Decisions

Dear

Siyeon sighs, looking out over the city from her office at the top of House de Vil’s main company building. She’s completely drained after the umpteenth meeting with investors and event organisers today. Walking over to her desk, she makes sure her computer is turned off and slides her chair under the desk neatly, smiling slightly at the picture in front of her. In a black and white frame is a picture of her and her younger sister, Gahyeon. They were celebrating Siyeon taking over the company that day, posing in front of the company building.

 

Picking her purse and coat up from the table by her office door, she walks out, locking the door behind her. Handong smiles up at her from her own desk, phone by her ear and her right hand neatly taking notes. Siyeon spares her with a small wave, not wanting to disturb her assistant/friend. It has been busy lately, many fashion events in the middle of being planned, as well as Siyeon’s animal welfare fund finally lifting off. Handong has luckily been able to take most of the meetings on but some absolutely required Siyeon’s presence as CEO.

 

Despite her loving nature and love for attention and popularity visible to the outside world, in reality Siyeon is quite shy. Handong and Gahyeon are the only ones to truly know her and keep her safe within her comfort zone. Siyeon has no trouble walking runways or presenting at events but when it comes to socialising properly or conversing with others, she freezes up. Shaking her head as she reaches her car in the parking garage, she shoots Gahyeon a text. ‘I’ll be home soon, just leaving work now!’

 

Gahyeon smiles at her sister’s message and texts back a bunch of heart emojis. Setting her phone down on the couch, she walks into the kitchen to prepare some dinner for the two of them. Gahyeon enjoys living with her elder sister. The two of them have always been close and she likes helping Siyeon prepare for social events and meetings. She may not be interested in working for the family business but definitely is interested in her sister’s wellbeing.

 

As they settle for dinner, Siyeon hums in delight. She’s been waiting to enter the comfort of their home all day. ‘Thanks so much, Gahyeon. I really needed this.’ Her sister chuckles, happy that her sister is enjoying the meal. Noticing how tired her sister has been lately, she decided to make some tteokbeokki, one of her favourite foods. ‘You’re welcome. Was today that bad again?’ Siyeon simply shrugs, chewing softly on the rice cake in . ‘Meetings with old guys and investors. Too much social interaction.’ Gahyeon nods in understanding. Smiling softly, she makes her sister show her a shy smile herself. At least they always have each other.

 

‘Gahyeon, not again.’ Huffing, Siyeon crosses her arms looking at her younger sister sternly. ‘But, Signie! Look, they’ve never done something like this! I can prove myself to them and you!’ Sighing, she shakes her head. There it was again, the eternal discussion about whether Gahyeon is allowed to join the BPRD or not. The girl has always been intrigued by supernaturals and had a few supernatural friends growing up. Since she once saw the BPRD in action, saving a group of young children from a psychotic witch, she’s been wanting to join them, to do good. ‘Siyeon, I have been studying mythology and supernatural culture at university for 2 years now and I’m at the top of my class! I don’t want to just be a researcher or teacher. I want to be out in the field and help people with my knowledge!’

 

Gahyeon huffs sadly, sitting next to her sister on the couch, prying her crossed arms open and hugging her tightly. Siyeon rests her head on top of Gahyeon’s, letting her arms wrap around the younger girl. ‘I know. But I worry for you. I can’t lose you, Gahyeon.’ Siyeon knows Gahyeon can stand her own. After all, she had been the one to encourage the girl to take up martial arts in her free time. However, there’s something about her little sister actively being out there and using those skills that scares her. She’s seen the BPRD’s work and is proud of the work they do. Siyeon even has a small investment in their stocks, sponsoring them when she can. But letting her sister go and do the same crazy things those people do? It terrifies Siyeon.

 

‘I know. But think of all those people out there in need of help. Their families worry for them too, and they don’t have the financial capabilities, knowledge, nor fighting skills I do, Siyeon!’ Her sister is right, Gahyeon has always been top of her martial arts class as well as in university. She’d hate for her sister to have to take up a job she doesn’t love. After all, Siyeon already took over the family business just to make sure Gahyeon doesn’t have to. She loves fashion, but the business around it just isn’t her thing. Over time she’s learned to love it, of course, mainly thanks to her friends and colleagues at work.

 

Sighing, she pulls Gahyeon up out of their hugs and looks her in the eye. ‘Gahyeon, you mean the world to me and if anything were to happen to you, I’d be devastated.’ Gahyeon tears up at her sister’s words. ‘You mean the world to me too, Siyeon.’ Lips trembling, Siyeon closes her eyes. ‘When is this bootcamp business starting?’ Opening her eyes, she finds Gahyeon’s tears flowing freely, a happy smile on her face. Just that look alone solidifies her decision. ‘It’s in 2 weeks. I- sign-ups start next week.’ Nodding, she hugs Gahyeon again, letting her own tears fall. ‘Then you better start training more often again.’