I

Addled

Chaeyoung's POV

 

 

Have you ever feel connected with someone you just met? Or have you ever feel something, meeting someone for the first time? Because I do.

I don’t want to call it love at first sight because it definitely is not, or that’s just what I wanted to tell myself. I don’t love her. That can’t be. Apparently, we know nothing of each other .I don’t even have any clue if she swings that way.


In our family, we have this annual gathering wherein we  meet our relatives  even those we don’t even know exists. It’s like my grand father keep tracking how big his family became.

Every year, one family will be hosting the whole clan. This year, It’s Auntie Jessica and even if I don’t like crowds, I look forward to it because Auntie Jessica is cool and I love her. But I am surprised seeing you there. Talking with one of my cousins.


But before I could come closer to you, Auntie asked Somi and I to pick some coffee beans at the farm. I invited you to join us not because I want to spend more time with you. No~ definitely not.

I was just thinking that maybe you’re bored or something. In the end, Somi has something to do so we went together with my cousin Jackson and his friend. They’re kind of annoying honestly, leaving us two behind even though they knew that we don’t know the way to the farm.

I know they’re doing it on purpose to make fun of us, especially that boy Bambam. He kept on dragging my cousin Jackson with his shenanigans while my cousin just gets along with it. So I decided to make a plan.


“Hey, Let’s keep hidden and see where they were heading. We could still see and follow them at this distance.” I told you. I just thought that maybe they would stop and properly lead us to the farm. So we wait, until they jump over that fence. When we got near to the fence, I noticed that there’s another way going to the other side without climbing into it but before I could tell you that, you’re already on your way up the fence. As you got to the top,


“Chaeng, I don’t know how to get down to the other side. There’s no ladder. What do I do?” You said as you look at me with those pleading eyes. Tears are threatening to fall. I was about to tell you to get down so we could use the other route but Jackson and Bambam came back and taunt you.


“Scared of jumping?” said Bambam.


“HAHA. Girls~~” he added. Jackson is just there watching and snickering.


I know you’re scared. There are tall grasses at the other side and we never knew if there’s snakes in there, or bugs, or insects that might bite you and you might get hurt if you jump.

But before they could say anything more to you, I snapped.
I said harsh words, bad things, and almost swear at them. Saying they’re dumb and awful even if Jackson is my cousin. Jackson keep his self mum and I knew that he’s sorry for what he have done. We were super close and he knew that I’m really upset.

Bambam and I kept on arguing but I don’t really remember anything he said. He asked you to come with them because we still have task to do. Then I left. I leave you there without turning back.

I leave because I ing hate myself losing control in front of you, saying those horrible things in front of you, I hate myself for snapping.


“I just wanted to enjoy this day with her but I messed it up! Grr!” I groaned. Clenching my fists due to my frustrations.

 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 


It’s getting late, and soon the sun will set down. Still, I don’t know where you are. I can’t call you because I have your phone and left mine knowing that I will always be by your side. I’m so stupid. I know.

Then a running Wonwoo came with your sweater and my jacket. He’s a little kid known by our family.
“Your Auntie is already looking for you. Where are the others?” Wonwoo said as he catch up with his breaths.


‘Stupid Chaeyoung!” I internally scold myself. Now I don’t know how are you doing. Are you fine? I don’t care about Jackson and Bambam, they know the area.


“I think they are at the farm already. You know the way right? I’ll follow you” I asked Wonwoo and he understand immediately. He knew how weak you are with cold. Now I am in panic. I can never forgive myself if something ever happens to you. I follow him as he run towards the farm.

There are scenarios in my head that kept my feet running. I don’t know how did I do that, running that far without a rest. Maybe it’s the adrenaline, maybe it’s fear, or maybe it’s because I want to see you as soon as possible.
“Where are you now?”
“Please be safe, Please be safe” I whisper repeatedly. 
Then I saw you~~ 

there, standing alone, trying to keep yourself warm with that thin jacket that I know isn’t yours. My heart beats fast. It feels like my world stops. There you are, obviously trembling everytime a cold wind blows.

I ran towards you, and immediately turn you around to face me. Now I am definitely sure you’re shivering. I shoved you the sweater and jacket I am holding and try to take off the thin jacket you’re wearing.


“I was a bit cold, that is why he lend me his jacket” you explained searching for my eyes.
But I can’t look at your eyes right now. Not with this overflowing emotions I am feeling right now.


“I know, I know, God! Damn it! Just take this jacket off please. I don’t want his smell on you. Please” I am pleading in my mind but I didn’t say anything other than sorry. 


“Sorry, I’m sorry” I whisper repeatedly. Tears are falling through my eyes. God! I badly want to imprison you with my embrace but I know I can’t.
“I guess, I really am weak for colds eh?! Where did you get this?” you smile trying to lighten the mood.
“JUST TAKE IT OFF AND WEAR THE GODDAMN SWEATER!” I yelled. I knew you were surprised. I was too.
“Please, just wear your sweater. And this jacket too” I said in a calm voice. You nod and follow.
You return Bambam’s jacket and thanked him. I on the other hand just stay there without giving him a glance. 
“Wonwoo” I said to have your attention. We were all going back to Auntie’s house.
“He brought the sweater” I continue.
“And the jacket” you said with smile on you lips.
“Yes, and the jacket too” you only nod and lean to me as we go back.

As we enter the house, Auntie immediately scold us and told us to have dinner. After dinner wherein I decided to keep mum, I immediately come to my room without giving you a glance. How can I? After that incident, how can I look at you in the eyes? I am so ashame of myself. I am silently nagging at myself when I hear knocking on the door.

*knock* *knock*
“I’m not in the mood!”
*knock* *knock*
“Leave me alone please!”
*knock* *knock*
“I told you! Just lea~~”

 

 

 

 


*thud!!*

 

 

 

“What are you saying? Mom asked me to wake you up. Now get up!” Somi said.


As I open my eyes, i saw the familiar ceiling of my room, the familiar table full of my things~ collections, papers, everything; my bed. Then realization hits me, 

 


“A dream. ! It’s just a dream but I am still ing whipped.”

 

 
“Mooom~~ Chaeng’s not getting up!!” Somi shouts before running away.


“I’m awake Moooomm!!!” I shout and save myself from my mom’s wrath.

 

 


~~~~~

 


“So Chaeng unnie, who’s Mina?” Somi asked with her mischievous smile as we ate breakfast. I almost barf.


“Huh? Who?” I asked*

cough* *cough*


“Anyway I gotta go now. Bye Mom” I immediately got up and went on my way to office.


“I better see her in person before I confused reality and dream.”