“Whenever You’re Ready”

It's Always Been You

"Thank you Mr. Kim!" All the kids said.

 

Hanbin smiled widely as he watched them open up the toys. 

 

"Here" Seulgi handed him a water bottle.

 

"Thanks" 

 

Seulgi couldn't help but smile at the kids. 

 

"They look so happy." She said 

 

"I miss being that young. We didn't have to worry about anything." Hanbin took a sip of the water. 

 

"The only thing I worried about was getting cooties from boys" Seulgi joked. Making them both laugh. 

 

"Mr. Hanbin! Do you and your girlfriend want to play with us?" A little brunette asked. 

 

"I-I'm not his girl—"

 

"We would love to" Hanbin smiled. 

 

Seulgi was stunned by his quick response. She felt her cheeks burning up.

 

"Aren't you coming?" 

 

 

Seulgi swallowed thickly and nodded her head.

 

 

~~~

 

"Two bowls of ramen please" Hanbin ordered.

 

"Great minds think alike! Ramen is superior on cold days like this." Seulgi smiled. 

 

"You eat ramen everyday" Hanbin snickered 

 

"Sorry not everyone can cook like you, Hanbin" she retorted.

 

"If you'd like, I can cook some food for you?" 

 

Seulgi was taken aback by how serious he sounded. 

 

"You're gonna poison the food" 

 

"I might if you keep annoying me" Hanbin smiled innocently.

 

"Here is the ramen you ordered. Today is the anniversary of the owners so every couple gets a discount on the ramen." The waiter smiled.

 

"Oh we're not a cou—"

 

"Thank you." Seulgi smiled. 

 

"Enjoy" the waiter said and walked away.

 

"Yah! Do you know how expensive the ramen is here? Plus it's the best ramen in Seoul! We need that discount" Seulgi explained.

 

Hanbin chuckled. "Do you like me?" 

 

Seulgi began choking on her ramen. 

 

"I'd rather eat dirt" She retorted. Making Hanbin laugh. 

 

"Anyways, who's Jennie?" 

 

Hanbin stopped eating and let out a small sigh.

 

"An old friend." 

 

"Something tells me theres more than that." The brunette raised a brow

 

"Well, we kind of dated? I guess we were at the talking stage.. things didn't work out though." Hanbin said as he stared into the bowl of ramen. 

 

"Ahh.. is she the girl that was busy with school and stuff?" 

 

"Yeah." 

 

Seulgi saw that Hanbin was still affected by their relationship and it somehow made her feel a little sad. He was always so smiley and joyful. So seeing him down was very rare. Considering he'd never show when he's having a hard time. He disliked burdening others but he would always help those in need. He's just that type of person. 

 

Seulgi smiled to herself as she watched Hanbin slurp up the noodles. 

 

~~~

 

Jennie's POV

 

*buzz*

 

*buzz*

 

"Clear your schedule tomorrow. You're coming with me to the meeting" 

 

I rolled my eyes. 

 

It's never a "Hey" or a "how are you" she just gets straight to the point. 

 

"Ok" I replied.

 

"Irene will take you to get your hair done and to buy some new clothes. I want you to look extra sharp for the meeting! Everyone needs to know who the next CEO is!" 

 

CEO? God, she's been throwing that at me ever since I came out the womb. Sometimes I feel like an idol. She literally controls my life. 

 

"Ok"

 

"Oh! And bring the documents I gave to you last week!" 

 

"Ok" 

 

That's all she ever talks about. Company this. Company that. But I'm use to it. I just wish she would try and understand me..

 

"Bring your example too!"

 

"Ok" 

 

I was beginning to get irritated. School was already a lot of work. Now I have to do stuff for the company?! Some may say I'm ungrateful but I never wanted this. I didn't ask to be born into this?! 

 

A lot of people think I have it easy just because I'm rich. Well, money is beneficial don't get me wrong. But what comes with that is loneliness, sadness, and etc. 

 

You have a dad who's always busy working. At least he cares and listens but it's hard to get a hold of him. Then you have a mom who's a workaholic. She cares so damn much about society's validation. Image is all that matters to her. She prioritizes the company over her own kid. It's like I don't even matter...

 

"See you tomorrow. Don't be late!" 

 

She finally hung up. 

 

"Ahh!" I let out. 

 

"Are you okay?" 

 

I turned around to see Hanbin with a bag of groceries. 

 

Right now? 

 

Really? 

 

He's the last person I want to see. 

 

"I'm fine." I forced a smile. 

 

"Doesn't seem like it." He raised a brow.

 

"It's just my mom" I ruffled my hair in frustration and sat down on the steps.

 

He walked towards me and sat besides me. 

 

"Here" 

 

He handed me an ice cream bar. 

 

"Tha—"

 

"Wait!" 

 

He dug around the bag and handed me a strawberry one. 

 

"Take this one instead." He smiled. 

 

Strawberry...

 

My cheeks felt hot.

 

After two years he still remembers my favorite ice cream?.. 

 

That's kind of sweet. 

 

"Thanks." I smiled and began tearing the wrapping. 

 

"You still don't get along with your mom?" He asked while the ice cream. 

 

"Sadly. How about you and your dad?" 

 

"I'm surprise you still remember?" He chuckled. 

 

"Of course. you were once my world." 

 

I don't know why I said that but it's true. I care so much about him. I could never forget Hanbin... 

 

I watched as his facial expression changed. The chain of guilt wrapped around me once again. 

 

"You were my world too..." 

 

It's sad. We were once each other's world and now we're nothing. It's crazy how you can be with someone one day and lose them the next.. 

 

"How was the event?" 

 

I changed the subject. I didn't want to get all melodramatic. Hanbin doesn't deserve to relive through the pain and memories. 

 

"It was great! Seulgi and I gave them the toys and they were so happy! You should've seen the look on their faces!" 

 

Seulgi

 

Who is this Seulgi chick anyways? Why is he always around her? 

 

"We played with them. Helped them with their toys. It was nice. I enjoyed being with them." 

 

"I still hate kids but it sounds like you had fun."  

 

Kids are annoying. They whine, beg, and cry for no reason. They're a burden. They're so messy. I don't understand how anyone can deal with that. Don't get me wrong, I hate kids but it doesn't mean I'll disrespect them. I simply just don't enjoy being with them. They're a handful. 

 

"Really? I think kids are the purest thing ever." 

 

"Umm how so?" I crossed my arms and looked at him. How is he gonna convince me that kids are great this time? He use to tell me that he wanted 5 kids when he got older. And how much he loved them. 

 

"They just do things. They don't overthink anything. All they want is freedom. They don't really know the truth about life so they do things in a carefree way. Most of all, they enjoy it." 

 

There he goes again, opening my mind. 

 

"I never thought of it like that but you're right. It must be nice to live like that." I smiled. 

 

I wish I could be carefree.. but I'm always so cautious with everything I do. I feel trapped. Sometimes I just want to run away. Start a new life. A new identity. I want to make new friends. Get a new job. I wish I wasn't me.

 

"You can live like that too." He looked at me. I felt the warmth in his eyes. They were so comfortable and welcoming. Hanbin has always so caring. That's what I like about him. Sometimes he can be a little too caring that he forgets to take care of himself. 

 

"Are you currently living like that?" I asked. 

 

He swallowed thickly and let out a light chuckle before answering. 

 

I could tell he felt a little uneasy at the sudden question. 

 

"I've been trying. It was difficult at first but I think I'm on the right path." He smiled. 

 

I felt relieved..

 

That's all I want for him. I caused him a lot of pain in the past.. I just want him to live happily. 

 

"That's a relief" I smiled back. 

 

"How about you?" He asked. 

 

I don't want to lie anymore. I should tell the truth while I have the chance. 

 

"I wish" I chuckled. 

 

"What do you mean?" He looked concern. 

 

I hated that look. The look of pity. 

 

"It's nothing major." I smiled reassuringly.

 

"It's been two years and still, you're like this?" 

 

"I don't want to lean on anyone" I said in a low tone.

 

"Why..? People care." 

 

I looked away and stared at my fingers. 

 

"Because, what if they aren't there anymore when I need them the most?" 

 

"Jen.." 

 

I looked up at him and saw how worried he was. Even back then he'd give me this look. But I'd never really tell him anything. Simply because I didn't want to burden him. 

 

"Jennie.. I was there.. I cared.. and I never left. You did." 

 

I finally saw it. The pain in his eyes as he finished the sentence. 

 

"You left"

 

"I know and I'm sorry Hanbin.. I'm not proud of that.." 

 

"But that doesn't matter anymore. I just want you to be okay. I just wish you would've communicated with me back then." 

 

"I didn't think you deserved the burden." 

 

"Jen.. what?! There's no burden! I liked you! I was okay with anything and everything! I told you everything!.."

 

He sounded irritated and confused but who could blame him? He had every right to feel that way. He has every right to say what's on his mind right now. Even if the words may hurt. 

 

"I— I wanted you to reciprocate that mindset with me!. I—"

 

I tasted the salty tears as they ran down my face. 

 

I'm so sorry Hanbin. 

 

I'm so sorry...

 

"Jen—"

 

"It's getting late. Chae will probably come looking for me. I'll go first." 

 

"Wait—!" 

 

I didn't spare him a glance and ran towards the dorm room. I couldn't take it all. It was too much to handle. I'm such a coward.. 

 

I had the chance to explain everything but I wimped out.. 

 

God! I'm so ing stupid! 

 

End of POV 

 

~~~

 

"Hey, you forgot this." 

 

Chaeyoung turned around to a tall handsome brunette smiling at her.

 

"Oh... thanks" she replied shyly. 

 

She grabbed the textbook but the brunette wouldn't let go. 

 

"Uh?.." 

 

"Oh! I'm sorry!." 

 

He cleared his throat and placed his hand out. 

 

"I'm Jeon Jungkook." 

 

"Chaeyoung." She smiled and shook his hand. 

 

"You're pretty"

 

Chaeyoung was taken aback. She blinked twice trying to process what the brunette had just said. 

 

"Y-your name!" He rubbed his nape nervously and smiled. "Your name is pretty." 

 

Chaeyoung began giggling at his cuteness. 

 

"Yah! Are you ready?! I'm starving!" Junhoe came rushing towards the two. He noticed the attraction between them and eyed Jungkook up and down. 

 

"Sorry! I forgot my book but Jungkook grabbed it for me." Chaeyoung said. 

 

Junhoe raised a brow. Not liking the atmosphere of the two. 

 

"Oh! Jungkook this is my best friend, Junhoe. Junhoe, Jungkook." 

 

Jungkook placed his hand out and smiled. 

 

"Nice to meet you." 

 

Junhoe stared at his hand and back at him. 

 

"You too." 

 

"Thank you, by the way. Maybe I'll see you around." Chaeyoung smiled. 

 

"Uh.. actually. If it's not a problem... could I perhaps get your number?" Jungkook asked. 

 

Junhoe's eyes widened. 

 

"Y-yeah. Sure." 

 

The two exchanged phone numbers leaving Junhoe in disbelief. 

 

~~~

 

"Why aren't you eating? You love rice cakes" Chaeyoung said while stuffing her face.

 

"I don't like that guy." Junhoe said.

 

"What guy?" 

 

"The smiley library guy" Junhoe retorted.

 

"Oh Jungkook? Why?" 

 

"He seems like a player." 

 

"Don't judge him." Chaeyoung scolded 

 

"I'm just saying!" Junhoe defended

 

"You look smart but you're actually dumb. So don't judge a person based off their looks" 

 

Junhoe rolled his eyes and began eating the food. 

 

"That's better. Just close your mouth and enjoy the food" Chaeyoung smiled innocently. 

 

"How are things with Sana?" 

 

Junhoe didn't respond.

 

"Yah!" 

 

"You told me to close my mouth" Junhoe smirked. 

 

"I was—"

 

"We're fine. She's been busy lately." 

 

Chaeyoung noticed that he was wearing the track pants she had bought for him and smiled. 

 

"I see you're wearing the pants" 

 

"Yeah, they're my favorite. How's everything at the church?" 

 

"Good.. you haven't been attending lately?" Chaeyoung said.

 

"Sana's been making me spend the weekends with her. I might not attend anymore." Junhoe replied.

 

Hearing that brought the blonde's mood down. 

 

"Oh..." 

 

You promised to never miss a performance...

 

"I never asked but how was New Zealand?"

 

"It was great. I'm really glad I met Jennie." Chaeyoung smiled.

 

"Thank you." Junhoe suddenly said.

 

"For what?" Chaeyoung asked in confusion 

 

"For understanding why I couldn't send you off..." Junhoe answered.

 

A year ago before Chaeyoung's flight Junhoe and Sana was on the verge of breaking up. Sana disliked it when the two of them were together.

She accused Junhoe of cheating and liking Chaeyoung. It got so bad that Sana ended up in the hospital because she starved herself for a week. It was a whole mess. 

 

Chaeyoung never thought bad of Sana. In fact she's tried plenty of times to get on her good side. But it never seemed to workout because of how stubborn Sana is. 

 

"Oh.. that's fine. You and Sana were going through things." Chaeyoung reassured. 

 

"It just you know?.. not seeing my best friend for a year. I know I didn't call and text you much but it was because of Sana." Junhoe explained.

 

"Stop. I understand." Chaeyoung said.

 

"No. It's not okay Chae!. You were all alone in a different country... yet I wasn't there for you. I'm really sorry.. I'm a bad friend Huh?" Junhoe said. 

 

Junhoe is a carefree jokester but when it came to Chaeyoung's feelings he was always careful. He knows how sensitive she can be and would always make sure she was happy. 

 

"We're adults. We have to learn how to survive on our own. Right?" Chaeyoung smiled.

 

"Still—"

 

"It's true, you're a horrible friend for that but I forgive you. I know how much your relationship with Sana means and I wouldn't want you two to break up over me. I mean come on, we're best friends. You don't have to go to that extent, Junhoe." 

 

Junhoe thought he'd felt relieve hearing those words but it somehow made him feel even worse. 

 

"Thanks." He forced a smile. 

 

"Of course." 

 

 

~~~~

 

 

Hanbin's POV

"Are you getting ready?" Junhoe barged into my room. 

 

"For what?" 

 

"Some company event. Didn't you get my text?" 

 

I reached over to my nightstand and grabbed my phone. 

 

*6 text messages*

 

"Get ready at 7 for some event"

 

"Chae invited us" 

 

"I guess it's for Jennie??" 

 

I read the messages and buried my head in the pillow. 

 

"Do we have to go?" 

 

Junhoe sat on my bed and put me in a head lock. 

 

"Yes. Plus it's not like we have anything better to do" 

 

I poked my head out of his arms to get some air and signed. 

 

"I planned on sleeping" 

 

He righted his grip around my neck. 

 

"Get up!" 

 

"Ok! Ok!" I said in defeat. 

 

He unwrapped his arms from around me and got up. 

 

I quickly grabbed one of my pillows and threw it at him. 

 

He stuck his tongue out and smiled devilishly. 

 

"I'll come annoy you in an hour" 

 

"I'll kill you" I threatened. 

 

He waved bye and closed the door. 

 

~~~

 

I parked the car and took one last glance in the mirror. 

 

"I can't believe you dragged me out for this." I sighed. 

 

"Come on, maybe you and Jen could make up." He said.

 

"Yeah.." 

 

He turned towards me. 

 

"Did something happen?" 

 

"I don't know? I think so? We were talking last night and things kind of went down hill. She ended up running away from me instead of explaining herself." I said. 

 

"She just needs some time. I know you're not pushing it but it's probably really hard for her." Junhoe explained. 

 

"I know.." I said under my breath. 

 

~~~

 

We entered the building and was welcomed by a waiter.

 

"Evening Gentlemen." The waiter offered us wine.

 

"Thank you" 

 

The waiter bowed and walked away. 

 

The event was fancy. Everything was so neatly decorated. Everyone wore their best suits and prettiest dresses. I felt left out considering I've never been to any type of event like this. It's just a bunch of old money and new money people that come to flaunt and act like they love their lives when in reality, they're miserable. 

 

I felt someone bump into me and immediately turned around to apologize. 

 

"I'm sorry—"

 

I looked up to see Jennie. 

 

She wore a black dress that revealed her shoulders. She had on some gold necklaces and dangling earrings that sparkled from a mile away. One side of her hair was folded behind her ear while the other side was neatly parted. 

 

Wow... 

 

I was in awe by her beauty. 

 

I realized that I was staring a little too long and snapped myself back into reality. 

 

"W-what are you doing here?.." she asked.

 

"Chae invited us.. I didn't know you were going to be celebrating." I answered.

 

"It's just a stupid event my mom put together. To "show appreciation" to her employees and introduce me as the new soon to be CEO." Jennie said in a annoyed tone. 

 

"Sounds like you got a lot on your plate." 

 

She sipped the glass of wine and let out a sigh. 

 

"Yeah..." 

 

"Jen—" 

 

"Mrs. Kim is looking for you. Your speech is in 5 minutes." 

 

What seemed to be her butler butted into our conversation and eyed me up and down. 

 

"Well, I have to go." She said and walked away. 

 

She seems so miserable... it's like she doesn't even want all of this. 

 

Jen.. are you okay?..

 

I was beginning to worry about her even more. She never really told me things but I knew something was off.

 

"Ladies and Gentleman. Thank you for gathering here tonight. I want to start off by saying that it has been an amazing year with all of you! K&K would not be here if it wasn't for the great employees and staff! Now, I would like to introduce to everyone the soon to be CEO of K&K. My daughter Jennie, Kim!" 

 

Everyone clapped their hands and cheered.

 

She looked like she hasn't aged at all. Wow. Beauty really does run in the family. Jennie looks just like her mom. 

 

"Hello everyone, I am Jennie Kim. Thank you for the heart warming welcome. As the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Kim, I know you all will have high expectations of me. I promise to work hard and lead us into the correct direction." Jennie bowed and received a round of applause. 

 

~~~

 

"Great speech." I said.

 

"Thanks." Jennie replied. 

 

I saw that her placing some pastries on her plate but a hand reached out and grabbed the plate. 

 

"Greens. Jennie. Greens. You need to keep your figure right." Her mom scolded and walked away. 

 

I saw that she was upset. I know how much she hated celery. Why would anyone eat one slice of steak and a thousand celeries??! 

 

I took the plate from hers and handed her mine. 

 

"W-what are you doing!?" 

 

"The celery looks amazing." I stuffed some in my mouth and smiled at her. 

 

A small smile formed on her face. 

 

"You look stupid." She chuckled.

 

"Do I look stupid now?" 

 

I placed the celery in front of my teeth and smiled even wider. 

 

She began laughing. 

 

"That's better." I said. 

 

"What?" 

 

"I don't know, you seemed to be down tonight. I thought a laugh would help." 

 

"Thanks." She smiled. 

 

"I'm sorry about last night. I didn't mean to start anything. I shouldn't have yelled at you like that. My emotions got the best of me." I apologized.

 

"Don't apologize Hanbin.. you have every right to be angry with me." 

 

She didn't need to say anything because her eyes spoke for her. I knew she was drowning in guilt. I could see it. I could feel it. 

 

"I want you to take your time." I said.

 

She looked at me in confusion. 

 

"Whenever you're ready we can finally have that conversation." I smiled. 

 

She looked a little more relieved and nodded her head in agreement. 

 

"WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM?!" 

 

Jennie and I quickly turned our heads. 

 

"What's going on?.." Jennie said. 

 

I squinted my eyes to get a better view and saw that it was Junhoe. 

 

"!" I said and began running towards the crowd.

 

"Hanbin!" Jennie shouted. 

 

Junhoe was on top of the guy punching him across the face. 

 

Everyone seemed scared. Some people were videotaping the fight. 

 

"That's enough!" I shouted and grabbed Junhoe. He pushed me off and continued punching the guy. 

 

I quickly got up and used all my strength to hold him back. 

 

"Junhoe! Stop! That's enough!" 

 

"Oh my god! He could've killed him!"

 

"What a psycho!" 

 

"I'm so scared!" 

 

"Junhoe! Calm down! Please!" Chaeyoung cried out. 

 

Chae's voice seemed to get across him. He finally stopped and stared at his hands. They were covered in blood. 

 

He looked up at me. Trembling in fear. 

 

"H-Hanbin.."