Chapter 9

The Dragon in the Palace

The Consort Regent had been with his Royal Guard getting ready for a Council session when the letter requesting a formal meeting with the Emperor of the East Empire arrived, signed by the Imperial Consort Luhan. Jiyong understood its implications immediately. He had failed to kill the Imperial Consort and now the Emperor knew that it had been him the one behind the plot. On the other hand, the letter also meant that he did not have any solid evidence against him. If Emperor Xiumin had it, the letter would have been accompanied by an army ready to cut his head and burnt the Valley. Jiyong had too much experience to commit the silly mistake of leaving any factual proof that could link him to the attempt of murder.

“A meeting in the East Empire, Seunghyun.” Had said the Dragon, lifting his eyes to meet Seunghyun’s in the looking glass of his dresser. “You know what to do, don’t you?”

Would you protect our Kingdom and family when I leave the Valley Kingdom to never come back?

“Of course, Jiyong.” Had answered his paramour firmly, never deflecting his stare.

For a moment, the two men just stayed like that: one sat at his dressing table, the other standing right behind him. For a brief moment, the Royal Guard’s fingers delicately cared the side of the ruler’s neck until his hand rested on his shoulder, and a graceful hand secured it there. For a blink of an eye, they stared into each other eyes through the looking glass in secret communication while Jiyong’s fingers clenched Seunghyun’s, before kissing his knuckles lovingly. 

Then, the Dragon of the Valley drew back his hand, tilting his head with a sorrowful smile. 

“Reliable as always, Captain Choi.”

 

 

 

 

The Dragon of the Valley moved fast to carry out his plans. He prepared everything to ensure Minho’s coronation once he left the Kingdom. His son had tried to persuade him to wait but had accepted at the end. Jiyong did not want to overshadow Minho’s coronation with resentments and speculations. His children knew that their parent did not have the Valley Kingdom’s sympathies. The Consort Regent would rather step aside silently. In compensation, the tree siblings flooded their dear carrier with love and reassurances of keeping in touch.

In the middle of that frenzy of activity, Jiyong proposed to Seunghyun with a blush on his face and unsure voice. Seunghyun’s chuckle and lifted brown was answer enough for the carrier. He kissed his paramour with a thrilled smile, melting into his embrace. Jiyong used his network to get the seals and record their marriage using unconnected sources. No one would be able to notice the clandestine marriage if they did not know what to look for.

They spend the day their marriage was registered alone in Jiyong’s bedchambers. The couple was on opposite sides of the low sofa, facing each other. Seunghyun’s arm was casually leaning against the armrest, while Jiyong was using his own like a pillow. Jiyong’s leg was lazily resting over the other man’s lap, with his lover’s free hand caressing it absently under the silk of his simple robe, each movement dropping the fabric away from the carrier’s skin a little bit further.

“I never thought we would ever marry, less under these circumstances.” Admitted Jiyong nonchalantly, staring at the ceiling to not show his heavy heart.

“Do you regret it? Any of this?”  

“Of course not. It is just me been silly.”

“Tell me my Sun.” The soft patting on the carrier’s thigh was a wordless invitation to come closer.

The marriage certificate fell from Jiyong’s hands when the Consort crawled towards Seunghyun to lay his forehand on his paramour’s shoulder. Jiyong stayed silent for a moment enjoying the tender caressing of his now legal spouse. With Seunghyun, he was a man instead of a Dragon.

“My first marriage was a public and ostentatious affair deprived of any love. Marring the love of my life should not be handled as a shameful secret. This is not what I envisioned when I was a young man, chasing your figure with yearning eyes and dreaming impossible dreams.”

“What did you dream about?” Questioned the older man, cradling the powerful Consort Regent in his arms to accommodate Jiyong against his broad chest.

“Mostly about our wedding night I must confess.” Smirked Jiyong, a mischievous glow brightening his pretty eyes to improve the mood. “Did you dream about me too, my Moon?”

“Every single night of every single day.” Confessed the Royal Guard fondly, tightening his embrace and burying his face on his spouse’s soft and loose hair.

Jiyong’s stare met the other man’s dark eyes earnestly. “Today, Kwon Jiyong and Choi Seunghyun are newlyweds and are celebrating their new life together, just like they dreamt.”

There were profound sadness and joy in Jiyong’s words, so many convoluted emotions and love, that Seunghyun could only kiss his lover deeply to give him strength. His own heart fell heavy too and his eyes were cloudy, but he did not try to suppress his emotions behind impenetrable walls. Not with Jiyong. Never when he was with his precious Jiyong.  

“Then let us enjoy our wedding night.”

Neither of them had the naivety of youth, but they shared an intense embrace and giggled clumsily like s on their first intimate night. This was their long-wished dream, and they had one week to live it before parting ways and never seen each other again.

“Was this part of your dreams?” Murmured Captain Choi against his newlywed’s parted lips, after taking a good taste of that tempting mouth.

“Yes.” Whispered Jiyong, closing his eyes to get lost in the exhilarating feeling of ill-fated freedom. The dread of being about to lose any control over his future made Jiyong’s soul feel lighter and heavier than ever.

Who knows if I am going to die in a month or lose my mind in solitary confinement in a year?

“What else did you dreamt?”

The Dragon of the Valley, with shiny lips, delicate fingers tangled on dark short locks of hair and a resolved look on his pretty eyes was the epitome of breathtaking beauty.    

“I dreamt that I finally became yours. Completely yours in body, as I am already in soul.” For a moment, Seunghyun held his breath, and his heart skipped a beat.

How could a man bear so much happiness and grief at the same time?

The treacherous couple forgot their sorrows in the midst of hot open-mouthed kisses and keen pushes to take off their clothes. Callous hands wandering over the curve of a soft back were quickly encouraged to keep going lower by pitched moans and eager lips. The always composed Royal Guard lost his voice in the middle of an aborted gasp when his slid inside the velvety warmth of his lover.

“I love you, Seunghyun, I have always loved you.” Swore the younger man, embracing his lover’s hips and waist with his legs to feel him deeper inside him.

Every and every kiss, every pant and whine, was a gift of pleasure that kept them pushing for more, biting the edge of their s on tender lips or pulsing skin.

“I love you, Jiyong, and I will always love you.” Vowed the Royal Guard, muting his lover’s ic cries with his tongue and reaching his own release with the way his spouse kept squeezing his overstimulated until they both collapsed one over the other.

They did not untangle or separate after they , with Seunghyun remaining inside Jiyong and their arms and legs keeping them together, just enjoying the company. Together like that, a timid kiss on a sharp cheek felt incredibly intimate. Jiyong repeated the action one and again until the increasingly hardening inside him made him chase his lover’s crotch, desperate for it to hit that spot that was making him moan and plead for more and harder.

The doomed couple enjoyed other occasions to make love during that week, unknowingly conceiving their firstborn.

   

 

 

 

“You are lying” Was the first thing Jongin was able to say. That was the only thing that made sense. Jiyong has to be lying.

“I assure you that am not, Your Highness.” As is not wanting to frighten Jongin, the Consort of the Valley Kingdom carefully took the younger carrier’s hand to place it on his midriff. “No one can fake the warm.”

Carriers showed that they were with child when their abdomens got gradually warmer than the rest of their bodies. A comforting warm that indicated that a spark of life was living inside of them. That warm was an unquestionable proof of pregnancy and its stage.

Jongin’s palm felt the familiar warm on the Dragon’s body through the layers of clothes. It was true. The Dragon of the Valley was with child, and the warmth indicated that he was going to give birth soon. Too soon to Jongin’s bewilderment.  

“Did you know…?” Did you know you were with child when you came here to die or be locked down forever away from home?

“I did not know, Your Highness.” Confessed the Consort Dowager, shaking his head in a mortified gesture. “This was not…” Started, only to interrupt himself by clearing his throat. Jiyong’s free hand laid softly over Jongin’s, with his sorrowful eyes looking at the other man’s perplexed ones. “We were reckless, but I can assure you that this child is not a mistake, your Highness.”

“Then why did you hide your pregnancy until now? Why did you keep it a secret?” Firmly questioned Jongin, taking Jiyong’s hand away and griping at the other’s forearm to both keep his voice steady and let the Dragon know that he was not going to hold back until he got to the bottom of the matter.

The Consort Dowager’s child was not conceived out of wedlock. Even when it involved the disliked Dragon of the Valley, there was no scandal in bearing the child of your legal spouse.

“What were your thoughts when you find out that I married Captain Choi?” Jiyong’s snickering while cleaning his tears with the back of his hand was not what Jongin was expecting to hear.

“What? What does that…?” Jongin let go of Jiyong, taken aback, frowning at him with confusion all over his face.

“Did you find it strange? Surprising that Captain Choi was my new spouse?” Insisted the Dragon. His expression was tired and apathetic, only changing to a weary sigh and even more weary red eyes when Jongin’s response was a quiet but definite ‘no’ “But you should, don’t you see? This union goes against all rules and conventions. You did not question it because it validated all those rumours about us. That we have been secret lovers for many, many years, behind everyone’s backs.”

“And you think the Valley Court will question your children’s legitimacy if they find out about this.” Concluded Jongin, appalled when realising how easily he had reached that conclusion, and how easier the resentful Valley Court could exploit it to their benefit.

“The Valley Court hates me enough to let themselves be that petty, yes.” Concluded Jiyong with a bitter frown twisting his lips. “I assure you that the Princes and Princess have King Yang’s blood, your Highness. I did not let that old, tedious man bed me whenever he wanted it to have their birthrights questioned. I will not let them use my unborn child to destabilise Minho’s reign and ruin his sibling’s future. My carelessness cannot be my children’s downfall, Your Highness. I can endure humiliation and been called despicable names, but they do not need to go through this.”

“Was any part of those rumours true though?” It was a slippery question full of brazen implications. In another situation, Jongin would have never dared to ask. Now, he did not even blush when facing the older man.

“Do you want to know if I cheated on the King?” A playful smirk was hanging from Jiyong’s lips, finding amusement in the younger carrier’s brashness. “I presume you are expecting me to deny those rumours as baseless and hideous accusations, but I already said that I wanted to come clean to you, Your Highness. This is my first token of trust. Even though it is true that we did not consummate our relationship until recently, we have been together since the old King Yang was alive. So yes, I am guilty of the felonies of infidelity and disloyalty towards the late Valley King.”

“And yet, you do not seem remorseful. For what exactly is that you are begging for forgiveness?” Pressed Jongin with increasing apprehension. If he had learnt something about Kwon Jiyong, it was that the man was shamelessly unapologetic. That was why his asking for forgiveness was so dangerous and unsettling.

For the second time, Jiyong’s eyes shined with unshed tears. The intense remorse on those pupils twisted Jongin’s insides.

“You have to understand that I love my children, that my love for them is endlessness, and that I will do anything to keep them safe, Your Highness.” The Dragon’s voice had been thin and terse, growing into a constricted whisper. There was a pause in his words, a moment of tension where the older man’s thoughts seemed to be tearing Jiyong’s body in different directions. “No sacrifice or treason will ever be big enough for them.”

The loud gasp behind Jongin’s hands and his horrified expression were the clearest signs that the Noble Consort had finally understood the real extend of the Dragon’s declaration.

“You had a plan to ensure my cooperation and help.” Jongin’s voice was high pitched, his mind and heart were yelling for this to not be what it undoubtedly was. “A plan to make me unable to deny you.”

“Yes.” Declared Jiyong, confirming Jongin’s biggest fears and yet, the Consort was not prepared to hear the older man’s next words. “A life for a life. Your spouse for my child.”

The sound of Jongin’s hand hitting the Consort Dowager’s cheek was followed by the sound of the Dragon’s body dropping to the floor.

“What did you do to Sehun?! What did you do to my spouse?!” The panic on Jongin’s scream and the way his knuckles got white when he gripped the Consort Dowager’s lapel to shake him in desperation clashed with a pliant Dragon, who did nothing to stop the manhandling.

The eyes of the Dragon did not wave when he stared at Jongin to answer.

“I poisoned him, so I could be the only one that could save him.”

 

 

 

 

Before travelling to the East Empire, the Dragon of the Valley prepared a parting gift: Vials with what he had learnt over the years from the old books on the Lake Temple’s library. He chose the ones he considered as the most useful for future endangers and entrusted them to Seunghyun.

He explained to his spouse how to use them and the code word for each of them.

“This one is a tricky one.” Had remarked the Consort Dowager, holding a vial between his fingers. “The poison adheres to your skin and reacts to its moisture. It does not have any smell or colour. The best way to use it is in small and steady doses. The target’s health will slowly deteriorate, weakening them and eventually killing them. The cause of death can be deemed to all kind of illnesses. It is way easier to make someone touch something than ingest it. The nature of the poison makes it perfect for impersonal assassination. On the other hand, if the poisoned item falls on incorrect hands, the whole propose of the scheme will go to waste or can be discovered. As I said, this one is a tricky little one, and yet I think it is one of my favourites.”

“I can see why. If you can keep the item protected until the target receives it, this kind of untraceable and clean poison can be particularly useful.”

“Something like an envelope.” Triumphantly said the Dragon in realisation, already creating the perfect plan on his mind and never raising his cold eyes from the deathly vial. “Who will suspect that the real danger of a letter will reside on its paper rather than on the words written on it?”

 

 

 

 

The intense cold that invaded his veins and froze Jongin’s blood swiftly transformed into a wildfire that burned him to the marrow of his bones. An excruciating wave of rage and sorrow like the one that seethed his entire being the day he saw his new face on the reflection of the looking glass for the first time.

And what made Jongin finally snap was that the common denominator of that sickening anguish was the Dragon of the Valley, firmly trapped under his fists.

“Why did you do it? Why did you hurt him?” In between his grief, Jongin’s voice was filled with so much hurt and disappointment that it was almost physically painful to bear it. “I thought… I hoped that after so much pain… so much pointless losses… but you did not learn anything at all. You are and always would be the infamous and heartless Dragon of the Valley. But we are not like you. I would have helped you. I overcame what you did to me, to us. Let us turn the page of all that hurt, and this is how you pay me back? Why!? Why!?”

“Because I was scared!” The heartbreaking cry startled Jongin, as well as the desperate look on the other’s damp eyes and the strength with which Jiyong’s shaking hands were frantically clutching his own. “Because I was so goddam terrified! Can’t you see it!? Because Prince Sehun’s confrontational visit remained me how much they all hate me and that I am completely at the East Empire’s mercy in this cage! Of how much he loathed me and wanted to punish me in the most terrible way he can imagine if he was given the slightest chance. Tell me, would you willing to go against your family’s demands for my sake!? What would you do to keep your family safe!? Your twins… or your daughter. I was afraid… I was so afraid that I became the Dragon of the Valley one more time out of fear and desperation and betrayed you.”

Jongin stared at the older man speechless. He felt disgusted by Jiyong’s actions but what horrified him the most was that he could understand from where the other carrier’s despicable actions came. Despair and solitude could erode even the strongest spirit and during the past days, the Dragon of the Valley had become bit by bit more a human being than an untouchable legend. The Dragon of the Valley was simply a man, but beyond that, he was a cornered parent fighting to protect his defenceless child.

He resented the man as much as he felt compassion for him, and Jongin saw on Jiyong’s outburst the same struggled in the shape of protective fervour and deep remorse.

What do you do when whatever you chose would be the wrong answer and you do not have the luxury to fail?

“I am aware this sounds like a pathetic excuse to you, and I do not blame you, Your Highness.” Continued Jiyong recovering his composure, raising his face again and respectfully resting his hands on his lap to straighten his back as if suddenly remembering his manners. The vacant expression on his eyes was of a defeated man resigned to his faith. “I was planning to wait until you did not have any other choice than help me or lose your spouse, but I cannot do this to you. I cannot make you go through that suffering and betray your selfless, trusting, and good heart. I cannot taint my child’s soul with this sin.”

“And I will not let you destroy that baby’s or any other innocent lives.” Firmly reassured him Jongin. “How did you do it? How did you poison Sehun?”

That was a loaded question. A question that will give Jongin the thing that no one has ever had against the infamous Dragon of the Valley. Solid evidence of his crimes. Jongin was asking for something tangible to get the upper hand. True redemption. The Dragon of the Valley hid a pleased smile.

Jongin’s request was not idle. He was testing Jiyong’s commitment and how far the Dragon was willing to go to save his unborn child. Jiyong had been right in his assessment. Jongin was a righteous man committed to do the right thing. Luckily for Jongin, Jiyong had already laid out a plan to make the best out of their ty situation for everyone.

A plan that contemplated sharing some gruesome truths. At least the ones Jongin needed to hear to gain his complicity to the Dragon’s machinations.

“This is my second token of trust to you, Your Highness. It was in the letters. After the Prince’s first visit, it was obvious that he was going to tighten up his vigilance over my activities. If you analyse the paper, you may still find some traces of the poison. It attaches to the dermis of the first person that comes in contact with it, and the remaining residue is so scarce that the letters become harmless. If you analyse the Prince’s blood you would confirm the presence of some kind of harming substance, but you will not be able to identify it.” Declared Jiyong, taking a vial from his robes and putting it in the palm of a surprised Jongin, who froze on his place when the Dragon cradled his hand. “That is why, Noble Consort Lee Jongin, this is my third and last token of trust to you and only you. This is the antidote that will save your spouse, one pill per day. Do not waste any time trying to find a cure that the Imperial Physician will not be able to produce. I assure you that reading the Sky is not the only talent I diligently cultivated all these years.”

The Dragon’s declaration did not surprise Jongin or made him doubt the fatality of his assessment. It seemed that nothing about Jiyong and his seemingly endless resourcefulness could surprise him anymore.

“Minseok gave you a chance and you disregarded his goodwill becoming a threat he can no longer allow to keep alive, even in a guarded cage. Our mercy will not reach you this time. You brought this horrible mess to yourself and us, again, and I am so sure that you will do it over and over again if we let you that I will feel relieved when you are finally gone for good.” Confessed Jongin coldly, glaring at the hunched figure of the powerful Dragon of the Valley.

Retaliation had an addictive taste when the heart was bleeding.  

“I was not expecting to get out alive from this, Your Highness.” Stated calmly Jiyong, as if he was not talking about his imminent death and prostrating in front of Jongin, with his forehead and hands humbly touching the wooden floor. “But if you let me, I want to indemnify the damage I have done before that happens. No one has to suffer the repercussions of my misjudgement. Neither our families nor our home countries.”

That got Jongin’s attention immediately. He hated to admit it, but the Dragon was absolutely right on his sensible observation. This was not simply a private dispute. They were all part of the Ruling Houses of their respective countries and the consequences of this disaster would involve severe political repercussions. The execution of the Consort Dowager of the Valley Kingdom will create a dangerous rift between the two nations. Moreover, the justified sentence will create an even worse political destabilisation. This was no longer about him and his hurt feelings.

“If you give me the chance, Your Highness, let me try to redeem myself by mending this situation as my way to reciprocate the goodwill you always showed me.” Reiterated Jiyong with a tearful and mellow voice, his focused expression and cold eyes covered by his long hair.

Although Jongin was clever, he lacked the malice to truly take advantage of his recently gained power over Jiyong. The younger carrier, well-intended and pure, just needed a little push in the right direction to willingly follow Jiyong’s plan. Being a manipulative was not for everybody, and Jiyong had decades of experience to sharpen his skills.

“What are you proposing exactly?” Apprehensively asked Jongin, haft hoping to hear something to safe his home country’s peaceful way of life and haft loathing the hopeful tone on his voice.  

Behind a curtain of loose hair, Jiyong’s triumphant smile stretched his lips widely.

 

 

 

 

After Jongin left the Consort Dowager’s quarters with a promise of coming back to help him with the silk work, Jiyong knew that he had him exactly where he wanted. Without knowing it, that sweet and naïve man had saved his spouse’s life and condemned Jiyong to death. Jiyong was alright with that outcome. After all, it had turned out to be for the best.

He had never hoped to exercise any major influence over the young man beyond pulling the wool over Jongin’s eyes to ensure his survivance and the secrecy of his plan. The Dragon’s original plan had been a lot more sinister, riskier, and bloodier. He had planned to murder Prince Sehun and use the chaos to give birth and smuggle the child to the Valley Kingdom.

Who would have paid any attention to him while coping with the premature and tragic loss of the beloved youngest Prince of the Kim Dynasty?

Methodically, Jiyong collected the secret plants that would have induced his labour during the days of uncertainty due to the Prince’s declining health and subsequent death. The secret combination of flowers and herbs that would have kept his baby sedated inside the secure chest during their travel. The same impenetrable chest where the silkworms were delivered.

Once the plants were placed inside the metal chest, the Dragon of the Valley buried them in the hole in the garden, blocking the small tunnel he had secretly dug. The plan had been to collapse the last layer of soil at the end of the tunnel on the other side of the wall until it was time to cross the chest, so the box and some soil and rocks were now enough to fill the space and conceal it. The narrow tunnel and medicinal plants had changed from his main plan to his backup plan.

Jiyong’s plan left no margin for errors. The time of Prince Sehun’s demise had to coincide with the last stage of Jiyong’s pregnancy. The drug dose had to last until the box containing the newborn and carried by one of Seunghyun’s most trusted soldiers reached a secure point, where his spouse would be waiting for it. Even with a loyal soldier in charge of the transportation, once closed, the perfectly cushioned and ventilated box could only be open with the unique key in his lover’s possession.

A plan as delicate as the magical bridge on the Cowherd and the Weaver Girl legend.

‘Most of the time it may be hidden or fully visible,
but when autumn comes, it gets immediately bright.
Even if covered over by faint clouds,
in the long run it can be clear through the long night.
Full of stars, it stirs by paired palace gates,
moon’s companion, it sinks by a frontier fort.
Oxherd and Weaver cross it every year,
and when have storms ever arisen thereon?’

It had been a precarious plan rustled up with limited resources and time.

The unexpected developments during his meetings with the Noble Consort Lee Jongin had changed everything.

Manipulating and using the sympathetic heart of the Prince of the Southern Mountains was a better and safer way to reach his goals. Even if it required for him to die and never see his family again and his youngest child grows up. Even if he had to let the people that hated him the most choose the way he was going to die. None of that mattered. The only thing that mattered was that the Dragon of the Valley had found a safer way to guarantee the wellbeing of his and Seunghyun’s firstborn.

The kind soul of the Noble Consort Jongin had been, unknowingly, the key element deciding the conclusion of Jiyong’s deceiving game.

Prince Sehun was a lucky man. Prince Sehun will live to keep loving Consort Jongin and see his children grow up.

“Never forget that I love you.” Tenderly murmured Jiyong, pausing his work on the garden for a moment to feel the warm sparkle of life on his midriff. “I was honoured for the chance to nurtured you until now, but I am afraid I will not be able to continue with my duty as your carrier parent. I will soon become a star. If you ever become curious, ask Seunghyun which one is me.” 

“It’s almost nightfall.” Jiyong’s sobs sounded hushed when he continued with his work, sprinkling the soft dirt under his hands with heartfelt tears.  

He stayed awake that night in the garden looking at the clear night sky and the full moon.

 

 

 

 

“I will take my own life and make it seems like it was due to a sudden illness to spare the East Empire any responsibility. Write to Minho telling him that I am sick. If it comes from Emperor Xiumin, he will get unnecessarily alarmed. Tell him that it does not seem too serious, but that you felt the responsibility to let him know. Ask him to send someone to be informed of the diagnosis and treatment but downplay the illness’ severity. He will surely send Captain Choi to…”

“No. He cannot come.” Harshly interrupted Jongin, his suspicions arising again when he heard the name of the Dragon’s long-time lover and right hand.   

“Are you worried that he would take retaliation for my death, even if it is a suicide?” It was a rhetorical question, so the Dragon did not wait for an answer. “Even if I wrote him explaining everything, he will doubt if I was not coerced to do it. He needs to be here if we want to avoid a pointless bloodbath. He is an incredibly determined man when he puts his mind to something. It is one of the many reasons why I love him.” Chuckled Jiyong fondly, giving Jongin the chills. “He will understand that my death is something necessary and even advantageous. A hectic vigil is the perfect opportunity to smuggle a newborn. On the other hand, he will be the external witness supporting our alibi, clearing all suspicious around my demise.”

“How are you planning to… do it?” Although Jongin was aware of the Consort Dowager’s destiny and agreed with the idea, he found it difficult to talk about it as casually as the older carrier. The Dragon of the Valley’s cold detachment was profoundly unnerving and, unpredictably, saddened him deeply.

“It will be better if you choose the medium you consider the best, so there will be no doubt about the result. I do not need to be consulted about your decision. However, I will recommend some kind of drug that interferes with my heart or my lungs’ functions and do not produce any obvious lesions. A bad flu case can easily be transformed into a bad case of pneumonia. A fast illness that ended in sudden death. They will not question the veracity of the East Empire’s report. After all, it will not be the first time they lost a parent so suddenly.”

An outrageous and ghastly idea made Jongin steel himself and frown deeply.

“Did you…?” Before the younger carrier could finish, he was abruptly interrupted.

“I did not make the old King fall ill. I swear to you that I had nothing to do with that.”

“And with his death?” Swiftly retorted Jongin, eying the other man with aplomb, undeterred by Jiyong’s apparently absolving reply. 

Astute. Very, very astute, noted Jiyong, barely concealing an amused grin.

“His death was unavoidable no matter what anyone did. Although I did not love him, his subjects and I at least could find solace knowing that his last moments were serene and painless.”

Jongin’s lifted brow clearly showed how unimpressed he was by Jiyong’s convenient attempt to smooth the fact he had actually murdered his spouse.

“Is that so?”

“Yes, Your Highness. Naturally, I was by his side when he finally passed away, so I am sure of that. Death is a tragic affair when one has to die alone.”

The way the former ruler of the Valley Kingdom looked at Jongin made him remember the day the silkworms arrived. The same almond eyes imploring for something they knew they had no right to ask for. The same hopeful yet accepting expression on that serene face. A silent appeal to be given a small gesture to keep a brave face until the end. Make me suffer, make me die in agony, but please, do not make me die alone.

Jongin anxiously bit his lips, unintentionally revealing how effectively the Dragon’s emotional display and implied request had affected him.

Jiyong’s strongest quality was his adaptability. He had already proved that he was not that stubborn or prideful to refuse to beg and plead when the reward was worthy. Who could be appointed with such gruesome and distasteful task if they agreed? Not one of them, naturally. The sensible suggestion of having Captain Choi in the East Empire as their witness had not been purely altruistic or practical. Kwon Jiyong’s schemes were always fabricated to ensure that he will get the most out of them, even when losing.

And truly, he did not want to die alone in a foreign land due to an unknown poison.

“People that live peaceful lives tend to find peaceful deaths.” Simply stated Jongin with a sharp tone. An uncompromising incentive without any kind of guarantee.

“That is a wise observation that I will certainly keep in mind, your Highness.” With a respectful bow, the infamous Consort of the Valley Kingdom accepted Jongin’s vague conditions unflinchingly. “My only wish is for our descendants to always live peaceful lives.”

“They will, Consort Dowager.” Solemnly promised the Prince of the Southern Mountains. He was going to ensure that the next generation will not inherit their bloodied grudges. They did not deserve to have their lives ruined by selfish mistakes.

He was going to show that cunning bastard that he was not going to turn out bitter and jaded like him. However, that did not mean that he was absolving the deceiving that have attempted to ruin his life twice. His nobility did not equate to stupidity. Without acknowledging his actions, his fingers caressed the smooth metallic surface of his mask while reciting the Dragon of the Valley his sentence.  

“Your letter exchanges will cease. The number of guards outside your chambers will increase. This is our goodbye, Consort Dowager. The next time we meet will be when you give birth, and I will only come to take the newborn with me. The child will remain under my sole custody. Emperor Xiumin will arrange the delivery of the baby to Captain Choi as he pleases. I will leave now to see my spouse and set up a meeting with my brothers-in-law. If you lied to me and this medicine does not cure my spouse, the next time we meet I will be carrying Sehun’s sword to cut your sly head. Farewell, Consort Dowager Kwon Jiyong.”

“Farewell, Noble Consort Lee Jongin.” Deeply bowed the carrier, keeping his head down. “Will you believe me if I confess that I will miss you?”

“Yes, and that is what hurts the most.” Replied Jongin, chillingly and unwavering.

A few steps were all it took for Jongin to leave the room. He did not glare at the older carrier when he closed the door. He did not stop the tears that started to slide over his flustered cheeks. He did not slow his pace towards his bedchambers, impatient to see his lover as soon as possible.

What he did was to frantically hold the small vial in his hands to pray for a kinder world and mourn what they would never get back.  

 

 

 

 

The silk thread passed through Jiyong’s damaged and clumsy fingers relentlessly. Without Jongin’s spontaneous visits, the Dragon’s days were long, uneventful, and dull. He used that time to work on the silk. Under his meticulous gaze, the crude silk transformed into bright thread. A single harvest season did not produce a lot of silk, but Jiyong was determined to produce something useful and pretty with that limited amount of silk.

In between those days, Prince Kim Sehun took his first intake of air without feeling it draining his strength.

When he finished weaving, he used his paints and brushes to colourise the cloth. He painted little silk moths and mulberry leaves carefully and slowly, leaving the rest of the fabric in its natural dazzling white. With precision, he worked on the delicate item until it was perfect.  

At his lover’s side, Prince Lee Jongin released the shaking breath he had been holding since that dreadful day.

Jiyong carefully wrapped his artistic work and sprinkled dried petals inside. The package looked lovely.   

A letter written by the Noble Consort Lee Jongin and addressed to King Yang Minho was immediately send to the Valley Kingdom.

Not much later, the Dragon felt the warmth on his belly became intensively hot, signalling that he was going to give birth very soon. His voice did not falter when he requested to send a note to Jongin informing him that he regretfully had to cancel their scheduled meeting since he was feeling a little unwell.   

Three young siblings read the letter with worried expressions, but their Royal Guard quickly reassured them and promised to go immediately to the East Empire to make sure that their beloved carrier was alright.

The East Empire household got ready to host the last performance of the legendary Dragon of the Valley.

When the Valley Kingdom’s Royal Guard Captain Choi Seunghyun left the Valley, he had a letter authorising his visit to the East Empire on his travelling bag and pieces of his shattered heart piercing his hollowed chest.