Chapter 4

The Dragon in the Palace

 

 

“It’s just tea. A fancy mix of leaves but nothing more than plain tea” Had perplexedly declared Sehun, not sure if he was relieved or alarmed.

“Are you sure?” Mildly questioned Jongin, knowing deep down that he found the results of the tea’s tests not that surprising. The young Noble Consort had the vague feeling that he would be more surprised if the results had shown some kind of threatening substance.

“Yes. The Head of Medical Chemistry and the Royal Physician ran their tests twice to be sure”

“I guess we were wrong about the Consort Dowager’s intentions” Dared to suggest Jongin, worried about his spouse’s response to his comment.

Sehun puckered his lips in a displeased pout but didn’t rebut his spouse’s accurate observation. Jongin was right, and nothing Sehun felt about the issue changed that fact.

“I’m afraid I have to admit that we could have judged his actions hurriedly”

“We did what we needed to do” Reassured him firmly Jongin, leaving a kiss on his beloved’s cheek and hugging him tightly “This doesn’t change our need to keep an eye on the Dragon of the Valley, now that we found his capability to secretly exert his influence beyond his imprisonment”

“You are right again, my wise jewel” Chuckled in jest the Kim Prince before a worried expression darkened his features “Are you still alright about continuing with this charade? The moment you want to stop, I would support you in the same way I supported you when you wanted to start it, but I don’t want you to feel obliged to continue”

Jongin released a profound exhalation and uneasily fixed a stray lock of hair behind his ear before confessing some of the thoughts that had been troubling him lately. 

“I… I know it is not correct or prudent, but I have found myself sincerely enjoying my gatherings with Consort Dowager Jiyong. I have learnt some really interesting things from him … a man like the Dragon, who so dispassionately gave Minseok the key of his freedom with his head held high and his pride intact… a man like that could have very well chosen to rot alone in his cage than to show any glimpse of sympathy or anything beyond icy and forced politeness to any of us”              

“Is that what you are feeling towards him? Sympathy?” Inquired Sehun, a hint of uncertainty colouring his voice. 

“I don’t know” Confessed Jongin sincerely, letting his shoulders fall in agitation. “I just think that I’m starting to not hate to be in the presence of the Dragon of the Valley, even when I know I will never, ever forgive him for what he did to me. For how deeply he hurt me and the dreads he so dispassionately had planned to bring over our family and home” Continued the young carrier, staring right into his spouse’s eyes to add with concern. “Am I crazy for feeling this way, my love? Am I a repulsive person or a traitor, Sehun?”        

Sehun turned around and hugged his lover so fast, that the abrupt action left the young carrier momentarily dazed.

“No, my jewel. You are not crazy, repulsive, or a traitor. You are the most wonderful, compassionate, honourable and generous person that I and the Consort Dowager Jiyong have ever met. I’m just asking you to be cautious and watchful, but don’t you ever feel ashamed of your feelings or afraid to share them with me, even when I don’t possess the same nobility to not loathe that vile snake with a burning passion”

“Good, as I would need you to keep me on my toes like the considerate and indulgent spouse that you are, my love” Grinned the Noble Consort mischievously and seductively, feeling his mood less sour now that he had shared his burdens with Sehun.

“Why are you making it sound like an invitation to show you in our bed how considerate and indulgent I am?     

“Are you waiting for an actual sealed and signed invitation to carry me to our bed and me, my love?

“Seal your invitation with a kiss and I will carry you and you wherever you want, my jewel”  

Jongin’s wholehearted laugh was cut short when the couple started to heavily make out with complete disregard of anyone walking in on them in Sehun’s office.

To be fair, that was the last of the couple’s concerns. It wouldn’t be the first or the last time anyways.

 

 

 

 

 

When the Consort Dowager Kwon Jiyong heard the arrival of someone at his door, the gloomy and severe face of Prince Sehun was the last thing he was expecting to find. Intrigued, he scrubbed his dirty hands over his stained robes and tried to fix his appearance the best way he could. Appearances had always been an important shield in his arsenal.    

“Prince Sehun, your Highness” Hesitantly bowed and greeted Jiyong, his mind already evaluating hundreds of hypotheses of why the youngest Kim Prince was there. “I apologise for my unkempt appearance, and I hope you can forgive my lack of decorum”

“Lack of decorum is the lesser fault for what you should be concerned to be forgiven, Consort Jiyong” The plain tone in Sehun’s voice had a cold resentment that the younger man had no intention to conceal.

Jiyong braced himself for anything ranging from a sound slap, a spit on the face, a broken bone or the most degrading words the young Prince could articulate through clenched teeth. He could be the one at a disadvantage, but he wasn’t going to go down without a fight.    

“It would seem pointless, your Highness, but I’m not that self-centred to not be able to issue an apology when suitable”

“Have you ever apologised to Minseok or Jongin?”

“No, your Highness, I did not. I can be a cunning , but I’m not a liar. You have to regret your actions to issue a meaningful apology, and although I sincerely regret some of the outcomes of my actions, I do not, and would never, regret their motivations one single tiny bit, Prince Sehun” There was melted iron and challenge in Jiyong’s words, as well as a sense of finality that made perfectly clear that the topic was over ”If you allow me, your Highness, I would like to change my clothes and clean myself regardless”

It took a moment for Sehun to digest the older man’s words, but he schooled his face to not show his indignation. Only the fists behind his back tightened painfully to vent his feelings.   

“Do whatever you need to do, Consort Dowager, as long as you can hear me and pay close attention to what I came here to tell you” Conceded Sehun after giving Consort Jiyong a quick once-over to assess the situation.

It was evident that the Consort Dowager had been working on the gardens. His robes were soiled, especially on the lower parts and his thighs, where he had been cleaning his hands regularly. Some of his hair had escaped his long ponytail, with some of it sticking to his sweaty forehead or exposed neck. His hands were covered with dirt, with some scratches and cuts showing under it. How long had the elegant and refined Dragon of the Valley had been working in the gardens cutting branches, moving dirt and taking care of his silkworms?

“Thank you, your Highness” Replied the Consort with a respectful bow. “If you don’t mind, I would suggest you to stay closer to my folding screen, so I can hear you clearly without the need to raise your voice”     

Jiyong’s serene face didn’t betray the machinations working on his mind. He had been the receiver of that kind of intense, harsh and fiery sentiments before. This was a good opportunity to test the motivations behind them and the true nature of the young Prince’s unexpected visit. If the older man was right about his assumptions, he wasn’t going to be as reticent to give the young giver what he wanted from him as he had been with some of his most vocal detractors in the Valley Court. Jiyong had learnt to take power and leverage from where he could find it.

“After you, Consort Dowager” Sehun could despise the man, but still had manners. 

Both men walked toward the folding screen inside the Consort’s bedchambers. The screen was very near to the entrance, so Sehun didn’t have to actually step into the other man’s private chambers. The young Prince remained respectfully at the border of the bedchamber, giving Jiyong enough space to not feel uncomfortable, yet close enough to be heard clearly.

Behind the screen, Jiyong strategically placed the washbasin and the looking glass in a way that masked his intentions, at the same time that maximised the effect of his following actions.

“I’m aware that Jongin has been visiting you quite frequently these days, Consort Dowager” Begin Sehun, not wanting to beat around the bush. “He is intrigued by the silkworms and enjoys learning about the stars and planets, so I’m not overstating when I warn you that you could expect more frequent visits from him”

“I’m delighted to hear that, Prince Sehun, and I’m sure that I’m not overstating when I say that you are not, your Highness. Are you here to ask me to make up some excuse to prevent your spouse’s future visits?” Are you here to use me as a front to control Jongin’s conduct and decisions? Was the real meaning behind Jiyong’s question.  

The observation made Sehun swiftly raise his gaze from the floor, ready to vehemently retort the insinuation, but what he saw made him blush furiously, leaving him stunned and motionless.

 

Through the narrow space that the folding screen had inadvertently left uncover, Sehun saw the half- figure of the Dragon of the Valley. His back was facing him, but the Prince could clearly see on the looking mirror his equally well-built torso and plain abdomen, barely covered by the precariously tided robe around his slender hips. It was evident that the older man had taken off the upper part of his clothes to quickly wash his hands, forearms and face, most probably not wanting to make Sehun wait too long for him to get ready. Or not wanting to have Sehun around him for too long.

It should have taken longer for Sehun to say something than he first had estimated because unexpectedly, the brown almond eyes of the former ruler of the Valley Kingdom were staring at him through the looking glass. The carrier didn’t blink or showed any sign of bashfulness. He didn’t seem to care been almost , with water droplets sliding over his neck to his chest, and his robes untied in front of Sehun. Been seen like that by Sehun.

“Jongin is free to do what he feels is right for him, Consort Jiyong” Hurriedly clarified Sehun to break the uncomfortable moment, silently cursing the stuttering on his voice.

“So is that kind of relationship, your Highness?”

Those smug words were a double-edged sword. They were as much a backhanded slap as they were a bait. The Dragon of the Valley was mocking Sehun, but Sehun wasn’t too sure if that was all the older man was trying to do. Straightening his body, the young Prince deflected his gaze from Jiyong’s eyes toward the inside of the room. The ruffle of fabric let Sehun know that the Consort was finally changing his clothes.

The Dragon of the Valley was indeed a cunning to the very core of his darkened soul, and Sehun was not going to play his games.

“It is indeed that kind of relationship, Consort Jiyong. One where we love and respect each other too much to undermine our dignity as individuals”            

“If you are not going to forbid Noble Consort Jongin’s visits, then why you are here, Prince Sehun?” Asked with genuine curiosity the other man while taking a step out of the folding screen.

Sehun had never fathomed the idea of witnessing the poised man so unravelled and human. The Dragon of the Valley was aloof, untouchable, flawless, magnificent, beautiful and unhuman. The man in front of the youngest Kim Prince was a different kind of animal. The Consort’s clothes were simple, light, without any ornament or jewel to enhance his natural beauty. He didn’t need any of those tricks.

Jiyong’s pretty face was framed by long and lustrous dark hair, now completely free from his previous ponytail. His petite body was perfectly clasped by flattering robes that insinuated but didn’t revealed, the attractive body underneath. A body that Sehun had already seen by mistake. The heavy title of Consort Dowager seemed jarring for the man now regally standing in front of Sehun. It was easy to forget that Jiyong got married, gave birth to three children, became a widower and started a reign that lasted twenty years before he himself turned twenty years old.         

The carrier had a clean and youthful beauty that felt more dangerous and appealing than his usual perfectly tailored appearance. Like a trap prepared to seduce a vulnerable and credulous prey or a luring reward for a potentially generous patron. Sehun was sure that, if he had wished to, the Dragon of the Valley would let him take him, undress him, kiss him, touch him and fill the space between his legs on his bed.

Jiyong seemed convinced that that was Sehun’s purpose. Kwon Jiyong was wrapped as an expensive prize, really to be handed to the winner.  

Sehun wasn’t sure if he should be feeling sad, disgusted or horrified. 

“I’m here to tell you this, Consort Dowager Jiyong. Lee Jongin has the most precious and wonderful soul, so beautiful, that he can even care for unworthy people like you. If you ever dare to hurt him again, I swear that I will kill you” Prince Sehun’s voice was steady and even, making the threat even more chilling “Hurt my beloved’s heart, betray his goodness, make the love of my life cry a single tear and I will kill you with my bare hands and make it look like a suicide, the Gods above are my witnesses, Dragon of the Valley Kwon Jiyong”

The memory of almost identical words that had been pronounced in a distant past made Jiyong’s eyes shine with secret tears and his chest shrink painfully. The love and devotion, the desperation and truthfulness on that warning hurt Jiyong more than any blow on the face. Jiyong had already picked the clues of Jongin’s love for his spouse during their meetings, but he hasn’t been sure about Prince Sehun’s position. Now it was unquestionable that Prince Sehun and Noble Consort Jongin truly loved each other and were very happy together.

The openness in which Lee Jongin and Kim Sehun could live their love was a cruel reminder of what Seunghyun and he never had.

“I will take your warning at heart, your Highness, and I will treat Noble Consort Jongin with all the consideration and respect that he truly deserves” Proffered Jiyong with a sober bow, making enormous efforts to not let his voice or posture expose the turmoil in his heart.

“That’s all I needed to tell you, Consort Dowager. I would let you now enjoy the rest of your day” And with that, Sehun turned around and left the chambers of the prisoner of the East Empire.

The rhythmic movement of Jiyong’s shoulders and the muted sound of his sobs were the only signs of his heartbreaking crying. In solitude, the former ruler of the Valley Kingdom wept for all the possibilities he was unable to live with his beloved Seunghyun. For all the shared future they would never have.

The peace of the room wasn’t disturbed by the Consort’s laments.

He had learnt how to cry in silence a long time ago.

 

 

 

 

 

Noble Consort Jongin visited the Dragon of the Valley the next day. He didn’t mention his spouse’s visit, and Jiyong correctly deduced that Sehun hasn’t say anything about it. Jiyong could have said something to make Sehun look bad, but he was sure Jongin wasn’t going to believe him. The Noble Consort could be cute, but he was very perceptive. If Jiyong tried to gain his sympathy with bent truths, the younger carrier would catch him immediately.

“Is this for been taking care of the silkworms, Consort Jiyong?” The concern tone on Jongin’s voice was sincere. The Noble Consort’s hand had almost touched Jiyong’s injured ones before refraining himself to do something so intimate and improper.  

“No, your Highness” Quickly clarified the older carrier, extending his hands to let the other man see that they were not that damaged “I have been working on the gardens. Some of the bushes haven’t been adapting that well so I had to take extra care of them. Having healthy mulberry bushes is crucial during this stage”

“Because the silkworms are going to spin their cocoons soon?”

“You have a good memory, your Highness” The curiosity on Jongin’s voice made Jiyong smile gently. “Yes, they are going to do that in a few days”

“I see…” Murmured the young Consort to himself. He wanted to ask something, but he still favoured a cautious behaviour around the other carrier.

“Do you want to see how much they have grown, your Highness?”

“If they are not going be too disturbed…”

“Not at all, your Highness. Wait here please while I bring the trays”

When Jiyong brought the trays and opened them, Jongin’s eyes widen in surprise.

“They are so big. I can’t believe that not long ago they were nothing but small dots”

“They pass through several remarkable transformations throughout their lifecycle, your Highness. It’s not a surprise that the valuable silk comes from these extraordinary creatures”

“But.. when are they going to produce that silk?” Asked Jongin with a frown, apparently unable to refrain his curiosity much longer.

“The silk comes from their cocoons. For extracting the silk, we have to subject the cocoons to a stifling process to kill the worm inside before they can tear them up when breaking free. To maintain the continuity of the silk filament making up the cocoons, they have to be boiled to extract the silk filament neatly. You only allow some of the silkworms to survive for production purposes”

The dismayed expression on Jongin’s face didn’t surprise Jiyong. Being sericulture a secret, it was impossible to imagine the gruesome truth behind the beautiful and delicate final product.

“That’s… that’s very cruel”

“It could be seen like that, your Highness” Admitted Jiyong shrugging his shoulder “But anything worthwhile requires sacrifices. It’s only through their sacrifice that these humble creatures can metamorphose into rich silk”    

“Isn’t any other way to get silk?”

“I’m afraid there’s non if you don’t want to lower the quality of the silk filament, your Highness. The bigger the prize, the bigger the price”

“Some prices seemed too high to pay”

“Some lack the courage to play, your Highness” Casually declared Jiyong, covering the trays to take them back to their place “Sometimes you have to do what it needs to be done regardless the resentment your actions can stir. My State’s wellbeing depends on sericulture, so we honour our silkworms by producing the most refined silk. Me ruffling some archaic and useless feathers at the Valley Court during my regency certainly didn’t make me as well-liked as my late King” Chuckled amusingly the Consort of the Valley Kingdom while walking toward the stockroom with the trays, probably remembering the many occasions where he had mercilessly crushed some of his enemies to dust with gusto.   

But it had been the repetition of something that Jongin had previously found odd what made the young Consort’s mouth ran faster than his common sense.

“You never mention King Yang using his name or call him your spouse” Puzzledly blurted Jongin, immediately realising that his vocalised thoughts had made the other man abruptly halt his steps. The young Consort’s embarrassment made his face catch fire and his tongue stammer, absolutely mortified. “I’m very sorry, Consort Jiyong… please forgive my rudeness… I didn’t…”

“It’s alright, your Highness. The truth is never offensive” Jiyong mellow voice immediately interrupted Jongin’s rambling. “I was never requested to call him in any other fashion while I was under his service, and I don’t consider proper to call him differently now. As his Consort, I understood my role and fulfilled my duties diligently, so minor details like that one weren’t really anything of my concern” Clarified Jiyong, continuing his walk toward the stockroom to replace the trays and return to the room where a conflicted Jongin was waiting. 

The apathy in Jiyong’s voice made clear that he had been sincere in his statement. There wasn’t a glimpse of resentment or embarrassment on his tone for agreeing to be reduced to a bed-companion as part of a loveless and unequal arranged marriage. The Valley Consort was simply explaining the stone-cold facts of his marriage with professional detachment. 

“I’m sorry… anyways, Consort Dowager” Jongin wasn’t sure if his sentiments were due to his reprehensive slip of the tongue or the Dragon’s obviously unhappy marriage.

“Don’t be, Consort Jongin” Assured swiftly Jiyong “I took my own decisions fully aware of what I was doing and why. Don’t take my words in the wrong way, your Highness. I’m not a feeble victim of Destiny. I saw an opportunity and I took it. I had the courage to make the required sacrifices. Metamorphosis, your Highness”

“I never dared to think of you as a feeble victim, Consort Dowager” Almost snorted Jongin, finding the idea of anyone pondering the infamous Dragon of the Valley as frail or helpless frankly amusing.

“And what do you think of me, Consort Jongin?”

That made Jongin recoil instinctively. What did he really think of the Dragon of the Valley, Kwon Jiyong?

The Dragon’s gaze was unassumingly wandering around the room. He seemed unperturbed waiting for Jongin to talk, but the slight pull on the corner of his mouth said otherwise. The Dragon of the Valley was apprehensive, if not concerned, about Jongin’s opinion of him.

“I think that you had taken some choices that I would never take, some of them with outcomes that unfortunately went beyond yourself, but I hope that at least you are not that obtuse to not realise that your current state is nothing more than the result of what your own decisions had brought to yourself. That’s what I think of you, Consort Dowager”

The placid expression on Jongin’s face, half-covered by his ever-present metallic mask, was the perfect frame for the fire burning in his eyes. Lee Jongin was strong, full of determination and character. It didn’t surprise Jiyong that Prince Sehun loved this brave and kind man so fiercely to promise an unsanctioned murder to ensure his spouse’s wellbeing and safety.

“I’m aware of my situation, Consort Jongin, and I accept it wholeheartedly” The Dragon’s body was straight, his chin held as high as the royal protocol allowed him to, and his hands properly crossed one over the other on his thighs. His stare hung heavily on Jongin but not in a threatening way, mimicking the seriousness of his next words “I have indeed done many questionable things, most of them without regret, but I can tell you this only to you, Noble Consort Jongin. I genuinely regret hurting you from the bottom of my unyielding heart. I regret that my hand dented your beauty and nicked your heart. I left to your consideration if you believe my words or not. That’s your prerogative, your Highness”

Anything that Jongin had intended to reply got stuck on his throat. The rage and grief filling his chest made him take a few quick breaths to maintain his composure and don’t cry in front of the older carrier. Was Jiyong playing some of his sneaky games with him? Making fun of him?

Jongin was not in the mood to be part of any sick game.  

“Is that why you have been bearing with me until now, Consort Jiyong?” Questioned Jongin with aplomb, his half-mask shielding his emotions “Do you pity me?”

“I would never dare to pity you, your Highness” The earnestness on Jiyong’s tone showed no trace of doubt or sneer “You are too strong to ever let yourself become a feeble victim either, Consort Jongin, and I respect that” Added the Dragon, tightening the grip on his hands as if disconcerted by his next admission and conflicted to have to say it aloud “As for your visits, I must confess that I simply enjoy the time you let me spend with you, Consort Jongin. You can do with that information what you consider most prudent, your Highness”

The confession had to have cost the proud Dragon of the Valley more than the pain of his nails viciously digging into his flesh. However, his regal expression didn’t change one bit. He was still the perfect image of equanimity and self-control that had made him so infamous.

The Dragon of the Valley was as much a mystery as his silkworms and Sky Maps, and Jongin found that he was increasingly intrigued with them.

“Did you finally emerge as a moth, Consort Jiyong?” The young carrier’s voice was soft yet not condescending. His question was sincere and demanded a sincere answer.   

“I think I rather bequeath to the Valley Kingdom the longest, glossiest and resilient silk filament I was able to produce, your Highness” Replied Jiyong with a sly smile that he didn’t seem to have any intention to mask as anything else, before adding lightly. “I hope I can replicate my success here by producing some silk with good enough quality to not embarrass my ancestors and myself in front of you, Consort Jongin. I would be very disappointed if my demonstration of sericultural practices don’t meet the expectations, your Highness” 

“I’m finding the process too fascinating to expect to be disappointed at any stage, Consort Jiyong. Except for that issue with the boiling water. I still find it disturbing”

“I understand. We can skip that part to save you the grisly details if you want to, Your Highness”

If you are going to come back.

“I would prefer that Consort Dowager. Thank you. I must retire now”

A deep bow from Jiyong and a quick nod to acknowledge it from Jongin and the door of the Dragon’s prison was closed again until further notice. Until Jongin walked again into the Dragon’s den to keep inquiring about stars, silk and ambitious Dragons.

Although there were tears on Jongin’s eyes, his steps felt lighter than ever before. His quiet sobs came from relief, not sadness. He had faced the Dragon, the one putting that mask on his marred face, and had prevailed. The heavy weight on his chest had now been lifted. The young Noble Consort chuckled between wiping away his tears imagining his spouse’s face when he recounted what happened that day.

Inside the Consort Dowager’s chambers, the Dragon of the Valley was meticulously examining his hands. There were scratches and cuts all over his once flawless skin, and it was starting to get difficult to justify their deplorable condition. Soon he would have to take care of it. It was going to hurt like a , but there was no other option. Sacrifices and rewards. Jiyong wouldn't have it any other way.

The abrupt visit of Prince Sehun had been both good and bad news. It meant that the change of heart of Noble Consort Jongin was now noticeable enough to raise his spouse’s concerns. But acknowledging those changes meant that Jongin was going to have to choose what to do about it. A choice that could keep the younger carrier away from the Dragon’s golden cage and the spiderweb of his influence.  

Under this scenario, Jiyong had decided that the most prudent course of action was to take a risk. All or nothing. The higher the cost, the higher the gain.

Because if Prince Lee Jongin were to cross that door again after his heartfelt confession, he would keep coming back to Jiyong.

 

 

A Jiyong that was more than ready to embrace the sweet and gentle Noble Consort Jongin into his wings.