Date

Our Reality

 

Last night was crazier than anyone expected. Some went to sleep early while most didn’t hit the bed till morning. Several kids were snoring in their SWAT trucks as many others crashed into the motel. Luckily, the girls were one of the early kids to sleep…actually, they were the only ones, but besides that, they’d kept their doors locked till the next day, all planning to move the rebuilt houses. First, Zoa and Monday woke up first and used the motorcycles to claim an unoccupied house. Then, the rest of them woke around seven, packing their things into their RV before signalling Soeun to back out from behind the motel. With the amount of items they gathered for themselves, it crowded the whole interior. But Soeun arrived at their chosen house in no time, allowing them to finally hop out and breathe. Soojin and Jihan helped unload all of the girls’ belongings into the house, which thankfully still had some furniture. The living had a large couch, small coffee table and a retro tv. In their new kitchen, they transferred all of their food inside the large fridge, as well as taking time to decorate the whole interior. Afterwards, they checked the bathrooms upstairs and downstairs, pleasantly surprised that both had bathtubs. Then, for the finale, it was time to visit the bedrooms. Unfortunately, there were only two master bedrooms and a small one, which meant someone had to sleep downstairs. Zoa offered at first, but Monday interrupted by saying she’d take the sofa instead. Despite their unsure questions, they eventually shrugged it off. Jiyoon decided to stay with Monday while everyone else unpacked their belongings. Soeun and Soojin picked one master bedroom as Jihan and Jaehee chose the other, while Zoa just opted for the small room since it fit after all.

 

“Ugh, finally~ we’re done with the closet.” Jihan plopped on their bed as Jaehee laughed before laying down with her. 

“Now we can relax.” They both sighed in relief. “Last night was so much fun. The most I’ve had in so long.” 

“Yeah! Even more fun when we went on that roller coaster.” 

“I know, right?? I could’ve swore the person behind us passed out like five times.”

“How’d you know?” 

“Well, they were screaming for a second and then just stopped out of nowhere.” 

“Huh, that must’ve been thrilling.” 

Jaehee giggled at the memory, uttering quietly. “When we saw Soeun and Soojin unnie though.” 

Then Jihan burst into laughter. “They were totally on a date.” 

“I figured so.”

“They both look good together, too. Ahh I’m sort of jealous.” 

“Why?” 

“Because I want to have that someday.”

“O-oh.” Jaehee cleared . “What makes you think so?”

“Well…” The younger girl shifted a little in her spot. “I don’t know, the feeling of wanting a relationship just came out of nowhere sorta.”

“I see. When did you start feeling that?” 

“It’s sort of complicated.” 

“Try me.” 

“Kind of before all of this? While we were still in school.” 

“You had a crush on someone since school??”

“Or—well, not ‘had’, but I still have that crush.” 

“Oooh, really? Who is it?” Jaehee teasingly narrowed her eyes at Jihan, who broke into a cold sweat after realizing what she just said. 

“U-uh……I can, give you hints?” 

This made her pout. “Why not just tell me the name?” 

“Because…” Jihan couldn’t think of anything to save herself. “I’m not entirely ready to reveal that. Not yet at least.” She blinked, confused since she’d never seen her best friend this nervous before, but thought it was best to just ignore it for Jihan’s sake. 

“Alright, give me the hint then.” 

“I’ve known them for a long time.” 

“How long?” 

“A few years.” Jaehee began suspecting one of their school friends.

“Hm…is it either—”

Just then, there was a knock on their door as Jihan hastily got up from the bed to open it, revealing Soeun. “Oh, morning unnie! What’s up?”

“I, um, I kinda need your guys’ help with something.” It sounded serious so the two immediately let her inside to talk it out. 

“What is it?” Jaehee asked with utter concern. 

“I could use some advice is all.” 

The younger girls glanced at each other, then back at her. “Advice about what?” 

“Uh…please don’t laugh.” Jihan reassured they wouldn’t before she continued. “How do I ask Soojin out for a date?” Well that was unexpected.

 

 


 

 

Monday, Jiyoon, and Zoa were in the middle of fixing breakfast dishes for everyone, setting dishes, silverware and mugs on the table. The delicious aroma of pancakes, scrambled eggs, and sliced fruit filled the whole kitchen, attracting the first customer down, as Jiyoon liked to say. Soojin chuckled upon hearing that before taking a seat at the table, which prompted Zoa to smoothly slide the food onto her plate. She was impressed by how well it was cooked nonetheless, then got surprised when Monday drenched the pancakes with maple syrup, while Jiyoon filled her mug with fresh milk. The trio did all of this to thank her for the cinnamon rolls, which Soojin said it was no big deal, though remained grateful for them nonetheless. After taking a few bites from the pancakes, it tasted better than she expected, making Zoa blush a little. The fruit and eggs were also a great combination as well, making the dish even nicer. Soon enough, Soeun, Jihan and Jaehee came down to the dining table where they all finished quickly before cleaning the dishes. Afterwards, Zoa went to work with May and Ruann to count their rations, as well as review how many weapons they’d stolen from the bounty hunters yesterday. Monday and Jiyoon biked towards the motor garage to meet with other kids, then help find remaining vehicles around town. On the other hand, Jihan and Jaehee walked to the skatepark together to hang out there. And lastly, Soeun and Soojin remained in the house for a while, just watching TV together to catch up with the latest popular shows. Although kids shows had been banned around the world, Zoa managed to somehow pirate them into their TV, thus the two were currently binge watching childhood series, bringing back their nostalgia.

 

“I remember I used to watch this with Zoa and our parents. We always had a good time with these.”

“I’m gonna be honest with you, I’ve never seen this show before.” 

Soojin gasped dramatically. “Never??” 

“No.” Soeun laughed, amused by the older girl’s further shock. 

“This is one of their best episodes ever!” 

“What’s it about?” 

“It’s about the main guy being attracted to this girl in his grade and wants to ask her to go on a date, but chickens out the last second because she was apparently dating someone else. Then turns out, it was all just a rumor, her supposed date was an . Even better, she actually liked the main character and they officially date after that.” 

“Oh, that sounds pretty nice. Wwhole episode is spoiled.” She chuckled as Soojin playfully hit her shoulder. 

“But it’s fine, now you won’t have to feel the same tension I did years ago. Seeing this for the first time made me so anxious.” 

“How come?” 

“Because I was really hoping the main character would get his chance. He’s been through a lot and for the most part, I can kind of relate to him.” Soeun didn’t say anything back, instead nodded understanding. But after twenty minutes of fully watching it, she found herself relating a lot to the guy as well, before nervously turning to Soojin, who was fixated on the next episode. “H-hey, um….”

“Hm?” The older girl faced her. 

“I want to ask you something, if you don’t mind?” 

“What’s up?” 

“Uh—ahem…do you wanna go to the beach with me? At lunch?” 

“Oh, sure. What for?”

“Just to hang out a-and have a talk.” 

Soojin was confused as to why Soeun looked nervous. “Yeah, of course. I don’t mind.”

 

She smiled before turning back to the TV. For the time being, they both continued binge watching old childhood shows, while occasionally getting up for snack or bathroom breaks. The two constantly gossiped about the characters for hours on end, finding it fun when they both had similar opinions. But when they didn’t, it turned into a playful debate, arguing who was better than the other. For the next few shows, Soeun decided to spend some time in the kitchen alone, secretly grabbing a picnic basket that Jaehee let her borrow, then stuffed some snacks and banana milk inside for her and Soojin to eat later. At last, it was finally lunch time, thus Soeun held the older girl’s hand towards the exact location that Jihan had told her about. Soojin didn’t know what to expect, but felt excited to spend the day with Soeun. She then gasped at the beautiful garden full of different types of colorful flowers, bending down to take a closer look at them. With her back turned, Soeun frantically searched for a red rose before Soojin could look behind. Seconds later, she finally found one that had been in front of her, hastily plucking it out right as the older girl stood up. Her smile grew even wider when Soeun presented the rose.

 

“Here, this belongs to you.” 

Soojin softly gasped. “It’s so beautiful…I love it.” 

“Y-yeah, well…you’re more beautiful.” 

Her heart stopped upon hearing the compliment, blushing immensely. “Thank you.” 

“Of course.” She smiled back. “Ahem, wanna head to the beach now?”

 

Soojin nodded in response, holding her hand even tighter. They settled on the sand as Soeun set up the large umbrella for shade, laid out the blanket, and opened the picnic basket, taking all of their favorite snacks out. Soojin was surprised by how much she brought along with them, wondering how Soeun was able to carry the heavy basket. The younger girl didn’t seem to mind the weight at all, passing it off as exercise. For about an hour or two, they ate cookies, toast with chocolate spread, and of course: banana milk. Soojin’s day could be brightened up just by a small bottle of it, as if it was her kryptonite. To make her day even better, Soeun revealed all kinds of funny stories back in high school that made them laugh till their stomachs hurt like hell. Overall, it was a fun quality time for the two getting to know each other more. Soojin talked about friends, school life, and her terrible skills regarding sports, which Soeun could only disagree with. After going back and forth deciding, they finally agreed to skate to the basketball court after changing at home. Soojin was nervous about playing in front of her, but after constant reassurances, she felt relaxed as the two arrived. Soeun honestly had the patience of a saint while teaching her how to play basketball, but only when it came to Soojin. Anyone else, she’d be slightly frustrated with. This process definitely took a while, lasting till early evening, but they both had lots of fun and, for the most part, Soojin actually began to know what she was doing. Her biggest accomplishment was scoring a goal without using her powers, immediately cheering and giving Soeun a bear hug. However, the two girls didn’t realize how close they were after looking at each other’s eyes, simultaneously getting enchanted. Then, unknowingly, both of them slowly leaned closer and closer, the tips of their noses softly touching…until they were rudely interrupted by Monday.

 

“Hey guys!” Soeun and Soojin were startled, immediately separating to look at her and Jiyoon smirking.

“Nice to see you here!”

“What the hell do you want?” 

“We’re gonna go party at the roller skate rink again. Wanna come?” Monday asked. 

“Y-yeah, yeah, sure.” Soojin timidly released herself from the hug, but quickly kissed Soeun’s cheek, perplexing the girl. “Sorry, was that too much?” 

“No, no not at all. I-I kind of liked that.” 

She giggled before doing it again once more. “Let’s go together, don’t wanna miss their live performance.”

 

Then for the rest of the night, the band partied hard with their audience more hyped than yesterday. Right before performing, however, Jiyoon had announced their group’s name that had everyone chanting it: Weeekly. “We’re bringing you guys music 7 days a week, 365 days a year!” Jiyoon was really getting into it. While they played a famous rock song, kids kept repeating the name, which eventually got stuck in their heads for a while. The concert lasted for about two hours, the remaining half becoming huge karaoke sessions with all of them participating, then everyone went home at last. Jiyoon, Monday and Zoa high fived each other after yet another successful concert, before meeting the rest of their friends at home. Everyone celebrated in the living room with late night movie binges, followed with lots of popcorn. Jihan and Jaehee whispered to ask how her date went, to which she responded it went really well, even informing them about what happened at the basketball court. The two kids had to stop themselves squealing like idiots before giggling to themselves and continued watching some Disney movie with them. Hours into the night, Monday and Jiyoon were both fast asleep on their stretched out sofa, Jihan and Jaehee snoring by the foot of it, Zoa had gone up to her own room, and lastly, Soeun and Soojin cuddling in their bed, having slipped into dreamland a while ago.