II

Addled

 

 

 

“Good morning Hyung!” I greet Jeong Hyung as I came to the office.

“Good morning Chaeng!”

What I didn’t know is that she follow me to my working station. So I was a bit surprised when I saw her sitting at my side as I settle my things down.

“Aren’t you being early this past few days?” she asked.

“Am I? Hmm~~” I mindlessly replied. My eyes are already searching for something (or someone Chaeng?)

“I just don’t want to be late Hyung” I added now facing her. I didn’t see what I am looking for.

“Really? Or there’s someone you want to have some coffee with?” she said wiggling her brows. I know what she’s implying.

”Of course not! Mina unnie takes her coffee at 10 am break you know”

“I didn’t even say it was Mina. I was hoping, you wanna take some coffee with me”

 

‘Ops! Busted!’ To be honest, waking up early is a challenge for me. But I have to! Because I have a mission every day. And that is to spend every morning with Mina unnie before working hours start. I was about to reply and retaliate when she greets someone behind me that freezes me for a second.

 

“Hey! Hi Mina!” Jeong Hyung greets her with enthusiasm.

“Hi Jeong! Hi Chaeng! You’re early!” she said before giving her signature gummy smile. God! My heart doesn’t even know what to do, to beat fast or just stop beating.

“I just don’t want to be late Unnie” I replied as I put a hand in the back of my hand feeling bashful all of a sudden.

“That’s what she said” Jeong Hyung whispers but enough for me to hear. So I elbowed her to the side a little bit hard which made her cough a little.

“Are you okay Hyung?” I ask her as if I'm not the one who did that.

“Yeah, I’m fine” she said but has the 'What the heck Chaeng?' face

“So unnie, breakfast?” I asked  not minding the look Jeong Hyung has given me.

“Sure! Let me just put my things down” Mina Unnie replied.

 

~~~~~~

“So, breakfast? Haha! Nice Chaeng!” Jeong Hyung teased.

“Shut it Hyung. And please don’t tell this to Dahyun Hyung. I can’t take her teasing” I silently plead. I think that’s a big mistake; saying that.

“Ohhh! I definitely need to tell her then” she snickers

‘Ugh! It’s just only morning but my head is aching already.’ I was busy begging Jeong Hyung when Mina unnie talks.

“Let’s go! How about you Jeong? Wanna have breakfast with us?” she invited Jeong Hyung.

“Already had breakfast at home, but sure. I need my morning coffee” Jeong Hyung said before she went to the pantry leaving me and Mina unnie tailing her.

“No coffee?” Jeong Hyung asked Mina unnie. I’m at Mina Unnie’s side. Silently sipping my coffee.

“No, I usually take my coffee at morning breaks” Mina unnie replied”

“So I’ve been told” Hyung murmurs but I heard her loud and clear.

“What? You were saying something?” Mina unnie asked.

“Nothing! Anyways, I’m going. Dahyun might be there already.” (I know what you're doing Hyung.)

“I’m coming with you Hyung,” I said as I stand. What? I have to be discrete about my feelings. I know Hyung would be facepalming inside her head as I said those words but I don’t want to feed myself with false hope. I don’t even know if Mina unnie swings that way.

“Bye Unnie”

“Bye Mina”

“Oh okay. See you later.” Mina unnie replied before we take our leave.

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“It’s your chance to spend time with her. Why would you do that?” Jeong Hyung scolded me a little.

“What? I told you, this feeling that I have, I don’t want her to know about this. I won’t tell her. I’m happy just seeing her there; smiling; existing. I’m happy with just that.”I explain.

“Aishhh!! you~~” I know she’s getting frustrated because of what I’ve done.

“Also, I want to see Dahyun Hyung you know,” I said changing the topic.

“We both know Dahyun will and always will be late” Jeong Hyung said matter-of-factly.

“But maybe not today. Let’s go. I’ll stay at your station.”

“Aishhh, this kid. If you say so”

“Yeah, yeah, C’mon!” I said as I dragged her away.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I don’t remember when all of it started. I just realized one day that I changed the route I’m taking hoping that I might bump into her going to the office, looking for her before our shift ends and wait just so that we could go home together, accompany her to the bus station until her bus comes even I live at the opposite direction, and I don’t like it when Dahyun Hyung is teasing her with Jeong Hyung even though I knew that Jeong Hyung has only eyes for Nayeon Unnie. So I told them. I think that’s the time when I admit to myself that I like her.

Since then, I started to take an interest in her. I don’t know how but sometimes my eyes are already searching for her without me even knowing. Okay, maybe most of the time. But that’s not the point. The point is, I don’t want to have this feeling. I don’t want to feel this helplessness; this uncertainty.

I need to stop this before it becomes more serious.

“What should I do Tzu? I want to forget her and move on but I can’t. She’s always on my mind. It’s so frustrating that I spend time with her but I can’t even say what I am feeling about her.”

 

“First of all Kid, there’s nothing to move on cause you’re not even together,” she said. ( Hey, that’s harsh)

 

“Hey! I’m older than you! And I already know that stupid! You don’t have to slap it to my face” Now I'm sulking.

 

“Whatever Chaeng. Also, If, and only if you would confess, are you ready for whatever her answer is? Yes, it might be mutual but it may be not. Are you ready with the possible consequences?” Tzuyu asked.

 

“No” I whisper.

 

“That is also the reason why I’m not confessing. Because of the possibility of getting hurt. But I’m more afraid of being ignored by her. That’s more what I’m afraid of.” I continued softly being truly honest with how I feel. Isn’t it normal to be afraid of getting hurt? I don’t think anyone in their right state of mind if they want to be hurt. If you know that it will hurt you, isn’t it normal to just step back and not do anything?

“So I stay being a friend. That’s my decision. It also hurts but I could manage. It’s better than being nothing to her.”

 

“ Then don’t complain that you’re hurting. Don’t come to me wailing with how frustrated you are cause it starts to irritate me. “

“Hey! I’m your friend. You have to listen to my rants”

“As what you have said. You’ve decided so why complicate things.” she said which renders me speechless.

 

“You know Chaeng, I’ve known you for so long and I know, that when you don’t like something, no one could ever beg you to do it.”

 

“I don’t know, maybe if I keep telling myself that I don’t love her, or maybe I’d forget these feelings that I have for her. Or maybe that’s what I’ve been wishing for” I said dejectedly.

 

“Yeah, like telling yourself that you’re still growing.” Now I know Tzuyu is mocking me.

 

“Look Chaeng. I don’t even care if what you feel for her is love or whatsoever. But what I’m trying to say is. Don’t lie to yourself to the point wherein you don’t even know what the truth is.” she continues that made me thinking.

“ But maybe you could give some hints you know, that you’re straight as a circle” she added.

“ Thanks, Tzu,” I really appreciate having Tzuyu as my best friend.

“I didn’t do anything, I just listened” she said nonchalantly.

“That’s more than enough” I said and hug her just to annoy her.

 

 

 

[ A/N: Kinda short,  right?] 

Hope you're doing well. 

Keep safe everyone.