A Bigger Goal

Someone Like You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                         "It's ing horrible!" Chaeyoung said. She was currently on her way back from the cafe downstairs, having had her fourth cup of coffee after staying late to fill out Mina's schedule, and getting up extra early to finish what couldn't be done last night. She reckoned she looked just like she felt, like a zombie. She heard Rain laugh over the phone as she told him about her ordeal.

                         "You're being dramatic," Rain said. Chaeyoung was actually offended at this point.

                         "I'm being dramatic?! This girl is something else," Chaeyoung said. "You know I don't get scared that easily, but she genuinely makes me uncomfortable."

                         "Listen, just relax. I chose you for this mission because I know you can do it. You got this." Rain's words were supposed to be comforting, but Chaeyoung was afraid nothing could comfort her at the moment. She was tired, worked for a crazy rich princess, and people who were counting on her.

                         "After we're done with this you owe me," Chaeyoung uttered. Rain laughed loudly over the speaker.

                         "If you get what we want we would all owe you, Chaeng." That was all Rain said before hanging up, leaving Chaeyoung to her thoughts.

                         "How's the assisting going?" Chaeyoung swiveled around at the somewhat familiar voice. It was Dahyun, who she met on her first day. Chaeyoung could only sigh at first.

                         "It's interesting. She's... interesting." Dahyn seemed amused at Chaeyoung's answer. 

                         "She's a lot, right?" Chaeyoung nodded. "Fear not, my friend. Because it may or may not get worse depending on whether she likes you or not." Chaeyoung shot Dahyun a questioning look.

                         "How would you know?"

                         "Because I used to be her assistant, a while ago now." There was a hint of bitterness in Dahyun's voice. Chaeyoung just stared at the girl as she tried to gauge Dahyun's emotions.

                         "She didn't like you?" Chaeyoung asked. Maybe she could use Dahyun's knowledge of Mina to her advantage. Dahyun had seemingly been with the company for a while so maybe she had other knowledge as well.

                         "At first she did. But, suddenly something changed and the next thing I knew I was demoted to janitor." Dahyun tried to make light of the situation, but Chaeyoung could tell there was something more to the story. The girl wore a small smile, but her eyes were full of sadness.

                         "Wow. I'm sorry she did that to you."

                         "No need. No matter what you do, she always find flaws within your work. Just don't give up." 

                         "Chaeyoung!" The voice was unmistakable at this point. She was met with the intense, dark eyes of Mina herself. "Shouldn't you be at your desk?" Chaeyoung noticed Mina hadn't even looked Dahyun's way, let alone said hello to her. Chaeyoung bowed as she quickly apologized. After saying goodbye to Dahyun, she hurriedly followed Mina towards the elevators. 

                         The silence was almost uncomfortable, as the two waited for the elevator to reach the top where Mina's office was located. The two literally stood at opposite ends, the massive space between them almost like no-man's land.

                        "You shouldn't associate yourself with her," Mina said suddenly. Chaeyoung was as shocked as she looked right now, as she eyed Mina out of the corner of her eye.

                        "She seems super nice."

                        "Yeah, well not everything is as it seems." Mina was now looking directly at Chaeyoung, h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter