Decision

Healing Touch

Dear (Y/n) (L/n),

We regret to inform you that your application into the school of medicine at our college has been rejected. All available spots have been filled. We appreciate your time and consideration. If you wish, you may apply again in the future. 

Thank you.

It took three read throughs for it to sink in. 

You… didn’t- You didn’t get in. But… how?

You met all the requirements. The grades, the community service at the hospital, the essay that you’d revised over and over again. Every box was checked. And yet… you still didn’t get in. 

All available spots have been filled.

That was unbelievable. Surely, they could have squeezed in one more student. 

You sat back with a sigh. This was… highly unexpected. And yet not. 

You looked around as you tried to sort out your feelings. Everyone else in the library was going about their day as usual, unaware of the bad news you had just received. The wolf attacks had ceased, so conversation had mostly turned to the end of the semester and big plans for the long break that was still a good two months away. You didn’t have any plans yourself. Especially not now that you didn’t have to plan to change location. 

Well, beyond spending it with Yixing. 

You smiled at that. In fact, that sounded like the best case scenario. Long, uninterrupted hours with Yixing was beginning to sound like the greatest break you’d ever had.  

And, after break was over, you didn’t have to leave for another university, wondering when you’d be able to see him again. The disappointment that you should have been feeling wasn’t as strong. Yes, it was there - rejection never felt good - but it felt more like stubbing your toe against a table leg, rather than being buried under an avalanche of rocks. 

You shut your laptop and stuffed it into your bag before heading out. To no one’s surprise, Yixing was sitting out on the front steps, his back against the large column that held up the overhang. He was flipping through a small, mass market paperback, eyes squinting under the bright sun. But as soon as the door opened and you stepped out from carpet to cement, the book was closed and he was up on his feet. The dimpled smile spread wide across his face. He took no time in slipping his fingers between yours. 

“How did it go?”

You chewed on the inside of your cheek. 

When you had gotten the notification for the email on your phone, you had let out what you thought was a squeak of nerves and excitement. You and Yixing were supposed to go get a late lunch, but he agreed to wait for you while you ran to the library and checked the email on your computer. It was no surprise at all that he was more than willing to wait for you, giving you space during the ordeal.

“I… got rejected.” 

“What?” Yixing stopped mid step. His hand slipped from yours as he turned to face you fully. “What idiots rejected you? I’ll call them. What college was-” 

“You’re not happy?” You honestly thought he would be reacting differently. Ecstatic that you would be staying - here, with him.

“Happy? Why would I be-” He blinked, the realization sinking in. “Oh. But you’re going to apply somewhere else now, right?” 

What an angel that you didn’t deserve. He thought that you still wanted to leave. He didn’t realize that - really without you knowing yourself - your plans had been a bit derailed for a while now. “I… don’t think so. Not anymore.” You took a deep breath, thoughts finally falling into place. “I wanted to leave because this place reminded me so much of my parents, of what I missed out on growing up. I didn’t think that I had any ties here, so it wouldn’t matter. But… after reading that letter… I wasn’t as disappointed as I thought I would be. A small… part was even relieved. Relieved that I didn’t have to make a decision.”

You did want to stay. Not just because of Yixing. But because of Ji Yeon and the pack. Because you had a family here now and you wanted to see your family as often as you could. There was nothing wrong with the medical school here. It would be the same education and you would save money on the move. Only positives could be seen in the rejection. Sure, your decision had been made for you, but you weren’t too upset about it. 

He was obviously trying to hold them back, but the tears glistening in the corners of his eyes were still visible. “So… you’re going to stay?”

You nodded. 

He howled

Picking you up around your middle, he twirled you around, peppering your cheeks and neck with kisses. When he finally put you back down on your feet, he swooped in for a real kiss. 

“I guess you’re happy about that?” you asked with a giggle. 

He was practically glowing. “I’d lie, but you would see right through it.” His hair flopped lightly as he shook his head. “I never imagined that you would stay. It would hurt, but I would have endured it. For you. But yes. I’m happy.”

The pure joy from him was infectious. Now you understood why he tried so hard to make you happy. It was an elating feeling. You pulled him back down for another kiss.

**

“Okay, now, with your foot on the break, press the button on the side of the gear shift - the stick down here - and move it into drive - that’s the ‘D’.”

You nodded, taking a deep breath while doing what Yixing had instructed. 

This was a terrible idea. Granted, you were nowhere near the city, so you wouldn’t accidentally run over any innocent pedestrians. You were still in the clearing in front of the farmhouse, the engine vibrating the car all around you. Slowly, you had been getting over your fear of cars. Yixing drove you everywhere, which helped. There was constant exposure. You never thought about it with him. So, you wanted to try the next step. Your aunt had agreed to help you buy a car - if you passed your driver’s test. Naturally, you turned to the best person to teach you how to drive. 

Patient, caring, sweet Yixing. 

But now that you were behind the wheel, you were considering just being a walker for the rest of your life. 

I can’t do that if I want to come visit him whenever I want. 

You felt guilty whenever he came to pick you up, usually for the weekend. Almost an hour’s drive either way. It would be better if you could bring yourself up here. 

“Okay, good,” Yixing said encouragingly. “Now, slowly take your foot off the break and press down - just a little - on the gas to make it go forward.”

Fingers tight on the steering wheel, you did what he said again. Well, sort of. You accidentally pressed down on the gas too much and the car lurched forward. Instinct kicked and you slammed on the break. Both you and Yixing were flung forward by the momentum, saved by the seatbelts that slammed you back into the seats. 

“I’m sorry!”

He tried to quiet his laugh, but it didn’t work. However, it did make you feel a little better. “It’s okay. We’ll try again.” Something caught his eye in the rearview mirror and made him frown. “Put the car in park.”

As soon as the gear clicked into place by the “P”, Yixing hopped out of the car. You followed suit, leaning against the car door while watching Jongdae, Sehun, and Baekhyun come down the porch steps. 

“Where are you guys going?” Yixing called out to them. 

“There’s a party,” Jongdae explained with an excited expression. “Some basketball player is throwing it at their house.”

“We’d invite you, but-” Baekhyun’s eyes flickered over to you and then shrugged. 

Yixing continued to frown. “Be careful.”

Sehun rolled his eyes. “Nothing that exciting is going to happen.”

“You never know,” you teased. “You could run into a mate of your own.” Sehun raised his eyebrows in surprise. They still weren’t used to you being more open with them. Jongdae scowled at your joke. Wow, did he really need to lighten up. 

“If anything good happens, we’ll let you know.” Baekhyun sent you a wink, knowing exactly the reaction he would get out of Yixing in doing so. The low growl wasn’t extremely threatening, only a wild warning that couldn’t be helped. 

Not wasting any more time, the three wolves piled into a car and drove down the dirt road at a high speed that sent tiny pebbles flying through the air. 

Yixing sighed. “I’m sorry about that. The growl. It just came out.”

“Don’t worry about it.” You clamped down on your bottom lip. You knew why Yixing was having a hard time. This wasn’t the first time he’d growled or snapped at his brother. That mark he had told you about… you still didn’t have it. But more and more, you had been thinking about it. “Hey, Yixing?”

“Hm?”

“I was thinking… what if we moved the driving lesson until tomorrow?”

He tilted his head. “Is there something you want to do instead?”

You slinked over to his side of the car and s your arms around his waist. A wicked grin pulled up the right side of your mouth. “Ran isn’t going to be there tonight. At the apartment.”

Yixing’s eyes glowed amber but he cleared his throat. “Really? Why not?”

“She’s visiting her parents. Won’t be back until Monday.”

“That’s a long time.”

“Mhm.” 

His throat bobbed. “So, what are you wanting to do?”

“I thought… that maybe….” You frowned. This wasn’t coming out smoothly at all. “What I mean to say is… I think I’m ready.”

Yixing’s eyebrows pinched together. “You… think.. you’re ready?”

“I am,” you said firmly. “I want to.”

A pur-like growl rumbled in his chest. “Well, then. We should get going.”

You smiled as he ripped himself from your embrace and ran to the driver’s side door. You were still laughing when you got into the car and he peeled down the road at a speed that had put Sehun’s driving to shame.