Chapter 8

The Dragon in the Palace

 

 

Inside the Star Reader’s study room, several chests with equipment were moved around, taking or adding stuff for the Regent’s approaching travel.

“Consort Regent, you forgot this chest.” Expertly lied Captain Choi, showing a box that was not part of the original assortment of equipment. A chest that Jiyong had certainly not missed. Among similar chests, the swapped box went unnoticed to any of the soldiers around them.

The chest was heavy when Jiyong took it into his arms.

The clandestine couple exchanged a knowing stare.

The Royal Guard bowed to his ruler, going back to give orders and instructions to his Guards.

 

 

 

 

 

The news started to spread through the Valley Court like wildfire. It was appalling, and everybody was trying to get the lasted updates. Every vague detail was consumed with a mix of concern and disbelieve.

The Consort Regent had been involved in an accident while riding towards the forest clearing where he was going to observe the stars. The horse had gone crazy. A fox crossed and scared the animal. The Consort Regent had been reckless. He was galloping to reach the place faster and lost control of the horse.

There were many guesses about the cause, but not on the result. The Consort Regent had fallen from his horse and had been rushed into his chambers. It had been all done is such a frenzy that the few witnesses that were around at that moment only got a glimpse of a limp body wrapped in bloodied silk been carried by a sprinting Royal Guard. The physician had not left the ruler’s chambers since then, adding anxiety into the speculations of what had happened and, more importantly, what was the current state of the Consort Regent. Was he alright? Was he awake? Was he even alive?

“Ministers, may I have your attention please?” The deep and stern voice of the Royal Guard, Captain Choi Seunghyun, cut the noises and conversations on the Court Room. He was still on his armour, soiled with dirt and blood traces. “I am afraid I have to request for all of you to return to your houses and do not leave them until further notice. A Guard would be assigned for your protection. I encourage you to comply with this guideline for your own safety.”

“What do you mean with our own safety?” Inquired Minister Jeong abruptly. His tone has come more uncertain than he had intended, reflecting the apprehension of everyone.

“There are reasons to believe this was not an accident, and we need to make sure we will not have another incident like this one soon. The Council’s safety is now under direct Royal protection, Ministers.” Was all that Captain Choi said before tilting his head to signal the entrance of multiple Guards that walked straight towards their appointed Ministers.

The silent and handsome Royal Guard bowed respectfully to everyone in the room before leaving the room promptly. His Guards had their orders and Seunghyun had his own work to do.

His cunning and precious lover had already done his part.

A cold panic washed over the Ministers. If they were now under the Royal Guard’s direct protection, who was guarding the Consort Regent?

Was there still a Consort Regent to protect?

Chaos never got so loud than when no one was able to emit a sound.

 

 

 

 

 

“Your Highness, thank you for coming.” Bowed the Dragon of the Valley as soon as the older carrier saw Jongin crossing his door. “I hope this means that you have more time in your hands now.”

It had a tactful way to ask about the health of Jongin’s spouse without seeming intrusive. Jiyong was a master on implying too much while saying practically nothing about it. Jongin found it amusing and had to recognise that he was a little envious. The Noble Consort was a person that wore his heart on his sleeve.

“Not yet, Consort Dowager. I am afraid I cannot stay for long due to that.” Admitted Jongin, following Jiyong to the garden, where the cocoons were drying.

“You did not need to come if it would inconvenient you, Your Highness.” Observed Jiyong calmly, stating a fact more than trying to be argumentative, showing the basket with cocoons for Jongin to bring them inside.

“I promised you I was coming, Consort Dowager.” Was Jongin’s simple reasoning. The way Jiyong’s brown eyes looked at him when he took the basket from Jongin’s arms was strange, judicious, and was promptly replaced by a gentle smile and a nod.

Today, Jiyong was going to execute the most crucial part of his plan.

The Dragon of the Valley gestured Jongin to take a seat to start the explanation about the reeling process. His demure expression did not betray the trepidation of his heart.

 

 

 

 

 

The Consort Regent was alive, if not unhurt.

From his throne, Jiyong’s expression was unreadable. His posture and attire were perfect, looking as beautiful and daunting as always despite having his left arm on a splint and a slight limp when he walked through the Council Room.  

“I think I do not need to explain to you why we are here so I will skip the niceties, Ministers.” Jiyong’s voice was even, giving nothing to guess his thoughts and next actions. It was unnerving for the Valley Ministers, whose first news about the state of the Consort Regent had been this abrupt reunion. “We are here to conduct a trial for treason.”

The collective gasp and wide eyes glaring at him did not make the Dragon even blink.  

“What do you mean, Consort Regent?” Asked one of the Ministers with an angry frown, as if deciding if this was a sick joke or a childish tantrum. “Captain Choi said there were suspicions that your accident was not such. Suspicions are not enough to call a trial, especially if we do not have anyone to judge, Your Majesty.”

“Of course I was not going to call all of you to discuss nonsense and waste our precious time, Minister Nam.” Frowned Jiyong annoyed, straightening his back to get more comfortable before releasing the words that brought immediate havoc into the tense room with an eerily casual and unsettling mellow voice. “We are here to judge Minister Bu.”

“How dare you to accuse me of anything, wretch?!” Screamed said Minister, his face twisted with rage and his trembling finger pointed right towards a serene Jiyong. “If you want to with someone, go that lapdog of yours like the disgusting you truly are.”

“Do you have evidence to support those allegations, Minister Bu?” Asked Jiyong unperturbed, moving his cold eyes among the other attendants. “Does any of you have it? No? No one? Unlike you, I do not go around tarnishing anyone’s reputation without evidence and I do have evidence to accuse you of trying to kill me, Minister Bu.”

For the first time, Jiyong’s face showed a glimpse of emotion. A fleeting emotion that froze everyone on their places and made Minister Bu hold his breath and shut his mouth.

“Where do I start? Let us start with the causes of my accident.” The Dragon of the Valley smiled, his beautiful face and pretty figure covered in fashionable robes making the stone-cold expression on his eyes even more menacing. “The strap of my ridding saddle was cleverly cut underneath, leaving a very thin layer of leather to keep it together. The cut was clean, and it could easily go unnoticed. On the lower part of the saddle, wet dirt was spread on the leather to gradually rub and reveal the thrones and spiky husks underneath. No horse would be able to tolerate the pain, and the earthy materials would have got lost in the aftermath if one did not know where to look.”

The Dragon of the Valley raised from his seat and, with a quick movement of his graceful hand, a servant presented a thick bundle of papers. The ministers recognised them immediately. There were testimonies collected during their brief confinement when they had been interviewed to find out if someone else had been at risk to become the next target. Supposedly.

“All of you were questioned about everyone’s whereabouts during the last hours, but more importantly, during Minister Bu’s celebration the night before.” Explained Jiyong, caressing the paper as if it was a sleeping cat. “Minister Bu was careful to talk and interact with everyone during that night. I guess he never expected that everyone’s accounts would be crossed to find out that missing hour he used to sneak into the stable and mess with my saddle.”

“What... what are you talking about?” Retorted Minister Bu stuttering, clutching his fists in fear and wrath.

“One of the stable staff saw a servant around the place during the aforementioned missed hour. She did not think anything about it as servants come and go at any time. But this was no servant.” Continued the Dragon, opening a bag that was at the throne’s foot to show the contents he was describing. “These clothes, the same ones the stable staff described, were later found buried with a dagger on your garden inside a bag. The boots still have crusts of mud, manure and hay. The dagger is yours.”  

“You are trying to frame me!”

“You did not have time to get rid of these. You tough you would have time during my funeral, I suppose. Do you see these bloodstains? You have a cut on your left hand. You said it had been an accident when you consulted the physician the next morning, pressured by your concerned wife. You never considered that leather would be that tough to cut, didn’t you? You even left your dried blood on a spot on the leather. How could you have noticed that? It was very dark. I do not blame you.”   

“Now you are using my clumsiness to accuse me! It was an accident. In my house!”

“The clothes are from one of your servants. He recognised them at once. He thought he had lost them, he was worried, you shushed him with new clothes because you did not want to deal with trifles the day of your important celebration with the Ministers. I would rather be dealing with this burden too but here I am.”

“How… you… what…” Jiyong ignored the inarticulate stammering, turning around and taking a seat on his throne again.

“Your turn to present your defence, Minister Bu.” The Dragon of the Valley’s condescending smile enraged the other man to the point of making him pant and grasp like he had been running for kilometres without stopping for air.  

“Who is going to believe you? You are a liar. All you want is to bring ruin and madness into this land and drag everyone down. You are a demon, Kwon Jiyong.”

“You still have not learnt to present your arguments providing valid arguments and underpin your statements with some facts, didn’t you?” Jiyong’s pretty wide eyes looked so serious, so mocking, that Minister Bu lost it and ran towards him ready to strangle him.

Captain Choi’s soldiers caught the infuriated man before he could take two steps, each of them taking one of his swinging arms. The dark Royal Guard stood in position near the Consort Regent, never leaving his side but monitoring the group of flabbergasted Ministers from the distance and sending tactical signals to his team.

“If there are not arguments in Minister Bu’s defence, I urge this Council to follow the Valley Kingdom Code and sentence Minister Bu to death for the crime of attempting on the Regent’s life. I would not vote on this, so the sentence would not be sullied by suspicions of prejudice or injustice on my part. It is your call, Ministers.” Like that, Jiyong handed the life of one of their own to his Ministers.

There was nothing that could save Minister Bu. All the evidence condemned him. He had tried to kill the Valley Kingdom ruler, there was no doubt about that. Even he had not tried to prove his innocence. Jiyong was right. Minister Bu had broken the law bringing shame to the Council, the pillar of rectitude for the Valley Kingdom. Minister Bu had to die.

“We sentence Minister Bu to public death and would be confined to solitary imprisoned until the moment to carry out his sentence.” Declared the Lead Minister, sealing the faith of their disgraced colleague, who paled so quick that he looked dizzy.    

“If you allow me, I have a suggestion.” Interceded the Consort Regent before the Guards could take the man to his cell. “Minister Bu acted alone. There is no evidence of anyone else’s involvement in his plans. A public punishment would only bring distrust towards the Council’s integrity and dishonour and humiliation to his family. They are innocent, and they do not deserve to deal with the shameful aftermath of this man’s actions. He can avoid the degradation of imprisonment and public death if he accepts to carry out his sentence now. In private.”

“You seem to know everything, Consort Regent, so you already know my answer.” Struggled to steady his voice the Minister, clutching his teeth to control his fury and anguish.  

“Objections?” Asked lightly Jiyong due to pure protocol, but no one dared to say anything. “Very well, Minister Bu. You are a brave man, misguided, yes, but very brave indeed. I have to admit that.” Acknowledged the Dragon of the Valley, fixing his elegant robes and taking the dagger that had been part of the evidence to walk steadily towards the trapped man. “You took this dagger and were ready to deal with the weight of taking a life all on your own. I will honour that bravery by not delegating to others the task to take yours.”

It all happened in an instant. In one moment, the regal carrier was in front of the prisoner and the next one he was pressed against him, ing the dagger on his hand deep into the other man’s guts.

“I had so much fun watching you dig your own grave, Minister Bu.” Whispered Jiyong on the Minister’s ear in a low voice full of venom and laughs before backing away.

The Minister’s eyes widen horrified in realisation.

Jiyong had known about his plan the whole time.

“Captain Choi.” Was all the Dragon of the Valley had to say and the Royal Guard’s sword decapitated the wounded man cleanly. No one saw him getting so close or aiming his cut so impeccability that he did not harm the soldiers at the Minister’s sides. What they saw was the bloodied result of the actions of the frightening man now standing stoically in the middle of the Council Room with a severed head at his feet.

“Lead Minister, may I commission you to inform his family and coordinate a proper funeral? If we do not have anything else to discuss, you can consider yourself dismissed. Thank you for your hard work, Ministers. I am afraid I will have to skip the next meeting following the physician’s orders. I am deeply sorry for the inconvenience.” Informed Jiyong earnestly, lowering his stare to show his seriousness. His hand was dripping fresh blood. The front of his beautiful gowns was stained with crimson splashes. His petite figure covered in a man’s life was the perfect example of regal grace.

The Ministers saw their dauntless Consort Regent exit the Council Room with his dark and terrifying Royal Guard, leaving behind the beginning of the legend of the infamous and heartless Dragon of the Valley.

 

 

 

 

 

Captain Choi had followed Minister Bu like a shadow. He catalogued his every move. He saw him built his plan and foresaw his intentions. No one noticed the formidable giver taking note of the evidence of Minister Bu’s crime to later collected it. Seunghyun was lethal because you never saw him coming until you had a sword between your ribs.  

Seunghyun took the light armour next to him and checked its resistance. It was a training armour that recruits used for their exercises. It was lighter and less bulky than a regular armour, easier to use too with fewer parts to wear, and was designed to protect during low-level training. It was perfect for his plan.

The Royal Guard set aside one arm protection, putting the other parts of the light armour on the chest. It would be suspicious if Jiyong fell from a horse without getting a scratch. He did not need Jiyong’s confirmation that he was willing to follow the giver’s plan. The military man knew his lover too well to assume that a broken bone and a few bruises would deter the Dragon.

Jiyong was efficient. Why bother with the branches when you can take down the whole tree by cutting the trunk? Why not force your enemy to show their true ugly face instead of letting them hide behind unsuspected puppets over and over again?

In contrast to common belief, the Consort Regent was able to compromise when the argument was reasonable. He had changed part of his proposals or even dismissed them if people proved him that it would make more harm than good. The Dragon of the Valley was a fair ruler that followed the law because injustice would only destroy his hard work.

That is why he had waited. Why he did not incriminate Minister Bu or any of his enemies in false felonies or murdered them in the shadows. Why he eliminated his adversaries in plain sight and for offences they brought to themselves. The Dragon of the Valley was many things for the Valley people but during his long reign, no one deemed him unfair or unfounded.      

It did not mean that he was going to passively withstand the stones thrown to him.

“Sprint the horse at my signal.” Wrote the Royal Guard in a piece of paper he placed inside the chest before closing the lid. Jiyong would burn the paper and follow his note and wordless instructions blindly. The Consort Regent trusted Seunghyun. The explanations would come later.

Choi Seunghyun and Kwon Jiyong’s love story could not be perfect, but they were perfect for each other.  

 

 

 

 

 

“…then take this part like this and pull it gently. Yes, like that your Highness.” Patiently instructed Jiyong, showing the process with as much detail as he could with stiff hands, letting Jongin try to replicate the actions after that.

“It is more difficult than I expected. I am not sure if I can do it.” Confessed the younger carrier. His whole concentration was invested on trying to apply the right amount of pressure to continue reeling the silk string and not break it, but the lack of feedback made him turn his sight towards his silent instructor.   

“Yes… yes, sometimes… sometimes it is, Consort Jongin.” Faltered the impenetrable Dragon of the Valley, startling a perplexed Jongin. The older carrier was trying to hold a calm expression, but the trembling on his lips was only creating a grim smile.  

“Consort Dowager…?” Tried to say Jongin, but he was too flustered to know what to say. The heartless former Regent of the Valley Kingdom, the infamous man that had ruled his Kingdom with an iron fist, was crumbling piece by piece in front of him and Jongin had no idea what was happening anymore.

“I am sorry…” Panted the Dragon breathlessly, closing his eyes to keep himself together. “I… have something I have to confess. You have been too kind, too generous with me… and I cannot do this anymore. Not to you. But I…I… I know I do not deserve it, but please… please… I beg you for mercy.”

“What did you do?” Jongin’s voice came thin like a whisper, all the muscles on his body becoming stones and his veins rivers of ice. The young Consort’s head was hazy, and his heart skipped a beat when he saw the older man bent his body and sob. “Kwon Jiyong, what did you do to beg for your life?”    

“I am not begging for my life, Your Highness.” Assured him Jiyong with wavering aplomb, glaring at Jongin with so much toughness, resolution, fear, sorrow, protectiveness and hope on his shiny eyes that the Lee Prince held his breath.

Jiyong was shivering and letting his tears freely wet his face while embracing his midsection with the determination of a wounded, trapped animal when he was able to talk again.

“I am begging for another’s life, Consort Jongin.” Jiyong’s sad smile was full of love and infinite affection. “I am with child. Soon, I am going to give birth to Captain Choi’s offspring, and I need your help to do it in secret and smuggled our child to the Valley Kingdom.”    

A loud gasp escaped Jongin’s hands covering his mouth while the Noble Consort paled.

 

 

 

 

 

While preparing his afternoon tea, The Dragon of the Valley saw the world outside his lattice window with indifference. The subtle sound of the water boiling, and the smell of herbs was relaxing. With care, the Consort Dowager of the Valley Kingdom served his tea in a delicate china cup and wait patiently for it to cool down enough to drink it.

 

The Dragon of the Valley was dormant in his confinement. The fight was over. His Kingdom and his children were safe. Seunghyun was in charge. The days could repeat one after the other indefinitely and Jiyong could not care less.

There was no motive to threaten the delicate state of things.

Bloodstains were difficult to wash away, and the Consort Dowager Kwon Jiyong preferred to used bloodshed within reason.

 

Jiyong absently grabbed the cup of tea to take a sip, still looking at the window. The tea was bitter and left an acrid taste in his mouth that he had not noticed before.

The cup felt from Jiyong’s trembling hands, shattering by the force of the impact and leaving a puddle of hot tea over the floor. The Consort Dowager did not even notice the tea stains on his pristine robes. His wide eyes were fixed on the teapot and the familiar herbs floating inside. The tea… the strange taste of the tea was…could it be that…?

 

The last time he had experienced revulsion to otherwise perfectly fine food tastes had been when he had been with child.

Random food had had weird flavours during the first stages of his pregnancies. Just like now with the habitual tea he had been drinking since the day he arrived at the East Empire.

How long was that?

 

Frenetically, the Dragon of the Valley cleared his work desk with a single move of his hand, placing a new sheet on it to do some calculations. His hands worked quickly, not bothering to keep his writing neat or steady. How long had he been locked down here? How many days, weeks, months? He just wished he were not too late to do something about it.

 

Two months. It had been two months since he became the prisoner of the East Empire.

Two months and one week since he married Seunghyun.

They had indulged in a newlywed’s dream for one week while preparing his departure and setting everything ready for Minho’s ascension to the throne.

They had consummated their love and their marriage during that week.

Jiyong had been ready to die.

And now, a new life was growing inside him.

 

The Dragon of the Valley burned the paper immediately after checking the calculations of his rushed plan one last time. He would be able to work the details of this plan now inside the security of his cunning mind.

The pretty dark eyes of the man inside the golden cage glowed while watching the last candle on the room burn down.

The dormant Dragon stirred his claws and bared his teeth in the darkness.

 

Jiyong was fiery protective of his children. He had nursed his offspring with all his love and soul. He had fought for all of them and he was going to fight and protect his and Seunghyun’s child with the same fervour.

The Dragon of the Valley was a prisoner, but he will kill and betray whoever he needed to keep his unborn child safe.

No child of his was going to ever be used as a pawn or a threat to punish him, his family or his Kingdom.

Kwon Jiyong could be a dormant Dragon, but he was not a defeated one.     

 

The Consort Dowager Kwon Jiyong, the infamous Dragon of the Valley, had a plan to execute.

 

 

 

 

 

The Dragon of the Valley started to write coded letters to his paramour, accomplice, spouse, and giver of his child.

“One of the letters mentions ten stars from the Root Mansion, which only can be The Imperial Guard asterism. From the same Mansion, there is a mention of the Celestial Milk. This asterism represents the Prince’s mother. Also, in the same letter, there is a mention of him feeling comforted by the tough that the three stars of the Group of Soldiers’ asterism are shining as brightly over the Valley Kingdom as over the East Empire. This seems to be a mistake. This asterism only has two stars but is part of the duo that conforms the Heart Mansion. The other one is the one that has three stars: The Heart, which represents the Azure Dragon’s Heart. All these stars are part of the Azure Dragon of the East, the Beast for Spring.”

 

I love you, Seunghyun. I love you, my Moon. You have my heart.

 

“It seems that the Consort Dowager is indeed using the stars to communicate what he cannot say aloud. He mixed four asterisms from the Room Mansion: The Eastern and Western Gateways from the Crafty Harassment, the Lock and the Azure Dragon’s Belly in the middle, and included a mention of “two stars”, which had to be the Witch Doctor asterism, all after commenting something about craving some ginger tea.”

 

I am with child, Seunghyun. We are going to be parents.

 

“This is from an obscure group of stars, The Three Enclosures. They are the Hidden Virtue and the Astrologer. The latter is clearly about the Dragon, but the former is about “hidden matters of the Emperor and prohibited to know”. The Sky Reader’s interpretation is that Consort Kwon is asking to keep something a secret.”

 

Do not tell our children. Not even Minho.

Keep it a secret.

 

The Royal Guard send lavender and mint to help his spouse control his spouse’s nausea. A selected assortment of flowers and plants mingled with other ornamental flowers that the old books prescribed to cope with other pregnancy symptoms. Bouquets of seemingly innocuous plants that were crucial for their plans and that the old books could transform into something else entirely.

He sent regular deliveries of Jisoo’s favourite tea. A tea with relaxing properties and smooth flavour that the young princess happily agreed to send to her parent under Seunghyun’s suggestion disguised like a fleeting comment. He had been the one dropping some subtle words here and there on Jiwon’s ears that eventually landed on Lady Dami’s ones. Words that became silkworms and mulberry bushes. He had been the one murmuring on King Minho’s ears about letting him in charge of personally manage the delivery of the family correspondence with their parent instead of delegating the menial job to his Royal Secretary, as it should be by protocol.  

No one suspected how well Seunghyun knew how to pull and push strings using the less intromission possible.

Captain Choi Seunghyun followed his spouse’s instructions closely, delivering everything his lover could need to complete their plan. He waited for their moment, and the birthday letter was a signal that the time had come. Jiyong had chosen the path they were going to follow. The implacable Royal Guard was ready.

He was never going to let down either his spouse or his unborn child.