at the contact, this isn’t part of the play.

 

“I’ve seen the way you look at me when you think I don’t notice.”

 

The words sound so sincere. This is why he can never remember his next line. He frowns, racking his brain for the right words to say.

 

“I love you,” he says with confidence, finally remembering his lines. “I’ve wanted to tell you for so long, but I was afraid that—”

 

He’s cut off by Jongdae hopping up onto his tiptoes to press their lips together. Chanyeol holds his breath; this definitely isn’t part of the play.

 

Jongdae backs away with a childish grin, eyes looking everywhere but at Chanyeol.

 

“Wha-what was that for?”

 

“Positive reinforcement.” He giggles at Chanyeol’s confused expression. “You finally got your line right, I figured it called for a reward.”

 

“Did Kyungsoo tell you about my crush on you?” he asks, knowing that little demon is the only person he’s ever told about it.

 

“On stage, you’re a great actor. Off stage…not so much,” Jongdae teases, enjoying the pink tint to Chanyeol’s cheeks. “And, to quote the words of our wonderful playwright, I’ve seen the way you look at me when you think I don’t notice.”