Free

Our Reality

TW// there's going to be lots of violence and death in this chapter so feel free to skip since it's really short anyways.

 

 

 

The alarm roared, waking everyone from their slumber while flashing its ominous red lights all around the camp. Soldiers piled out from the exit, frantically looking around to see what on earth was going on. But they weren’t the only ones to leave. All of the kids themselves sought this opportunity to break out of their own dorms, seeing that this was clearly distracting the soldiers. Blues helped break out Golds and Greens, then everyone ran down the stairs and knocked out any guards that tried to poorly intervene. None of them stood a chance against an entire mob of teens and kids with superpowers. Meanwhile, the girls who’d been inevitably spotted outside were also on the run for their lives, the spotlight still making them visible. They followed Zoa towards an electrified gate before abruptly halting. This honestly could’ve gone better had Jiyoon not pull the string, though to be fair, that wasn’t exactly her fault as none of them noticed it either. 

Before all of this mess, the girls were rather creative when forming this whole escape ordeal: a Plan B. Basically, if all hell breaks loose, kill any and every single soldier you see. So that’s exactly what the girls did. Along the way, Soeun made a few turn their own machine guns on themselves, Soojin and Jihan threw some far up into the air and let them drop to their doom, and Monday and Jaehee electrocuted them until their skin resembled blackened chicken. Jiyoon would’ve joined in this massacre but didn’t want to cause more trouble than she already did. Now that they were in front of the gates, they had no choice but to break it down.

 

“Either Jihan or Soojin unnie has to pull apart the bolts and open the gates!” Zoa shouted for them to hear as Jihan offered. 

“I’ll do it!” 

“Alright, I’ll hold them off!”

 

The older girl informed them before turning around and placed her hand on the dirt floor. Then, large rocks appeared, momentarily levitating and shot towards the charging soldiers, immobilizing them. Soeun mind controlled some of the soldiers to shoot each other, chuckling at how they kept telling them to stop. Monday joined in by grabbing a metal rod conveniently laying around, though tested it out first. Her hands discharged some electricity that conducted through the rod, resulting in a last minute lightning rod. Kilovolts of thunder then coursed through four soldiers simultaneously as they passed out on the floor. Even Monday herself was astonished by this discovery, then proceeded to shock more. Jaehee did the same thing in order to properly help out, but eventually, reinforcement was clearly growing in size. Therefore, Jihan had to hurry and be quicker, but the pressure only grew when the soldiers collectively opened fire, forcing all of them to dive under a large stone for cover. And while they had to reload their guns, she pushed it forward, hitting them hard and taking some out as a result.

 

“Jihannie, how is the gate looking?!” Jaehee shouted. 

“I’m working on it!” 

Then something made everyone stop. “Wait. Do you guys hear that?” Jiyoon asked as her friends nodded.

 

In the distance, the sound of kids yelling some war cries were clear as everyone could see an entire mob of them running towards the gates as well. Needless to say, the girls never expected for this to turn into a whole rebellion, but either way, now they have way more help than anticipated. Everyone started piling behind Jihan as some Blues helped her unscrew the tight bolts in order to open the gates, while others fought against the military troops. The soldiers were often outnumbered, but this only prompted for more to arrive. Upon seeing an incredibly overwhelming flock of children, all the soldiers inevitably decided to open fire, which Soojin didn’t notice in time. Now, they fired with the intent to kill. Some kids were unfortunate and fell to the ground, unable to make it. But that was already too many gone, thus Soojin created yet another barricade, though not before getting a bullet in her shoulder. She yelped in pain while clutching the injury and fell. Thankfully, Soeun caught the girl right before hitting the ground and yelled for Jihan to be quicker. 

Despite that, things only got worse from here. Soeun counted about six kids, then looked over to see Jaehee trying to keep Monday standing as her side seeped with crimson blood. She, too, got shot and was quite close to falling unconscious. Jiyoon couldn’t believe her eyes, completely at a loss of words. This was truly hell, her friends were risking their lives for freedom while those kids will never see another light of day. All of this felt overwhelming, but even that was an understatement. Jiyoon remained shell shocked for a full minute, then finally decided to not just stand around anymore. She pushed through the crowd before standing near Jihan.

 

“Let me.”

 

The younger girl realized there weren’t any other choices since they had to get out of here soon. Therefore, Jihan stepped back and allowed Jiyoon to finish the rest. Fueling the anger and disgust, her eyes and cheeks grew bright red, inhaling for some momentum. Then without another second, Jiyoon breathed out an enormous trail of fire that easily burned a massive opening through the gates. Instantly, everyone burst out of the camp and never bothered to look back, sprinting far into the forest while the girls helped their injured friends. Jaehee helped Jiyoon carry Monday on her back as Soeun held Soojin in her arms. Jihan stayed behind for a few seconds to summon a large stone barricade from the ground, blocking the soldiers from going after them. Afterwards, the group ran with every last bit of energy they had left as Zoa spotted an RV parked in front of them.

 

“Let’s go there! Can anyone drive?”

“I can.” Soeun immediately answered.

 

They hastily barged inside as Soojin was carefully seated on a couch while Monday took the bed. Luckily, the key was already locked in, therefore, Soeun ignited the engines, hastily peeling out of the parking lot and speeding away into the streets. All that could be heard was just them panting, still finding it hard to believe that they just did all of that. Escaping to freedom at last. It was too dark to really glance outside, but the girls could barely trust their own eyes upon seeing streets for the first time after six months of captivity. This felt too unreal, though in a nice way. Now all they could think of was just going back home. Throughout the whole ride, Jaehee found a medkit in one of the shelves, which helped Zoa treat Soojin and Monday. Jiyoon made some tea to help calm the two calm down as well, which thankfully, it did. Soon enough, two hours passed by and surprisingly, Soeun didn’t seem tired one bit as everyone basically passed out. Eventually, she reached an abandoned looking gas station and parked by it, then woke everyone up to go inside. Of course, the girls were reluctant because of how tired they were, but knew there could still be food inside, thus, hopped out without another word. 

Once entering, they were incredibly relieved there was at least a decent amount of food on shelves and the fridges. Jiyoon and Zoa stored all of them into the RV’s fridge and cabinets while the rest explored more of the place. Soeun reloaded the gas before going back inside the store. There, the girls were sharing some snacks and drinks, talking amongst themselves. She brushed past them and entered the bathroom, staying inside for a few minutes just to have a moment to herself. So much happened in one night, thus it was difficult to process in just a few hours. She didn’t realize how long it’d been when Soojin softly knocked on the door.

 

“Hey, Soeun ah. Are you alright?” 

“Yeah. Yeah…I’m fine.”

“Can I come in?” 

“Oh sorry, do you need to use the bathroom?”

“N-no, it’s ok, I used it earlier. I just want to talk.” Soeun raised an eyebrow, feeling confused but shrugged and opened the door, letting Soojin inside. 

“What is it?” 

“Thank you, um…for helping me back there.” 

“Oh. No problem.” 

“By the way, do you want any snacks? I saved some for you just in case.” 

“I’m good, not really in the mood to eat.”

“Oh, alright. I can drive next morning so you get some rest. You look tired.” Soojin looked at Soeun’s baggy eyes. 

“Is your shoulder ok?” 

“It’s fine, totally.” 

“Well…if you insist. But make sure it doesn’t hurt too much.” Soojin nodded, smiling. “I guess we should go back to the RV now.” 

“Yeah.” Afterwards, Soeun decided to sleep in the reclined passenger seat, Soojin and Zoa shared the couch while the everyone else crowded on the bed, Monday unfortunately smack dab in the middle. They all slept soundly, some occasional snoring from Jiyoon which had Jihan hitting her with a pillow. Other than that, the girls had nice slumber, though the thought of being caught again was still very much prevalent. Their only objective now was to hide away from authorities.