Flowers For You

Bite Size (one-shot collection)

Originally posted: November 8, 2019

 

 

SinB slumped against the van, hands in her coat pockets, as she watched Eunha and Yerin finally walk out of their apartment building. 

 

“About time you two showed up,” she said. 

 

“Well, excuse me for wanting to look presentable at my sister’s wedding,” Eunha chided. 

 

Yerin stood next to SinB. 

 

“How many outfit changes did she go through?” SinB asked Yerin who slung an arm around her shoulders.

 

“Twelve,” Yerin whispered with an exaggerated pout.

 

“What’s with the long face, Yerin-ah?” Eunha retorted. “You didn’t seem to mind the number of outfits as long as you could watch me undress.”

 

Eyes widened, Yerin quickly ushered the much-too-candid rabbit into the car. “Hahaha. You are hilarious, Eunha-ya. Now, get inside. We got traffic to beat and a front row seat to the wedding of the year.”

 

Giggling, Eunha went to the middle row and sat next to Sowon. Meanwhile, Yerin sheepishly glanced at a scowling SinB. But it wasn’t long before the younger girl’s expression softened, lips blooming into a grin as she shook her head. 

 

“On any other day, I would punish you for your naughty behavior,” SinB said. “Lucky for you, I’m not in the greatest of moods.”

 

Yerin’s eyebrows knitted. “What’s wrong, SinB-ah?” she asked, placing a nurturing hand on the younger girl’s forehead.  

 

“I’m just not feeling my best today.”

 

Yerin frowned at SinB’s dampened expression. “Are you sure you’re able to attend the wedding? I’m sure Eunha and her sister will understand.”

 

“And miss out on watching the two of you cry buckets of tears when the bride and groom say their I do’s?” SinB teased, elbowing Yerin’s arm. “Don’t worry, Yerin-ah. I’ll be fine. Come on, let’s sit together at the back.”

 

***

 

During the drive, the six young women did what they usually do on long trips: listen to music, catch up on their TV dramas, converse with each other about their personal lives, or just sleep. 

 

Currently, SinB was huddled in the corner, airpods in and eyes closed. She kept moving, though, shifting her body to find a comfortable position. But trying to sleep upright had its limits, usually resulting in neck or backaches. Unable to rest, SinB pulled out an airpod out of frustration. She side-eyed Yerin who was on her phone, happily reading and scrolling. 

 

“Whatcha doing?” SinB asked, voice slightly scratchy.

 

Instinctively, Yerin held her phone closer to her chest. “Oh, nothing really exciting. Just perusing the Internet. Checking out a new webtoon. You probably wouldn’t be interested in the plot.”

 

SinB’s brow furrowed over how suspicious Yerin sounded. It was strange. But then again, when was Yerin not strange?

 

“O-kay,” SinB said, letting Yerin’s odd response slide. “Do you mind if I lay my head on your lap? I’m getting this headache, and I’m hoping it’ll go away with some rest before we get to the hotel.”

 

Yerin eagerly nodded, prepping her lap by placing a blanket over it. “Of course, SinB-ah. Whatever will help you feel better.”

 

SinB proceeded to lay down, plopping her head on Yerin’s firm yet pillowy soft thighs. It didn’t take long for SinB to feel completely at ease. Through half-lidded eyes, she stared up at Yerin, still cheerfully preoccupied with her phone. She noticed that each time the older girl scrolled, the light emitting from the screen would change color which projected onto Yerin’s face. Yellow. Pink. Purple. Orange. It was a beautiful sight. 

 

Yerin was always a beautiful sight. 

 

***

 

As expected, Yerin and Eunha cried up a storm during the wedding ceremony. Their tears were enough to finish half a box of tissues. 

 

Now, it was time for the reception. While the emotional duo and Sowon went to chit chat with the bride, SinB, Yuju, and Umji relaxed at their table, snacking on h'orderves. Not having much of an appetite, SinB abandoned her cheese and crackers and took the opportunity to steal some alone time with Yerin’s phone. 

 

The brief nap worked wonders. By the time they arrived at the hotel, her headache was practically non-existent. Unfortunately, other factors of her health were a bit more persistent. But she wasn’t going to let that get in the way of celebrating this wonderful evening of matrimony. And she certainly wasn’t going to let Yerin get away with her questionable excuse from earlier. 

 

SinB swiftly typed in Yerin’s passcode, grateful that they had built enough trust in their relationship to “willingly” tell each other their phone passcodes. Tapping on the internet browser, SinB’s eyes grew wide before settling into a state of confusion. Her thumb scrolled curiously through the website. 

 

Yellow. Pink. Purple. Orange. Those were the colors that belonged to the various types of flowers featured on the webpage. 

 

As her hearing picked up on the trio’s voices nearing the table, SinB quickly placed Yerin’s phone back into her purse. She caught sight of the decadent floral centerpiece on the table; her mind filled with more questions than answers. 

 

***

 

Like any good wedding, fun and festivities proceeded after dining. Of course, GFriend had to take the stage with a lighthearted performance of “Me Gustas Tu.” The DJ then began to play his rotation of well-known party hits that had everyone on the dancefloor. SinB stuck around for two more songs before returning to her table. After taking a gulp of water, her eyes searched for Yerin who had excused herself from the party scene earlier than SinB to go to the restroom. SinB looked at the seat next to her and realized that Yerin’s purse was missing. 

 

Hastily, SinB power walked out of the event hall. She first checked the restrooms only to be bombarded with people asking for a picture with her. As for Yerin, she was nowhere in sight. Politely declining them the best she could, SinB jogged to an empty elevator and pressed the button for the lobby. She decided to call Yerin, tapping her foot impatiently with each unanswered ring. The call went to voicemail. SinB’s heart began to thud anxiously. 

 

The elevator doors opened. SinB hurriedly stepped out and walked to a lounging area, trying to get a hold of Yerin again. 

 

“Yah, Hwang Eunbi!”

 

SinB looked up and saw Yerin and their manager walking past the entrance into the lobby. Wanting to give time by themselves, the Manager Unnie rode the elevators back to the party alone. Yerin waved goodbye and relayed a “thank you”. That’s when SinB noticed that the older girl was hiding something behind her back. 

 

“Where did you go?” SinB said sternly. 

 

“Aww, was my precious TtinB worried about me?” Yerin cooed, tone saturated in aegyo. 

 

“No,” SinB lied. “I saw that your bag was gone and thought that someone had stolen it. But what about you? Quite the detour from the restroom, don’t you think?” She gestured to the hotel entrance. 

 

Yerin smiled as she held SinB’s hand and led her to a less crowded part of the lobby. 

 

“I left early with Manager Unnie because the flower shop down the block was going to close soon. And I didn’t tell you where I was actually going because I wanted to surprise you with these.” 

 

Yerin revealed a modest, yet lovely bouquet of flowers. SinB recognized them from the website on Yerin’s phone browser. hung slightly open in awe as she gently took the bouquet in her hands. 

 

“When you said that you weren’t feeling well,” Yerin spoke, gaze switching from SinB’s stunned expression to the marble floor, “I wanted to give you something that would hopefully cheer you up a bit. But I didn’t just want to give you any random bouquet. So, during the drive, I was researching for the right flowers that would convey the right message.”

 

Speechless, SinB listened to Yerin’s reason for each flower. 

 

“Gerbera,” Yerin pointed to the orangey, coral-colored flower, “because it means ‘mysterious’ just like your stage name. A pink rose to express not only my infinite love for you but also my deep admiration for you. A dahlia,” she lightly patted the round bulb of pastel technicolor flower petals, “to show how grateful I am that you’re a part of my life. And these tiny, purple flowers,” she waved a hand around them, “I don’t actually know what they are nor their meaning. The shop owner thought it was best to include them to balance everything out.”

 

SinB cracked an amused smile. 

 

“Do you like them?” Yerin said nervously. 

 

SinB looked into Yerin’s cute, worrisome eyes. “I love them. Thank you so much, Yerin-ah.” 

 

Pulling the older girl into a hug, SinB wished she could say more and, in particular, do more to truly articulate her feelings that were just bursting for Yerin. But for now, in the eyes of the public, a “friendly” hug would have to suffice. 

 

For the next several minutes, SinB with the help of Yerin took pictures of the flowers to commemorate a genuinely heartwarming time in her life. It was disrupted by a text from Sowon demanding where in the world the two of them had disappeared to. To avoid the leader’s wrath, Yerin quickly fetched them an unoccupied elevator. 

 

“Are you going to post the pictures for Buddies to see?” Yerin asked as they stepped inside.

 

“And make everyone jealous that they don’t have a girlfriend as sweet and thoughtful as you?” SinB replied cheekily, pushing the button of the floor where the reception was being held, “Maybe in a week. For now, this special moment is only for the two of us to cherish.”

 

Yerin smiled that adorable eye smile of hers which never ceased to make SinB’s heart melt. Once the doors closed, SinB leaned in and was finally able to articulate the feelings she couldn’t express before. 

 

She kissed Yerin.